Jake Hastie

I agree. A season out somewhere playing week-in week-out would do him the world of good.

He's got massive potential but still very raw, which is to be expected for a young lad who's really only had less than half a season playing at Premier League level.

Young players who go out on loan now only need to look at Greg Docherty for inspiration, and see what going out for a season has done for his Rangers career.

Doc will play a big part this season in my opinion. That's something I didn't think I'd be saying before the players returned for preseason training.

We should at least wait until, say,christmas to see what Docherty's loan spell has done for his Rangers career.

A bit like Greg Docherty when he first joined in terms of trying too hard - which isn't a criticism.

(Slightly off topic but Docherty was impressive last night and I think it was Michael Beale who bigged him up when he came off).

At the same stage, Docherty had racked up numerous appearances for Hamilton so Hastie is way behind in that sense.

FWIW, I thought Hastie was good last night. Hard working, pressed, always showed for the ball and tried to take on his man. Lacked a bit of composure but that's to be expected given his inexperience and age. Delivered some dangerous crosses, took up some fantastic positions inside the box and had the opportunity to slip in Morelos but failed to lift his head.

Experience will do him wonders and the management team will work with him.

Decent player , just tried to hard. Was almost like he was trying to be Kent

He will come good but he looked a bit lost last night, no wonder because 6 months ago he was playing in League 2.

Not sure his best position but alot of his goals I seen for Motherwell tend to be cutting I'm from the right. Young guy and has loads of time on his hands to improve.

I think it was when Hastie shouldve scored? Couldnt see it from GE. Sure it was Hastie though he just knocked it by his man and stretched they big legs haha. Could be wrong though!

aye it was morelos who knocked the boy by the lad and went on the outside of him and cut it back to big hastie, really should have scored, was great play by wee freddo.

We should at least wait until, say,christmas to see what Docherty's loan spell has done for his Rangers career.

OK 'career' was maybe not the best use of words by myself.

What I mean is that before the loan spell Gerrard didn't think he was quite ready to be part of his first team plans regularly.

It now looks like he's going to be.

Another factor that has been overlooked was he played on the left last night. At Motherwell he played on the right, cutting in and getting shots away. His biggest attributes from his clips, his genuine threat from distance and drawing full backs inside, were nullified as a result. He clearly looked uncomfortable on the left, probably because it was a new position for him combined with being over eager on his debut, and struggled to get past his man on the outside. Improvements will come with time, I'm definitely not judging him on last night, that's for sure, and I doubt Gerrard is either.

T
He's one that would benefit from playing a whole season elsewhere on loan. I just don't see him being a regular with the other players currently at our disposal.
Totally agree. He looks every bit the youngster out there who's just getting a taste.

He’s really needing a loan move. Absolutely nowhere near ready to making an impact on our first team this season.

Shrewsbury could be a decent option after seeing how well Docherty did for them last season (Middleton is another that would benefit from this).

Another factor that has been overlooked was he played on the left last night. At Motherwell he played on the right, cutting in and getting shots away. His biggest attributes from his clips, his genuine threat from distance and drawing full backs inside, were nullified as a result. He clearly looked uncomfortable on the left, probably because it was a new position for him combined with being over eager on his debut, and struggled to get past his man on the outside. Improvements will come with time, I'm definitely not judging him on last night, that's for sure, and I doubt Gerrard is either.
Was saying that last night, looked nervous and trying to hard but also usually plays on the right so defo out of his comfort zone, he will get better when settles.

If we bring in Kent then I think it is a certainty that Hastie will go out on loan.

Let him get a few more weeks of training with the squad then send him out somewhere for the season to play games every week.

He looked poor in all honesty but he's still a young guy so he'll blow hot and cold regardless.

I'd put him and Middleton out on loan tbh.

I would like to see him kept with us this season to get him used to being with a big club.He may not get much game time but will develop being with the senior pros at our club.

Next season may be the time to loan him out.I like him and can see him only getting better with experience.

He reminds me of a young John McGinn (as much as I don’t like to say it). Full of energy, endeavour and tries very hard, lacks a little quality but can produce the odd moment of magic.

Whether he can develop into a regular is up to him and his dedication.

He was a little hasty with some of his decision making last night
zclco2O.jpg

Its a loan from me ,early days I know but he couldnt get past any of the pub team derenders,his failure to not pick out Morelos was poor decision making.
Looks raw

He needs to be loaned out and playing each week. He ended up at Alloa because he was too raw for Motherwell at that point. He did OK then had a tremendous few games for Motherwell when he returned after new year, which probably really surprised Motherwell.
Folk I know who follow Alloa were convinced he would be loaned back to Alloa for the rest of the season.

He definitely has talent, but he's a big distance away from being ready to play regularly for Rangers. A loan spell would really help his development right now.

I like the fact he was in on the chances even tho he didn’t convert them. It’s instinct that puts you in the right place, some players have it, Super being a prime example, he was always there when the ball arrived/rebounded/squirmed out of the keepers hands.( Packy Bonner!) That bodes well for young Hastie.
It was his first taste of Europe and playing in front of 45,000 home fans, so he gets pass marks from me. I thought his pressing off the ball was very good too.

Can’t believe Gerrard saw Hastie ahead of Candieas for a Europa squad place tbh. It appears that’s been a key factor to Candieas looking to move on....personally feel that’s another man management lesson that Gerrard needs to learn from.

