Possibly 8th signing by end of the week

I've been clear for ages that I want Morelos moved on and money reinvested for the benefit of the team.

Our best business has been frees/cross border Bosmans/loans over the past couple of years.

In Tav, Morelos, Arfield, Aribo, Kamara, Jones, Arfield, Hastie etc, it’s probably £30m worth of talent on the open market for less than £1.5m initial layout.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t spend a lot in transfers this window.

Our best business has been frees/cross border Bosmans/loans over the past couple of years.

In Tav, Morelos, Arfield, Aribo, Kamara, Jones, Arfield, Hastie etc, it’s probably £30m worth of talent on the open market for less than £1.5m initial layout.

I'd to think we will exceed last year's net spend of £5m. Giving the manager less this time would be strange. Still money to be spent. There has to be.

The fact its not leaked at all makes me think its someone Gerrard knows, hoping its Cahill but have a sneaky suspicion its Skrtel.

Our Andy is the best left back at the club.No idea why Barisic gets the start ahead of him.
Probably because we spent money on him.Bet ya Andy is frustrated,I know that I am.:confused:

If Andy Halliday is our best left back we better get signing one pronto. He's not though so panic over!

Given how tight lipped SG is with the press regarding transfer activity. From reading that I got the impression this transfer is basically complete and is now just subject to the logistics of actually signing/announcing.

Just my opinion, of course!

There is 100% a fixation with transfer fees spent here that makes little sense. If Kent is worth £15M, what does that tell us about players in the £3-4M range? Benkovic is £15M and he’s terrified of Kent and was dropped from the Croatia U21 team.The quality of players we’ve bought on a free or under £1M recently has been great, and long may it continue.

We spent big on Barisic and Grezda, the first, half of the fans want him gone and the latter all of the fans want him gone, as well as the manager. Why give ourselves the hassle? If/when a big spend player flops, the very same fee that fans have been calling for being spent is used as a weapon against those doing the buying. The price range we’re looking at, you simply can’t get ready made star players for. Please stop expecting it to suddenly change.

Not obsession. But as fans we bankroll the club every season. WE are the biggest investors.

We HAVE to start winning trophies. I expect every penny available to strengthen the team so that we ensure the success that we all want.

We’re likely going to post a loss this financial year despite bringing in unexpected European money last season, we literally are using every penny toward what we all crave, however we’re going to have to be clever in the transfer market.

We may well spend a bit, but its not the be all and end all.

We’re likely going to post a loss this financial year despite bringing in unexpected European money last season, we literally are using every penny toward what we all crave, however we’re going to have to be clever in the transfer market.

We may well spend a bit, but its not the be all and end all.
All I am saying is that we WILL spend more and the best is yet to come. There is clearly money left in the kitty.

SG will not be f.ucking about. Trophies HAVE to be won.

A quality centre back, Kemar Roofe, Ryan Kent on loan and that would be an outstanding transfer window. That and getting deadwood off the wage bill for good; Lafferty, Dorrans, Grezda...

Agreed.

The problem is we will not have morelos, roofe and defoe in our squad as much as we would all love that.

We will only be able to afford/have a chance at roofe if we sell morelos for big money + free his wages up as he is our highest paid player and will no doubt have to make roofe our highest paid or defo one of highest paid up with tav/aribo to have a chance of tempting.

Agreed.

The problem is we will not have morelos, roofe and defoe in our squad as much as we would all love that.

We will only be able to afford/have a chance at roofe if we sell morelos for big money + free his wages up as he is our highest paid player and will no doubt have to make roofe our highest paid or defo one of highest paid up with tav/aribo to have a chance of tempting.

Why would Defoe not be in the squad? Do you know something we don't?

All I am saying is that we WILL spend more and the best is yet to come. There is clearly money left in the kitty.

SG will not be f.ucking about. Trophies HAVE to be won.

Of course, but don’t be surprised if he’s happy to use his budget on wages, Aribo, for instance, is a big investment and is probably the same outlay as spending 3 or 4 million on someone from Europe.

Why would Defoe not be in the squad? Do you know something we don't?

Haha dont know if you are bamming me here or not so might be a whoosh moment but I just mean we cannot afford to pay £5million+ for roofe without first selling alfredo + I dont see up paying the wages of defoe, morelos and roofe when only 2 of the 3 would relistically start every week.

IMO.

Agree ICA. It’s the right strategy but I do still think that there may be a 2m plus signing on top of these really smart moves.

And Hughie & The Knews all told us we needed 50-70m :D:D:D

Gerrard has more than once said there's money to go and buy players and he's happy with the backing from the board. Only last week I believe he said him and the board are on the same page.
You got quotes for all that?

I know he said it about last summer but don’t think he has lately.

Haha dont know if you are bamming me here or not so might be a whoosh moment but I just mean we cannot afford to pay £5million+ for roofe without first selling alfredo + I dont see up paying the wages of defoe, morelos and roofe when only 2 of the 3 would relistically start every week.

IMO.

I wasn't at the wind up. Just wasn't sure what you meant. But I understand now bud

You got quotes for all that?

I know he said it about last summer but don’t think he has lately.

When talking about Morelos he said he has ‘absolute trust and backing of the board’.

I realise thats in a different context, but its relative to transfers.

Skyrtel would be a complete disaster surely hits not him.

I hope whoever it is doesn’t see Katic dropped again.

Whoever it is, I trust our gaffer and team to get the right man.

Signings so far this summer all look good and a improvement in what we had so I’m sure SG will get the right guy.

If he's a better central defender than Katic then he'll play mate.

If he's not he won't.

This, if there’s an upgrade available we go for it, no room for sentiment, and regardless of that the whole squad will have a part to play.

