What would be the current value of the 1992 team vs leeds

Buster

Just a bit of fun ,going by the crazy prices being paid in England just now what would be the current value of
Goran 30 mill
Robertson 25 mill
Gough 75 mill
McPherson 20 mill
Brown 15 mill
Ferguson 40 mill
Steven 50 mill
McCall 30 mill
Durrant 80 mill
Hayeley 40 mill
McCoist 40 mill
Any views on values , Ian Ferguson ?

Last edited:
Just a bit of fun ,going by the crazy prices being paid in England just now what would be the current value of
Goran 30 mill
Robertson 25 mill
Gough 75 mill
McPherson 20 mill
Brown 15 mill
Ferguson 40 mill
Steven 50 mill
McCall 30 mill
Durrant 80 mill
Hayeley 40 mill
McCoist 40 mill

I think those estimates are a bit high. Hateley would be the highest at around 45 to 50 million if it was today's prices but it's hard to tell.

Remember that team we came very very close to winning the whole thing and that was only 17 years ago not sure but think it was the proper champions cup only league winners great memories .Think my estimation of Durrant might be on the low side going by today's figures

Remember that team we came very very close to winning the whole thing and that was only 17 years ago not sure but think it was the proper champions cup only league winners great memories .Think my estimation of Durrant might be on the low side going by today's figures

27 years ago

Goran 30 mill
Robertson 25 mill
Gough 75 mill
McPherson 20 mill
Brown 15 mill
Ferguson 40 mill
Steven 50 mill
McCall 30 mill
Durrant 80 mill
Hayeley 40 mill
McCoist 40 mill

A lot more than that tbh, especially Hateley & McCoist.

As I posted on another thread, this was a period when we were successful and as such, worth money. We had more money than anybody else so why would players leave ?

Those figures are nonsense. As great as the team were, they still played in Scotland. There has been no player from Scotland whose ever come anywhere near those prices. Hutton a decade ago was "only" 9 million after an impressive showing in Europe.

Would need to see the ages of each player at the time to make a better judgement.
But Gough would be right up there.

Those figures are nonsense. As great as the team were, they still played in Scotland. There has been no player from Scotland whose ever come anywhere near those prices. Hutton a decade ago was "only" 9 million after an impressive showing in Europe.

McCoist was the Golden Boot winner two years in a row at that point though.

Just a bit of fun johnny ,was making more of a dig at the crazy prices being paid out for players in England . I don't agree nonsense as that's prices based on a team that walked the league up here had a fantastic run in Europe and made teams sit up and knew we had quality .
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but if McGuire is going for prob 80 million ,Gough if playing now would be at least on a par . Durrant was at his prime then and one of the finest players I've ever seen and with the way midfielders like him are protected by the laws of the game now would be a superstar

Tricky to compare because at the time the Scottish and English transfer markets were much the same. We were paying top dollar for the likes of Robertson or McPherson from other Scottish clubs, which was similar or more than the prices English clubs were trading players. In the early 1990s we were routinely paying £1-2m for players when the UK transfer record was the £5.5m we sold Steven to Marseille, while the world record was £10-13m. If we assume the Scottish market isn't dead like it is now, we can apply the same ratios to current transfer prices to get some broad figures. Also got to consider many of the Rangers team were hitting 30 so their saleable value was falling with every year.

Goram - paid £1m for him the year before, which made him the most expensive keeper in the UK. Probably somewhere around 35-60m in today's prices, given he was 28 at the time.
Robertson - another £1m signing. That was a lot for a left back at the time, if you look at Andreas Brehme going to Inter a couple of years earlier for the same figure or Denis Irwin to Man Utd for £650k. Something like 15-25m.
Gough - he was 30 by 1992/93 so his value would have been reduced somewhat. Spurs paid £750k for him when he was 24 when the British transfer record was £2.2m
McPherson - paid £1.3m for him in 1992, which was a tenth of the world record fee, equivalent now would be around £20m.
Steven - selling him for 5.5m would be something like £100-120m today, buying him back for half I reckon 50-60m.
Hayeley - another £1m man in 1990, so I reckon around £20m, particularly given he was 30-31 by the time of the Leeds game.
McCoist - tricky one given he had just turned 30. But he was probably the number one goalscorer in the British game so £30m or so would be fair.

Gough wouldn't be 75mill.

He would potentially be 75 mill provided he moved down south and had a good season

Brown wouldnt pass a medical with the state of his knees .They dont make players like Bomber anymore .

