Billy Gilmour on Football Daft

My mate 40 year ago was playing with Brechin and was told Celtic were interested in him.
He told them not to waste there time as he would never sign for them.
He ended up in sales and to this day doesn’t regret not moving.
A real Rangers man.
Very good not got much to do with the thread right enough

Exactly. The hard of thinking are out in force today.
Anybody who thinks the lad made a poor decision doesn’t have a clue about football

I've already posted - his decision is entirely down to him

Still does nothing to solve the question - WTF is the point in having a youth development system ?

As per another post above -(Derek76) -
Ajax are able to hang on to their prodegies till their 20's bringing them much needed fees then

Looks like we're only good for developing players who if they look to be above average - will be off at the age of 16 or so

If that trend continues - we'll only be able to keep those that don't look the part early on & will have to concentrare on late developers only

None of that is BG's fault of course - but his departure must surely make us wonder what the future will hold for us - if anyone showing promise is off to those with deeper pockets long before we can demand a fee of any significance or benefit from his talent in our own 1st eleven

Oh & by the way seems to me you need to know more about finance & book-keeping than you know about football

Last edited:
I've already posted - his decision is entirely down to him

Still does nothing to solve the question - WTF is the point in having a youth development system ?

As per another post above -(Derek76) -
Ajax are able to hang on to their prodegies till their 20's bringing them much needed fees then

Looks like we're only good for developing players who if they look to be above average - will be off at the age of 16 or so

If that trend continues - we'll only be able to keep those that don't look the part early on & will have to concentrare on late developers only

None of that is BG's fault of course - but his departure must surely make us wonder what the future will hold for us - if anyone showing promise is off to those with deeper pockets long before we can demand a fee of any significance or benefit from his talent in our own 1st eleven
Oh & by the way seems to me you need to know more about finance & book-keeping than you know about football

You can’t see the difference between us and Ajax at this moment in time?

Nonsense. He's a boy and he's doing what him and his family think is best for his career. Anyone saying that he's made the wrong choices are fucking ridiculous.
So he hasnt went for money.. he will never break into the Chelsea 1st team.. as good a player as he is
He will be passed about like a scud book to either some Belgium team or lower English club... .. whenhe retires let's be honest if he doesnt crack it down there.. he will b rich but his medal cabinet will be empty .. only youth medals

So he hasnt went for money.. he will never break into the Chelsea 1st team.. as good a player as he is
He will be passed about like a scud book to either some Belgium team or lower English club... .. whenhe retires let's be honest if he doesnt crack it down there.. he will b rich but his medal cabinet will be empty .. only youth medals
he's a supreme talent playing above his age group at chelsea.

I'd wager that you're way off the mark and he will be a premiership player within 4-5 years

Of course there's a difference -
But does that difference mean we have to loose our young talent early ?
Because if it does - then there isn't a lot of point in continuing with our youth development is there ?

Have you listened to the podcast? Genuine question. The same goes for most others commenting. Give it a listen, you’ll hear the lad and his father explain exactly why he chose to move to Chelsea.

Of course there's a difference -
But does that difference mean we have to loose our young talent early ?
Because if it does - then there isn't a lot of point in continuing with our youth development is there ?

Because a extraordinarily talented player has been picked out as genuine potential top class player, we should stop our youth development altogether?? That’s a bit of a daft statement to make. Players like Gilmour don’t come along very often.

18 years old and he's training with the 23s and occasionally the first team. Stop wishing for the boy to fail to spite him.

Because a extraordinarily talented player has been picked out as genuine potential top class player, we should stop our youth development - although ?? That’s a bit of a daft statement to make. Players like Gilmour don’t come along very often.
Yeah it is an OTT statement - but I'm sure you can see it's also got logic
& BG probably is exceptional - although I hope there are a few more to come - but if there are & we're to suffer the same scenario every time I'll be well gutted

IMO we need to attempt something that allows us to hang onto our 'investments' longer or we're just flogging a dead horse with our youth set-up

No he doesn’t mate

His Dads Celtic

His Mums side (my side) all Rangers

He is Rangers, reguarly at our games including 4/5 last season etc - he was at rangers since he was 7 iirc

