Europa League 19/20 - Everything You Need To Know

Would wolves play a second string do we think? Or are they likely to make a go of it.

Wolves second string treating it like a pre season friendly we should take care of
Wolves leave China today after playing in the Asia Trophy.
The manager was quoted months ago saying he planned to play a mix of U23’s in their first qualifying tie as the preparation time before wasn’t great (they play Crusaders on Thursday).

I reckon by the time we played them it would be pretty much full squad.

Are we playing home or away first in the third round? Some tough ties in there but would fancy us at Ibrox against any of them.

Have the feeling we are going to get Wolves. They are the only team in that grouping that could put us out.

Wolves leave China today after playing in the Asia Trophy.
The manager was quoted months ago saying he planned to play a mix of U23’s in their first qualifying tie as the preparation time before wasn’t great (they play Crusaders on Thursday).

I reckon by the time we played them it would be pretty much full squad.

Definitely want Gent then

Will Wolves take the Europa League seriously? Time and time again you see EPL clubs qualifying for the Europa only to put out a weakened side and get knocked out. They are more interested in just staying in the EPL for the money it brings in.

Of course, we're saying we want Gent / Legia for their seeding...that's assuming they get through the 2nd round too.

Correct the only way is by beating them.

If we draw Legia/KuPS and KuPS beat Legia in the 2nd round then we’d be unseeded.

If say KuPS beat Legia do they not then take Legia’s co-efficient points which would in turn see us take them should we win the tie?

It’s all a bit confusing.

All in know is that none of they seeded teams will want to draw us.

Only Wolves, Legia and Gent would mean we were seeded.
If we don’t play those three then we’re not seeded.
The Danish side could potentially be seeded as they are the 4th highest non-seed currently in round 4.

It's quite unlikely but would require 4 upsets in round 2.

I’d be confident against all of those teams aside from Wolves. Gent would be the obvious one - gets us seeded in round 4 and probably easier than Warsaw
I agree mate, but was the it the 3rd round Burnley struggled to beat the sheep? Wolves are definitely a better technical side but fitness wise we should be way ahead and if the wind blows in the right direction I fancy us to thump them at Ibrox

No complaints

Legia Warsaw please.

Reminder. Lost league to team that has Tom Hateley at centre mid.

If say KuPS beat Legia do they not then take Legia’s co-efficient points which would in turn see us take them should we win the tie?

It's only for the round that the draw takes place during an uncompleted tie (ie us / Progres just now)

If they beat Legia and played us and won, they'd then take our seeding (if its higher than theirs) for the 4th round as that draw is done during the 3rd round when they're playing us

Only Wolves, Legia and Gent would mean we were seeded.
If we don’t play those three then we’re not seeded.

We want a seeded team in the next round, so we take their seeded status going into the playoff (I’m sure that’s how it works).

Going into the playoff unseeded would probably be too much of an ask, given the likely seeded teams we could face.

Gent in the next round, please.

We can't get any of those 3 you've just mentioned. People are saying Gent because they're among the easiest of the teams we've actually been grouped with and they would get us seeded for the 4th round.

1 Wolverhampton Wanderers FC (ENG) / Crusaders FC (NIR)
2 Legia Warszawa (POL) / KuPS Kuopio (FIN)
3 KAA Gent (BEL) / FC Viitorul (ROU)
4 FC Midtjylland (DEN)
5 AZ Alkmaar (NED) / BK Häcken (SWE)
is that horse whisperer lustig no playing with gent now?

No because technically you don’t take the seeding you’re just drawn against a higher seed.

The draw is done in a way to allow clubs to know who they’d be playing in advance due to the short turnaround. This way means that we know who the winner faces before we’ve even played Progrès. If we waited until we knew the Progres result then the draw would be the Friday a maximum of 6 days prior to the tie.

The only way to do that is to use the highest seeding of the two teams. St Joseph’s would’ve looked at us as a chance to face an easier than normal tie in QR2 as we were seeded and they weren’t. (There was a chance of an unseeded St Joseph’s playing an unseeded Progres)

If we ended up playing KuPS it would be enough time to shuffle the seedlings and our 5.525 would take priority over KuPS 1.280 however it wouldn’t make it enough to be seeded.

I hope that makes sense.

There's a lot of bravado around our chances whenever these draws come up.

But realistically, Wolves would be a tough nut to crack. Not impossible but difficult. In saying that the 7th placed English teams traditionally have a torrid record in EL qualifiers. Villa, West Ham twice, Burnley, possibly Southampton - can remember them all being eliminated in the qualifiers. Saying that, Wolves v Rangers would be a fantastic ocassion. I can picture that stand of theirs that faces the cameras full of Rangers fans.

