When it wasn't easy finding out results

AirdrieBear

Younger fans will never have had this struggle, but what are your memories of finding out a score?

We never had teletext on our telly and it was obviously before the internet. The anticipation of waiting on a result on the tv news/radio was brutal at times!

I suppose my main memory of it could still be the case today as it was on a flight home from gran canaria. We were playing the tims and I was having palpatations waiting on the score only for the pilot to announce we won 3-1 que a big roar on the plane! :))

Pilot obviously a good guy!

It was the game albertz scored a rasper into the bottom corner and erik bo scored a double!

I remember being in the US on holiday in 1996 and having to wait 2 days to find the news that Rangers has been beaten 3:0 by Grasshoppers tucked away in the corner of a newspaper.

I was in New Zealand at New Year 1998 and it took the best part of a day to find the result of the game v Them at the piggery. It wasn't good news :(

Waiting on the pink times or green citizen on a Saturday night.
Or when the wee numbers board put up the half time scores at the back of each goal.you needed a programme to find out which score was for each game.if the tims were winning,some wee scoundrels would quickly swap them around.
It's amazing how many times they were 3 or 4 down at half time

The joy of teletext, waiting ages for the pages to turn to the one you want, looking away for a split second and your page with score vanished.
Watching a game on teletext was a horrible experience waiting for it to refresh and then someone always wanted to watch another channel so you would need to turn it over and sit there sweating for a break so you could switch it back over and check the scores.
We must have been mental!

I remember waiting on the Teletext to update when we were away to Dundee United in 2002/2003. It came up that Klos had equalised in the 93rd minute.

I had hadn't long got the Internet installed at the time but still thought the teletext was the fastest way for results!!! haha

I delivered evening newspapers in early 60''s. On Saturday, you got pink Evening Times and Green Evening Citizen. The papers arrived about 5pm and the latest scores were in a column (probably ht or just after). The results were also announced at 5 pm on BBC radio, and there were no updates before then.
At Ibrox, along the boundary wall at each end, you had A,B,C,D,E,F etc and at ht, somebody put the ht scores up. A 2 0 B 1 3 etc but you only knew who ABCD etc were if you had a programme.

Drove from Hereford to Exeter in a hire car to a gig, closest venue I could get a ticket for. When we arrived and parked the car it was FT and I was trying to get the full time scores on the radio and after going through the lower leagues at a low volume it was the turn of the Scottish Premier league and I tried to turn up the volume and all I got was Cel...and turned off the radio (hire car different buttons etc) G/f and her pals were pissing themselves at my reaction.
Had to buy a first edition paper on the way home from the gig to get the scores, shouldn't have bothered as we were horsed 5-1, Advocaat's first season.

Last edited:
walking back to the central station in 1987 from Ibrox with my uncle and getting the saturday pink then taking it to my grans to stay the night there and literally reading every letter of the pink, loved all the fresh scores and info

I was in New Zealand at New Year 1998 and it took the best part of a day to find the result of the game v Them at the piggery. It wasn't good news :(

i was at Huddersfield v Bradford that day, saw the result when i got back in the house, i was baffled more than anything

Reactions: ao2
I remember if you were away for the weekend you'd need to phone the house phone at some point to find out, usually you were out so couldn't catch the Saturday tea-time classifieds. I was away for the Grand National and years and heard we were getting beat at the races. Got back to the hotel and called home to find out we'd come back and won 2-1, gave out a big 'Yasss' and got asked to calm down by the receptionist. Hotel was the big one in Picaddily Gardens Manchester.

My auld man loved a pink times on Saturday nigh even if we'd been to the game.

A few come to mind.

League cup final 1970. Being part of a big group crowded round a telly shop watching the teleprinter.

In Holland the next day after beating Juventus 1978 had to wait till the afternoon before the English papers were delivered to Arnhem train station.

Phoning up some number to get the football results in the early 70’s.

I remember waiting on the Teletext to update when we were away to Dundee United in 2002/2003. It came up that Klos had equalised in the 93rd minute.

I had hadn't long got the Internet installed at the time but still thought the teletext was the fastest way for results!!! haha

I was undercover in the Dundee United end for that but couldn't help celebrating when Klos scored (later given to Namouchi)

I had to make a swift exit

I can remember having to wait for the paper to find out the previous night's result, or Grandstand for the results on a Saturday. One highlight (1968 I think) was when the results announcer said
"Rangers 10 Raith Rovers 2"
Fair made my day!

Teletext for me.

The amount of last minute goals they c*nts scored though was always a sore yin to take.

Driving home in the car, listening to the radio presenter slowly read out the scores from all the leagues. The anticipation of waiting for it to reach the SPL was murder. Then finally a great cheer in the car

On holiday in Florida February 98 and had to phone my gran the day after we played Hearts. I'm sure she told us we lost 2-1 and I later found out it was 2-2, we scored a late goal.

