Liverpool want £12 million for Kent

uneasydaz

Liverpool will demand £12 million ($15.3m) for Ryan Kent this summer, with the young winger set to turn down the chance to join Leeds United on loan.

The 22-year-old is in demand following an excellent season with Rangers in the Scottish Premiership. Kent was voted Scotland’s Young Player of the Year having made 43 appearances for Steven Gerrard’s side, scoring six goals.

Leeds made a formal offer to take the Oldham-born wide man on loan next season, but sources close to the situation have told Goal that Kent’s preference would be to either stake a claim for a first-team spot at Liverpool or to join another club permanently.

In terms of the latter, Liverpool believe a fee of £12m would be reasonable for a player of Kent’s experience.

The Reds have noted the transfer of Daniel James, the Swansea winger who joined Manchester United in a deal which could be worth up to £18m ($23m) deal earlier this month. James, 21, moves to Old Trafford on the back of just 43 first-team appearances, and had just a year left on his contract too.

Kent, in contrast, is contracted to Liverpool until 2022 and now boasts 125 senior appearances from spells with Coventry, Barnsley, Freiburg, Bristol Cityand Rangers.

Furthermore, the absence of Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane for the bulk of the Reds’ pre-season fixtures means he would be likely to get a shot at impressing Jurgen Klopp, should he choose to stay.

Rangers would love to take him back to Ibrox, but are unlikely to match Liverpool’s asking price, while newly-promoted Aston Villa are among the clubs to have registered an interest in a permanent deal.

Middlesbrough is another potential destination. The Teesiders are set to appoint Jonathan Woodgate as their new manager, and the former Leeds and England defender enjoys a strong relationship with Liverpool’s recruitment team, including sporting director Michael Edwards. Boro were close to signing Kent in 2017, but missed out to Freiburg.

Leeds’ offer, it is understood, was loan-only, but should Marcelo Bielsa’s side offload talented teenager Jack Clarke – Crystal Palace and Tottenham have been linked with a move for the 18-year-old – they could return with a permanent offer for Kent.

It is anticipated that there will be significant spending at Elland Road this summer following Bielsa’s decision to stay at the club and fight for promotion once more.

Rangers, meanwhile, are favourites to land another Liverpool winger, Sheyi Ojo, on a season-long loan deal.

Ojo endured a mixed campaign with Ligue 1 side Reims, where he started just three games, and is keen for a positive loan spell to kick-start his career, much in the same way Kent has at Rangers, or Harry Wilson has done with both Hull and Derby.

Talks between Rangers and Liverpool have already taken place, but Ojo has been given time to consider his options as he enjoys a post-season holiday. Progress is anticipated in the next week

Who knows if this is true or not, but as I said in the other thread, I would completely understand if Kent wants a permanent move somewhere.

He will not want to become one of these players who keeps going out on loan. Will want to lay down roots somewhere. That's fair enough.
I’m pretty much resigning to the fact he won’t return but if he does it’s a huge bonus.

Better players than Kent have left us and we’ve done not too bad

Don’t think it’s happening now.

Nothing should be holding this up.
The player, Rangers, Liverpool have had months to discuss this. They must have known around March/April time what the outcome was going to be for next season.

He either wants to come on loan again, or Liverpool want to sell to someone else. There's nothing else to it.

No need for it to be drawn out. However I'd like to think a decision one way or the other is imminent.

Kent should do another season at Rangers; he has room for progress, particularly in his final ball, and it would do him no harm to play for club challenging for a league title with a strong emphasis in attacking football. What if he plays elsewhere next season and it doesn't work out? At this stage in his career he should play where he is happy, and he will get better after another season at Rangers. All the best to him wherever he goes, but even better for him, and us, if he stays here.

I love Kent but im hardly going to burst into tears if he doesn’t come back .

The way I see it , looks 90 per cent certain Liverpool want to cash in now while his stock is high.

If by some chance he comes back for another year it’s a huge bonus but as I say , there’s no point shedding any spilt milk over it if it doesn’t .

Come to Rangers and your value rockets. Great message for loan players.
:D
Ecrfs0M.jpg

Why is his value also shown in dollars? Thought it was only oil that was valued in dollars. Hence imo the report is shite

If he was one of our youths the papers up here would have a £3m price tag on his head and £10m if he played for the poets

He's abroad at the moment anyway, i have a hunch he'll be back next season. In fact its likely, unless someone is willing to stump up the cash for him.

