The fabled Manchester United number 7 shirt

While I agree about overall impact and career, Cantona came into United when they didn't have a superstar, they didn't and hadn't for decades had a genius on the ball.

I think that is what makes the Utd fans minds up about him, the timing of his arrival, what they went on to achieve following his arrival and departure, I think they link it to him.

On his day Cantona was a genius, the problem was he was a mental case and wasn't as consistent as later year players, in his day 1 in 3 was a good rate for a big performance.

This. They hadn't won the league in 25 years before his arrival.

I'd say it is certainly true that Beckham probably achieved more in his career than Cantona, sometimes there can be more to it than that. Kirk Broadfoot achieved more for us than Gascoigne did for example...

Who's even mentioned Ian Wright??? You're doing Shearer a disservice too as he could have played for any team Beckham was in easily.

You are entitled to your opinion, but to say he's better than Gerrard and Lampard especially is outrageous! These players dragged teams with them and were more influential in a more demanding role than Beckham could ever be, and Beckham played in an iconic Man United team......that's why he has all of these honours, it's not down to his influence on the team, as I said earlier he's never been first name on a team sheet in his life.

He played four seasons at Madrid and made about 120 appearances in that time, hardly what you would call a stalwart of the team if you think of the games they would play in a season?

I'm not saying he wasn't a great player, but when it comes to the fine margins of the greats at the top end of football past and present, I wouldn't have Beckham anywhere near it!

This isn't about who was better. It was in response to your assertion that Beckham wasn't iconic on the pitch.

I'd have him ahead of the likes of Shearer, Ian Wright or the likes.

Lampard and Gerrard too, and that's not to play down their ability. He achieved more than them overall, which really is the difference in this regard. It's why Totti won't be considered in quite the same bracket as Pirlo for example.

Your comment was that he wasn't an iconic footballer, but a celebrity. This is a player who won 6 Premier League titles, La Liga, Ligue 1, a Champions League, was runner up for the Ballon D'Or, Real Madrid player of the year in 2006, UEFA Club footballer of the year in 99, England player of the year in 2003.

That's an iconic footballer. Maybe he didn't have the ability levels of some you mention, but it's about far more than that.

At one point Shearer was the best striker in the world.

If he had of signed for Man Utd instead of Newcastle we would be talking about someone who has broken all records and probably a Ballon Dor winner.

This isn't about who was better. It was in response to your assertion that Beckham wasn't iconic on the pitch.

That's correct and I don't believe he is, I believe he played in iconic teams but in no way is he an iconic player IMO for reasons I have stated in previous posts!

You have since said you think he was better than Lampard, Gerrard and Alan Shearer so I think it's best we leave it at that. WOW!! :O

Agree with Danger Zone.

Beckham was a very good player, but that was it.

He was never anywhere near the best players in the world. He worked hard, was a great crosser of the ball, and a great free kick taker.

He barely ever beat a man. Funnily enough, I think he probably beat more players in a goal against Real Madrid than he did in his entire career.

There may also be a case for saying Real Madrid actually took him for his brand and marketing, as he wasn't exactly a Real Madrid type of player.

He had a great career, but his superstar brand was more to do with his appearance than his ability as a player.
I always think of him as a fantastic example of getting way more out of your talent than you are maybe due. But, fair play to the guy, he's worked hard at everything and deserves what he gets as he's earned it.
Ferguson's stories about him on the training ground, working etc, makes me appreciate him as a professional. I think Shearer and Wright talked about his dedication too. He was the consummate professional.
But as a football fan of 30 odd years, he's nowhere near being one of the greats that I would list.

Last edited:
People are forgetting how good Beckham was because of his celebrity image but didn't he finish runner up or 3rd in the Ballon d'Or one year? His crossing is second to none, his work rate was tremendous and obviously he could ping a free kick.

That's correct and I don't believe he is, I believe he played in iconic teams but in no way is he an iconic player IMO for reasons I have stated in previous posts!