Can’t believe Gerrard saw Hastie ahead of Candieas for a Europa squad place tbh. It appears that’s been a key factor to Candieas looking to move on....personally feel that’s another man management lesson that Gerrard needs to learn from.

Odd.

Perhaps Candieas was already offski so Gerrard was blooding someone who'll be at Rangers for many more years to come.

He also usually plays right side cutting in on his left .. hes not a left winger whos going to
Fire crosses over

Gerrard, rightly in my opinion, sees Arfield, Ojo, Stewart and Jones ahead of Candeias, so he was never going to start in key games for us anyway.

It makes perfect sense to include a 19 year old new signing in the squad to gain experience, over a 31 year old who won't play.

Odd.

Perhaps Candieas was already offski so Gerrard was blooding someone who'll be at Rangers for many more years to come.
Already offski....prior to leaving him out the squad last week. Keep up fella Gerrard said last night he doesn’t want Candieas to go, his plan was to use him as a squad player. Candieas has taken the huff and Gerrard alludes to that by saying he’s a bad sub.

Gerrard is learning the manager trade and man management of these Latin types who can react tempestuously is an art form...he needs to review whether he thinks he handled this situation in the right way if he didn’t want Candieas to leave and he chooses to leave.

Gerrard, rightly in my opinion, sees Arfield, Ojo, Stewart and Jones ahead of Candeias, so he was never going to start in key games for us anyway.

It makes perfect sense to include a 19 year old new signing in the squad to gain experience, over a 31 year old who won't play.
Not sure it does if he wanted to retain him as a squad player.....potentially leave him out squads after transfer window is closed not before. It’s all about managing your players with their personalities and the transfer windows appropriately for the betterment of Rangers!! Not individual players.

I thought he looked unfit last night. In the second half he came to take a corner at the copland/govan stand end and he looked like he was really blowing out of his arse.

I thought he struggled last night, struggled to beat his man, picked the wrong option on occasion but he is young and like others have said only had 6 months first team football. He has a lot to learn and develop, not sure if he should stay here for the season or go out on loan. He looked raw last night, I think a loan might be good idea.

Lets see how he develops over the next few games. Like people have said, its one game.

Already offski....prior to leaving him out the squad last week. Keep up fella Gerrard said last night he doesn’t want Candieas to go, his plan was to use him as a squad player. Candieas has taken the huff and Gerrard alludes to that by saying he’s a bad sub.

Gerrard is learning the manager trade and man management of these Latin types who can react tempestuously is an art form...he needs to review whether he thinks he handled this situation in the right way if he didn’t want Candieas to leave and he chooses to leave.

Gerrard didn't fancy him anymore - thus DC's exclusion from the Euro squad.

He was offski one way or another after that.

Not sure it does if he wanted to retain him as a squad player.....potentially leave him out squads after transfer window is closed not before. It’s all about managing your players with their personalities and the transfer windows appropriately for the betterment of Rangers!! Not individual players.

I understand what you're saying mate, but Gerrard had clearly decided he'd 4 better options in Arfield,Ojo, Stewart and Jones for the positions behind the striker, so Candeias was never going to play in these games.

Hastie only started last night because the tie was already won and Gerrard wanted to use the opportunity to give him experience of a big game atmosphere at Ibrox.

That's good man management imo.

Only one game but I’m not sure what he brings to the team that Middleton doesn’t

Why even make a statement like that after only one game though? Surely you need to see him play at least a handful of games for us first.

From what I’ve seen of his time at Motherwell hes a lot more likely to grab a goal from outside the box.

Yup, both times we’ve seen him he’s been predominantly on the left with the odd sojourn into the middle. No prolonged spell on the right, which is odd. Last night it looked to me like he’d been told to drift inside alongside Morelos to leave space for Halliday on the left wing - which Andy used well - but which didn’t really suit Hastie’s game.

I wouldn’t send him out on loan. Give him confidence by keeping him at Ibrox and work on him on the training pitch to teach him ‘game and tactical awareness’ to smooth out those rough edges.

Had to laugh last night. After the one he put just past the post he wandered about the pitch for about 5 minutes repeatedly saying to himself ‘That was pish. Pish!’. He’s clearly anxious to do well.

Last edited:
I like the look of him, a bit raw and trying to hard, but looks to have the attitude to succeed with us.

A 6 month loan may help help him, though if he doesnt go on loan I wont be upset, I think he'll settle down.

Why even make a statement like that after only one game though? Surely you need to see him play at least a handful of games for us first.

From what I’ve seen of his time at Motherwell hes a lot more likely to grab a goal from outside the box.

Middleton was doing that plenty for the 20s at the end of last season

Depends. We could get 300k for DC and then spend a few quid replacing him

If it’s £300k for Candeias then that will probably just about cover the Development Fee for Hastie.

I’d hope for a minimum £500k for Candeias though. Whether we get it is a different matter.

I'd like to give him the first 6 months to get to know the team/formations/culture etc.. and to give him a chance to impress and an opportunity to compete for a spot.
However, if he is not playing, we need to get him out on loan for the second half of the season. At 19, we want him playing regular and building that experience.

Thought he was really poor. Added nothing to the attack and gave the ball away numerous times. The positive result must be masking peoples views.

But as people said he looked to be trying too hard. He isn't ready yet but hes young and a loan away will do him the world of good
Agree with this. He's only 19 and has been bought for potential, but thought he had a weaker game last night.

Am I incorrect or did he not play from the right more at Motherwell?

Back