NUFC fans boycotting St James’s

I highly doubt Newcastle fans will be able to move him out as match going fans just aren't that great a source of income in that league - he, they and others ie previous owners of Villa and Sunderland show a serious flaw in the English system.

A league so awash with cash shouldn't be affording as much control as it is to individuals.

I understand that point, but it's not an argument I can accept. Had Rangers had the TV money and he still had his hands round our throat, yes it would have been more difficult but we would have driven him out, of that I have no doubt
Boycotts don't work against Billionaires, we were fortunate that we had people willing to buy shares and vote them out. Newcastle is a different proposition altogether as he owns all the shares and the fans can't buy them.
They have two choices, don't go and see the team they love or give the Club season ticket money.
What people on here are conveniently ignoring is that some of them have went to Newcastle to see Chelsea etc and funded this guy.

Too little to late
You can’t suckle on the devils teat only when it suits you. They’ve had this before, matches, boycotts etc
Ashley knows they’ll flock back

5 or 6000 ST holders not renewing is a significant number but nowhere near enough to bring change. What on earth are the rest thinking?

We've had Ashley strangle us and chased him away by the time they've done the square root of %^*& all up until now, It may seem harsh but we can only reflect back on 1st hand experiences of Ashley as a fan. A lot of it is just shaking heads at the Newcastle fans rather than deep rooted negativity. You can't raise a fight in other people, they need to do it themselves

We haven't chased him away and he is still strangling us. We aren't selling strips out the back of a pub because it's the optimum retail strategy for a multi million pound business.

It will be very difficult for Ashley to sell the club as he will want to keep the retail deal, and any new owners will not want him anywhere near the club

Given the problems his SD empire is having after yesterdays accounts delay and the 10% decrease in share value, the pressure put on by the Newcastle fans might just force him to bale out and sell.

there is nothing to buy thats the problem , didn't he have 150 licenses for image rights for anything branded by Rangers he will have done the same at newcastle the only thing for sale is the stadium and the debts and players contracts ........ ashley will own everything that makes money for nothing

My guess is there will still be a sizeable crowd at the first game and they are only down 6.5k season ticket sales from the same point last year so I expect they will pick up a bit over the next month or so as the season approaches. He still be laughing all the way to the bank but I suppose its gotta start somewhere.

5 or 6000 ST holders not renewing is a significant number but nowhere near enough to bring change. What on earth are the rest thinking?

its £4 million thats all ...... they need 42,000 to boycott for a visual effect to have any regime change

We haven't chased him away and he is still strangling us. We aren't selling strips out the back of a pub because it's the optimum retail strategy for a multi million pound business.
We are not selling strips out 'the back of a pub', we are selling strips from the nearest place to the Stadium where we could get a Pop Up shop, same as most of the big European Clubs.
Hopefully be back in our own premises soon, but until that happens at least our fans can buy their strips at the Stadium.

I'm not going to batter into the Newcastle fans on this one.

In fact, I'd like to say that I wish them the very best with this campaign.

We should remember that we had a small group of fans who saw right through Minty from early on in his tenure (I openly admit I wasn't one of them) and they proved to be bang on about the chancer, whilst most of us were just happy to count the trophies.

In addition, the boycott campaign with us against the spivs took a little bit of time to get going, but then really took hold. The other thing is that the fat bastard is quite a different proposition from ousting old Chuck and his spivvy wig mates. Fatso's big greedy lips sucking at the financial teat of your club isn't quite so easy to prise off, as we are currently finding out ourselves in the courts.

