Ruling On Latest Fat Mike Court Case – Still Waiting...

Changes everything.

We’re now in a contract with SD that started in 2018 (so we owe them revenue from that year).

The judge ruled that we misinterpreted the contract that we signed, and SD were right in their interpretation. They matched the contract, so it is theirs. SD basically now have the right to match any merchandise contract, ever.

There will be seperate claims for breach of contract (will cost us millions) and Ashley is currently trying to place an injunction on Elite.

We’ve someone ended up in a worse position that before, as we didn’t understand the contract we signed.

The board have made a right mess of it.

What was the point in paying all that money to break the 7 years rolling contract.

Brutal stuff.

If the chat on here is correct and its 95% of profits made then theres going to be absolute mayhem as the fans have had enough of Ashley.
He better have a bunker to hide in and a lot of fire extinguishers handy in his stores.
Exactly mate. I’m surprised the geordies haven’t already popped him. But we’re a bigger animal than them.

No we're not.

The rest of your post is nothing more than hysteria.
What? Yes we are.

They matched the contract last year, we didn’t give them it. The judge has ruled as part of the deal we agreed in 2017 they should have been given the contract.

Nothing in my post is false. Read the ruling.

Changes everything.

We’re now in a contract with SD that started in 2018 (so we owe them revenue from that year).

The judge ruled that we misinterpreted the contract that we signed, and SD were right in their interpretation. They matched the contract, so it is theirs. SD basically now have the right to match any merchandise contract, ever.

There will be seperate claims for breach of contract (will cost us millions) and Ashley is currently trying to place an injunction on Elite.

We’ve someone ended up in a worse position that before, as we didn’t understand the contract we signed.

Mate I’ve not got a clue about how any off this works are you saying that a percentage of the strip I just bought goes to Ashley and that bastards junk shop advertising is going back up at Ibrox?

Mate I’ve not got a clue about how any off this works are you saying that a percentage of the strip I just bought goes to Ashley and that bastards junk shop advertising is going back up at Ibrox?
I don’t know the ins and outs of that regarding %, just going off what happened today.

I’ll look in to it now.

I don’t know the ins and outs of that regarding %, just going off what happened today.

I’ll look in to it now.

It’s going back tommorow if that lady's front bottom gets one penny.

What? Yes we are.

They matched the contract last year, we didn’t give them it. The judge has ruled as part of the deal we agreed in 2017 they should have been given the contract.

Nothing in my post is false. Read the ruling.

I’m confused. I though this whole case was because we didn’t allow them to match?

I’m confused. I though this whole case was because we didn’t allow them to match?
It is. They matched the contract, but we didn’t accept. The deal we signed in 2017 meant that we had to accept.

But seemingly we didn’t understand this, or so we’re trying to say. We’ve been ruled against.

there are 2 cases (at least.) The other one is about damages for the failure to allow SDI to match the second (improved) Elite offer. This one follows on from SDI matching the first Elite offer.

It is. They matched the contract, but we didn’t accept. The deal we signed in 2017 meant that we had to accept.

The previous deal had a perpetual matching clause as well.

The £3m wasn’t for nothing, it removed elements which put us further along the road.

In simple terms, my understanding is that other than the legal fees and damages (capped) we will still have the same deal - if Elite or JD offer us ABC next year for XYZ, SD will then have to pay us exactly the same - ABC for XYZ. It becomes problematic because you really cannot have a like for like service or standard. The other problem is SD are hellish to deal with and the relationship is beyond toxic. We need to be clever and have a friendly company like Elite come in and make a ridiculously good offer and force SD to match it. If they’re happy to pay it, we have Elite make an even better offer the year after and again SD will need to pay that same price.

I’m struggling to interpret how a matching clause can continue after the deal with SD has lapsed - if it lapses one then surely that part of the deal is void?

Last edited:

This whole case, like the others before, is because scumbags deliberately signed away deals that they knew would cause severe damage to our income and revenue streams. Its utterly outrageous that no Judge could see what is in front of his face. Its utterly scandalous they've got away with it.

The previous deal had a perpetual matching clause as well.

The £3m wasn’t for nothing, it removed elements which put us further a long the road.
What is better about our position now though?

The legal fees, the damages (still to come but its a formality), the £3m. Must be talking upwards of £10m.

We literally didn’t understand the deal we signed for £3m. Thats our whole argument in court, that we misinterpreted it.

