Gerrard or Dalglish

Dbear 65

Was talking to a mentally challenged in work today who reckons Dalglish is more fondly remembered by reds fans than Gerrard. Hard one, especially what Dalglish did for the club after Hillsborough, more medals etc. My main argument was local boy, best of his generation, played in an inferior side which he basically carried, stayed when he could have gone to Chelsea for more money etc. Thoughts bears, want to destroy this poet on Monday!

There was a programme last year that counted them down. Dalglish was number 1 and Gerrard number 2. I think Souness was about 6 or something

Gerrard was a better player.

Dalglish fantastic as he was had the advantage of playing in one of the best club sides of all time.
A very good point mate, but I would still go for Dalglish.

Edit, I don’t know how to highlight a part of someone’s post:))

Looking online, most Liverpool sites seem to have Gerrard as their greatest ever player.

I can understand why, his trophies won belied the quality of the teams he played in.

I’m 40 and can only properly remember the tail end, player manager era Kenny Dalglish. So there’s an age bias inherent. It’s like the greatest ever Ranger, folk my age might say Greig or Jardine out of history and loyalty, but the players they grew up idolising where McCoist and Gough.
Gerrard for them is probably a little like Davie Cooper. A fantastic, iconic player playing in a team nowhere near their best historically.

Dalglish all day long. Won multiple leagues and multiple European Cups with Liverpool. Stevie would likely be a second place in all time favourites at Anfield.

Sorry mate but that’s nonsense, at his peak in the early 80’s Dalglish was up there with the best in the World, Gerrard was a great player but nowhere near KD.

No doubt Dalglish was a cracking player but he was surrounded by world class players at Liverpool and did very little on the international stage with Scotland.

Gerrard was in a relatively poor Liverpool side and almost single handedly dragged them to anything they achieved.

Would Dalglish have turned the CL final v AC the way Gerrard did? I doubt it.

Seen a documentary once and there was a part where Gerrard looks up at a picture of KD and says something like ‘and that’s the greatest ever up there’.

I love SG but if he’s saying it...

Was talking to a mentally challenged in work today who reckons Dalglish is more fondly remembered by reds fans than Gerrard. Hard one, especially what Dalglish did for the club after Hillsborough, more medals etc. My main argument was local boy, best of his generation, played in an inferior side which he basically carried, stayed when he could have gone to Chelsea for more money etc. Thoughts bears, want to destroy this poet on Monday!

Your first mistake was talking to, far less getting into an argument with, a puddle drinker in the first place.

Your second mistake is getting the argument wrong. One of them has won everything the club game has to offer, is esteemed as probably his country's greatest player, has won silverware as a manager, has a stand named after him and has a knighthood. SG cannot compete with Dalglish regarding esteem mate. Although he is still a young man...

Gerrard was a better player.

Dalglish fantastic as he was had the advantage of playing in one of the best club sides of all time.

They were only one of the best of all time because they had guys like him in it though mate. It’s not like Dalglish was being carried in that team.

Sorry mate but that’s nonsense, at his peak in the early 80’s Dalglish was up there with the best in the World, Gerrard was a great player but nowhere near KD.

Equally think this is a bit of an exaggeration too. SG could’ve played for just about any team in Europe at his peak. He’s a lot closer than what your suggesting imo.

Reactions: TQ3
No doubt Dalglish was a cracking player but he was surrounded by world class players at Liverpool and did very little on the international stage with Scotland.

Gerrard was in a relatively poor Liverpool side and almost single handedly dragged them to anything they achieved.

Those World Class Liverpool players to a man say Dalglish took them to a new level, he was what made a good team great,
And you can’t slate Dalglish’s international record without comparing it to Gerard’s who’s is utterly woeful, Dalglish is still Scotland’s equal record goalscorer.

I think Dalglish would win this one by a fair bit.
Comparing relative achievements, Gerrard would be way behind.

This conversation would never have arisen if your colleague wasn't so afraid of Gerrard

That’s a close call. In fact to close to call IMO.
Dalglish, for his playing days, being manager and how he handled and dealt with Hillsborough.
Gerard, local lad, supporter and inspirational captain who practically won them the champions league single handily against Milan.
Would love to know the outcome if a poll was carried out....Liverpool fans only.

Both amazing players but interestingly, Gerrard has more goals for Liverpool which for a midfielder is quite outstanding, especially in a league that has been far more competitive during Gerrards time here than when Dalglish was in it.

I am good mates with several Pool fans.
SG is one of their many legends.
Dalglish is a GOD to them.
Enough said.

Good thread Op which has generated lively debate but why were you talking to a mentally challenged?

These things are frowned upon here, staunch conversations only from this point.

Xabi Alonso, Fernando Torres, Luis Suarez.

Gerrard wasn’t exactly playing with diddies mate. Suarez almost single handedly took Liverpool to a title, it wasn’t really Gerrard.

I am good mates with several Pool fans.
SG is one of their many legends.
Dalglish is a GOD to them.
Enough said.

This is a fair summary. Let’s not try not to deny Dalglish’s position in Liverpool, his contribution as a player, manager and supporting families post Hillsborough is rightly considered as remarkable. The man is a genuine Liverpool legend and is respected as such. His involvement and empathy with the Hillsborough families still haunts him as far as I can see and I have huge respect for him on how he handled that. And still does.

Stevie G is respected as a great player and great captain for the club, they love him, but Dalglish is at another level. I’m sure Stevie G himself would say the same.

Think both are the first picks in any greatest Liverpool team ever. The one coming first will just depend on the age of the person asked. If they grew up with Dalgleish, it’s him. If they are younger, it’s Gerrard. There will be no real overlap of folk who can compare both on an equal footing. You always love the players best that you knew in your 20s and early 30s when you cared most and had the knowledge and time to care properly.

Give it 15 years though and Gerrard’s managerial record with them with dwarf Dalgleish’s :). After he’s won the Europa cup with us, of course.

Back