Andy Gray - “I’m not a fan of Morelos. He’s unreliable in big games"

Bonnyloyal

Andy Gray has spent the last year monitoring Steven Gerrard’s Rangers revival from more than 4500 miles away.

So he probably didn’t need to be at Ibrox in person on Sunday to identify the biggest single problem lurking inside the Scouser’s dressing room.

But what Gray saw during a 
surprisingly one-sided romp over Marseille merely convinced him of what he has suspected all of this time.

That the conundrum that is Alfredo Morelos may well be more bother than he’s worth.

The highly valued, yet notoriously combustible Colombian lasted 45 minutes of his side’s pre-season win at the weekend, failing to hit the target but getting himself involved in a minor feud with man-marker Luis Gustavo nonetheless before being replaced by Jermain Defoe at half-time.

Gray has seen it all before, although usually from the comfort of a TV studio somewhere in Doha

And now, with Crystal Palace and West Ham believed to be showing tentative interest in the prolific South American, pretty soon Gerrard may have a multi-million pound decision on his hands. Or at least Gray certainly appears to hope so.

Speaking exclusively to Record Sport yesterday the veteran pundit and Rangers diehard said: “I’m not a fan of Morelos. He’s unreliable in big games. He’s not done enough against the likes of Celtic – he hasn’t even scored against them yet.

“So I’m not a big fan at all but I do understand Steven has got a guy here who scored more than 30 goals last season.

“If it was as simple as replacing him with another guy who will score 30 plus next season then I’d definitely get rid. If someone comes in for him with £15m then Rangers would be foolish not to sell him and try to use the money to bring in that replacement.

“Or, if you could tell me Jermain is going to be fit for the whole season, I would say, ‘Sell Morelos, get the money in and make the group better’.

“But you have to remember there’s 30 goals to replace if he’s sold and it’s Steven’s job to balance that. If he feels he can get those goals from other areas then he’ll be tempted to sell.

“Put it this way, when Morelos was suspended at the end of last season he wasn’t missed that much. It was good for the other boys not to have to be so reliant on him.

“Yes, he does well but if he’s going to cost us as much as he gives us then it leaves Steven with a big decision to make. If nobody wants to pay the money then fine. He’ll have to contribute this season and hopefully he’ll have learned from his mistakes but I’m not so sure.

“Steven has to balance it up and as a manager he can’t make his decisions based on emotion. As a player you live half your life on emotions.

“But as a coach you need to make more rational decisions.

“If it was me being all emotional I’d punt him tomorrow and say, ‘Thanks very much, see you later’.

“But that might not be the best solution for Rangers right now. Stevie has to do what’s right for Rangers.

“I’ve played under coaches who didn’t like certain guys inside the dressing room but they still played them because they were important to the team. So you have to put personal feelings to one side.

“But Steven would admit he let him off a little too lightly last year. If Morelos stays and he still gives the manager problems again then I would expect Steven to really clamp down on him. Big time.”

But while Morelos remains the one major unresolved issue on Gerrard’s summer to do list, Gray believes 
the manager is fairly motoring through the rest of the remedial work left over from his first season in the Ibrox hotseat.

Gerrard undeniably dragged Rangers closer to Celtic in his first campaign. But losing the title by nine points was still not quite close enough for Gray’s liking.

However, he left Govan at the weekend with a spring in his step

Gray went on: “I was very pleased with what I saw. I had phoned Gary McAllister and told him I was coming up so he sorted me out with tickets and then after the match I went to see Steven and have a chat with him.

“I thought we looked very good. They played some of the new boys I hadn’t seen before and I was impressed 
by all of them. I thought it was a solid performance. Defensively we looked alright, although we were never troubled by Marseille who
were awful.

“I don’t think Steven will be
fooled by what was a comfortable victory – it could have been seven or eight – but I expected a lot more from Marseille. They looked like they are about 10 days behind us pre-season training wise.

“But that apart, Rangers kept the ball well, they used it well. We didn’t over pass it either. When we had the chance to get forward and release people we did.