An he’s certainly not a bitter 1
Or his kid obviously wouldn’t have been where he was for the length of time he was there

Old billy knows his fitba
An they new the set up was far better for billy
At rangers
Regardless of logistics
Young billy preference was rangers aswel

The kid as been said
Attends Ibrox when he can
With family ,mum ,auntie an granda

There have been plenty apparently true rangers men
That have moved on to better there careers

Thought the pod gave people an in site
To the decision process of his move

The boys game across well

At Chelsea:
Could earn circa £5-£7k p/w and rising.
Nice big £150k signing on fee.
Play with the best youth players in the UK.
Play against the best youth players in the UK.
Have access to the best facilities in the UK.
Have access to the best coaches in the UK.
Have time to develop within the Chelsea Academy.
Chances to go on loan to smaller clubs pressure free and develop.

At Rangers:
Could earn circa £1.5k - 2.5k p/w and rising.
Nice big £30-£40k re-signing fee.
Possible first team football.
Have idiots turning on you when you mess up.
Get booted up and down the pitch for being talented.
No Manager in place.
Club sleepwalking from 1 feek up to another.

There's a chance he could re-sign for us and break his leg next week and never have the opportunity to play football again. The Chelsea offer was far to attractive to turn down and anyone saying otherwise need to consider what they would do at that age or what they would advise their kid to do.

Yeah it is an OTT statement - but I'm sure you can see it's also got logic
& BG probably is exceptional - although I hope there are a few more to come - but if there are & we're to suffer the same scenario every time I'll be well gutted

IMO we need to attempt something that allows us to hang onto our 'investments' longer or we're just flogging a dead horse with our youth set-up

I get the point you are trying to make with regards to trying to keep players, but there’s not much you can do with boys that age. Think back to the days of Jim McLean and Dundee Utd getting young boys to sign 6 and 7 year contracts. Those days are gone, and so they should be.

He will have set his family up for life his kids and grand kids when he has them football a side is that not what we all dream of in life. He could of stayed got into the First team played against a hammer throwing team like Motherwell and got a bad injury career over. You can't blame him. And it's looking like a good decision he's been in and around training with the first team. He might even get a chance next season due to Chelsea's transfer ban. Good luck to him the amount of people on here being bitter about a 16 year old lad is embarrassing

He didn’t chose rangers due to logistics

Do you know that boy went to school in Kilmarnock and rangers sent a bus down for him to take him to Glasgow each day after school and return him home at 2230 each night? And he done that for years. The boy and his family were committed 100% to rangers

The chance to move to Chelsea and let’s be honest here, train with far superior players and coaches made the decision an easy one.
Look at the state of the club and first team when billy turned 16. It was a mess and we were being led by Murty!

His Dad literally says it was due to logistics.

Good luck to the boy.

Obviously very talented and no doubt this was the best move career wise whether he makes it with Chelsea or not.

Utterly ridiculous the abuse he gets on here.

He's the perfect example of new bears growing up, don't remember a successful team pumping them and winning leagues. First tease of a "big" team and gone.

If you're a supporter and you're good enough for Chelsea you can live the dream winning it all at Rangers for a few years then move on, spare me the life changing stuff bet it's no different from what he had or was just about to get.

Every time a Billy Gilmour thread appears it reinforces my regret that such a talented young player left us so early - even so, cannot harbour any hard feelings and can only hope he comes back to us at some point in his career.

As much as it disappoints me Billy Gilmour made the correct decision financially for him and his family. I would have loved to see him stay but don’t hold a grudge about him leaving.

Whether he made the correct decision football wise will be seen in the future. Up to now it’s looking good for him and he seems to be flourishing with Chelsea.

I wonder if there would be a chance of him coming back on a loan deal in the next season or two. Probably would depend on who Chelsea get as manager.

Some number of dumplings on this thread.

I get the feeling most haven't even listened to the podcast. Billy Sr. was quite clear why he moved. It was opportunity, level of training and as sad as it is in Scotland, getting away from the Scottish bevvy culture.