So, I'd just like to wish Newcastle fans all the best and encourage all of them to get behind their boycott, not just ST's but every single store that fat bastard has anything to do with

Boycotts don't work against Billionaires, we were fortunate that we had people willing to buy shares and vote them out. Newcastle is a different proposition altogether as he owns all the shares and the fans can't buy them.
They have two choices, don't go and see the team they love or give the Club season ticket money.
What people on here are conveniently ignoring is that some of them have went to Newcastle to see Chelsea etc and funded this guy.
Your right Ashley won't care what the fans say or do,hes in a position of complete power over the club and their merchandise,,their best hope is that he sells the club but I'll bet he still will hang on to any merchandise deal

Its a start but its going to take a collective boycott of games, merch, and buying his cheap shite tat.
That or perhaps an ill timed fatal illness for the fat leech.

QUOTE="Tugay83, post: 3941801, member: 6979"]We haven't chased him away and he is still strangling us. We aren't selling strips out the back of a pub because it's the optimum retail strategy for a multi million pound business.[/QUOTE]
The difference is the fight in Rangers fans had already been raised

Its a start but its going to take a collective boycott of games, merch, and buying his cheap shite tat.
That or perhaps an ill timed fatal illness for the fat leech.
He gets £160 million or so from TV, unlimited PR for SD, and has just sold a player for £30 million, got a cheap manager in. He is going nowhere.

I think people are a little bit misinformed in terms of what has happened in previous years, I have said before I have been part of protests at Newcastle against Ashley and I brought a few boys up the night of the Hearts game.

I can't remember what game it was , but round about 9 years ago there was a big protest outside the ground, trying to educate other fans about what Ashley was up to, I'd estimate a good 3-5k took part in it and it wasn't the friendliest of protests either, I have been to a few others where boycotts are mentioned, late entry etc however and this is a fact and one which is often overlooked, but when the serious protests started Llambias held a meeting (in a boozer) with a couple of supporters reps, 1 of whom I know well, and he said and ill quote as close to as possible

"boycotting doesn't matter, ticket sales account for such a low percentage we just trim the wage budget a bit and live off the TV money" - this was before the recent boom aswell.

No mention of Commercial activity, which I think the majority realize Newcastle make next to nothing on.

So he was basically saying, Boycott, doesn't bother us.

Now Newcastle is a unique City in footballing terms - The match on a Saturday or Sunday is what the whole week leads up to, work-family all revolve around the match, it is ingrained from Grandfather to Father to Son to Grandson and it was always going to take for the majority to give up what has been a lifetime ritual but gradually they are, although the majority probably realize it won't make much difference.

I know my missus old man has this year gave up his box at Newcastle through his company, and hasn't renewed his season ticket (another point, not a lot know is that Ashley did a deal a decade ago for 5 year or 10 year season tickets, locking fans in who took it up and a lot did take it up)

I really don't know what will happen with Newcastle, I can't see a buyer taking it over when he has scuppered any chance of expansion of the stadium, has god knows what tied up for x amount of years and wants the £130m+ loans paid back, the TV money renders the fans input in terms of boycotts pretty useless then you add in the vindictiveness, he is the sort who would let them go the way of Blackpool and the Oystons.

I think people are a little bit misinformed in terms of what has happened in previous years, I have said before I have been part of protests at Newcastle against Ashley and I brought a few boys up the night of the Hearts game.

I can't remember what game it was , but round about 9 years ago there was a big protest outside the ground, trying to educate other fans about what Ashley was up to, I'd estimate a good 3-5k took part in it and it wasn't the friendliest of protests either, I have been to a few others where boycotts are mentioned, late entry etc however and this is a fact and one which is often overlooked, but when the serious protests started Llambias held a meeting (in a boozer) with a couple of supporters reps, 1 of whom I know well, and he said and ill quote as close to as possible

"boycotting doesn't matter, ticket sales account for such a low percentage we just trim the wage budget a bit and live off the TV money" - this was before the recent boom aswell.

No mention of Commercial activity, which I think the majority realize Newcastle make next to nothing on.

So he was basically saying, Boycott, doesn't bother us.

Now Newcastle is a unique place in footballing terms - The match on a Saturday or Sunday is what the whole week leads up to, work-family all revolve around the match, it is ingrained from Grandfather to Father to Son to Grandson and it was always going to take for the majority to give up what has been a lifetime ritual but gradually they are, although the majority probably realize it won't make much difference.