It reads like someone's just rehashed the story as it stood about a month ago?

Liverpool will demand £12 million ($15.3m) for Ryan Kent this summer, with the young winger set to turn down the chance to join Leeds United on loan.

The 22-year-old is in demand following an excellent season with Rangers in the Scottish Premiership. Kent was voted Scotland’s Young Player of the Year having made 43 appearances for Steven Gerrard’s side, scoring six goals.

Leeds made a formal offer to take the Oldham-born wide man on loan next season, but sources close to the situation have told Goal that Kent’s preference would be to either stake a claim for a first-team spot at Liverpool or to join another club permanently.

In terms of the latter, Liverpool believe a fee of £12m would be reasonable for a player of Kent’s experience.

The Reds have noted the transfer of Daniel James, the Swansea winger who joined Manchester United in a deal which could be worth up to £18m ($23m) deal earlier this month. James, 21, moves to Old Trafford on the back of just 43 first-team appearances, and had just a year left on his contract too.

Kent, in contrast, is contracted to Liverpool until 2022 and now boasts 125 senior appearances from spells with Coventry, Barnsley, Freiburg, Bristol Cityand Rangers.

Furthermore, the absence of Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane for the bulk of the Reds’ pre-season fixtures means he would be likely to get a shot at impressing Jurgen Klopp, should he choose to stay.

Rangers would love to take him back to Ibrox, but are unlikely to match Liverpool’s asking price, while newly-promoted Aston Villa are among the clubs to have registered an interest in a permanent deal.

Middlesbrough is another potential destination. The Teesiders are set to appoint Jonathan Woodgate as their new manager, and the former Leeds and England defender enjoys a strong relationship with Liverpool’s recruitment team, including sporting director Michael Edwards. Boro were close to signing Kent in 2017, but missed out to Freiburg.

Leeds’ offer, it is understood, was loan-only, but should Marcelo Bielsa’s side offload talented teenager Jack Clarke – Crystal Palace and Tottenham have been linked with a move for the 18-year-old – they could return with a permanent offer for Kent.

It is anticipated that there will be significant spending at Elland Road this summer following Bielsa’s decision to stay at the club and fight for promotion once more.

Rangers, meanwhile, are favourites to land another Liverpool winger, Sheyi Ojo, on a season-long loan deal.

Ojo endured a mixed campaign with Ligue 1 side Reims, where he started just three games, and is keen for a positive loan spell to kick-start his career, much in the same way Kent has at Rangers, or Harry Wilson has done with both Hull and Derby.

Talks between Rangers and Liverpool have already taken place, but Ojo has been given time to consider his options as he enjoys a post-season holiday. Progress is anticipated in the next week

Filed under uttter pish

It reads like someone's just rehashed the story as it stood about a month ago?
Neil Jones is the Liverpool correspondent from Goal, formerly of the Echo. If he is the one who wrote it and it is recent, then I would imagine he has at least spoken to someone close to the situation and not just rehashed an article.

It seems likely the position all along has been if they get an offer that matches their value he goes, if not it will be us on loan

Can see this going long into the transfer window unless Gerrard can work magic

I love Kent but im hardly going to burst into tears if he doesn’t come back .

The way I see it , looks 90 per cent certain Liverpool want to cash in now while his stock is high.

If by some chance he comes back for another year it’s a huge bonus but as I say , there’s no point shedding any spilt milk over it if it doesn’t .

yeah, Im not gonna cry over any tears either ;)

Two things about this, the kind of clubs who will be looking at Kent will probably consider £12 million a fairly risk proposition given he's had one good season in Scotland.
Secondly, his end product needs to improve, a lot. He's all potential at the moment. He's not good enough for the premier League IMO. Not yet. It is my slightly biased opinion that everyone would win with one more year with us. But money talks.

I have to think that with Ojo joining up it more or less spells the end for Kent’s return.

Even with Middleton and Hastie going out on loan we’d still have six wide players on the books and Kent would make it seven.

That’s at least two too many, IMO.

Last edited:
Back