Ibrox 2022 Project

gwrfc72

So I’ve been reading a lot about the 2022 project which is a series of major developments to Ibrox for the clubs 150th Anniversary in 2022. Obviously we’ve seen new glass sides to the stands, new dugouts, track and hybrid pitch plus the inside of the main stand being refurbished. Does anybody know what the further developments we could be seeing in the next few season are? I saw that we want to do something with Edminston house but no idea what.

Not as simple as that unfortunately. Doesn't it have a fair bit of Asbestos in it?

Though I could definitely see the argument for leveling it, there's still some value to be had by renovating it IMO. Let's turn it into something that's going to make us an income.

Could be turned into the ticket office/megastore. People have suggested a club museum or cafe.

Could be turned into the ticket office/megastore. People have suggested a club museum or cafe.
I'd turn it into the megastore, and turn the current megastore into the ticket office.
I think the problem we'd have with a club museum is finding the balance between putting stuff in the museum, and keeping it in the trophy room. In a lot of ways, the stadium tour is the museum tour. Though I appreciate that there are other clubs that have found this balance.
Cafe is a really good shout.

Our stadium is absolutely iconic the way it is not much needs done apart from the touch ups there doing, keep it clean and looked after and it will do the rest

I'd turn it into the megastore, and turn the current megastore into the ticket office.
I think the problem we'd have with a club museum is finding the balance between putting stuff in the museum, and keeping it in the trophy room. In a lot of ways, the stadium tour is the museum tour. Though I appreciate that there are other clubs that have found this balance.

There are things that don't get near the trophy room that should be in a museum.

There's stories of players finding old memorabilia in the ceilings and such.

Would be very easy to build a museum from the last 150 years.
I don't doubt, I just think you'd have to have some way of incorporating the Trophy Room into it.

Maybe your museum ticket comes with a free stadium tour or something, I dunno.

Unless we get some proper investment from some sort of external investor(s) then this will be pretty low key and underwhelming.

Our income barely covers our costs as it is.

If we're doing something with Edmiston House we'd want to get a bit of a move on. It'll take a good while to bring that building up to scratch.

Ed house is in the pipeline. I work in construction and the PQS on the job I'm delivering just now is working with Rangers on the Ed house development, he hasn't told me anything other than than he is meeting with them regularly.

Why has this now got severely negative undertones on this thread ?

Is it because of the memorial garden farce ?

The last things I read were positive , walkway outside main stand , fanzone on pitch area behind , surrounds all with trees , paths etc, memorial garden and so forth .

Clearly somethings changed .

unless there serious financial investment there wont be much can be done to the stadium and surrounding areas. most the money is needed for squad.

Theres plenty hotels within a short distance of Ibrox?

We missed an opportunity with this. Now you have the village hotel abd premier inn just round the corner. We could have got some of the business from the hydro as well as match days. Plus good transport links for business users.

Possibly if you make it more of a bar/restaurant similar to a hard rock cafe with memorabilia on the walls and on display.

But who is going outwith matchdays? You're not going to get passing trade in the Ibrox area. I realise the stadium tours would bring in business, and there would be an increase in tourists during the summer, but is that really enough to make it turn an annual profit?

A rangers style cafe is a great shout - could be used by multiple bears like myself who regularly work out of various costas, Starbucks and McDonald's but safe in the knowledge you will only be surrounded by fellow staunchers. Do it!

Would a museum or cafe really make that much money outside of matchdays? Enough to justify the outlay?
We need to arrange stadium tours from say George Square leaving 3 or 4 times a day, tourists would love it if we had the right facilities, ie stadium tour, museum with cafe bar and club shop to buy merchandise.. ££££££

We need to arrange stadium tours from say George Square leaving 3 or 4 times a day, tourists would love it if we had the right facilities, ie stadium tour, museum with cafe bar and club shop to buy merchandise.. ££££££

We'd probably struggle to get the visitor numbers to justify that during the tourist season, never mind on a wet Tuesday in February. I'm fairly sure the club would have already done the sums on all these ideas.

We'd probably struggle to get the visitor numbers to justify that during the tourist season, never mind on a wet Tuesday in February. I'm fairly sure the club would have already done the sums on all these ideas.

We've never tried, we don't promote ourselves in our own city never mind the UK, Glasgow, s tourism is rising all the time. People are looking for things to do on rainy days. Everything will be indoors.. The art galleries and transport museum are proof of this.

We've never tried, we don't promote ourselves in our own city never mind the UK, Glasgow, s tourism is rising all the time. People are looking for things to do on rainy days. Everything will be indoors.. The art galleries and transport museum are proof of this.

Both of which are free.

Some hotels in Manchester Amsterdam barcelona that I’ve stayed in have teams tour listed as a city attraction something I’ve never seen for us or them tbf in any hotel in Glasgow

Not in hotels however the mentally challengeds have buddied up with one of the glasgow city bus tours and it stops at the piggery.

Cafe/bar type of thing sounds great on match days - packed to the rafters on possibly 25-30 days a year, with Cups, Europe & friendlies. But the other 330-odd days where it takes buttons would likely mean running at a significant loss.

Far more cost effective to rent out a segment of large fan-zone area that Edmiston House sits on to various mobile caterers, vendors and bar operators. Eg 30 vendors renting a pitch at £2,000 each x 30 match days = £1.8 million gross income for the Club, with no real outlay.

Don’t reckon there would be a shortage of food & beverage vendors willing to pay for a pitch that gives them access to a potential 50,000 wallets/purses every home game

Back