Having seen the kid play in a few games since he left, it looks like he made the correct decision. One step away from the Chelsea squad and he just turned 18. Also refreshing to hear him say he'd never consider playing for anyone but Scotland.

On a related note, this podcast has already destroyed every other *mainstream media Scottish football podcast* in four episodes. Funny and balanced.

**This does not include Heart and Hand, I'm talking about mainstream media football podcasts.

Because a extraordinarily talented player has been picked out as genuine potential top class player, we should stop our youth development altogether?? That’s a bit of a daft statement to make. Players like Gilmour don’t come along very often.

The point is when they do come along they leave.

PS I havent seen the podcast and Im not having a go at Gilmour.

Last edited:
The young man appears to be doing well down there and is more than holding his own playing against a better class of player. Good luck to him.

He chose to leave to work alongside better players and for more money. That's absolutely his right. It's only what we do to smaller teams in Scotland.
I couldn't care less about him now, will change if he ever comes back.

At 16, you have to be guided by your Mum and Dad and they thought that for his professional career,Chelsea would be better in the long run than Rangers. He has a chance down South to grow up without running the risks of a broken leg when up against Brown or a Motherwell hammer thrower.I think that colectively, they made a good decision and if my son had been in Gilmour's position, I would have advised him to do the same.

Anyway," you can take the boy out of Ibrox but you can never take Ibrox out of the boy"

His dad is one of them. He only chose Rangers due to logistics. That being said listen to the pod. Good luck the the boy he has a lot of people who see a very big future for him.
His Mum’s family are all bluenoses. It’s all irrelevant to a 16yo boy who intends to play at the highest level he can. We got £500k for Billy and nobody at the `academy has a bad word to say about him

Theres a family member of young Billys on here giving the story and theres still people spouting their opinions of him based on bitterness that he left.

The point is when they do come along they leave.

PS I havent seen the podcast and Im not having a go at Gilmour.

It’s happened with one player. Balance that up with the amount of players we have snapped up over the years as youngsters. When it happens it’s hard to take, but that’s just football, we just need to suck it up like most other clubs have to do on a grander scale than us.

I’ll say the same thing I say in every thread about him: wish him the very best, don’t blame him in the least for leaving, an awesome talent.

It’s happened with one player. Balance that up with the amount of players we have snapped up over the years as youngsters. When it happens it’s hard to take, but that’s just football, we just need to suck it up like most other clubs have to do on a grander scale than us.

And we took Young-Coombes from Chelsea, who has been very complimentary when comparing HTC to Chelsea.
BG made his decision, and good luck to him. The way football is going, there’ll be plenty of young players happy to stay with us for a shorter route to the first team, rather than do an ‘Islam Feruz’.

I’ve only seen him play a couple of times, but i’ve been more than impressed.

Genuinely hope he can hit the very top, he without doubt has the potential to hit it.

If he is 18 playing in the under 23s he is doing something right!

I think people are failing to remember the nick we were in when he left. Would be night and day from how development is now. Was mickey mouse stuff at times regarding the first team so it doesn't bare thinking about what those lads coming through were having to deal with.

Do you think the whole youth system is worth the cost? Im not sure. We dont seem to get much out of it.

If a skinny kid from Scotland were to make it big in the EPL I would be delighted.

Let's face it, we've produced nothing since Ferguson, and nothing world class since Durrant.

Good luck to young Billy.

I thought the interview was fantastic. Quite clearly grounded and in good hands if his parents who have his absolute best interests at hand whilst taking calculated risks on suggestions for his future plans.

An incredible talent who I hope has nothing but the very best career moving forward.

A future captain wherever he settles at as a mature player.

Each to their own as everyone is different! However for me personally my dream would of been to play for Rangers and no amount of money or offers from another clubs would’ve changed that - therefore I’d have stayed.

And we took Young-Coombes from Chelsea, who has been very complimentary when comparing HTC to Chelsea.
BG made his decision, and good luck to him. The way football is going, there’ll be plenty of young players happy to stay with us for a shorter route to the first team, rather than do an ‘Islam Feruz’.
Islam was a big Tim....:D:D:D

Back