Latest bid for Edmundson turned down

Hopefully the player tells them he will sign a pre contract with us in January if they don’t sell.

They would probably get a decent amount in compensation from English clubs but not us

I don't know why folk on here bother giving their view or suggestion on what amount we should bid & some sort of tactic e.g £750k or we walk away.

Negotiations will have various factors alongside just price such as structure of up front vs supplementary future payments. From the outside with little knowledge of how football negotiations work, it is utterly pointless suggesting an idea.

Thats before you even consider that the story in the media is probably not completely accurate

Consideration has to be taken in that other clubs with players we admire are watching this and will set out their stall accordingly. “ “When you see 2 shiny eyes staring out of jungle at night, maybe not a tiger, maybe 2 one eyed tigers”
Totally out of context I know but I just wanted to use this somewhere.

We're needing a couple of centre halves in, know nothing about this lad but unless he's a hidden gem I can't see him being a first team starter and I'd rather spend money on bringing in quality starting players and build the squad up with free signings.

Consideration has to be taken in that other clubs with players we admire are watching this and will set out their stall accordingly. “ “When you see 2 shiny eyes staring out of jungle at night, maybe not a tiger, maybe 2 one eyed tigers”
Totally out of context I know but I just wanted to use this somewhere.
Do Tigers even live in Jungles? :D

The issue is fhat man Ashley has a stake or influence at Oldham and I’ve no doubt this is causing the price being forced up

Oldham were thought to want £450k and allowed the player to visit HTC for a tour

I’d say take it or leave it bid and sign the lad in Jan

It’s bizarre how people’s opinion varies on this board. Souter has never impressed me in the slightest, I can’t remember him having a decent game yet against us? I’d be gutted if we spent 2-3m on him.
Prefer the boy Hickey. Looks a real player

TBF Katic would probably win the vote on here, when Goldson is the better CB.
Goldson is more experienced and is more comfortable with katic next to him but I'm honestly struggling to see who is best... Katic will progress and surpass what Goldsons achieved in his career I'm sure of that.
If this guy from Oldham is solid and dependable is it worth the money?
All I have to say is Kilmarnock game.... And so if he is in there not making the same mistake then that money is well spent imo

The issue is fhat man Ashley has a stake or influence at Oldham and I’ve no doubt this is causing the price being forced up

Oldham were thought to want £450k and allowed the player to visit HTC for a tour

I’d say take it or leave it bid and sign the lad in Jan
How does that work with the regs of investment in football these days

Goldson is more experienced and is more comfortable with katic next to him but I'm honestly struggling to see who is best... Katic will progress and surpass what Goldsons achieved in his career I'm sure of that.
If this guy from Oldham is solid and dependable is it worth the money?
All I have to say is Kilmarnock game.... And so if he is in there not making the same mistake then that money is well spent imo
Goldsons a quity cb Worral let him down alot this season he just didn't look comfy playing with him. But him and katic seem to have a great understanding of each others game and are solid at the back. So I think it's good we're taking a risk on a highly rated youth we can develop if he ends up good for us in a couple years we could be looking at selling him for 10m plus and he'd only cost us just under 1m. He must have something good about him as the gaffer seems determined to get him signed

£600k should be our last offer. If they say no, we should drop it and get him in January and move onto another target.

No point dragging this out, in all for clubs holding out to get the most they can but when they said £450k then increased it to £1m to cause a bidding war they can get to %^*&. It's not the same as us doing it with Morelos, we valued him at £20m and pretty sure if an offer comes in at that Gerrard will be handing Morelos the pen to sign his new contract for that club

Goldsons a quity cb Worral let him down alot this season he just didn't look comfy playing with him. But him and katic seem to have a great understanding of each others game and are solid at the back. So I think it's good we're taking a risk on a highly rated youth we can develop if he ends up good for us in a couple years we could be looking at selling him for 10m plus and he'd only cost us just under 1m. He must have something good about him as the gaffer seems determined to get him signed

Worrall and Edmondson are the same age and same nationality. One is valued at about 5-10% of the other. That ‘other’, you don’t consider good enough.

Logically, how is Edmondson going to be up to standard if Worrall wasn’t? I know that is incredibly simple, but I’m struggling to comprehend a hidden gem at Flyde whilst a guy his own age and nationality, in a similar area is playing first team for Nottingham Forest and we don’t want him.

Worrall and Edmondson are the same age and same nationality. One is valued at about 5-10% of the other. That ‘other’, you don’t consider good enough.

Logically, how is Edmondson going to be up to standard if Worrall wasn’t? I know that is incredibly simple, but I’m struggling to comprehend a hidden gem at Flyde whilst a guy his own age and nationality, in a similar area is playing first team for Nottingham Forest and we don’t want him.

Your bang on mate, what your saying is too simplistic.

Not having a dig but it’s not a sound use of logic.

