Liverpool and AS Roma Track Josh McPake

if we lose players like McPake and Gilmour before they can even reach the first team there is literally no point in a youth academy
Agreed. It’s imperative we keep and develop the good ones, even if we sell them for big bucks eventually. There is no point having a youth academy, with all the cost that entails, if it means losing all your best players for peanuts and releasing the rest as they aren’t good enough.

What is the point in having academies when they get to a certain age and can just go elsewhere with a shitey nominal fee being paid? I mean that for all clubs I imagine we take advantage of it to, the standard of football in this country might be a bit better if clubs are getting more money or getting to keep their better players.

A little weird that he's now entering his last year of his contract. Anyone able to cast a light on why, as he's so highly rated, he's not been offered new terms way before now? The way it's been reported, is that we're suddenly wanting to tie him down since there's interest in him.

Smashing player in what I've seen from the youths. Would hate to lose him at this point when he is probably in and around the 1st team.

Do those who know more about him know if he's a Rangers fan or not?

Whilst not necessarily the over riding factor, it could still be what sways him to wanting to reach the first team for his boyhood club.

we need to be keeping this boy - he could be big from what i hear, hes got bags of potential and is destined for big things.

Whose the last guy we brought through from the youth team?---Exactly

Get him tied down Mr Gerrard

i cant believe we havent already tied him down on a long contract, looks like another billy gilmour situation

Agreed. It’s imperative we keep and develop the good ones, even if we sell them for big bucks eventually. There is no point having a youth academy, with all the cost that entails, if it means losing all your best players for peanuts and releasing the rest as they aren’t good enough.

Ideally we would all like to see the best young players staying but if like Gilmour they want to leave there is not a great deal the club can do about it. As for leaving for peanuts if as reported Rangers received £500k (not counting any sell ons) for Gilmour that is hardly peanuts and would more than offset the time and effort put into coaching him so I believe that there is every reason to keep the youth academy .

A little weird that he's now entering his last year of his contract. Anyone able to cast a light on why, as he's so highly rated, he's not been offered new terms way before now? The way it's been reported, is that we're suddenly wanting to tie him down since there's interest in him.

Smashing player in what I've seen from the youths. Would hate to lose him at this point when he is probably in and around the 1st team.

I believe when a player turns 16, they can only be signed on a contract that takes them to 18.

From there, they can sign for longer.

Or it's something like that. Prevents the old Jim McLean specials.

I believe when a player turns 16, they can only be signed on a contract that takes them to 18.

From there, they can sign for longer.

Or it's something like that. Prevents the old Jim McLean specials.

That makes sense, cheers mate. Looks like it could just be unfortunate timing of the interest coming about when we're looking to give him a new contract.

I think you can only offer U18’s one year extensions to their contracts.

Liverpool will spend hundreds of millions from now until he’a 19. His best chance of football is where he is.
His point is, they need the chance. I heard the dissapoinentment in young Gilmours voice that the one time he thought he was getting a.chance we opted not to use him from the bench. Time we started hammering teams so we have ample opportunities to give these kids a taste. A real taste.

Ideally we would all like to see the best young players staying but if like Gilmour they want to leave there is not a great deal the club can do about it. As for leaving for peanuts if as reported Rangers received £500k (not counting any sell ons) for Gilmour that is hardly peanuts and would more than offset the time and effort put into coaching him so I believe that there is every reason to keep the youth academy .
You cant get sell ons for a player who’s not signed as was the case with Gilmour.

I really hope he stays with us, it’s getting annoying with our best prospects getting stolen before they even get a debut for us. I really hope he stays here. If not, it’s another Billy Gilmour repeat.

This is where it gets frustrating. These boys want to play football and keep seeing players being brought in that scupper that
Three things then.
He is not going to get anymore game time at Liverpool so that won’t alleviate the frustration he feels.
Liverpool will still be signing players.
Does he really believe he’s deserving of a shirt ahead of our first team squad at the minute.

At sixteen, he can only sign a two year deal.

if we lose players like McPake and Gilmour before they can even reach the first team there is literally no point in a youth academy
This is slightly different from Gilmour in that McPake is already a professional with a contract.
Gilmour was looking to sign his first contract.

Three things then.
He is not going to get anymore game time at Liverpool so that won’t alleviate the frustration he feels.
Liverpool will still be signing players.
Does he really believe he’s deserving of a shirt ahead of our first team squad at the minute.

Problem is you can sign for Premier league teams in Engand on serious money and get your game time out on loan. Ryan Kent, James Madison, Patrick Roberts etc have all done it in our league never mind the ones in the championship and league one.

He’s a real talent who should be looking to make his mark here. There’s a path to the first team. He only has to look at Glen Middleton for that.

He is however from a Coatbridge Celtic supporting family and his head may be turned easier as a result or it may not be. Who knows

I just hope he makes the right choice

He’s a talented lad with bags of potential. Exactly what we as a club need to be producing and selling on for big bucks. Not losing them before they’ve even kicked a ball for us

Possibly why we lose them by not allowing them to kick a ball for us

Back