Kilmarnock to introduce safe standing

It’ll be most likely the Broomloan Front which really isn’t the best considering that clubs can ask for a bigger allocation and essentially their supporters are in our own safe standing section. Most folk will attack me for this but I would prefer the Copland Front to be where safe standing is as it’s the “traditional Rangers End” and is currently lacking in atmosphere. Stick the UB behind the goal posts and then offer the folk behind the goals a better seat elsewhere in the stadium. Not everyone’s going to be happy but it’s probably the best option imo. There’s no point of safe standing if you’re not going to allow the Ultras to be in it. Completely defeats the purpose.

Alternatively as previously mentioned the Broomie Front would be the least issue as vast majority there already stand and want to create an atmosphere and most folk can stand where they want in safe standing areas.

Worst place to put it would be the Enclosures, no TV coverage and is not a large wall of supporters where large flags and tifos (displays) can be created.

Its patter like this that makes people dig their heels in. You are also correct , punters with season tickets for 30 odd years are loyal and deserve a little bit of respect.

Its "punters" like these that "dig their heels in", and hold the club and the rest of us back. What respect do they have for the rest of us?

The old standing enclosures had a great atmosphere in their day.
What’s it to be? Improve the atmosphere or get yourself on the tele? I think the latter plays a big part in the push for behind the goal.

Its not about individuals getting on the tele. I love to see our fans creating a fabulous atmosphere with their banners, flags and displays. My favourite all time Rangers' poster is the one with the flag day. Im not in it.

So they can get more Rangers fans in. Why would they need a standing area only get few thousand at the games.

And then we surrender part of it in Europe and in cup competitions if a team demands and gets a bigger than normal allocation. Genius Idea

How many times is that going to happen? Did Aberdeen get a bigger allocation in the cup? No. The biggest allocation we would have to give in Europe is just over 2000 by the time segregation is taken into account, and that’s not going to happen very often. Btw, nobody said it was a genius suggestion, it’s probably the only likely outcome though.

Not at all, CF works just as well. The only people guaranteed a seat in a safe standing section would be those already seated in that area imo. So for instance if it was CF then the likes of UB and anyone else who wanted to move would need to wait for the people who’re currently situated there to vacate before they apply to be in the new area. Only fair way of doing it.

You are missing my point, I said in my post that the CF and or the Govan West Corner would be the ideal place. I said the BF was the only realistic option, you have just confirmed that with your comment about having to wait on those in the CF vacating their seats. How many are going to stick their hand up and say ‘just take my seat’? It would be far easier in the BF as half are already standing.

Can't stand Killie, but that's a good move. And I like this sensible/pragmatic approach:

I would like to thank existing Season Ticket holders in this area, some of which have held their seats for a number of years, as they have very kindly agreed to move from the areas affected.

“We have been working hard to ensure they are satisfied with the service they received from our team to make sure they got the best alternative arrangements. Supporters in this area and Trust in Killie members will get first refusal in the new safe standing areas, but we are sure that there will be enough to appeal supporter demands.”

Take note Rangers !!!
You know fine well though a small section of our fans won't move their seats for safe standing. It'll be the old why should we have to move when there's 40 odd thousand other fans who don't have to move theirs. I'm all for it but I can guarantee if and when the time comes some fans won't budge which is a shame but I hope I'm wrong and they do agree to it . It would improve the already brilliant atmosphere we already have at the club.

I like this attitude.

More of this please!

This is the right attitude, but people in CD7, BF etc are unlikely to have had their ST for 10, 15 or 20 years plus, so there is less of a feeling of emotional attachment to the seat and people around you. Guys in CF are going to be more difficult to persuade to move, you would need to offer them either a discount or a better seat, possible both.
I’m in BF 4 and would have a decision to make should safe standing be brought in. I’m 48 and not getting any younger, I actually stand at every game anyway because I’m in the back row, but I’m not sure that at my age I would want to be part of a safe standing area/singing section going forward, although I do stand at the moment and join in when any singing gets as far as our section.

