Venezuela's Goalkeeper: Wuilker Farinez

drgriffen

Been really impressed with Farinez whenever I've seen him with Millonarios. At 21 he's already established himself as Venezuelas number 1 and it wouldn't surprise me to see him in Europe in the near future.

For clarity (again): not a player we should necessarily be looking at, just me highlighting another player from South America who may be of interest.

Article on Farinez which includes obligatory videos:

https://betweenthesticks1.wordpress...-of-goalkeeping-wuilker-farinez-copa-america/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuilker_Faríñez

Farinez is amazing. I’m really surprised that he yet hasn’t signed for a European club as yet.

How much do you think hell go for if he went this summer?

Don't know - I'm rubbish at judging the value of goalies.

Think his lack of height will hinder him getting a move to a top club, but I could see a team like Porto (or a mid-level Spanish team) taking a chance as he's an amazing shot-topper.

He would be daft to goto Barcelona and play second fiddle to Ter Stegan.

As me and you said Porto would be more suitable, maybe even Ajax if Onana goes.

I agree with what you're saying, but remember he is Venezuelan. The country is in the shitter so if Barca (or anyone else) offer him a load of money to be second choice then he may have to go - who knows how many people he may be able to help.

Might not be fair (or right) but a number of South American footballers who have come from poverty have to make this decision. Jackson Martinez, who went to China, made an incredible amount of money which has allowed him to help the community he grew up in and has guaranteed the financial security of his extended family.

I agree with what you're saying, but remember he is Venezuelan. The country is in the shitter so if Barca (or anyone else) offer him a load of money to be second choice then he may have to go - who knows how many people he may be able to help.

Might not be fair (or right) but a number of South American footballers who have come from poverty have to make this decision. Jackson Martinez, who went to China, made an incredible amount of money which has allowed him to help the community he grew up in and has guaranteed the financial security of his extended family.

The lure of Barcelona itself would be enough never mind money. Also not many players get more than one chance at signing for Barca or a club that size, so if he to hypothetically knock them back, would he ever get that shot again??

Your story of helping reminded me of former Hibs and Aston Villa full back Ulises De La Cruz who pumped tons of money into his hometown.

Saw him in Venezuela’s copa america games. Very eccentric and a bit mental like most south americans, but as it shows in those clips his reactions are lightning

He looks like a De Gea type - not dominant, unconventional handling but capable of the miraculous.

He looks absolutely exceptional on low shots of the type even good goalies rarely get near.

Watching the video;

Too many shots parried into dangerous positions, looks quite short under the high ball, erratic and not technically gifted.

Decent reflexes and brave but his deficiencies would be brutally punished at a higher level, some of those parries and punches would be easy meat in la liga or even lige 1. (IMHO)

Back