Maybe I am being to simplelistic here.

What's to stop one of the existing investers
Setting up a sports retail company with the only objective being to give rangers a deal jumble sale.com won't match .

Thus walking away or being forced to give us millions ie lets say king .for example
Sets it up and instead of giving the club anymore loans he just gives money thru company ie they pay 5 million upfront and take pay back at a ridiculous rate 100k a year interest free .
Fatty won't want to match it and breaks the contract .

2/3 years down the line king decided to fold company and debt is converted to shares .

Is that to simple ?

The board have made a right mess of it.

What was the point in paying all that money to break the 7 years rolling contract.

Brutal stuff.
The money paid to get us out the 7 year rolling contract was paid to get our share of profits up to 50p and 70p in the £1 depending on where purchased - instead of the flat rate 4p in the £1 that was in the 7 year rolling contract.
Don’t forget king told us to start buying as the club would now receive more of the profits.

There was more to paying the fat man than the matched clauses

Maybe I am being to simplelistic here.

What's to stop one of the existing investers
Setting up a sports retail company with the only objective being to give rangers a deal jumble sale.com won't match .

Thus walking away or being forced to give us millions ie lets say king .for example
Sets it up and instead of giving the club anymore loans he just gives money thru company ie they pay 5 million upfront and take pay back at a ridiculous rate 100k a year interest free .
Fatty won't want to match it and breaks the contract .

2/3 years down the line king decided to fold company and debt is converted to shares .

Is that to simple ?

I was thinking on similar lines, as a perpetuity deal with Ashley will never be ended by that scumbag. Something extraordinary has to happen to ensure that Ashley won't or can't match any new deal. As from now, he's going nowhere.

Changes everything.

Major concern with that is, does SDI have total exclusivity on our merchandise or can we also set up other deals that match his deal?

If sports direct have matched the contract
We like
Then surely it’s ok money wise for us

Just need to buy them from SD

an I hope it’s just a years contract

I’m utterly depressed by the complete incompetence we demonstrate off the park. Hopeless PR , useless statements, allowing media to constantly defame us and now having spent millions to end up owing further millions. If we weren’t stuck with them heads would roll for this fiasco. I bet Hummel must look on us as complete amateurs.

This whole case, like the others before, is because scumbags deliberately signed away deals that they knew would cause severe damage to our income and revenue streams. Its utterly outrageous that no Judge could see what is in front of his face. Its utterly scandalous they've got away with it.
It’s utterly scandalous that our legal teams and board signed a contract they are now claiming they misunderstood. You and me would never work again after a total screw up like that.

This has got personal between king and ashley.

And its affecting the thinking of normal fans. That will cripple our club.

Why the %^*& would you buy a fake top? To spite Ashley!!!!

Ashley has agreed to give us the same profit as any other that decide they are interested.

We need to stop costing the club millions in court fees unless we have a chance of winning.

Someone's ego is now costing us.

We need to just go with the flow and ensure we have another company who will bid with ashley. That way he only wins if the other company submits a low price.

Rangers should give a free shirt to everyone who buys a team photo from the club. Cost of photo £50

It is clear that something, anything within the Law, must be utilised to end Ashley's crooked interference in our club. Circumventing this situation is now more than crucial.

Just to clarify, is it all future contracts SD can match, or are they out the picture as soon as they dont match one, if for example Elite were to offer on so ridiculous they couldn't or wouldn't match?

there are 2 cases (at least.) The other one is about damages for the failure to allow SDI to match the second (improved) Elite offer. This one follows on from SDI matching the first Elite offer.

If we negotiate a deal with elite (or anyone) and they have the right to match.

Can we do the following in theory?

Elite pay 20mill (ridiculous figure I know) up front and include a clause that there is no right to match in future at the end of the deal?

Therefore sd don’t match it and we then renegotiate with elite at a later date?

Haven’t read the ruling yet, but if we’ve now had it confirmed in law that the matching rights are indeed in play at every renewal, that’s hugely disappointing. Although it was always my reading of the previously published excerpts of the deal, so not surprising.

We can at least know it is in our power to negotiate deals that are far more normalised in terms of share of profit and have SDI bound to them, which is better than the 7 year fiasco ever was.

However, this result will surely make us less appealing to many potential retail partners who know they can be gazumped by MA.

What is better about our position now though?