You are missing my point, I said in my post that the CF and or the Govan West Corner would be the ideal place. I said the BF was the only realistic option, you have just confirmed that with your comment about having to wait on those in the CF vacating their seats. How many are going to stick their hand up and say ‘just take my seat’? It would be far easier in the BF as half are already standing.
It would be easier but things like cup allocations and European allocations will most likely mean it’s a logistical nightmare for the club. Whereas CF is easy.

It would be easier but things like cup allocations and European allocations will most likely mean it’s a logistical nightmare for the club. Whereas CF is easy.

It wouldn’t be any different to the situation now. Safe standing can’t be used in Europe anyway. For cup allocations the seats would just be put back to normal seats. Anyway, Aberdeen were only given their normal allocation in the cup.

Surely the BF is the only realistic option? I’m not sure you are right in saying the general opinion is that it would be one of the worst places to have it. Ideally it would be in the CF and or the Govan East Corner, but that would mean moving more people that in the BF. Half of the BF is already an unofficial standing area anyway, obviously BF 1 and 2 are where most people stand, but I’m in BF4 and there’s a fair few people stand there too. The idea would meet the least resistance if it was introduced in the Broomloan Front.

It is going to be the Broomloan Front ( when we eventually get around to it ).

There isn’t any point discussing other sections or areas for all the reasons you have pointed out and more .

On the extremely rare occasion where a visiting club gets more tickets than the away corner, the seats are simply locked down as a seated area for that game . It’s not an issue at all , it’s no different than the current set up in terms of this . As I say it’s not something that will need to happen often , if at all in the future .

This is the right attitude, but people in CD7, BF etc are unlikely to have had their ST for 10, 15 or 20 years plus, so there is less of a feeling of emotional attachment to the seat and people around you. Guys in CF are going to be more difficult to persuade to move, you would need to offer them either a discount or a better seat, possible both.
I’m in BF 4 and would have a decision to make should safe standing be brought in. I’m 48 and not getting any younger, I actually stand at every game anyway because I’m in the back row, but I’m not sure that at my age I would want to be part of a safe standing area/singing section going forward, although I do stand at the moment and join in when any singing gets as far as our section.
Part of the reason that the atmosphere is so poor at Ibrox and why we need to introduce things like safe standing is because area like CF have regressed into nothing more than a library on match days.

CF offers nothing to the matchday atmosphere and pro rata it is an are which probably has most empty seats for most games.

The Copland has regressed so much that it is no longer a proper home end.

Can you imagine Liverpool fans letting the Kop get to this state??!

None of us own a seat at Ibrox.

Part of the reason that the atmosphere is so poor at Ibrox and why we need to introduce things like safe standing is because area like CF have regressed into nothing more than a library on match days.

CF offers nothing to the matchday atmosphere and pro rata it is an are which probably has most empty seats for most games.

The Copland has regressed so much that it is no longer a proper home end.

Can you imagine Liverpool fans letting the Kop get to this state??!

None of us own a seat at Ibrox.

You are preaching to the converted here mate, I agree with everything you’ve said, CF is ideal, I just don’t see it happening there though. In fact, if Rangers ever do come round to the idea, I can see them just making it BF1 and BF2 as a trial.

Seems our board are sleeping on this but I do appreciate they've got loads on their plate in regards to repairing other parts of the stadium.

Safe Standing is a massively bigger conundrum for Ibrox than it is Rugby Park but I have to admit it doesn't seem like a priority to our board.

I'm of the opinion that we should be moving mountains for the Union Bears because they are literally the heart beat of Ibrox. Without them the place wouldn't be the same and some sort of standing area should be a focus over the next year or two.

How many times is that going to happen? Did Aberdeen get a bigger allocation in the cup? No. The biggest allocation we would have to give in Europe is just over 2000 by the time segregation is taken into account, and that’s not going to happen very often. Btw, nobody said it was a genius suggestion, it’s probably the only likely outcome though.

Kilmarnock got part of it last season.

Half of Europe do this so why should it be a problem to us ? We are in danger of being stuck in the past. While other clubs sweep up a new generation of fans we stagnate. 1 we need to increase the capacity of Ibrox .Money can be recouped by holding concerts increased revenue .We can't afford to stagnate when even clubs like Kilmarnock are taking the initiative.