I'd rather the best chance of progression over a grand spectacle though.

No because technically you don’t take the seeding you’re just drawn against a higher seed.

The draw is done in a way to allow clubs to know who they’d be playing in advance due to the short turnaround. This way means that we know who the winner faces before we’ve even played Progrès. If we waited until we knew the Progres result then the draw would be the Friday a maximum of 6 days prior to the tie.

The only way to do that is to use the highest seeding of the two teams. St Joseph’s would’ve looked at us as a chance to face an easier than normal tie in QR2 as we were seeded and they weren’t. (There was a chance of an unseeded St Joseph’s playing an unseeded Progres)

If we ended up playing KuPS it would be enough time to shuffle the seedlings and our 5.525 would take priority over KuPS 1.280 however it wouldn’t make it enough to be seeded.

I hope that makes sense.
It's only for the round that the draw takes place during an uncompleted tie (ie us / Progres just now)

If they beat Legia and played us and won, they'd then take our seeding (if its higher than theirs) for the 4th round as that draw is done during the 3rd round when they're playing us

Cheers lads. I’m with it now :))

There's a lot of bravado around our chances whenever these draws come up.

But realistically, Wolves would be a tough nut to crack. Not impossible but difficult. In saying that the 7th placed English teams traditionally have a torrid record in EL qualifiers. Villa, West Ham twice, Burnley, possibly Southampton - can remember them all being eliminated in the qualifiers. Saying that, Wolves v Rangers would be a fantastic ocassion. I can picture that stand of theirs that faces the cameras full of Rangers fans.

I'd rather the best chance of progression over a grand spectacle though.
I mean without a doubt any of those teams could beat us, the fact we know about all of them tells a story. They are respected teams within European Football (they wouldn’t be seeded otherwise).

What we provide is a guaranteed sell out with a good probably intimidating atmosphere that maybe only the poles are used to.

I think we’re the ones to avoid but I still don’t think they’d fear coming here as we’re still an unknown.

How good are they? They’d need to beat Alkmaar first.

A team we should easily beat in my opinion, but they are a very well run wee club with one of the biggest youth development systems in the whole of Europe. Last 10 years or so they have been in Europe of a good few occasions.

Stadium only holds 6,300 - which will obviously limit the tickets we get.

Happily take any of them except Wolves

Legia are nowhere near the team they once were plus their stadium is class and Warsaw is a decent trip

Gent are also nowhere near the team they once were.

Fancy us against anyone other than Wolves

Wolves be the easiest to get to but they’d knock us out imo.

Hoping for Denmark. 11k stadium, only the regulars going and no neds kicking about. Ideal.

Legia stadium holds quite a fair amount. At least 30k I think.

Sometimes they fill it but not sure what their demand would be for an early qualifier

How do we think the club would handle ticketing should we draw Wolves? It was obviously a few years ago now, but last time we played Man Utd it was pretty much official coaches only. Direct from Ibrox and no tickets given out until we were heading towards the stadium from DW stadium.

So have Legia regressed badly front he team that humiliated Celtic over two legs only to have an admin error screw them?

Surprised at folk wanting them but if they are good seed with a poor current team then makes sense.

I have that feeling we are getting wolves and I think I can already see the brave effort headlines when we narrowly lose out. Hope I’m way wrong as I would fancy us in early season versus mid tier English teams.

Had a wee swatch on the wolves forum and it looks like they class us as being the hardest possible draw and would rather avoid us. I’d agree we would be the hardest draw for them but I’m surprised they’d rather avoid us. I was hoping they would under estimate us if we got them as I could see us doing them over 2 legs if they did that.

Will Wolves take the Europa League seriously? Time and time again you see EPL clubs qualifying for the Europa only to put out a weakened side and get knocked out. They are more interested in just staying in the EPL for the money it brings in.

Difficult to tell honestly. Some teams down there do take it seriously, many don’t like you say.

Like Burnley last year - scraped through against Aberdeen and Istanbul and got scudded in the playoff round and Sean Dyche is still telling folk at Christmas that those 6 games (which ended in late August) were the cause of them being shite for the first half of the season. Definitely a ‘look down your nose’ attitude to it by some.

The EPL does start the weekend after the first leg of QR3, Wolves have Leicester away and interestingly Man United at home after the second leg. Who knows if that would have an impact on team selection though.

Back