“The second goal was typical of that with a great ball from Ryan Jack and a terrific finish from Daniel Candeias. That was really good football and there was quite a lot of examples of it during the match

“As I say I’m not a Morelos fan and he didn’t do much in the first half to change my opinion.

“Defoe looked much more dangerous when he came on – he’s a predator inside the six-yard box as he showed at his goal. Rangers look better when he is in the team.

“Ojo came on and showed what he can do in flashes. The kid Aribo in midfield looks like a good player, comfortable on the ball.

“And the centre-back, George Edmundson, settled in quite nicely next to Connor Goldson even though he wasn’t up against anything.

“With the new centre-back from Bologna to come in I think we are very well covered, especially when you consider Scott Arfield and one or two others are still to come into the side.

“We are in a much better place than this time last year. Much better.

On balance I think I prefer our ex players to be men with standards and individual opinions than pathetic mouthpieces for some tinpot tyrant like Liewell.

Gray’s comments are statements of the obvious about Morelos and pretty much what any bear over 25 concluded after the Old Firm games.

The buying club - I hope there is one - wouldn’t change their mind based on a few nice words from Bob Malcom in the Evening Times. Not when they have scouts and videos

He calls rangers "us", he goes on about Morelos ability in front of goals, he talks of his 30 goals last season, he talks about his temperament and he says he's a manager's tough decisions around him. He then talks up the team and set up and the club. Don't see much wrong in this. Would we prefer the tim approach we slag on here of inflated transfers and propaganda?

He calls rangers "us", he goes on about Morelos ability in front of goals, he talks of his 30 goals last season, he talks about his temperament and he says he's a manager's tough decisions around him. He then talks up the team and set up and the club. Don't see much wrong in this. Would we prefer the tim approach we slag on here of inflated transfers and propaganda?

It surprises me that so many of our support think a number of our ex players are the problem and not the media who consistently take positive interviews and find one comment or snippet and create a negative slant.

It surprises me that so many of our support think a number of our ex players are the problem and not the media who consistently take positive interviews and find one comment or snippet and create a negative slant.

You can’t really get much more negative than saying ‘I’m not a fan of Morelos’ repeatedly in the one interview!

No goals, loads of sitters and a red against Celtic clearly counts against him. That said there’s been a couple of games he’s really ran them ragged.

A centre forward that plays in Scotland for Rangers, that is prolific, can score with both feet and his head, runs defences ragged, has great positional sense, is skilful, powerful, has good link up play, is breaking onto the international scene and is only 23.

Yeah, I’m not sure about him either Andy.

Gray's all over the papers this morning talking us up and saying how good we look and praising the new signings.

He lavishes praise on us for years and is one of the few in the media who is emphatic and doesn't apologise for how much of a bear he is.

Some folk just won't countenance any criticism of Morelos - a guy who btw has said numerous times he wants to go and play elsewhere.

Morelos is a fantastic talent, if he wants to stay and cut out the nonsense I'll be delighted but there's really nothing wrong with what Gray is pointing out here.

No one player is bigger than the club.

A centre forward that plays in Scotland for Rangers, that is prolific, can score with both feet and his head, runs defences ragged, has great positional sense, is skilful, powerful, has good link up play, is breaking onto the international scene and is only 23.

Yeah, I’m not sure about him either Andy.
AG said all of the above.
He also mentioned he has to behave and score against the scum.
Don't see what is wrong with that.

On balance I think I prefer our ex players to be men with standards and individual opinions than pathetic mouthpieces for some tinpot tyrant like Liewell.

Gray’s comments are statements of the obvious about Morelos and pretty much what any bear over 25 concluded after the Old Firm games.

The buying club - I hope there is one - wouldn’t change their mind based on a few nice words from Bob Malcom in the Evening Times. Not when they have scouts and videos
Abso-fuukin-lately. Lying sums the mentally challengeds up and to be fair, Andy’s comments are tame compared to some on here about Alfie.

I like Andy Gray, he's never slow to nail his colours to the mast. Disagree with him here but he's entitled to his opinion.

