Candeias to Turkey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
07-08 he had 16 goals in 49 games.

He scored some big ones, sure, but 1 in 3 isn't a great return.

08-09: 38 games, 10 goals
09-10: 49 games, 9 goals.
You're right, apart from scoring the goal that got us through the champions league qualifiers, scoring in two games against celtic, scoring against panathinaikos to put us through to the last 16 of the Uefa, and scoring the winning penalty against Fiorentina, 07/08 was pretty forgettable for Novo:D

We do tend to get quite attached to our players. Unfortunately the ones who are going to bring in good money tend to be the ones that have been playing reasonably well.

Last year of his contract, inflated squad and we have players and a formation that can play well without him.

Makes sense to sell him.

You're right, apart from scoring the goal that got us through the champions league qualifiers, scoring in two games against celtic, scoring against panathinaikos to put us through to the last 16 of the Uefa, and scoring the winning penalty against Fiorentina, 07/08 was pretty forgettable for Novo:D
I already said he scored some big ones, but it doesn't change that it wasn't a great output, and it's why he played so much from the bench.

Anyway, we're getting this thread off track.

Just so long as their is a clause in his deal to be allowed back for our title winning party.

Yeah, I am excited by it actually...

I reckon we get an ever better quality of attacking output from Tav with a winger who can go and play on the half turn ala Arfield.

I have never found the whole Tav's performance is dependent on thing Candieas that valid personally..

I reckon he will be sound defensively without him as well - Tav....

Crazy as it is I reckon Goldson, Shagger and Jack offer a better level of defensive support than Kiernan, Foderingham and Holt did and that made the bigger difference - well that and a competent coaching team and an actual strategic structure.
We will need to disagree re Candeias, I feel he’s been a good servant you obviously don’t.
However Arfield a winger, that’s for another thread, which I would like to see fellow FF’s opinions on that one. :))

I'd be sad to see him go although his inconsistency can annoy me at times. I think he has enough competition now to stop him taking his place for granted which might have been his problem in the past. And so far in pre-season he has proved he's willing to fight for his place. Would he sustain this after the transfer window is shut though is the question? And more importantly, does he tick the boxes SG wants in a player for that position? The second question I suspect not.

Think we need to accept facts. SG wants a 23/24 man squad. And I just can't see how that's possible if we hold onto guys like Candeias, Halliday and perhaps even Murphy.

I'll be honest, and it's rare I disagree with the gaffer, but I think those numbers would be too small for the demands of the season, especially playing the high tempo game we are employing. No way players can produce that twice a week on an ongoing basis. Unless it signals his intention to start blooding some of the development squad this year.

"Super League teams Genclerbirligi last minute transfer development took place.

According to information obtained by Ajansspor; Gençlerbirliği has reached an agreement with right-wing player Daniel Candeias, who played for Glasgow Rangers.

Çaykur Rizespor'un also included in the agenda Candeias preferred the capital team because of the education status of children.

31-year-old Portuguese footballer played in Alanyaspor in 2016/17 season."
Never knew Daniel was right wing, #FreeTommy

The worst time this news could come out, on the back of a good performance and 2 goals.

If we’d heard this news as last season ended, we’d all be pretty happy with it.

The game the other day only glosses over the fact he offers very little to us in Scottish football. He’s a limited footballer. Can’t fault his effort, but we need better.

I hope he moves on and all the best to him if he does.

I don't think that will have any relevance whatsoever.
Who knows. But it will be a considered factor.

Over time, plenty footballers have made or not made a move based on their kids education environment. It's an important decision as a parent - particularly when your first child goes to school.

I wish him well, good player. If he had more consistency I'd be upset about him leaving, can be top class some days and REALLY poor some days with his crossing.

I like Candeias but have never quite been convinced that he has the quality we ideally want. No problem with him being one of a 24 man squad but not a regular starter. It follows from that however that if you are a squad player then you are at risk of being moved on especially if we have a bloated squad and we are offered money to sell. What it does show is that Gerrard is absolutely ruthless in pursuit of continuous improvement.

He embodies all that is good about being a Ranger.

Hard work , endeavour , a willingness to work for the team.

Anyone who gives 100% will always do for me.

If he is going I can only wish him all the best and thank him for being a Ranger at a point in his life.

I’d prefer that he be kept. Candeias is a very capable player and a good option even if he isn’t starting every game. You won’t convince me that the likes of Stewart, Hastie and Jones are a step up from him. Maybe given time that could be the case, but I think this would be a mistake.

We only bought him for around £1m. If we can get our money back for him then I think the club would take it.

Good squad player, does an effective job defensively as well. Think it'd be a mistake to let him go in all honesty.

Showed the other day that he still has quality as well. Showed it in Europe last season.

Hopefully not true
Shown in pre season he has a lot to offer.
Purely on stats he was just as productive as Kent last season (I know football isn’t all about stats) but it shows how important he is and can be going forward

The other 3.

Candeias has started pre season very well, but im not forgetting the 2 years hes been in the team and lacked quality most weeks. Works hard aye but shouldnt every pro player.

Makes sense if hes goes imo
I’m not against him moving on if there’s a clear upgrade on quality. I’m not sure the 3 mentioned are. If I was picking a team for the Piggery tomorrow, his name would be ahead of them. Just my own opinion of course.

The fact people keep referencing his work rate just illustrates his lack of quality and limitations.

I disagree, I think he has bags of quality - his biggest issue is inconsistency. People note his work rate because it is so high. Looks at the back heel assist last season - first it was his defence challenge followed by his hard work to chase down his own clarance and challenge the defender. From there, he had the vision and awareness to play in Alf with a perfectly weighted and placed back heel. Look at his two finishes at the weekend - both superb and the second in particular I would describe as world class. I don't think he gets enough credit for how much quality he actually possesses.

Good wee player.

I know certain people get frustrated with some of his passing and delivery, but he never stopped.

Strikers love a Candeias in the team. First attacking thought is “get it in the box”

It was always McKay and Wallace on the left before we signed Candeias mate

Yeah you're right with Wallace and McKay mate, but was Miller not playing through the middle then, with Waggy or Forrester right?

Only really remember Miller on the right when Garner started.

He tailed off badly last season and was on the outside looking in when we played our best football of the season.

Sentiment plays no part in football especially this season and the way we will be playing means he’ll not get much game time and the fact Gerrard left him out of the European squad and his comments at the weekend has made his exit inevitable.

He will go with my best wishes.

One of them has the ability/potential to take a big game by the scuff on the neck and win it almost single handidly - the other does not.

Good point but it also needs to be done in "smaller" games

Candeias performances last season in Europe would also suggest he can do it in bigger games.

We would miss his work rate and link up on the right, I also think he has the better of Tierney, especially defensively

We do tend to get quite attached to our players. Unfortunately the ones who are going to bring in good money tend to be the ones that have been playing reasonably well.

Last year of his contract, inflated squad and we have players and a formation that can play well without him.

Makes sense to sell him.
I like the wee man, but you have summed up the situation well. He may well want his future tied up to.

Good point but it also needs to be done in "smaller" games

Candeias performances last season in Europe would also suggest he can do it in bigger games.

We would miss his work rate and link up on the right, I also think he has the better of Tierney, especially defensively

I think we've now got numerous players (Kent too hopefully) who'll terrify Celtic's back-line.

Kent and candieas goals and assist are near identical
I think we've now got numerous players (Kent too hopefully) who'll terrify Celtic's back-line.

I hope so, but not sure any of the wingers we have bought have caused them issues previously. Confident ojo Can tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back