We won't know till he plays but he won't be flung into action like Worral was due to the clause on his loan deal. The lad can come up and improve his game and play when the time is right and not have the pressure of a big fee or being relied on to play every game.
He could be better than Worral he might not be but we won't know till he kicks a ball for us

We won't know till he plays but he won't be flung into action like Worral was due to the clause on his loan deal. The lad can come up and improve his game and play when the time is right and not have the pressure of a big fee or being relied on to play every game.
He could be better than Worral he might not be but we won't know till he kicks a ball for us

The only clause in his loan deal was that if he didn't play 19 games before the Winter break then Forest, if they chose to do so, could elect to terminate the loan and recall him. That was it, nothing more. There was absolutely no obligation on Gerrard to play him. Put simply, at that time, Gerrard considered Worrall the better option and bombed out Katic. His choice, he's the Manager.

Has anyone actually seen the lad play?

Any comments on his actual ability/potential?

Nope.

EFL analyst on Twitter said he can see why we’re interested, good potential & has excelled this season playing next to a very experienced partner, but a massive step up for him.

Thats all I’ve seen.

Cheers brother.

Im thinking probably 99% of people commenting on this thread(including me) have never seen the lad play ever.

Why some get their panties twisted and insist we either walk away or we increase our bid i just dont get.

Our club have obviously watched/scouted him over a period and will have a figure we are prepared to go to and a negotiating tactic of how to try to get the signing over the line by paying the least amount.

Its not rocket science - let the club do their job, simples, if we get him great, if we dont ok we move onto next target:)

Sounds like discussion of a deal being agreed between Peterborough and Oldham were inaccurate. Not sure I see this happening now. Certainly dragging on, and appears we won't be matching the fee Oldham want and believe they can get from another English team.

Sounds like discussion of a deal being agreed between Peterborough and Oldham were inaccurate. Not sure I see this happening now. Certainly dragging on, and appears we won't be matching the fee Oldham want and believe they can get from another English team.
The Peterborough chairman rubbished the story

The only clause in his loan deal was that if he didn't play 19 games before the Winter break then Forest, if they chose to do so, could elect to terminate the loan and recall him. That was it, nothing more. There was absolutely no obligation on Gerrard to play him. Put simply, at that time, Gerrard considered Worrall the better option and bombed out Katic. His choice, he's the Manager.
Thats quite a strong clause though if Gerrard wanted Worrall availabke for the 2nd half of the season.

Inconclusive tbh. They are mostly just mocking the standard of our league which seems pretty rich from fans of a club that spent the season getting pumped by Bury :rolleyes:

They don't seem to rate him. I would have better things to say about Joe Worrall and Danny Wilson than some of them say about him. I find it funny that in reality Motherwell would have probably won league 2 last year.

I wouldn't like to get into the 'tinpot' league comparisons -

If the truth be told I don't rate the SPL all that highly when it comes to skill or ability

But you only need to.look at those that have struggled here to realise there's more to it than meets the eye

The 'style' we play in Scotland, for what it's worth, often gives players who you would expect to excel, major problems.

'Attitude' can play as big a part as any other attribute & I'm sure SG has learned that lesson from Ejariah alone.

I saw 5 Championship teams playing live (I was at the games) 2 seasons ago. Only Villa were decent. League two is a considerable drop from that.

I have not seen him play or even heard of him before.

However, there is something about his name that just sounds right.

George Edmundson - The Rangers Centre Half!

I assume he’s a Protestant?

Rick_ Sanchez: Typical arrogant English mate , haven't a clue about our club or the league we play in .

League 2 is way below our league and I say that as someone who watches Lincoln City a fair bit.
I'm a lincoln boy and hoping we loan a player to City to give me a reason to go see them more. Gonna definitely try and get to see Donny Rovers when they come to Sincil Bank to see Middleton play!
My mates who closer follow Lincoln than I do, all have the same opinion of Scottish football but when they saw Rossiter stroll it for Bury they took a better view of the Gers at least.

I'm a lincoln boy and hoping we loan a player to City to give me a reason to go see them more. Gonna definitely try and get to see Donny Rovers when they come to Sincil Bank to see Middleton play!
My mates who closer follow Lincoln than I do, all have the same opinion of Scottish football but when they saw Rossiter stroll it for Bury they took a better view of the Gers at least.
To be fair, those who are clued up know the script but still go on the wind up when they can .

Truth is ,league 2 is a fair way down from the SPFL ,as much as we like to run it down ourselves at times.

Personal view is, our current squad would do well in the Championship , obviously can't prove that assertion but I'm fairly confident I wouldn't be far off.

Last edited:
To be fair those who are clued up know the script but still go on the wind up when they can .

Truth is ,league 2 is a fair way down from the SPFL ,as much as we like to run it down ourselves at times.

Personal view is our current squad would do well in the Championship , obviously can't prove that assertion but I'm fairly confident I wouldn't be far off.

The truth is the SPFL is about the same level as perhaps the bottom 6 of the championship and the top 6 of league 1 . It’s better than league 2 . Obvious exceptions is us and yahoo , we would be top 6 of championship IMO.

Back