Goran 30 mill
Robertson 25 mill
Gough 75 mill
McPherson 20 mill
Brown 15 mill
Ferguson 40 mill
Steven 50 mill
McCall 30 mill
Durrant 80 mill
Hayeley 40 mill
McCoist 40 mill
I’d be looking at todays comparable players for a guide.
For example, would van Dijk be as good as Gough?
Goram or the Liverpool lad?
McCoist and Hateley or Kane and Rashford?

I think someone has missed the point....

Goran 30 mill
Robertson 25 mill
Gough 75 mill
McPherson 20 mill
Brown 15 mill
Ferguson 40 mill
Steven 50 mill
McCall 30 mill
Durrant 80 mill
Hayeley 40 mill
McCoist 40 mill
Depends as well on sell on value, not sure how old goughy was at that time. £20 mil for mcpherson might be pushing it....

Goran 30 mill
Robertson 25 mill
Gough 75 mill
McPherson 20 mill
Brown 15 mill
Ferguson 40 mill
Steven 50 mill
McCall 30 mill
Durrant 80 mill
Hayeley 40 mill
McCoist 40 mill

Think most of these are way undervalued in modern EPL terms.

Remember we beat the English champions home and away and nearly reached the final. And it was a time when Scottish and English football was more comparable. We were signing top English talent. Some of the values would be easily up in the £80mill

The figures in the OP are laughable, quite frankly.

If these players were playing for a successful Rangers in the SPFL now, there would be an upper ceiling of around £25-30m max for them, IMO, and that’s assuming we were selling directly to the EPL.

Remember we beat the English champions home and away and nearly reached the final. And it was a time when Scottish and English football was more comparable. We were signing top English talent. Some of the values would be easily up in the £80mill

That was the first season of the EPL though, so before their millions began to kick in and English football headed off into the stratosphere.

So we’re saying that we somehow managed to maintain a financial parity with the top English clubs while mired in the relative paucity of the Scottish game?

It’s hypothetical turned up to 11.

Funny thread as i said a wee bit fun actually amazing the difference in posters values . Team I loved watching had a lot of good Euro nights home and away . Big laugh was big McPherson could have given any value from 500,000 to the 20 million he was so much of a love hate figure but was in a good mood this morning. Interesting one is a fit Durrant what do you think he would be worth in todays ridiculous prices ?

Gough wouldn't be 75mill.

He would potentially be 75 mill provided he moved down south and had a good season

Gough had a good season in England, he was Spurs captain that’s why we had signed him.

Ages aside if a Rangers team now were beating the best in the English game their values would be huge.

Whoever it was would have to beat the modern world record fee for a keeper to buy Goram.

A modern day Mccoist would be worth a significant amount of money as well.

Funny thread as i said a wee bit fun actually amazing the difference in posters values . Team I loved watching had a lot of good Euro nights home and away . Big laugh was big McPherson could have given any value from 500,000 to the 20 million he was so much of a love hate figure but was in a good mood this morning. Interesting one is a fit Durrant what do you think he would be worth in todays ridiculous prices ?
It’s literally impossible to answer the mad obsession the now with transfer fees is weird

That was the first season of the EPL though, so before their millions began to kick in and English football headed off into the stratosphere.

So we’re saying that we somehow managed to maintain a financial parity with the top English clubs while mired in the relative paucity of the Scottish game?

It’s hypothetical turned up to 11.

Fair enough. Though the rise of the EPL was essentially a marketing gimmick of Sky. If they’d decided to put promotionally the sane money into the SPL at the same time then who knows what would have happened

McCoist was the Golden Boot winner two years in a row at that point though.

I was getting the old 'But would he score down here' the year before from Leeds fans whilst working in Yorkshire. Well they learnt that in a reasonable time.

And also going to their games.
"You're going home in a Yorkshire ambulance."

Just remembered Scott Nisbets goal against Club Brugge what other player in the world could have scored that goal at Ibrox never seen one like that before or since and ive been watching football a long long time lol

Goran 30 mill
Robertson 25 mill
Gough 75 mill
McPherson 20 mill
Brown 15 mill
Ferguson 40 mill
Steven 50 mill
McCall 30 mill
Durrant 80 mill
Hayeley 40 mill
McCoist 40 mill

Dave MacPherson - £20m...

The single most BATSHIT CRAZY thing ever posted on here.

Dave MacPherson - £20m...

The single most BATSHIT CRAZY thing ever posted on here.
I was in a good mood this morning ,yup think i got him a wee bit high think i should have taken a zero off . Mind you didnt realise we paid a million for him according to a previous poster

Back