Expectations for Europa League This Season?

Stanley Yelnats

What do we all feel should be our aim for the EL this year?

I’m hoping just to get qualified first then I’d be looking at trying to get into the knockout stages from the group. If you put our current squad in our group from last year I seriously think we’d progress no bother.

A year on and the squad is really starting to come together and we’ve added strength in depth, something that we previously didn’t have.

Looking back on last year our squad was just formed and look how well we performed in the EL, there’s no reason why we can’t go that one step further this year. We’re settled, we’re stronger and I’m very much looking forward to this season’s campaign. I feel we can go far.

What’s everyone else thinking?

I want to see us in the group stages first and foremost them let’s see who’s in the draw to see if we can get out that but I’d be happy with group stages to start

Group stage would be great we got a better sqaud to cope with it this year also cash is king and the £15m will be handy to the club too keep kicking on

For me it's all down to the 3rd round draw.

We could get Roma, Olympiakos or Wolves.

Could equally get Vitoria, AZ or Strasbourg.

I'm just taking it as it comes and hoping we ease through the first two rounds. I'd love to make the groups again but it's the luck of the draw.

No expectations other than the first few rounds should be easier to navigate. Once past this it comes down to fine margins. Last season we were lucky with the draw. This season though we are better suited for whoever we come up against.

Havent really given it much thought in all honesty! No reason we cant make the group stages again, with a decent group maybe even qualify

Q3 and Q4 are a lottery TBH, we got lucky last year so we are prob due a bit of bad luck of the draw.

Group stages would be great but we got alot of luck in the qualifier draws last season that we might not get this time round. We just need to see how the qualifiers go before setting any expectations.

A good showing in the group stages is what I expect but we could draw someone like Roma before that in the qualifiers.

All depends on the luck of the draw!

Just qualify for the groups. Then our main focus should be the league. Wholesale changes on a Thursday night to ensure we have a fresh team on the Sunday.

Group stages again would be lovely.

We must not forget qualifying will be a bit tougher this year due to possible opponents in QR 3 & 4 draw. Getting past a decent opponent and making the groups would be great.

It’ll depend on the QR3 draw. If we get lucky again and draw a team like Maribor (not them obviously), and can beat them and take their seed then we’d have a good chance of the groups again. We could just as easily draw Roma though and be pumped out.

Hopefully we go further than last year.
We did really well but just fizzled out towards the end with the results in Moscow and Vienna.

We need to be aiming for the groups and yes I realise that will require favourable draws but we need revenue and coefficient points. It’s all part of rebuilding and European progress will provide additional revenue with which to strengthen our squad. It also will help attract a higher calibre of player.

Group stages would be a massive achievement but we would need a relatively kind draw in QR3 and play-offs.

Hopefully through the first 2 rounds comfortably then it all boils down to the draw.
I’d love to get to the group stage again.

As mentioned depends on Q3 draw,Roma or Wolves and we're very much up against it I'm afraid.

Depends on the draw really. There's some strong teams in the mix for qualification.

If we perform well but go out to a strong team, I can have no complaints.

If we lose to a relative minnow, I'd be pretty disappointed.

The third round is the crucial draw, if we draw Roma for example and get beat I’m not going to be upset about it.

If we draw a team that we’re capable of beating I might be slightly annoyed. I’d like the group stages but it’s not a given.

As they say luck of the draw.

People are seriously underestimating how hard it is to even qualify for the group stages..

Just because we managed it last year doesn’t mean it’s going to happen every season. Out with the Maribor game, we had a very favourable draw.. Playing UFA to reach the group stages, we literally couldn’t of hand picked a better tie. They almost got relegated this season!!

Regardless of the draw we had last season it was still some achievement to reach the groups, I just don’t want people expecting it to be the norm every year.

Getting through the first two rounds is a must. After that it could become tricky depending on the draw. Hope we can make it again as we had some great nights last year in the EL.

If we don't make it, lets stay positive and we can concentrate on winning our league title back.

It's a massive ask to reach the group stages again tbh, has any team ever done it 2 years running? Think we'll get through first 2 rounds comfortably but on the lap of the gods re the draw after that.

I would be delighted if we did qualify again though, for all I agree that 55 is priority, the european games are immensely enjoyable and provide a welcome boost to finances and profile. Also, with the increased squad depth, we could in theory field an entirely different spl team to the EL one.

If we don't make it, I suppose I could live with us going out in a blaze of glory against one of the big ones like Roma, giving them the fright of their lives and a proper big game atmosphere at Ibrox to savour.

I’d be delighted to get to the groups just for the financial implications.

Beyond that I’m not really bothered as long as we are winning domestically.

In an ideal world I'd say out as soon as possible for the next couple of years. But I understand the importance in terms of money and restoring reputation, so get by the first two rounds and take it from there.

Qualifying is a tough ask. Let’s not get carried away.
Agree with this.

We were very fortunate with the draw last year and as much as we could arguably say the team is in a better place as well as being together for a year since then, we need the 3rd and 4th qualifying round draws to be kind to get through them. We're unseeded and could play a few far better teams than we faced last season.

Honestly I'd be happy just reaching the group stages again then evaluating it depending on who we get in the group...really think we should've qualified from ours last season.

Group stages would be great but we’re unlikely to get as kind a draw as last season.

I’m torn as it is possible avoiding the extra games could help us to 55 but we could do with the income.

Literally just take it a game at a time. It is easy to say "GROUP STAGES!!" but we could get some tough as anything opponents on the way.

We also can't knock it back as some people like to suggest as well (to not get in the way of domestic campaigns) the money it brings in is always needed. We should now, also, have a big enough (and good enough) squad to cope with the demands.

Really depends on the draw. We could get some seriously strong teams in the 3rd round like Frankfurt or Roma. Last year we got very lucky with close to the best draw we could get in every round. It's likely to be a lot harder this year.

Considering what we know about the draw so far my minimum expectation is to reach the 3rd qualifying round for now.

I think we're doing well if we get to the group stages.

Look at how difficult it was last season.

Reactions: VGM
What do we all feel should be our aim for the EL this year?

I’m hoping just to get qualified first then I’d be looking at trying to get into the knockout stages from the group. If you put our current squad in our group from last year I seriously think we’d progress no bother.

A year on and the squad is really starting to come together and we’ve added strength in depth, something that we previously didn’t have.

Looking back on last year our squad was just formed and look how well we performed in the EL, there’s no reason why we can’t go that one step further this year. We’re settled, we’re stronger and I’m very much looking forward to this season’s campaign. I feel we can go far.

What’s everyone else thinking?
Qualifying for groups would be the target. The domestic league has to be priority though.

Group stages for the revenue and further only if the additional games/travel doesn’t derail the 55 express.

Back