Happy to write off ticket revenue and happy to fund stadium upgrades, but can’t afford a decent pitch for their club!!

The fact their fans actually gloat about that “pitch” actually bursts my balls!

It doesn't matter how many times , so long as there is a chance then it cannot be placed there .

In your opinion. You would only lose a couple of hundred seats for one game. Stop being a drama queen. The BF is by far the most likely place where it would be, people jumping up and down about it isn’t going to make a difference. Pardon the pun:cool:

In your opinion. You would only lose a couple of hundred seats for one game. Stop being a drama queen. The BF is by far the most likely place where it would be, people jumping up and down about it isn’t going to make a difference. Pardon the pun:cool:

Could you imagine Liverpool giving up even the slightest chunk of The Kop to accommodate opposition fans ? No me neither

Could you imagine Liverpool giving up even the slightest chunk of The Kop to accommodate opposition fans ? No me neither

It’s not The Kop though, is it? As I said, I don’t think it will be a full stand initially anyway, more likely to be a couple of sections.

Are you saying the only way an away opponent can only get increased allocation is by going into the broomloan section from the away corner should this become safe standing?
Surely the first or second section in the sandy jardine could also accommodate any increased away allocation which would preserve the safe standing area solely for home fans.
But the argument remains - how would these fans in the sandy jardine feel about being decanted for no more than a couple of games a season should safe standing be in the Broomloan?

The increased away allocation argument is still an issue in the broomloan or sandy jardine stand for season ticket holders should the safe standing be in the Copland stand.

How many season ticket holders currently in the broomloan front who want safe standing?

Compare this with how many season ticket holder currently in the Copland front who want safe standing.

Unfortunately the views and wishes of season ticket holders in all other parts of the stadium are secondary to those who will actually be affected by the introduction of safe standing area in either the broomloan or Copland.
It is easy to want to be a part of safe standing if you are up with the gods at the back of the club deck and hate the climb up every game and see safe standing as a useful way to be relocated - you just need to look at the spivs boycott and the number of fans who wanted a better seat than their current one - it will be no different with the introduction of safe standing- hence my opinion that only those who will be directly affected by the introduction of safe standing should be consulted whether they are in the broomloan or Copland stands - this needs to be done properly with a degree of compassion without the drama of those who will not be directly affected shouting the loudest.

Its "punters" like these that "dig their heels in", and hold the club and the rest of us back. What respect do they have for the rest of us?

Here we go......

Tell me this - if Safe standing is the catalyst for Atmosphere then how come Vienna and Celtic x2 had Ibrox rocking this season?

Safe standing is not going to make Rangers vs Hamilton, or Dundee or St Johnstone more atmospheric, it is simply nonsense to suggest it is, it is football, big games = atmosphere, big tough games = fans roaring the team on.
Run of the mill games = people rightly or wrongly, waiting for the players to get them out the seat.

If I was asked, consulted about whether I wanted safe standing and was willing to move my season ticket I would do it in a heartbeat (I doubt BAR72 would be chosen though), because I believe safe standing makes the game more enjoyable, I prefer standing, nothing to do with atmosphere, just enjoy the game more.

But if I am getting an attitude like yours and told to move, I am digging my heels in, I am telling you to away and take a %^*& to yourself and I am telling the club I am not moving.

Turning it into a "We are being held back" "You don't want whats best for the club" "your not as much a supporter as me" just creates a division and is when the club decide you know what, enough is enough.

A serious grown-up discussion, with proper consultation, should take place, wailing of arms and stomping of feet and you should be told to sit in the corner and stick a hat on.

You, or people like you telling me I don't want whats best for Rangers when I financially contribute thousands a year to them all because I don't get up and give it laldy vs Hamilton is the type of attitude that makes fans think of certain people as "Wee arseholes who need to grow up".

The argument of reason needs to be applied here - pray tell me how many clubs in the past 10 to 20years have demanded an increased away ticket allocation at Ibrox?
Few and far between unless it’s been a pre season friendly.

