Jake Hastie

CaptainCourageous

A bit like Greg Docherty when he first joined in terms of trying too hard - which isn't a criticism.

(Slightly off topic but Docherty was impressive last night and I think it was Michael Beale who bigged him up when he came off).

At the same stage, Docherty had racked up numerous appearances for Hamilton so Hastie is way behind in that sense.

FWIW, I thought Hastie was good last night. Hard working, pressed, always showed for the ball and tried to take on his man. Lacked a bit of composure but that's to be expected given his inexperience and age. Delivered some dangerous crosses, took up some fantastic positions inside the box and had the opportunity to slip in Morelos but failed to lift his head.

Experience will do him wonders and the management team will work with him.

wouldn't be surprised to see him shunted out on loan. not sure if that has already had cold water poured on it by the manager but as the poster above says he wont be a regular this season.

down south away from this fucking backwater league to develop into a footballer instead of a hammer thrower.

Thought he looked fairly dangerous, but also had a couple of disappointing moments in terms of chances - though I think the one I was most disappointed in was when their defence parted like the Nile (due to his drive into space) - Morelos was wide open and he didn't play the pass - really should've got the head up.

No point in being overly critical at this stage too - am sure Gerrard will be letting him know what he's got to work on, and there is raw material there.

Still rough around the edges and has only really played 6 months of first team football at Motherwell prior to this.

He's one we're going to have to develop and a loan would probably be most beneficial this season.

Can see the talent is there, i felt he had a rusty game last night but he is one for our future most definitely

He looked very nervous last night and it affected his game. If we manage to bring Kent in I think he might go on loan until the end of the season.

He's one that would benefit from playing a whole season elsewhere on loan. I just don't see him being a regular with the other players currently at our disposal.

I agree. A season out somewhere playing week-in week-out would do him the world of good.

He's got massive potential but still very raw, which is to be expected for a young lad who's really only had less than half a season playing at Premier League level.

Young players who go out on loan now only need to look at Greg Docherty for inspiration, and see what going out for a season has done for his Rangers career.

Doc will play a big part this season in my opinion. That's something I didn't think I'd be saying before the players returned for preseason training.

A loan similar to Doc’s isn’t a bad idea.

Maybe keep here for 6 months so he can build him up tactically.

Hastie will more than likely spend the season at Ibrox and be loaned out next season

I agree, it is likely to be a couple of season before we see him playing regularly. You can see he has the talent and attributes to be a good player, think he needs to work on developing his right foot because he is very one footed

Thought he was poor if I’m honest but he’s a very talented boy who will only get better

His future is bright

I thought he was very poor last night if Im being completely honest.

I know he is a direct style of player but the amount of times he ran down blind alleys, or straight into oppostion players/traffic wasnt great. He also needs to try to get his head up more as seems to get his head down and just run when 2 or 3 times he could have slipped players in, if he had looked up he could have slipped morelos through on goal twice.

He is only 20 years old and theres obviously a massive jump from playing with the likes of alloa and airdie only last year to playing at Ibrox in front of nearly a full house.

Suppose considering the opposition I was hoping he would have shown a bit more last night especially as I thought he played well against oxford.

I would not be against him going out on loan this season and playing games as think his minutes with us this season might be restricted although the candeias and kent situations may have an impact on gerrards thinking.

A loan spell in League 1 would be perfect for him. Jones, Kent, Ojo, Arfield and Stewart is plenty cover for the wide or inside forward positions and we don't want to stall Hastie's development as he can be a good player in a year or two without a doubt.

Its tough for the players this season, every player needs to hit the ground running and i think if hastie puts in another 2 or 3 performances like last night he will go out on loan, great prospect but Gerrards demands are high and we have no time to wait on players to come good.

I hope his next game he performs the way we know he can id rather he didnt go on loan.

kent was like hastie at that age, skilfull and very eager if a bit too try-hard, look at the difference 2yrs of loans can do for a player though :) i think hastie will be a tremendous player for us going forward

I thought he was a deer caught in the headlights a bit last night.

Missing a simple pass to Alfredo in the first half, missing an absolute sitter as well and barely beating a man and just overthinking a lot.

The opposition was honking so it was a chance to impress for him last night.

I doubt he's played too many games at LW though so far in his career but hopefully in time the confidence and belief will come.

Thought he was really poor. Added nothing to the attack and gave the ball away numerous times. The positive result must be masking peoples views.

But as people said he looked to be trying too hard. He isn't ready yet but hes young and a loan away will do him the world of good

Just one game so its difficult to draw too many conclusions, but is he any better than what Glen Middleton was showing this time last year?