I know my missus old man has this year gave up his box at Newcastle through his company, and hasn't renewed his season ticket (another point, not a lot know is that Ashley did a deal a decade ago for 5 year or 10 year season tickets, locking fans in who took it up and a lot did take it up)

I really don't know what will happen with Newcastle, I can't see a buyer taking it over when he has scuppered any chance of expansion of the stadium, has god knows what tied up for x amount of years and wants the £130m+ loans paid back, the TV money renders the fans input in terms of boycotts pretty useless then you add in the vindictiveness, he is the sort who would let them go the way of Blackpool and the Oystons.
That was my point, Boycotts are futile when they are not depending on the money to finance the Club. With the best will in the world, Newcastle fans have no rel expectations of winning a major trophy and maybe not happy about it but as long as their team are doing reasonable well will continue to support their team and fair play to them

Wont do them any good. They get that much TV money that the impact of a half full stadium is negligible.

I disagree.

I get where you are coming from regards TV monies.

But if there are vast swathes of empty seats all around the ground it sends out a message.

And if the Newcastle fans desert in droves, it drives down how much he might be able to demand for them.

That was my point, Boycotts are futile when they are not depending on the money to finance the Club. With the best will in the world, Newcastle fans have no rel expectations of winning a major trophy and maybe not happy about it but as long as their team are doing reasonable well will continue to support their team and fair play to them

But surely a football fan has to have dreams?

Some might be OTT, some might even be preposterous, but surely part of being a football fan is having dreams for his club?

That fat rat has even taken that away from Newcastle fans. Their hopes and dreams.

Some of the comments here are harsh, they are starting to turn and it has taken them longer than maybe it should - but I remember the early attempts to arrange boycotts etc on here being met with posts of “I haven’t missed a game in 30 years” etc and we shouldn’t forget the total failure to boycott scumdee utd. It takes time to get the message through to people and I for one wish them well in getting rid of the fat cancerous bastard.
Correct mate their fans have to come together to get rid of this corrosive whanker.
we can't even stop ALL our fans using SD.
I also think that they should look to the other clubs fans for help, they have various associations and maybe every club getting together could help stop the likes of him, Royston and the last Bolton group at least staying in charge for so long.
Good luck Geordies

is tv and sponsorship money not that high in England that a complete 100% boycott on ticket sales wouldn't even make a dent in a club losses?

I disagree.

I get where you are coming from regards TV monies.

But if there are vast swathes of empty seats all around the ground it sends out a message.

And if the Newcastle fans desert in droves, it drives down how much he might be able to demand for them.

He would probably just stick Sports Direct banners up to cover the empty seats.

The effect of a boycott may be minimal in financial terms but 1) it’s the only option for disgruntled fans 2) empty seats at Newcastle will be commented upon in the media and can’t be good news for Ashley, which is nice

Nevertheless, it's got to start somewhere for them.

This cuunt thrives on money and hit him where it can do him damage from any type of sale at their club.
Better late than never,here’s hoping their actions gather momentum.

If there's anyone that can hurt that fat scumbag it's us and Newcastle fans. Unfortunately both of us are going about it the wrong way. For what it's worth I have no idea either

Fat parasitic bastard still sucking the life blood from two of the country’s biggest football institutions. Both supports could and should have done much much more to have him forcibly removed from the game for good. Sadly for Newcastle it’s quite evident the geordies are even more apathetic than us and their club looks set to suffer financially for years to come as that piece of human escrement continues to milk them dry.

The toon army are really up against it here. Fatso will never sell and continue to run their club like a branch of SD. The fans will likely also be at each others throats whilst pie man sits and chortles.

Well done and good luck to them. Boycotting games is a very tough decision.

For those saying it’s pointless if you still buy strips, use SD, etc. Look at where we currently with MA - it hasn’t really changed that much in his position.