The argument of reason needs to be applied here - pray tell me how many clubs in the past 10 to 20years have demanded an increased away ticket allocation at Ibrox?
Few and far between unless it’s been a pre season friendly.

Hibs have had the Broomloan on a couple of occasions in the cup
Man U and Stuttgart have had half of the Broomloan Front off the top of my head on Europe.
Morton , Dundee and QOTS have had half of the Broomloan Front as well
In addition the season we didn't get promoted from the championship Hearts got BF4 and BF5

Are you saying the only way an away opponent can only get increased allocation is by going into the broomloan section from the away corner should this become safe standing?
Surely the first or second section in the sandy jardine could also accommodate any increased away allocation which would preserve the safe standing area solely for home fans.
But the argument remains - how would these fans in the sandy jardine feel about being decanted for no more than a couple of games a season should safe standing be in the Broomloan?

The increased away allocation argument is still an issue in the broomloan or sandy jardine stand for season ticket holders should the safe standing be in the Copland stand.

How many season ticket holders currently in the broomloan front who want safe standing?

Compare this with how many season ticket holder currently in the Copland front who want safe standing.

Unfortunately the views and wishes of season ticket holders in all other parts of the stadium are secondary to those who will actually be affected by the introduction of safe standing area in either the broomloan or Copland.
It is easy to want to be a part of safe standing if you are up with the gods at the back of the club deck and hate the climb up every game and see safe standing as a useful way to be relocated - you just need to look at the spivs boycott and the number of fans who wanted a better seat than their current one - it will be no different with the introduction of safe standing- hence my opinion that only those who will be directly affected by the introduction of safe standing should be consulted whether they are in the broomloan or Copland stands - this needs to be done properly with a degree of compassion without the drama of those who will not be directly affected shouting the loudest.

You make complete sense. It can work anywhere really as the club CAN just move people at their will. However as u say it should be decided on a certain area (BF or CF imo) and then the ST holders in that area canvassed and a decision reached from there. Then those people get first dibs and the remainder is offered to others (RSC and groups like UB etc)

You make complete sense. It can work anywhere really as the club CAN just move people at their will. However as u say it should be decided on a certain area (BF or CF imo) and then the ST holders in that area canvassed and a decision reached from there. Then those people get first dibs and the remainder is offered to others (RSC and groups like UB etc)

Sense at last

Utter nonsense. Killie, the club who introduced a plastic pitch due to financial reasons, have suddenly found enough money to introduce safe standing but can’t afford to lay a grass pitch. Really? Where’s the sporting integrity?

Utter nonsense. Killie, the club who introduced a plastic pitch due to financial reasons, have suddenly found enough money to introduce safe standing but can’t afford to lay a grass pitch. Really? Where’s the sporting integrity?

Clubs really should have it taken out of there hands.

Some of the grants being handed to clubs is enough to make sure they don't need Artificial pitches, in the SPFL at least.

Hibs have had the Broomloan on a couple of occasions in the cup
Man U and Stuttgart have had half of the Broomloan Front off the top of my head on Europe.
Morton , Dundee and QOTS have had half of the Broomloan Front as well
In addition the season we didn't get promoted from the championship Hearts got BF4 and BF5
So in effect you might and I say might get 1 or 2 teams a season demanding an increased allocation in cup games - bearing in mind only around 26 thousand season ticket holders actually sign up to all non league games - how does that argument go about away teams demanding an increased allocation when only around 26k season ticket holders commit to attending these games ( unless we draw a plum tie at home) then all others demand a ticket for these games.
As for league games no one has in reality never ever demanded an increased allocation

The blind debate and scoffing at anyone questioning safe standing is in flow at times on this thread I see.

Note: I am all for safe standing.

I wish they had a decent pitch instead, safe standing is just a gimmick, they will still be sh1te to watch week in week out

It’ll be most likely the Broomloan Front which really isn’t the best considering that clubs can ask for a bigger allocation and essentially their supporters are in our own safe standing section. Most folk will attack me for this but I would prefer the Copland Front to be where safe standing is as it’s the “traditional Rangers End” and is currently lacking in atmosphere. Stick the UB behind the goal posts and then offer the folk behind the goals a better seat elsewhere in the stadium. Not everyone’s going to be happy but it’s probably the best option imo. There’s no point of safe standing if you’re not going to allow the Ultras to be in it. Completely defeats the purpose.