The legal fees, the damages (still to come but its a formality), the £3m. Must be talking upwards of £10m.

We literally didn’t understand the deal we signed for £3m. Thats our whole argument in court, that we misinterpreted it.

The legal fees are now sensibly capped. The damages are capped at £1m.

The £3m was to get out of the 7 year deal early. If we hadn’t paid the £3m we would be doing all of this in a few years, during which we would be making no money and selling no strips.

It’s inaccurate to report the £3m was for nothing, as some are.

If we negotiate a deal with elite (or anyone) and they have the right to match.

Can we do the following in theory?

Elite pay 20mill (ridiculous figure I know) up front and include a clause that there is no right to match in future at the end of the deal?

Therefore sd don’t match it and we then renegotiate with elite at a later date?

contract is more devious than that I'm afraid.

SDI match only the material terms, which have a specific meaning under the contract. As long as they do that they get the renewal, and the other terms stay the same (including the matching clause going forward.)

If we got a ridiculous offer that they wouldn't match though, that would break the chain, and we would be rid of them.

The legal fees are now sensibly capped. The damages are capped at £1m.

The £3m was to get out of the 7 year deal early. If we hadn’t paid the £3m we would be doing all of this in a few years, during which we would be making no money and selling no strips.

It’s inaccurate to report the £3m was for nothing, as some are.
Can you show me where you found that the legal fees & damages are capped?

For the simpletons like myself, please confirm

if http://elitegroup-uk.com/
- offers x amount in the pound. Fat mike must match to win the contract.

Due to us not allowing him to match, it had cost our club £1m plus court fees?

And in the future, this loop repeats itself unless Fat mike matches the offer and although unpalatable the club would receive the same profits per kit?

I’m away on holiday so just catching up on the latest news now. F*cking horrendous - and virtually in line with what I suggested earlier in the thread would be the worst case scenario. The Fat C*nt may well be just that but his legal teams are the best in the business when it comes to doing his dirty work. Bastards every last one of them.

The way it's going everyone who has bought a replica kit this past year will end up having to owe that fat slug a Saturday shift in 1 of his jumble sale shithole stores.
Interesting payback.
Think of the damage we could do in one eight hour shift.
Count me in.

Can you show me where you found that the legal fees & damages are capped?

The breach damages are capped at £1m, that’s written in the contract that was debated.

The precious legal fees were extortionate and were awarded to SD with their court victory but the judge specifically ruled that they were hugely excessive and capped them - that’s the precedent.

I appreciate this isn’t great news today but it’s genuinely nowhere near as catastrophic as folk are making out. The big problem I see if our support swallowing pride and potentially having to buy from SD on the short term.

We need someone to make us over-the-odds offers on all aspects of our retail and force SD to match it or walk. If they match it, then so be it. It’s a great deal regardless of who it’s with.

Genuine question but what gives you even an ounce of hope that they will, its them that signed the contracts.

Didn’t they sign the contract that got us out of the 5p in the £ deal with the 7 year notice period?

Are we still making money with strip sales despite being with SD?

Didn’t they sign the contract that got us out of the 5p in the £ deal with the 7 year notice period?

Are we still making money with strip sales despite being with SD?

I dont know, it seems like a legal minefield and for every one step forward we're taking five back. The fat c*nt and his lawyers have tied us is knots by the looks of it.

For the simpletons like myself, please confirm

if http://elitegroup-uk.com/
- offers x amount in the pound. Fat mike must match to win the contract.

Due to us not allowing him to match, it had cost our club £1m plus court fees?

And in the future, this loop repeats itself unless Fat mike matches the offer and although unpalatable the club would receive the same profits per kit?

Kind of. It becomes complex because it seems certain aspects may be able to matched in isolation. I’m struggling with that part.

That’s my reading of it anyway.

What if .....

We set up an online company that has a deal with Hummel to supply the strips and then 100% of the profit from the sale after VAT go to the Youth Foundation.

Company to be run by willing volunteers for the duration so that there were no overheads.

The Club sign to that for the year.

Would fatty match that ?

What if .....

We set up an online company that has a deal with Hummel to supply the strips and then 100% of the profit from the sale after VAT go to the Youth Foundation.

Company to be run by willing volunteers for the duration so that there were no overheads.

The Club sign to that for the year.

Would fatty match that ?
They don’t need to match the exact terms of the deal.

Only certain “materials”. I’ve no idea what the materials are.

Back