You have since said you think he was better than Lampard, Gerrard and Alan Shearer so I think it's best we leave it at that. WOW!! :O

I said he was more iconic.

What

If he had of signed for Man Utd instead of Newcastle we would be talking about someone who has broken all records and probably a Ballon Dor winner.
what year was he the best striker in the world?

We don't really, but this is a cool article on the history of our shirt numbering:

https://www.squadnumbers.com/2018/10/07/rangers/

Great wee article, thanks for posting. Maybe deserves a thread of its own bud.

Only thing I think I’d dispute is that Stuart McCall wasn’t deemed surplus to requirements by Advocaat. According to SM he was offered a one year deal but thought it best to move on.

I like the Rangers left back to wear 5 and the Centre Half beside him to wear 3 :)

And above all a very fit athlete. Guy was a machine, had a great engine and recovered from injuries quite quickly (if you can recall how quickly he healed from the broken metatarsal before a big tournament for England)

I think how much of an icon he was off the park actually detracts from how good he was on it.

All this. And Utd hardly conceded a goal from a cross from his side as him and Neville worked like dogs down that line.

Ask the various strikers like Sheringham and Cole how good he was. They phuckin loved him. It was not all dead ball stuff. He could do it on the run as well.

People are forgetting how good Beckham was because of his celebrity image but didn't he finish runner up or 3rd in the Ballon d'Or one year? His crossing is second to none, his work rate was tremendous and obviously he could ping a free kick.

To be fair Michael Owen actually won the Ballon D’or around the same time.

Agree with Danger Zone.

Beckham was a very good player, but that was it.

He was never anywhere near the best players in the world. He worked hard, was a great crosser of the ball, and a great free kick taker.

He barely ever beat a man. Funnily enough, I think he probably beat more players in a goal against Real Madrid than he did in his entire career.

There may also be a case for saying Real Madrid actually took him for his brand and marketing, as he wasn't exactly a Real Madrid type of player.

He had a great career, but his superstar brand was more to do with his appearance than his ability as a player.
I always think of him as a fantastic example of getting way more out of your talent than you are maybe due. But, fair play to the guy, he's worked hard at everything and deserves what he gets as he's earned it.
Ferguson's stories about him on the training ground, working etc, makes me appreciate him as a professional. I think Shearer and Wright talked about his dedication too. He was the consummate professional.
But as a football fan of 30 odd years, he's nowhere near being one of the greats that I would list.
You don't need to be able to beat a man when you can shift it half a yard and stick it right on the forehead of a team mate! His range of passing was incredible, he scored great goals on a regular basis and his work ethic was superb. He's also won trophies at the highest level. Beckham was a world class footballer.

Beckham was superb for Man Utd. Watch any of his goals/assists videos on youtube if you need to see the evidence. The guy was top-class.

I don't think he was anywhere near Zidane in terms of natural ability and class.

But what I will say is that in working at his game, Beckham is up there with the best of them. And the perfect example for any of our youngsters coming through.

Just a pity his wife couldn't sing, mind.

I don't think he was anywhere near Zidane in terms of natural ability and class.

But what I will say is that in working at his game, Beckham is up there with the best of them. And the perfect example for any of our youngsters coming through.

Just a pity his wife couldn't sing, mind.
Zidane was a once in a lifetime footballer. One of the greatest ever imo.

No it's not, but don't apologise I've explained the reasoning behind my thoughts and you're welcome to yours so you'll excuse me if I don't start repeating myself going over old ground.

Tbh mate you've not really explained your reasoning though.. You've stated you didn't think he was influential on the pitch.. Which I think many a football fan would disagree with. And then said that because he 'only' played 120 odd games for Real Madrid he wasn't much use to them either..

Which is.. well.. absolute pish.

Tbh mate you've not really explained your reasoning though.. You've stated you didn't think he was influential on the pitch.. Which I think many a football fan would disagree with. And then said that because he 'only' played 120 odd games for Real Madrid he wasn't much use to them either..

