Rangers v Cambridge Utd closed doors Tuesday 16th July

Bonnyloyal

Due to a change in circumstances, Cambridge United’s pre-season fixture against Rangers next Tuesday (16th July) has now moved venue and will be played behind closed doors at Rangers’ Training Ground.

The game was originally scheduled to take place against a Rangers Development side at Largs and was available to watch for United supporters.

However, Rangers’ first team staff have since been in contact with the Club and have suggested fielding a stronger side including a number of senior players and requested the fixture be moved to their own training ground.

For the purpose of increasing the quality of the fixture and further strengthening United’s preparation for the 2019/20 season, the U’s have therefore accepted the request.

Cambridge United would like to apologise to any supporters who planned on making the trip for the fixture, and as an alternative Cambridge United Head Coach Colin Calderwood and his first team staff would like to offer the opportunity for U’s fans to watch an open training session at Largs, followed by the chance to meet the staff and players the following morning on Wednesday 17th July

Nice touch by Cambridge, not sure how many fans would follow them to Largs but a great gesture none the same

It is indeed. I doubt they'd have many up here following them but to invite them to training and a meet and greet as recompense for missing out on watching a game that was going to be against Rangers Development Squad is a great gesture.

Interesting also that we've asked for a tougher match. Could be just to aid fitness - but could we invite some Scouts along to watch our fringe players with a view to getting them out the door?

I would imagine a team similar to that which played Ayr last week with most of the surplus players getting a run out. Between Thursday and Sunday, most of the genuine first team contenders could get minutes

j5e2xu.jpg

Thought a few more of the players we are looking to move on might have played - Dorrans, Grezda etc

You'd imagine he will need to go through a full pre-season regime before being ready for a match. I don't think the Italian clubs are even back in training yet.
Bologna started back last Thursday. I'd imagine most of them will be in the early stages now. I think it will be a few weeks yet before we see Helander in action.

I read a stat that A Trialist has scored more goals than any other in the Scottish Leagues? Surely cannot be right!
Did trialists not used to be listed as AN Other or have I dreamt that up

I
I take it Jamie Barjonas after poor loan spells must be pleasing the management team given his appearance on Sunday. Good luck to the lad.heard he conducted himself brilliantly overy at Crusaders.
Think so too mate, I know it was a bit of a disaster at Bury but hopefully he secures a good loan move, I think Gerrard sees something in him but it will definitely be last chance saloon

Expected our team to be a lot stronger than that to warrant changing it to a closed doors game. It’s a youth team with Firth and Murphy basically. Strange!
I think we all read too much into it from Cambridge's tweet, we were probably sending 17 year olds to play them at Largs. Now we can get footage, analysis and sports science by playing at HTC on the next crop pushing for first team squad inclusion, Murphy getting more minutes is another plus

I take it Jamie Barjonas after poor loan spells must be pleasing the management team given his appearance on Sunday. Good luck to the lad.heard he conducted himself brilliantly overy at Crusaders.
I've been quite surprised by this one but he must be doing something right in training.

I thought he looked good when he first broke through at the end of the 16/17 season under Caixinha, but didn't seem to kick on from there.

These guys should get a run out and some European experience and leave the first team players for the weekend friendly

Agree 100% its much more beneficial for the first team lads to get 60 minutes plus V Blackburn than it is with all due respect too St Josephs get the fringe players and youngsters minutes on Thursday and a wee bit of Experience under the lights .

Could helander be one of the trialists? He’s subject to international clearance so perhaps this is a way around it and for the closed doors component?

Back