Also remember being in Majorca in 93 and find out out in the evening we had beat Hibs 2-1 to win the league cup.

I have lived in the USA long enough to remember my father in the back yard with a short wave radio :) Traditional method in New mexico was 2 week old newspapers and one month late world soccers and shoot.

1980 Saturday evening travelling into Paddington Station wondering what the score was at Broomfield.
On arrival purchased an evening paper which carried the day's football results printed along the side edge of the page.
Airdrie 5 Rangers 0.
Eventually procured the correct coins and found a phone box that actually worked. Phoned home in horror- how could we get thrashed at Broomfield?
A bemused dad assures me the correct score was 1-1. Turns out the scoreline were out of sync with the fixtures. Seems Aberdeen had won their fixture 5-0.
Never been so delighted to get a draw at Airdrie.

As a younger supporter having never had this problem some of these stories are brilliant

Im only 35 and still find it amazing how quickly the Internet 'blew up' over the last 10-15 years.

I used to love getting home from work and opening up Teletext and entering Page 402, which was the main headlines in Scottish Football that day. I remember one was "Gers complete double signing", I was excitedly waiting on the page loading to find out who we had signed, it was Vanoli and Berg!!!

This was at the time where the Evening Times venders would appear about 12.30 in town and sell the paper from their wee stall. it used to have the headlines at the side to get you to buy the paper "Gers Closing in on Dutch Winger" or the likes would be on the side of their stall. I couldn't wait till lunch to run across and get one to see who it was.

Not quite waiting for a result but I distinctly remember listening to the league decider v Aberdeen in 1991 on the radio. It's unthinkable these to even consider a game of that magnitude not being shown live on TV!

I've had to listen to the odd game on the radio in the last few years and quite enjoyed it.

No quite the dark ages, but definitely in the early days of web access. I was in New York for the game against them when Novo chipped their keeper at the Peadodome.

I had to buy something from the giftshop at the top of the Empire State Building to get some change to get on an internet booth. It was like a payphone, but had a screen and keypad with dial-up connection and watching report come inline by line was torture hoping credits would last until got to the end.

Moved to New Brunswick Canada in 1980 & first purchase was a short wave radio so I could listen to the BBC World Service for the scores. Usually it was an English second half commentary plus the classifieds afterwards but if we were playing them we'd get that commentary. If the weather was nice the reception sucked so I used to rig up a temporary arial and get the wife to walk around the room until I got the best signal........well I did that once..lol. If I couldn't get a signal I had to wait until the local paper on a Monday and hope they had enough room to print the English & SPL scores. Phoning home wasn't an option as it was about a days pay for the call.
Fast forward to 1990/91 league cup final and slightly cheaper phone rates. I called my Dad who was watching on tv at half time & asked him to put the phone next to the radio and spent the next 90 minutes listening to the 2nd half & ET through the phone. The $300 phone call was worth it though as we beat the east enders 2-1.....big Gough with the winner!!

As a 15 year old kid I remember being in Majorca the night of the second leg versus Dinamo Kiev, and ended up watching Spain's equivalent of Sportscene showing highlights of one of the Spanish games, all in the knowledge that surely they would shod the rest of the scores at the end of the programme.

Remember letting out a roar when it came up 2-0.

Was wearing my Rangers top so I made it a good night for any number of bears when I relayed the good news after they had asked if I knew the score.

(Little did I know at the time that the game was won by probably the best headed goal ever scored in the history of football).

Was I'm my honeymoon in the middle of the Med when we won the League at Glitterdome, no one could get any news until we berthed the next morning and s couple of guys ran ashore and phoned home

This definitely seems an old codgers thread, going by the amount of people who relied on the pink Times and green citizen.changed days, praise for the papers on FF

Imagine on covering 40 mins of a live game on either TV or Radio now!!

As much as we are spoiled these days with TV coverage, there is something I miss about those days also.

It couldn't just have been me that used to scream "c'mon" when for example during a home mentally challengeds game you would here those awaited words "there's been a goal at Ibrox"!

Used to be dragged round the shops on a Saturday with the folks and the highlight was finding a Currys with Teletext scores on
You used to see that in town from around 4:30pm on a Saturday - groups of mostly men standing around the TVs in the window catching scores on teletext or watching the match reports or result ticker on Sportscene.

Tended to be a fairly mixed crowd as well so I’m sure it had its moments over the years!

I spent summer 1990 in America and had to call home to find the score of the first game of the season v Dunfermline. Always remember telling the call-collect woman my name was Mr Souness so she asked my parents "Will you accept a collect call from a Mr Souness in New York?"

I phoned my sister from my room in Jamaica in April 1996 to find out the score against Falkirk! 3-2 , cost me about a fiver!

Back