Alternatively as previously mentioned the Broomie Front would be the least issue as vast majority there already stand and want to create an atmosphere and most folk can stand where they want in safe standing areas.

Worst place to put it would be the Enclosures, no TV coverage and is not a large wall of supporters where large flags and tifos (displays) can be created.

BF1, BF2 and BF3 should be our safe standing.

Half of Europe do this so why should it be a problem to us ? We are in danger of being stuck in the past. While other clubs sweep up a new generation of fans we stagnate. 1 we need to increase the capacity of Ibrox .Money can be recouped by holding concerts increased revenue .We can't afford to stagnate when even clubs like Kilmarnock are taking the initiative.

If you want to know why its a problem for us just look at some of the replies on here. Those protesting against safe standing think they're entitled to remain in the same seat year after year after year. Perhaps the club should re introduce rover tickets to get them used to the idea that the seat isnt theirs.

If you want to know why its a problem for us just look at some of the replies on here. Those protesting against safe standing think they're entitled to remain in the same seat year after year after year. Perhaps the club should re introduce rover tickets to get them used to the idea that the seat isnt theirs.

"Protesting against safe standing"

Utter pish.

FWIW, The club are looking at it, but if the hard of thinking need it spelt out over the last 20 years Ibrox has been allowed to rot, so Millions are being spent on essentials before such things as this.

Will safe standing happen? IMO Yes
Should it? Absolutely
Should UB get priority over the area? Debatable
Should consultation be involved? Yes
Will it make Rangers vs Hamilton an atmospheric game? Not a hope in hell

And Ironically, if you want to see why we have issues we have within the support, look at some of your own replies.

Here we go......

Tell me this - if Safe standing is the catalyst for Atmosphere then how come Vienna and Celtic x2 had Ibrox rocking this season?

Safe standing is not going to make Rangers vs Hamilton, or Dundee or St Johnstone more atmospheric, it is simply nonsense to suggest it is, it is football, big games = atmosphere, big tough games = fans roaring the team on.
Run of the mill games = people rightly or wrongly, waiting for the players to get them out the seat.

If I was asked, consulted about whether I wanted safe standing and was willing to move my season ticket I would do it in a heartbeat (I doubt BAR72 would be chosen though), because I believe safe standing makes the game more enjoyable, I prefer standing, nothing to do with atmosphere, just enjoy the game more.

But if I am getting an attitude like yours and told to move, I am digging my heels in, I am telling you to away and take a %^*& to yourself and I am telling the club I am not moving.

Turning it into a "We are being held back" "You don't want whats best for the club" "your not as much a supporter as me" just creates a division and is when the club decide you know what, enough is enough.

A serious grown-up discussion, with proper consultation, should take place, wailing of arms and stomping of feet and you should be told to sit in the corner and stick a hat on.

You, or people like you telling me I don't want whats best for Rangers when I financially contribute thousands a year to them all because I don't get up and give it laldy vs Hamilton is the type of attitude that makes fans think of certain people as "Wee arseholes who need to grow up".

1 Safe standing will improve the atmosphere. That's hardly worth debating.

2 If you read my post again you'll see I've used inverted commas. That's because I'm directly quoting others. They're not my own words.

3 I see you've used inverted commas but I'm not sure who you are quoting. It's certainly not me as I haven't used these words

4 As for your abusive comments at the end. I don't see me doing much more growing up. I'm 63.

It doesn't matter how many times , so long as there is a chance then it cannot be placed there .

Nonsense . The seats can be bolted down as normal seating as and when required . Making the broomloan front safe standing has no impact whatsoever in terms of the away allocation/corner - it would be the exact same scenario as it is now . On the very odd occasion a team demands and gets some extra tickets outwith the away corner , we simply do what we do now. Putting rail seating / safe standing in changes nothing re away fans .

Back