Kinda torn cause he is partly right and you want honesty and fact from our own. On the other hand if Morelos played for the jakeys across the city he would be a 100m rated player thats misunderstood from their ex players.
Cant have it both ways, the truth lies somewhere in the middle where Morelos is concerned.
He was targeted because everyone knows what he can do. Shite decisions by refs in games gave him a bad reputation but he hasnt helped that either when he should walk away from certain sitations, or hit the deck.
He will still be a top talent and a Colombian regular and we should be asking for 20m for him given the figures banded about for some regular players.

Last edited:
The truth here is that Gray is pretty close to being 100% correct here.
I just wish I didn’t have to read it.
Fact is Gray would probably rather have a different opinion as well.
One thing that is an absolute definite is that Andy Gray is as much a Rangers supporter as any poster on here.

Hes a big Rangers fan and thats his view from watching the games, you do worry that the player will do something crazy in a big game... so fair enough.

But i find it difficult to understand why we are comfortable talking about alfie and his discipline issues but scared to speak about the officials that target him and the club. This is much more of a problem for us if he leaves it will just be someone else in blue.

Andy Gray is no idiot he knows football and he will have noticed exactly what has been happening with Scotlands refs during the time AM has been here.

Devil is in the detail in that piece. Managers playing players they don't really like as it's good for the team? AM can do better in the games that count and we all agree on that. He's got massive potential to be a superstar and he just simply needs to screw the nut.

Unreliable in terms of his discipline then yes clearly.

In a footballing sense then clearly not. 30 goals including in Europe and pretty much every team bar the rattlers is as far away from unreliable as you can get

He's not saying anything that the whole UK footballing community doesn't know....and think.......it's up to Morelos to prove these people wrong given the chance.
I personally don't trust him, even more so now after that display at the weekend in a Sunday afternoon friendly that we're cruising in FFS!! Embarrassing!

He is right in saying that Alfie needs to screw the nut.

As for not scoring in big games, he scored against every team bar the puddle drinkers.

Red cards v Dolly & Them at Stade des Secrets were his downfall last season

I love Morelos as a player and want him to stay. He's far and away our best forward, but there's more than a grain of truth in what Andy Gray has said.
The real problem though is that had his opinion been different he wouldn't be quoted in that paper.

Surprised at the reaction on here. No one hates the Scottish media more than me but the article is spot on.
Was raging on Sunday when I saw Morelos reacting to the Marseille player, doesn't bode well at all, FFS we need to make a serious challenge on all fronts and we need 11 men on the park.
My thoughts are we are a better side without Morelos and Defoe is a better finisher.
I'd be pleased to see us get a good fee for him.

Telling the truth isn’t a let down.
It’s the truth that’s the let down.

The actual let down is celtic ex players talking their current players up no matter what while ours do the opposite.

The idea of hartson, sutton or McNamara saying this about a celtic 30 goals a season strikers is unthinkable.

Wasn't that long ago, Derek Ferguson sat on BBC saying he was worth £6M at most, Kevin Kyle had him at £4M not too long before that.

I agree with that, but the agenda against Morelos - to drive him out of Scottish football at a cut price fee - is something all Rangers minded pundits should be aware of by now.

Gray may not be saying anything we haven’t already said ourselves, but his frankness in print does no favours for the player or the club in terms of reinforcing the negative perception of both.

Where are the ex Yahoos proclaiming Tierney is a crock that Celtic would be lucky to get £10m for?

Our ex-players are absolutely thick when it comes to discussing our current team. They do the mentally challengeds job for them.
Totally agree,why do they do this,look at the way they bum up Tierney,ours should be doing the the same with Morelos.

I think the key difference is that Celtic minded journalists ask Celtic stooges questions which are 'on message'. Our lot seem to be more honest and have stories twisted to suit a negative agenda.