A few appearances from the bench to see what he can do followed by some time out on loan would make sense to me

Thought he was really poor. Added nothing to the attack and gave the ball away numerous times. The positive result must be masking peoples views.

But as people said he looked to be trying too hard. He isn't ready yet but hes young and a loan away will do him the world of good

Based on last night’s game, you’ve decided he’s not ready and should be loaned?

It's about developing this kid, he looked like a raw talented 19 year old making his debut in a competitive game last night. A loan move might be the making of him

Reminded me of the game against Motherwell after he was linked. His performance as a whole was poor but there was still things that i saw that i really liked. He's quick and powerful as a runner, gets up to speed very quickly and we know he's capable of hitting the ball well, thought he was a bit selfish but first competitive game for the club might make a young player like him want to have his moment. Might need a loan but hell come good

Time will tell but is he any better than Mcpake?

I'm not so sure.

Potentially, nobody really knows, but both are terrific prospects.

As things stand, Hastie is considerably ahead of McPake.

His biggest crime last night was trying too hard and possibly being a little overawed in what was his competitive debut for us.

Neither him nor McPake did themselves justice last night.

Both will benefit hugely from the experience.

He didn't have a great performance if we're being completely honest.

However he's young, he hasn't played in this environment before and you could see he was perhaps trying too hard to make something happen instead of just playing his natural game.

No worries about the kid, he's got time and we've plenty of options that he shouldn't be forced into the team before he's completely ready.

He looked a bit heavy legged and nervous tbh but I hope he gets a boot up the a**se regarding that through ball to Morelos.

I know he was trying to show his ability but if that were to happen in a more challenging game we'd be going absolutely mental e.g Forrester setting up Dodoo in the Old firm game a couple of years ago.

We need as many goals as possible next year and we need our players to be unselfish and think about the team.

A few people texted me to say he looked really raw, nervous and 'not quite ready'. A loan deal might be perfect.

Potentially, nobody really knows, but both are terrific prospects.

As things stand, Hastie is considerably ahead of McPake.

His biggest crime last night was trying too hard and possibly being a little overawed in what was his competitive debut for us.

Neither him nor McPake did themselves justice last night.

Both will benefit hugely from the experience.

I agree both are cracking prospects and we should just enjoy both of them but I do feel Mcpake has more of that something special.

It's a great problem to have and with lots more exciting talents coming through another positive of the current period.

Onwards and upwards.

He looked a bit heavy legged and nervous tbh but I hope he gets a boot up the a**se regarding that through ball to Morelos.

I know he was trying to show his ability but if that were to happen in a more challenging game we'd be going absolutely mental e.g Forrester setting up Dodoo in the Old firm game a couple of years ago.

We need as many goals as possible next year and we need our players to be unselfish and think about the team.

I noticed Morelos going mental at him after that and then Doc and Goldson having a real go at Morelos and telling him to drop it.

It was good to see Goldson have a quiet word with Hastie after that to obviously try and help him settle down.

Was it Hastie in the first half that dropped the shoulder and just flew by someone? What a turn of pace.

If it's the one where he attacks into the box and then cut it back, that was Morelos.

Great pace, as you say.

He's deceptively quick.

He was trying too hard last night. I am sure he can bring a lot to the team, but needs time. It's easier said than done, hope he gets another chance and relaxes and enjoys it more.

Hastie and Docherty suffer a little from over eagerness. But you can see that opposition players will hate playing against them. They won’t give them an easy day.

I think that he looked nervous and was trying too hard. He's a big direct player but very raw. I would give him until January to settle into our club and experience what it's like, let him play some of the development team games and maybe bench / sub for first team. Then send him out on loan in January for games.

I would like to think that McPake will get as many or more opps as Hastie, Josh looks a player

The boy's literally made 17 top division league appearances, the majority of his time has been spent on loan at Alloa and Airdrie, its a huge step up for him and will surely take a bit of time.

I doubt he will get stuck out on loan initially.

We will want to get him used to the management team, training, being around the squad and the facilities to settle him in before maybe sending him on loan in the 2nd half of the season or next season.

Didnt expect him to be a regular anyway & tbh I wont be judging him for many months yet

I think he has a lot of potential.

A loan this season would do him no harm as at that age players need to be playing if they are going to get better.

If it's the one where he attacks into the box and then cut it back, that was Morelos.

Great pace, as you say.

He's deceptively quick.
I think it was when Hastie shouldve scored? Couldnt see it from GE. Sure it was Hastie though he just knocked it by his man and stretched they big legs haha. Could be wrong though!

Back