Which is.. well.. absolute pish.

Woot woot fan boy alert, fan boy alert!!!

Last edited:
A guy who played and won things for Man Utd and Real Madrid isn't iconic?

He also played for AC Milan and PSG.

Beckham was a great player who done far more in the game than many other English players who would definitely be considered iconic.
It’s embarrasing the amount of abuse and snide remarks he attracts. It reeks of jealousy.

If only I had a similar witty response with which to joust.. oh well, back to my Beckham splattered man cave I go.

I don’t engage with folk who’s opening gambit is you’re talking absolute pish or whatever it was, and you’re obviously not capable of reading my posts because I’ve never once said he wasn’t influential and I agreed he was a great player.

You have a good evening now, don’t use too much kitchen roll! :D

He rarely beat a man is the absolute dregs of a critique of a player.

It astounds me how many people use it to beat up Beckham with.

He didn't need to beat a man with his ability to cross a ball.

Would folk rather have had Denilson beat a man 5 or 6 times and then shank a cross into the stand ?

Definition of iconic in that era: were you in this advert?

If the answers no... there's your anwer as far as im concerned!

Back in the late 70s, Steve Coppell was their number 7 and he was a very good and underrated player.

My comment was regarding him as the No.7 for Man Utd and I wouldn't put him in the same bracket as Ronaldo or Cantona. I didn't say he wasn't a decent player.

I also wouldn't put him anywhere near Paul Scholes, Frank Lampard or Steven Gerrard and they didn't win anything for Real Madrid?

I'm interested to know the players he was better than that you would class as Iconic??

Beckham achieved more than Cantona.

He was also the equal of any of the English players mentioned. Including our gaffer.

Shearer, as good as he was, wad NEVER the best striker in the world. He played at the same time as the likes of Batistuta and Ronaldo to name but 2 who were both better than him.

A guy who played and won things for Man Utd and Real Madrid isn't iconic?

He also played for AC Milan and PSG.

Beckham was a great player who done far more in the game than many other English players who would definitely be considered iconic.
Like Paul Gascoigne for example. Gazza pissed all over him in terms of natural ability but Beckham's work ethic and dedication to his craft took him levels above anything PG ever achieved.

I used him as an example of the talent still out there.

Ronaldinho as another.

He was never in their league.

But as a guy that worked at his game, he was top notch.

There's no shame in that at all. Zidane and Ronaldinho are probably in the top 10/15 players of all time.

Definition of iconic in that era: were you in this advert?

If the answers no... there's your anwer as far as im concerned!

That rules Zidane out as well then :p

Beckham was a sensational player.

Cantona receives ridiculous levels of recognition for some who only really turned up for about 3 years of a pretty short career.

Cantona built a brand that the player never quite lived up to - a cracking look with the collar, decent Nike adverts, that Sunderland goal and celebration, kicking some lady's front bottom and dragging a team to a title while another imploded - could think of about 30 players during the EPL era I would have before him and Beckham is one of them.

Cantona was the inspiration for Beckham, Neville’s, Scholes, Butt & Gillespie around Old Trafford at the time, and who knows how many young players at clubs or in parks across the country.

His time at the top was relatively short but his impact was massive.

He encouraged dedication, extra training and a bit of arrogance.

The idea that Beckham wasn’t an iconic player is laughable to be honest and almost certainly a view fuelled by jealousy.

Beckham's touch, vision, distribution, movement, intelligence and delivery beat many a man - time and time again.

Clever player, fantastic touch, good movement, took up dangerous positions on the park - always found that bit of space and his range of passing was phenomenal, better than our managers which is saying sine thing. The amount of times he controlled the pace of play as well was impressive. Not bad for a player who couldn't beat a man.

England captain, Manchester Unired, AC Milan, PSG and Real Madrid says it all.

All round good guy as well.

Back