Lee Bowyer: Joe Aribo making a mistake if he signs for Rangers

Bonnyloyal

Charlton manager Lee Bowyer reckons Joe Aribo will be making a huge mistake if he signs for Rangers.

The midfielder, 23, has agreed a four-year contract with the Glasgow giants and is due to seal his switch pending a successful medical.

Bowyer accepts that the Addicks cannot match the terms on offer elsewhere for the Camberwell-born player. Southampton were also keen on a deal – which would have netted the newly-promoted Championship side some decent compensation.

Instead Aribo’s move to the Scottish Premier League will see minimal money heading Charlton’s way. But Bowyer is more annoyed that one of the most promising talents in English football is heading into a competition where Rangers and Celtic dominate.

“I worked so hard to get him to this situation he is in now,” said the Charlton manager. “It is about progression for him.

“So it’s a shame if he gets pushed to somewhere where it is not going to benefit him in his football career. If he goes to Rangers that is not the right place for him to go for his football career.

“You have got Rangers and Celtic who are massive clubs, I get that. And I get that Steven Gerrard was a great player, so that’s an attraction. Those two things are the attraction – but not everything else.

“It doesn’t make sense on the football side. When people from England go and play for Celtic and Rangers it is at the end of their careers. That’s because it is very rare you get a move from Rangers to the Premier League, and I don’t mean any disrespect by that.

“They might go from Rangers to the Championship, very rarely is it to the Premier League. For me he should stay in England and keep progressing. The move should benefit Joe.”

Charlton Athletic manager Lee Bowyer and Joe Aribo
Aribo’s departure will make it two high-profile exits in the past week of key men in Charlton’s play-off winning squad. Centre-back Patrick Bauer joined Preston North End last week. On Friday Bowyer met with Aribo, who was on non-league Staines’ books until he was recommended to Charlton development coach Jason Euell by Marcus Gayle in 2015.

Bowyer said: “For us to be able to compete financially with Rangers or any other team really, it is not possible unfortunately. It’s a completely different league to what we’re offering.

“I met and had a chat with Joe on Friday. I told him that if he was going to go, at least stay in England – because that is where the best football is. If you have got the opportunity to go and play Premier League football, then at least you are going to the best place.”

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/...ibo-making-a-mistake-if-he-signs-for-rangers/

iu

Aribo goes to the English Premiership and be probably sees majority of action from the bench. That stifles his progression.

He stays at Charlton in the Chanpionship and he is at a club fighting relegation.

Moving to another Championship club could have been an option but the majority of them are shite.

Move to Rangers, play under enormous pressure, European experience, help win trophies, make a name for yourself, continue to develop, show you can handle the pressure and environment then move to the English Premiership.

“Scottish Premier League” sums up the general air of ignorance English have about football here - just the 6 years it hasn’t actually been called that.

Roon ye Bowyer.

Aribo goes to the English Premiership and be probably sees majority of action from the bench. That stifles his progression.

He stays at Charlton in the Chanpionship and he is at a club fighting relegation.

Moving to another Championship club could have been an option but the majority of them are shite.

Move to Rangers, play under enormous pressure, European experience, help win trophies, make a name for yourself, continue to develop, show you can handle the pressure and environment then move to the English Premiership.
This

I went to a Premier League game last season (Palace v Huddersfield) and the standard of football was as bad as anything I've seen up here. They absolutely have delusions of grandeur about the level their game is at based on the money that's floating about.

Plenty of people have gone on to have great careers in England from playing in the top league in Scotland.

Last edited:
From outside looking in you could actually make sense of what he’s saying.
But then when you know anything about playing for Rangers and the demands of our club then it’s abundantly clear that a move to Rangers (or Celtic for that matter) is a massive challenge and if it goes well for you then you can find yourself at a bigger club than he’d get now, having experienced one of the fiercest Derby’s in the world and winning trophies all under intense pressure that you only really get at the top top English clubs, all while under the wing of 2 of the greatest midfielders of their respective countries recent pasts in Gerrard and McAllister.

Can we just cut through the bullshit here, the Championship, League 1 and 2 is a horrible standard of football.

Championship has great coverage but by god the standard generally is honking. Just look at the list of top scorers over the years, many of whom struggled to even get a game in Scotland never mind a goal.

Isn't it really weird how many people in England say league 1 and league 2 teams could breeze Scotland, given the amount of players that go back and forward between the SPL and one of the "most competitive leagues in the world" in the Championship. Bitter arsehole.

I went to a Premier League game (Palace v Huddersfield) and the standard of football was as bad as anything I've seen up here. They absolutely have delusions of grandeur about the level their game is at based on the money that's floating about.

Plenty of people have gone on to have great careers in England from playing in the top league in Scotland.

I went to Everton v Swansea (at the time 2 teams playing pretty decent football) and then city v Swansea and both games were dire. Atmosphere was non existent as well. It opened my eyes to how easy it is for MOTD to make a game look good only showing 3 mins of highlights from it.

He’s wanting him to go to the Premiership because Charlton will get more money, it’s nothing to do with the lads development.

He goes to a Premier League club now and he’s on the bench, in the reserves or out on loan for years.

He comes to us and he’s managed by two of the best midfielders ever to play in England, play first team football every week in front of a massive and demanding crowd and the chance to play European football and win trophies.

Fortunately for us it seems Aribo is switched on enough to know where he’s best going.

Its understandable he wanted joe to stay in England. If he did, charlton would be due a lot more money. That’s what this comes down to, Bowyer is being bitter as he wanted more transfer cash. Simples.

If Charlton were getting the same development fee from us as the English clubs then Bowyer wouldn't have an issue.

He wants Aribo to stay in England for the money Charlton will receive.

Bowyer has not said a great deal wrong here. He has said we are a massive Club and Gerrard is top boy.

He's guilty of showing a little ignorance that it's rare to go from here to the EPL. Joe will also learn a lot when we make the Europa league again and even more working with Gerrard and his team.

Bowyer is hurting cos they got the minimum cash for Aribo. Never mind.

What an ignorant pile of shite. Without wishing to sing the praises of the mentally challengeds but they have just provided two ex players who have just appeared in the CL final for English clubs, then there is Robertson as well. Our situation on that front differs purely because of the position we have been in the last few years but even then, we sold Jelavic to the EPL just prior to that and Whittaker, Davis, Naismith and Edu followed shortly afterwards.

Bowyer can go phukk himself, he will be out of a job within a few months and Charlton will be heading back to League One.

Lee Bowyer was brilliant in Champ Manager 01/02.

Now he's a greetin' faced cocksplash.

That is the story of Lee Bowyer. Amen.

Back