Around March last season I thought Goldson, for example, looked fatigued, hopefully there won’t be the need to ask too much of players this season if we get the squad strong enough.

If it is Skrtel he will definitely be going into the team when match fit. I can't see Katic hanging around if he's dumped again considering we barely lose a goal when he's in the lineup.

Add in the wages, I expect he'd be our top earner, and it could be a disruptive one.

All ifs though.

Skrtel has had a very poor season in Turkey. He is now pretty slow and clumsy with his tackling.
It would be like having a 35 yo Joe Worrall in the team.
It would be a mistake to sign him and would be crazy to drop who I think is our best CH (Katic ) for him.
Last year we had far too many reds due to indiscipline and shit refs. Skrtel would add to this.

I would happily take Deli or Cahill.

However I would not use words like disaster which is a bit over dramatic.

Skrtel has had a very poor season in Turkey. He is now pretty slow and clumsy with his tackling.
It would be like having a 35 yo Joe Worrall in the team.
It would be a mistake to sign him and would be crazy to drop who I think is our best CH (Katic ) for him.
Last year we had far too many reds due to indiscipline and shit refs. Skrtel would add to this.

I would happily take Deli or Cahill.

However I would not use words like disaster which is a bit over dramatic.
I agree. I'm not keen on older players with their best years behind them on a good wage.

There are a few exceptions like Defoe.

There is 100% a fixation with transfer fees spent here that makes little sense. If Kent is worth £15M, what does that tell us about players in the £3-4M range? Benkovic is £15M and he’s terrified of Kent and was dropped from the Croatia U21 team.The quality of players we’ve bought on a free or under £1M recently has been great, and long may it continue.

We spent big on Barisic and Grezda, the first, half of the fans want him gone and the latter all of the fans want him gone, as well as the manager. Why give ourselves the hassle? If/when a big spend player flops, the very same fee that fans have been calling for being spent is used as a weapon against those doing the buying. The price range we’re looking at, you simply can’t get ready made star players for. Please stop expecting it to suddenly change.
The Katic v Benkovic situation shows that what you are saying is totally correct.

Katic was reported as being £1m at the time. He already had 1 Croatia full cap and was an Under 21 regular. Leicester bought Benkovic for £12m iirc with no full caps, loaned him out to Celtic. They recently played together for the Croatia U21 and Katic was superb compared to Benkovic, who was then dropped for the next games. The Celtic fans loved Benkovic but I'd argue some of him performances were suspect. Niko, on the other hand, has continued to improve and will surely get another call up to the Croatia squad soon.

So far we've spent about £1.4m on transfer fees/compensation (Edmundson, Hastie, Aribo), and our new signings are already making an impact and impressing.

At our level cost doesnt always equal quality. I think the club have done a superb job so far. If we can add quality and spend a fraction of our rivals then I will be a very happy girl!

Just guesswork, but Gerrards comments to me indicated its been in the works for a bit, with progress made last couple of days.

I take that as it's more likely a name we have been linked with in the past or have enquired about previously.

Based on that, I reckon one of the below is most likely.

Skrtel
Cahill
Fernando Couto

All I am trying to say is that Andy has been the best at that position since Barasic arrived.
Barasic may well start to play up to expectations,and I will be very happy.but as
of now,Andy is definitely our best option.
Yur right pal how can barasic be our best left back when he’s been dug sh!te.
Forget how much we payed.
Forget he’s a Croatian international.
Has he been better than Halliday or Flanagan in that left bck position absolutely not.
I go on performances and he’s been rotten I would take what payed for him tomorrow. The guy has no heart or fight, Halliday and Flanagan have that in abundance.
Barasic has not kicked his own @rse since the two games for Osijek, makes me think wer they a flash in the pan certainly looks that way.

Just guesswork, but Gerrards comments to me indicated its been in the works for a bit, with progress made last couple of days.

I take that as it's more likely a name we have been linked with in the past or have enquired about previously.

Based on that, I reckon one of the below is most likely.

Skrtel
Cahill
Fernando Couto

Couto at 49 might be a bit old mate:)

Yur right pal how can barasic be our best left back when he’s been dug sh!te.
Forget how much we payed.
Forget he’s a Croatian international.
Has he been better than Halliday or Flanagan in that left bck position absolutely not.
I go on performances and he’s been rotten I would take what payed for him tomorrow. The guy has no heart or fight, Halliday and Flanagan have that in abundance.
Barasic has not kicked his own @rse since the two games for Osijek, makes me think wer they a flash in the pan certainly looks that way.

Bollocks mate to most of that.
I take it you never watched him yesterday? Probably had a better game than Tav, defended ok, crossing was good (1 assist) and scored from free kick.

The Katic v Benkovic situation shows that what you are saying is totally correct.

Katic was reported as being £1m at the time. He already had 1 Croatia full cap and was an Under 21 regular. Leicester bought Benkovic for £12m iirc with no full caps, loaned him out to Celtic. They recently played together for the Croatia U21 and Katic was superb compared to Benkovic, who was then dropped for the next games. The Celtic fans loved Benkovic but I'd argue some of him performances were suspect. Niko, on the other hand, has continued to improve and will surely get another call up to the Croatia squad soon.

So far we've spent about £1.4m on transfer fees/compensation (Edmundson, Hastie, Aribo), and our new signings are already making an impact and impressing.

At our level cost doesnt always equal quality. I think the club have done a superb job so far. If we can add quality and spend a fraction of our rivals then I will be a very happy girl!
Said it countless times before on here, but we would be far better off pouring our money into first team wages rather than transfer fees. You get a much better hit rate in the transfer market when you prioritise that way.

I’m struggling to agree.

Worral?

Katic, Worrall and Goldson all had excellent spells last season and times when their form shaded.

I'm happy enough to have good cover to replace anyone who's performance levels drop.

Back