Re Morelos, he has a point and its been well discussed on here. Even on Sunday in a meaningless friendly, he threw his arm in the air and berated the ref after a decision went against him. He could have easily seen yellow for that gesture in a competitive game. He needs to totally cut that out of his game

Oh, and I dont think he looks fit at the moment - he's not putting in the effort to get an extra 10% out of himself that would get him the move he wants

The truth here is that Gray is pretty close to being 100% correct here.
I just wish I didn’t have to read it.
Fact is Gray would probably rather have a different opinion as well.
One thing that is an absolute definite is that Andy Gray is as much a Rangers supporter as any poster on here.
This is it in a nutshell.

I’d rather have honest opinions from bears in the press rather than the embarrassing happy clapping you get from that other lots media cheerleaders like Tom Boyd etc.

Gray’s given a largely positive interview here but, surprise, surprise, the two elements the press are running with are ‘Morelos unreliable says ex Rangers striker ’ and ‘we’ll win the league states arrogant Gerrard’. Let’s be honest, no matter what he said it would’ve been twisted to suit.

Ex Rangers players always feel the need to talk about the negative.

He's not even scored a goal against celtic...

If that's all you can take from Morelos then your opinion is worthless. FF would be crying their eyes out of this was some Scottish journalist or Chris Sutton making the same comments.

Morelos is a very good player , who may go on to be a great player.
The fact is though, he is useless sitting in the stands when suspended.
I think he will be with us for one more season, where he has to keep up his level of play, but learn to contain his temper- keeping himself on the pitch, before he will attract any serious big money offers.

Ex Rangers players always feel the need to talk about the negative.

He's not even scored a goal against celtic...

If that's all you can take from Morelos then your opinion is worthless. FF would be crying their eyes out of this was some Scottish journalist or Chris Sutton making the same comments.
Also any Rangers supporter who 'isn't a fan of Morelos' is a total numpty to be quite honest.

As much as I hate to say it he has point, Alfie has let us down too much,he doesn't get sent off against the scum we could have very well beat them that day?
As for not scoring against them? why does it make you a bad you a bad player?..He has been very unlucky ,he crashed a fantastic header off the post,he just missed not scoring against them a couple of times, on another day they go in, IMO he has been unlucky not to score against them.
But Andy is correct we get a decent bid take it!!

I agree with you, at the game on Sunday Alfredo nearly lost it at one point but reeled himself back in and at the time I thought if that was a league game the Scottish refs would have been all over it.

I don’t see anything up with that at all he’s just giving his OPINION on Morelos. He doesn’t deny Morelos bangs in a lot of goals it’s just the fact he can be a liability. He says if it was up to him he would punt him but he does admit that might not be the best thing for Rangers though. So even though he says he isn’t a fan of Morelos he still sees what he can bring to the team.

Given the option I think a lot of supporters would sell Morelos, for the right price, if you could guarantee that Defoe would be fit for the whole season.
Andy is speaking as a fan; how many times does he say we in that interview. Apart from his comments on Morelos he spends the rest of the interview talking us up.

Do people honestly think an interview that Andy Gray gives to the Daily Record is going to affect his valuation?

I agree with that, but the agenda against Morelos - to drive him out of Scottish football at a cut price fee - is something all Rangers minded pundits should be aware of by now.

Gray may not be saying anything we haven’t already said ourselves, but his frankness in print does no favours for the player or the club in terms of reinforcing the negative perception of both.

Where are the ex Yahoos proclaiming Tierney is a crock that Celtic would be lucky to get £10m for?

With respect, if you’re still saying that then I’m not sure we really do agree. If Tierney is a long term crock, then his transfer fee will reflect it because of due diligence, not Tom Boyd being interviewed on Radio Clyde!

Gray has given his opinion (which I happen to agree with) and I contend it won’t make one iota of difference to the fee.

I think we tend to forget about the audience that Celtic spin machine is targeted at. Their fans and other Scottish clubs namely us. An objective might be to create an atmosphere which inflates a player’s value but the primary reason is to make the fans feel they are top dogs, managing the club impeccably, turning water into wine, and for us to feel intimidated.

It’s what the Nazis did. Riefenstahl’s propaganda films were to intimidate opponents about their vast mechanised army. In truth they started the war with far more horses than tanks. The objective was to undermine resistance so they could roll over countries without their weakness ever being tested and exposed.

Back