What makes your dad mad watching football?

millar2318

Had the old boy round for Gers st Joe's the other night, joyous as ever.

It's like he's stuck in a football timewarp from the 60s and 70s.

His biggest gripe (and i mean genuinely losing the plot about), is the ball not being in the quadrant for a corner, he has no concept of whole of the ball whole of the line, so actually gets out his seat and shouts at the TV, it's spectacular to witness.

You should have seen his face when I tried to explain why the linesmen now late flag as well......

So, anger management issues of my own old man aside, what makes your own da mad watching football?

My dad cracks up if we aren't winning after 10 minutes.

It's actually a real struggle watching the games with him to be honest, I don't think he means it but it's as if he isn't happy unless he is moaning and being negative.

I can just imagine what he would've been like at half time on Tuesday.

When my late dad first took me to Ibrox in the 70s his classic shout from the enclosure was “gie them a baw each”.. I never really understood what it meant. Until it suddenly dawned on me that it must have been because a few players were going for the same ball.
My lad now looks in bemusement at me at the nonsense I shout.

One of the funniest things I’ve ever seen is during the 5-1 defeat where Senderos did the Anton, was my old man, very drunk and emotional (he’d lost his best pal who he followed us all over with during the week) standing up and launching an epic rant at the telly about how much better we are than them. He finished it off with “AND WE’VE GOT A MUCH BETTER FUCKING PROGRAMME THAN YOU CHUNTS” and I lost the plot laughing.

My auld man always go nuts when a ball is not passed in front of a player. When a player has to stop his run or check back he loses the plot. It must run in the family as that gets right on my tits as well

Another one he comes up with is complete derision at any shot that goes over the bar:

'first thing your taught is keep your weight over the ball'

If anyong range shot doesn't end up in an Albertz or a Gerard the player is written off as shite lol

My dad is really really old. He gets annoyed at nothing and hates everyone and everything......According to my old Mum he spends every single game shouting obscenities at everyone, so much so that the dog cowers in the kitchen out of the way. He hated McCoist and Warburton, he hated Caixinha, thinks Gerrard is a waste of space and that we’ll win nothing with him in charge. He hates every single commentator and watches with the sound off. He gets mad at Tav just for being black, he thinks Kent is a lightweight and as for Morelos, he just wants to kill him. Even when he scores his celebratory reaction is more anger than joyous.
He only watches Rangers games. He won’t watch celtc ever, even when they’re playing us. He can’t understand why we didn’t win the league last season and gets annoyed when I point out we play some great football. He reckons if we had stuck with Ashley we would be champions now and that King is dodgy as f*ck. He also wants Murray back.
If he knew what a computer was he’d probably be a member of VB.

I find it hard even talking to him about Rangers, never met anyone so negative in all my life. A complete change from the dad that used to take me to the games in the late 60’s and 70’s. A crying shame tbh

Another one he comes up with is complete derision at any shot that goes over the bar:

'first thing your taught is keep your weight over the ball'

If anyong range shot doesn't end up in an Albertz or a Gerard the player is written off as shite lol
This reminds me of one of RTV Tom's go to phrases: "back lift". Is this what he is referring to?

My dad gets absolutely beeling about diving and pretending to be injured. Goes mental.

The other one is watching the super Sunday games and the perceived wee team not getting what in his eyes was a stonewall decision. Goes on a rant about the big team always getting the decision. Same at every level of football he tells me.

Three pet hates
1 wingers not utilising what he sees as the best move in football. Get to the by-line and cut the ball back. Every time any team scores using this he will say - Football’s an easy game you know...
2 full-backs that don’t prevent the cross coming into the box
3 Goalies not commanding their 6 yard box and claiming every high ball that comes in from a cross or a corner.

He’s my absolute hero though and I have countless amazing memories of enjoying fantastic Rangers wins with him. I absolutely dread the day he’s not here but I’m so glad I’ll have all those memories to look back on.

Rangers winning :D

In truth, my dad’s even lost interest in following Celtic since he moved down south and is a total EPL Fanboy... loves just about every team in the league, loves VAR, loves modern soulless stadiums....

Sad to say but I am the bitter old traditionalist in the relationship :cool:

Despises how the media think the sun shines constantly over Parkhead and Rangers are all bad. Despises Crocker, Walker, etc. For this reason he will not buy Sky Sports, BT Sports or any other pay sport service. He will watch Rangers games either by coming round to mine or via the iPad using my login details (with the sound off). If not on TV he will try to find links via the internet which really annoys him when he can’t find a stable stream.

Also hates referees, the fixture schedule, “that bastard song” - the Liverpool one, Lennon, the SFA..........

Back