Newcastle fans taking this step should be applauded and hopefully we can make some joint action.

I like Newcastle fans like us only loyal to one club and hate Ashley too. But for there own good I hope they go the way of Sunderland and be made to start again. The sooner folk realise the likes of Ashley is sucking the game dry.

Plus last I heard hiring Steve fucking Bruce and not doing enough to keep Rafa benitez is diabolical talk about a major comedown.

When Stevie G goes to bigger things with our blessings it like us going for Steven Robinson from Motherwell.

I like Newcastle fans like us only loyal to one club and hate Ashley too. But for there own good I hope they go the way of Sunderland and be made to start again. The sooner folk realise the likes of Ashley is sucking the game dry.

Plus last I heard hiring Steve fucking Bruce and not doing enough to keep Rafa benitez is diabolical talk about a major comedown.

When Stevie G goes to bigger things with our blessings it like us going for Steven Robinson from Motherwell.

I am convinced it is a move to annoy the fan base.

It would be like us going for Tony Mowbary.

Bruce is in a no win except financially, I won't admit it to the missus family but I have piled in big on 9/2 for Newcastle to get relegated.

We are not selling strips out 'the back of a pub', we are selling strips from the nearest place to the Stadium where we could get a Pop Up shop, same as most of the big European Clubs.
Hopefully be back in our own premises soon, but until that happens at least our fans can buy their strips at the Stadium.

Most of the big European clubs don't have massive club shops right outside the stadium that are being boycotted by the fans. The situation with Ashley and the megastore is the only reason we have opened up the shop at the Louden.

I am convinced it is a move to annoy the fan base.

It would be like us going for Tony Mowbary.

Bruce is in a no win except financially, I won't admit it to the missus family but I have piled in big on 9/2 for Newcastle to get relegated.

You get 10/1 if you couple it with a Rangers to win the league bet

Crowd boycotts only have a visual benefit, not a financial benefit at Newcastle. I think even Ashley would be embarrassed with a 10k crowd ( though he would probably give the tickets away, foc).
We should remember than even when we were at war with spivs, we had crowds of 35k. I still believe that the AGM, where Somers treated us like misbehaving schoolchildren, had more of an influence because major shareholders sold to King and T3B.

It is a start I guess - however, you just know other Newcastle fans will make it up for him. They've genuinely done themselves no favours.

He has reached a stage in life where he gets pleasure in other people's misery. Whenever he gets linked to anything then it means thousands of working class people are about to suffer due to his greed.

Crowd boycotts only have a visual benefit, not a financial benefit at Newcastle. I think even Ashley would be embarrassed with a 10k crowd ( though he would probably give the tickets away, foc).
We should remember than even when we were at war with spivs, we had crowds of 35k. I still believe that the AGM, where Somers treated us like misbehaving schoolchildren, had more of an influence because major shareholders sold to King and T3B.

I think with us it all went with the Laxey (IIRC) shareholding and Ashley and co being too comfortable thinking and believing King was all mouth.

It hit them like a bolt out of the blue when he suddenly has 12-14% of shares when they thought he wouldn't buy any.

The guys I brought up from Newcastle at the Hearts game said we were lucky that financially we could put pressure on, but the krux of the matter was if he got the Stadium and Training ground as security he would have used that as a blackmailing tool against the fans.

Just thankful for King and the 3 bears tbh.

EDIT IT WAS Artemis and Miton he bought from

Newcastle will get a decent crowd quite often simply by location.

it's the ideal access point for Scottish fans who want to see an EPL game - Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U fans based in Scotland wanting to get to a game.

You chuck in people wanting to see high profile teams like that then Spurs, City Chelsea you are getting to half your games with a decent attendance even if "home" fans don't turn up.

Thrown in stag party's on a lads day out in Newcastle etc.

I doubt their attendance would ever regularly be utterly shite.

Bigger things?

Back