Arsenal Signing Targets

Skyy Bluenose

Julien Laurent, Guardian football journalist, based in London, reporting for ESPN in U.S. Was just interviewed on US TV on Arsenal's signing targets. He immediately mentioned their small budget, then named 6 players they'd be interested in getting in this window.

Any guesses who he didn't mention?

Reported to be limited to around 50m and we're supposed to believe half of it is for an injured full back from Scotland? I'm going with bullshit.

Scottish media at their finest. I'm sure Hartson and Guidi will be doubling down on their efforts tomorrow on Tierney's value.

Julien Laurent, Guardian football journalist, based in London, reporting for ESPN in U.S. Was just interviewed on US TV on Arsenal's signing targets. He immediately mentioned their small budget, then named 6 players they'd be interested in getting in this window.

Reported to be limited to around 50m and we're supposed to believe half of it is for an injured full back from Scotland? I'm going with bullshit.

Scottish media at their finest. I'm sure Hartson and Guidi will be doubling down on their efforts tomorrow on Tierney's value.

If Arsenal blew a huge chunk of their budget on an absolute no mark the fans will riot.

If Arsenal where not interest in him.at all then they would quickly deny the stories.

These stories are being written from outside the Scottish bubble.

So let me get this straight - The Scottish press have said Arsenal have had two bids knocked back by Celtic and most on this thread don’t believe that has happened?

Surely to %^*& if that was the actual case then Arsenal would have something to say about that? Am I being extremely naive?

So let me get this straight - The Scottish press have said Arsenal have had two bids knocked back by Celtic and most on this thread don’t believe that has happened?

Surely to %^*& if that was the actual case then Arsenal would have something to say about that? Am I being extremely naive?
Having an interest is one thing but upping their clubs valuation from £15 million to £25 million is a bit much for me to believe if Arsenal are on a tight budget in EPL terms .

Headlines: Crackpot says Arsenal want to spend 25 Million on crock, plot.

Last edited:

I for one don't believe a word of it. Maybe Arsenal don't want to give celtic any credence. If Arsenal came out and denied it would it make any difference? Clubs do that all the time. In fact if Arsenal came out and denied it, I'd probably have more belief that there was something in it.

Somethings very strange about it that’s for sure

Most of the noises coming out of separate entity

I think the bloke who said he’d eat his own fromunda cheese is pretty safe based on what I’ve heard :D

Been saying the same thing for weeks, why would any club want to spend 25 million on a player who spent almost all of the previous season injured, who has broken down every time he’s tried to come back from that injury, hasn’t been able to do a pre-season due to injury and is currently injured?

It makes no sense, and if Arsenal are seriously interested they must be off their heads.

I just had a very quick look at the Tierney threads on a few Arsenal forums. Unbelievably they are desperate to sign the guy and are severely critical of their Board for haggling over a ‘paltry’ £25m. They want them just to get on with it. Even when his injury record is pointed out they just swat it aside and demand the club sign him.

The better news is that the Mods on one of the forums have been busy banning Dhims who’ve signed up and are busy telling the Gooners they are a tinpot club and Tierney ‘deserves better’. F*cking crackpots the lot of them.

There’s no suggestion down there that the rumours have no substance unfortunately.

They seem to have spent the last few years “building his value” in the press. The worst thing that could happen from their point of view is someone calling their bluff and placing a bid that they would have to accept. Assuming he fails a medical then his supposed value will fall quicker than O’Donnell in the penalty box.

I just had a very quick look at the Tierney threads on a few Arsenal forums. Unbelievably they are desperate to sign the guy and are severely critical of their Board for haggling over a ‘paltry’ £25m. They want them just to get on with it. Even when his injury record is pointed out they just swat it aside and demand the club sign him.

The better news is that the Mods on one of the forums have been busy banning Dhims who’ve signed up and are busy telling the Gooners they are a tinpot club and Tierney ‘deserves better’. F*cking crackpots the lot of them.

There’s no suggestion down there that the rumours have no substance unfortunately.

Yeah its the same on Twitter, their fans are convinced he’s going to be their version of Andy Robertson.

I work with 2 big Arsenal fans who are based in Glasgow. Neither of them have any preference for either half of the OF so are completely neutral although both know a fair bit about Scottish football being based here.

Both of them are genuinely astonished that Arsenal are after Tierney given his injury record and reliability. They were just about accepting the initial £15m being reported but can’t see under any circumstances the follow up figures being quoted as true.

Who were the signing targets incidentally?

Im afraid it seems folk are clutching at straws on this one. Arsenal's own go to journalist is David Ornstein of the BBC, and he confirmed the bids & Arsenal's belief that a deal can still be done.

It seems Arsenal are targeting a left back, central defender, a winger and a Ramsey replacement with their budget. First choice in those areas seem to be Tierney, Saliba, Zaha & a loan deal for Ceballos of Real Madrid. They seem to be targeting young players in the main who can grow and Imorove with them.

Now that sounds difficult to do with a £50M budget but it's not as straight forward as adding all transfer fees up and that's their budget. They are trying to haggle to pay in installments, add ons etc. Plus I'm not sure their budget is only £50M, its an advantage for people to think they have a limited budget in negotiations, plus they will try to generate money from sales. Zaha is looking to prove too expensive so they are heavily linked with the Brazilian winger who started for them in the Copa America Everton Soares.

