Roberto Donadoni on Filip Helander - "Rangers are one of the greatest names in football"

Bonnyloyal

Former AC Milan midfielder Roberto Donadoni thinks Filip Helander has all the qualities to be a huge hit in the Scottish Premiership.

The 55-year-old worked with the defender for two years at Bologna after signing him from Hellas Verona.

And it's fair to say the three time European Cup winner was impressed.

Speaking to the Sunday Post, he said: "I'm sure Filip will do very well in Scotland. Having been his coach for two seasons at Bologna, I can say without fear of contradiction that he is a truly exceptional boy.

"He is very serious about being a footballer, an exemplary professional who always aims to improve.

"Filip is one of theose players all coaches would like to have in their team. Certainly I would

"From a technical and tactical perspective, we are talking about a strong, tall, left-footed defender who is very good in central defence.

"Yet he also has the flexibility to play in any other position in the back-line.

"At 26, he is a good age because he has valuable experience - most especially with the Sweden national team - yet is still able to keep improving as a player.

"He is intelligent too, because he has used his natural advantages to be effective in the air.

"That allows him to dominate crosses in defence and be a threat at the other end of the pitch when the opportunity arises.

"I would be surprised if he didn't score a few goals in Scotland.

"What I like about Filip is his winning mentality. He is not afraid of confrontation at all. In fact, my experience is that he relishes that side of the game.

"When matches go that way, his qualities and his determination shine through. he never backs down.

"So I think he will be really well suited to the British game, which for me, can be more muscular than the football we see in some areas of Europe.

"From what I know of Scottish football, that will particularly be the case"

"Rangers are one of the greatest names in football.

"And as Filip's former coach, it will be really nice for me to see him wear the famous jersey and play in front of huge crowds in Glasgow.

"He is genuinly someone I really wish will have a successful career in front of him.

"This is a big move, every bit as significant as the one he took four years ago when first moving to Italy from his home in Sweden.

"It is one I think will work out well for both parties and i look forward to seeing him play for Rangers in the weeks and months ahead.

"Exactly how well they will do I do not know but as i say, I do believe anyone who picks on Filip for physical confrontation will only be playing into his hands."

Former AC Milan midfielder Roberto Donadoni thinks Filip Helander has all the qualities to be a huge hit in the Scottish Premiership.

The 55-year-old worked with the defender for two years at Bologna after signing him from Hellas Verona.

Speaking to the Sunday Post, he said: "I'm sure Filip will do very well in Scotland. Having been his coach for two seasons at Bologna, I can say without fear of contradiction that he is a truly exceptional boy.

"He is very serious about being a footballer, an exemplary professional who always aims to improve.

"Filip is one of theose players all coaches would like to have in their team. Certainly I would

"From a technical and tactical perspective, we are talking about a strong, tall, left-footed defender who is very good in central defence.

"Yet he also has the flexibility to play in any other position in the back-line.

"At 26, he is a good age because he has valuable experience - most especially with the Sweden national team - yet is still able to keep improving as a player.

"He is intelligent too, because he has used his natural advantages to be effective in the air.

"That allows him to dominate crosses in defence and be a threat at the other end of the pitch when the opportunity arises.

"What I like about Filip is his winning mentality. He is not afraid of confrontation at all. In fact, my experience is that he relishes that side of the game.

"When matches go that way, his qualities and his determination shine through. he never backs down.

"So I think he will be really well suited to the British game, which for me, can be more muscular than the football we see in some areas of Europe.

"And as Filip's former coach, it will be really nice for me to see him wear the famous jersey and play in front of huge crowds in Glasgow.

"He is genuinly someone I really wish will have a successful career in front of him.

"This is a big move, every bit as significant as the one he took four years ago when first moving to Italy from his home in Sweden.

"It is one I think will work out well for both parties and i look forward to seeing him play for Rangers in the weeks and months ahead.

"Exactly how well they will do I do not know but as i say, I do believe anyone who picks on Filip for physical confrontation will only be playing into his hands."

That makes me hard. Very very hard. Exactly what is required.

Shades of Panucci lauding Grezda?:eek:

Helander has all the attributes to be a quality signing for us. We’ve a -mostly - decent record with Scandinavians, with the odd exception, and he will have learnt a lot of the defensive ‘black arts’ in Italy.

giphy.gif

Lovely stuff! A recommendation from someone who actually knows and worked with the player, not just the opinion of randoms.

Very excited to see him play in a few weeks!

Nice words but Panucci said similar about Grezda. You

Nice words from a very good player. Good to hear him giving his thoughts on Helander as well - good to hear from people close to the player from his time at Bologna.

Nice words but Panucci said similar about Grezda. You
I guess there is always a risk that a player might not work out at a club. I don't think Grezda is a bad player - it's just not going to happen for him at Rangers. I guess the same could happen for Helander as well. He might not fit in regardless of how good he is. However, I very much hope he just turns out to be a belter of a signing.

Sounds like he has an exceptionally strong mentality and will be very well suited to the game in Scotland

Donadoni is the wisest man in football. Excellent to read positive remarks about our new player whilst promoting our glorious club at the same time. WATP

Signed up to a Bologna forum last night to ask a few questions expecting to hear great things and they were ripping him to shreds, absolutely baffled at the amount we paid. Took the wind out my sails a bit.

But Paddy McClafferty on Kerrydale says hes p1sh

Some of our own moronic fans said he is p1sh aswell

So who cares what Gattuso and Donadoni think :rolleyes:

You didn't though, did you?

Yes. What a strange thing it would be to lie about. I can give you the link to the thread if you want. I don't think I'm wrong to be pointing out the fact that the fans of the club he's been at for the past three years think he's mince.

Yes. What a strange thing it would be to lie about. I can give you the link to the thread if you want. I don't think I'm wrong to be pointing out the fact that the fans of the club he's been at for the past three years think he's mince.
Yet doing okay for a decent international side who, more often than not ,punch above their weight. .

Let's be honest here ,his pedigree is pretty good, let's just wait and see how he plays in a blue jersey.

I'm willing to go out on a limb and say he will be a key player for us next season .

The AC Milan fans would have said that about Brian Laudrup back in the day.

Reactions: TQ3
Signed up to a Bologna forum last night to ask a few questions expecting to hear great things and they were ripping him to shreds, absolutely baffled at the amount we paid. Took the wind out my sails a bit.
Football fans are notoriously petty when players leave their team though. "Uch he wasn't that good anyway". We see it on here when guys start acting like jilted teenage lassies over ex players. I wouldn't concern myself too much with what anyone says about him, good or bad. It's about what he does in a Rangers jersey and having watched him play numerous times I'm confident he'll be a great signing.

Put it this way - come on here after a Rangers player departs for pastures new. Let's say Goldson, or Murphy for example- or even Tav or Morelos - and you will read a whole heap of criticism. Hell, you read it now when they are still with us.

I wouldn't use his former team's fan forum as a barometer of how good/bad he is. When you go out the door you were shite, regardless if its true or not.

Maybe look back on that same forum to posts from earlier in the season when he was, by all accounts, playing very well and was a regular starter.

Back