David Bates told to find a new club

Status
Not open for further replies.
The old twonk in front of me has never been back at his seat after I called him a poor defender, he said "Baxter came from Raith and looked how he turned out".

He fųcked off first chance he got and chased the higher wage which is fair enough. Gerrard would have binned him anyway!

He's honking. He was an FF favourite though but it'll now do its usual flip and say he was always sh*te anyway :D

He's a nice guy though and made a decent bit of money over there so fair play to him.

Absolutely loving the "not surprised" brigade on here :D

Last season this place was raving about him, he was a mainstay for Hamburg at the time.

This forum is made up by thousands of people many with different, and some with similar, views and opinions.

‘This place’ had just as many people ‘raving’ about the player has it had those questioning his qualities.

Is that so difficult to process?

That’s just nonsense. When he was with us he was a very raw but talented defender.

Very raw, a decent amount of potential, and I guess 'talent' is all relative.

Never good enough for us at the time, and didn't see enough in him to get too worried when he left.

He's the same age as Katic and, in my view, not nearly as talented.

He's honking. He was an FF favourite though but it'll now do its usual flip and say he was always sh*te anyway :D

He's a nice guy though and made a decent bit of money over there so fair play to him.

It's the exact same as Tav, watch out for it next season.

Right now he's our £15m+ defender, the next poor game he has this place will be punting him for £2m.

This forum is made up by thousands of people many with different, and some with similar, views and opinions.

‘This place’ had just as many people ‘raving’ about the player has it had those questioning his qualities.

Is that so difficult to process?

How do you know that?

An ‘FF favourite’? Well some contributors rated him but equally some didn’t.

‘it’ll’ now do it’s usual flip’, eh?

The forum has a range of views and opinions. ‘It’ doesn’t have a single voice.

And we wonder why our explayers hate us in the media reading some of the comments on here.
Not really. David Bates is better than Russel Martin but he still isn’t good enough for Rangers or the Bundesliga.

He’d be good for Hearts or Kilmarnock or Aberdeen

That’s just nonsense. When he was with us he was a very raw but talented defender.
He was basic. That's the best I can say about him.

A big raw boy who tried his best and has already exceeded the talent he has.

There are literally dozens of players we have had in the last 6/7 years that in normal circumstances would never play for our first team. This has lowered our standards and I'm afraid bid Davie is one of those guys - looked like Gough when he played beside Cardoso but nowhere near good enough

Strange decision by them if indeed true. After his injury at the end of the season they went completely to pot at the back and lost game after game. He had some excellent games.

It can take players a year just to settle into a new country. Hamburg are a fucking disaster zone, it’s wasn’t a good move for him despite being brave.

I suspect he’ll actually stay in Germany.

I think he will be a David Weir type player who will blossom late on in his career, all the best to the lad!

Bates vs Katic/Goldson/Edmundson/Helander there's no chance he's anywhere near our squad.

Someone mentioned earlier, he was playing alongside the likes of Russell Martin (who did seem a nice bloke but was a car crash at times). He'll go on to a decent career but we've moved on

Hamburg saw something in him ,as I say ,raw but there was the possibility they could have moulded what defensive qualities he had into a decent level defender.

At the time he left we were being subjected to the likes of Russell Martin F.F.S

I think he will be a David Weir type player who will blossom late on in his career, all the best to the lad!

Davie Weir played in the English Premier League most of his career, having been linked with a lot of top clubs before going there. He didn't just blossom late on. He was a top player.

Davie Weir played in the English Premier League most of his career, having been linked with a lot of top clubs before going there. He didn't just blossom late on. He was a top player.

Do you really believe this jibberish? Weir didn’t move down south until he was nearly 30! After nearly leaving the game, shooting across to US, coming back for Falkirk then Hearts.

Honestly the amount of people who offer absolute statements without one iota of knowledge is frightening

I know that mate, but he didnt really "blossom" until he moved to Everton at the age of 29 mate.

Do you really believe this jibberish? Weir didn’t move down south until he was nearly 30! After nearly leaving the game, shooting across to US, coming back for Falkirk then Hearts.

Honestly the amount of people who offer absolute statements without one iota of knowledge is frightening
Was thinking this myself mate.. wasnt just me then haha

I agree with you. It's funny how quickly people change their minds about a player.

Wasn't all that talented with the ball but was a good enough defender.

I always preferred Ross McCrorie though.

It’s funny he’s a physical safety first, punt in the stand old fashioned defender, who was very limited on the ball, but had a little touch of pace that came in useful. We now have better, and fair play to him for trying something different.

Very similar to that dud McKenna at Aberdeen who we are supposed to accept is worth £8-10m, I don’t think Bates is much poorer than him if at all.

Wherever the boy ends up I say the best of luck to him unless he his playing against us then I hope he has a nightmare. And despite being an absolute car crash over the last few years Hamburg are still my German team so the best of luck to them this season.

Went for the money and is now probably set for life if well invested and a new club over here will keep him going at a reasonable level for a few years. Didn't think he was a bad player but would not be required now.

David Bates is still in Hamburg's plans despite reports in Germany suggesting he could leave.

Record Sport Online understands that the former Rangers defender is still a huge part of Dieter Hecking's plans and won't be sold this summer.

He wasnt good for us at all yet, because he was better than Martin and Wilson, folk thought he was brilliant. Was really bizarre.

Nowhere near the class of Katic and Goldson.

However, fair play to him for taking the move on. What an experience.

Like David Edgar of FF and Heart and Hand fame? o_O

I liked the lad at the time but looking back your right.

Haha. I've plenty knowledge mate. I suggest you're the one who lacks knowledge if you think Weir just became a great player later on. He was always a top player. He was on Smith's radar for years first time around and we had a top defence at that time.

No idea why you've recounted Weir's career path to me either. I'm well aware of it.

Starting late as a professional doesn't mean he wasn't a top player until later on in his career.

Bates will have nothing like the career Weir had althought I really hope he does.

Last edited:
It does show how much we've improved.

As for those slagging people off for having an opinion, one where these Bears liked a Rangers player, grow up.

Always thought he had an air of self belief far beyond his actual ability and people like that always get found out in the end.

Fair play for having the guys to move abroad but I suspect he'll end up at the hearts / killie / sheep level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back