The frustration with the Arsenal fans is not who they are targeting, but the fact that they can't seem to get any over the line yet. They have seen Spurs come in and try and outbid them for Saliba at the last minute, haggling over the payment structure for Tierney, their Zaha bid laughed out, and their captain refuse to go on tour. They are targeting the owners with a campaign called We Care Do You, and the owners son responded yesterday with an open letter and interview sayingthey are confident deals will be finalised over the next couple of weeks.

People arguing about players values on here has been the most annoying thing this summer tbh. Can’t wait til the window closes.

Started on a new site yesterday and sat and listened to a bear and yahoo debate about wonder bhoy. It’s genuinely astounding that some of them think he’s on par with Robertson. I honestly really really really don’t understand where they are coming from.

David Ornstein has been reporting on this for the BBC, he's based in London and is very close to Arsenal. Their interest in Tierney is real.

Will Rentbhoy pass a proper medical?

He’s never worth £25m but it shows you how they manipulate the mhedia across the UK

Talksport saying £40-£50m is realistic

What a lot of shite that is

Hope he fails a medical

Depends if Arsenal wanted to appear active / busy to their fans. Might suit both parties.
I can't believe any Scottish Club could knock back that sort of money for a player. Especially an injured academy player.

Isn't Tierney a wee stay at home mummies boy? Maybe he just won't go anywhere anyway. In that case he's a valueless asset and Celtic wouldn't want that to be known.

Hope he stays with them this season , another wee runt that needs a girfuy when we return to our rightful place

You would think that Arsenal might have watched him before deciding he's the one they want ?
That must have been 6 months ago at least, there's a story he's recovering from a hernia surgery (actually hip surgery I believe), and they are willing to pay £25 mill.
1) I wouldn't spend that on a player who hasn't played in half a year.
2) How do you get through a medical in order to make this progress ?
3) Have they actually watched him play ? Tav & Candeias tore him apart ffs.

I think it's mental they are willing to offer a deal worth £25m for Kieran Tierney. He's not and never will be a patch on Andy Robertson - Roberrson is athletic, strong, has pace, excellent use of the ball, good engine, has excellent delivery and can defend. Oh yeah, he's also fit, which Tierney isn't.

Arsenal are a club who panic so I can see them shitting the bed and paying a ridiculous fee for Tierney.

Not sure how some one like that can pass a medical and surely if he's as crocked as some say, won't pass a medical?

The addons will be based on appearances, which if injured he probably won’t make. That’s why they are not happy with the ‘structure’ of the deal. They’ll never receive the addons of £25m!

If he doesn't go they are going to say it's like signing a £40 million player. We turned down millions to keep the player at Celtic etc.

They also haven't spent that much from the fabled pot of gold they are sitting on.

A big distraction from the child abuse and that they aren't doing much on the transfer front.

Scottish media - Celtic players are world class and Rangers players are all cr@p and not worth much.

Arsenal are absolutely mental if they don't sign Ziyech for the 30m it would take to meet his release clause.

Cracking player and he wants to join the club so it should be a no brainer.

They seem to have spent the last few years “building his value” in the press. The worst thing that could happen from their point of view is someone calling their bluff and placing a bid that they would have to accept. Assuming he fails a medical then his supposed value will fall quicker than O’Donnell in the penalty box.

Want Tierney to stay just so i can see that mutant face when we win 55.

Hate him but hes a decent player and as much as i dont want them getting silly money for him dont blame the tims asking for it seeing bang average players go for more down there

On a side note Arsenal are in trouble their squad needs serious upgrades and a small budget wont do that. Leicester are building a better squad at the minute

They won’t sell because he will fail a medical imo.
If that happened he’d be fecked and worth 1-2million max.

Lennon has said that they have rejected a second offer from Arsenal due to the payment structure.

I doubt even they would go that far if it wasn't true.

Lennon has said that they have rejected a second offer from Arsenal due to the payment structure.

I doubt even they would go that far if it wasn't true.
Arsenal would surely need in depth medical reports, and him to hit certain appearance targets? No club on earth will pay £25m up front for him.

The Tierney signing has been in the English papers, as well as Sky Sports News regularly.

They are interested, no question.

Whether or not he's fit enough to move is another question.

His medical will tell us plenty.

Personally I'll be delighted if the wee papish c**t leaves.

He's the heartbeat of their team and he'll be very difficult to replace.

As a Rangers fan that suits me just fine.

If Arsenal have a transfer budget of £50m and are looking at players like dimwit they wont be challenging for much next season,the Arsenal support cant be at all happy in a perverse way I want to see him out his depth.

They won’t sell because he will fail a medical imo.
If that happened he’d be fecked and worth 1-2million max.

There is no way he will pass a medical, he will have a career of being plagued by the same problem.He will manage a few games then will have to rest for weeks to recover.It will be a continuing cycle.

What I don't get is that Unai Emery sat of his PSG arse and watched his team put 12 goals past a Tierney led Celtic defence in two games. This is the equivalent of us blowing £2m on Forfar's left back. Mental.

I'd be disappointed if they sold Tierney and got £20-25m tbh. A left back won't win you a league title, but having £20m to spend on the squad just might.

Back