Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

If a group of ordinary guys like us can put together this much information (and who knows what's still to emerge?) just from googling old news reports, how much do the so-called 'professional' journalists know?

Are they just crap at their jobs, or are they deliberately withholding crucial information?

Both, I think.

Could you pm me John?

If a group of ordinary guys like us can put together this much information (and who knows what's still to emerge?) just from googling old news reports, how much do the so-called 'professional' journalists know?

Are they just crap at their jobs, or are they deliberately withholding crucial information?

Both, I think.
Depends what they are getting paid for if it is manipulating the news then they are good at their job and repressing as much as they can problem is the source material and the abuse is far too much to keep under wraps and those who try will be as dammed at the original fiends and their conspirators

Going by the info found by @Humbug the fella that wrote that article state’s it was a £250k a year contract,then ties were severed.

Then McCann honoured the last year of the contract and then opted to renew,you have more than enough scope to break a contract on the charges and sentence of Torbett.

McCann came in with new money,he STILL kept business going,there you have it in writing,he KNEW and looks like the info was correct after all,not that I ever disagreed who told me he was more than aware.

Would these accounts of the paper trail be available from CFC annual accounts or at company house showing numbers?

Going by the info found by @Humbug the fella that wrote that article state’s it was a £250k a year contract,then ties were severed.

Then McCann honoured the last year of the contract and then opted to renew,you have more than enough scope to break a contract on the charges and sentence of Torbett.

McCann came in with new money,he STILL kept business going,there you have it in writing,he KNEW and looks like the info was correct after all,not that I ever disagreed who told me he was more than aware.

Would these accounts of the paper trail be available from CFC annual accounts or at company house showing numbers?

@Bobafett Bear I'm sure I seen that the original information came from companies house Edinburgh.

It said on one of the articles we severed all ties with the trophy centre. What was our relationship with Trophy Centre? How much did we pay for services?

We really need the documentary. I remember watching the documentary about us and the ebts, with all the photographs and the string attaching to facts (like a police board). It is very simple but very effective and with all those involved in this heinous crime against children and the subsequent cover up, it's going to be a heck of a big board but will finally raise the awareness to the ordinary people in the street and surely to God there will then be no hiding place for these criminals at parkhead.

Reply from Martin Docherty M.P. (S.N.P.)

FINN, Gareth <gareth.finn@parliament.uk>
To:R.K.

‎18‎ ‎Jul at ‎15‎:‎00

Good Morning R.K.,

Mr Docherty-Hughes wishes to thank you for your email.

You raise a number of serious and valid concerns regarding the incidences of historical child abuse at Celtic Football Club. Mr Docherty-Hughes is very sad to hear of the experience of your acquaintance’s son during his time with Celtic boys club – it is very distressing for all those affected, from the individuals themselves to their loved ones.

The cases of sexual abuse in Scottish football are appalling and will have a profound and long-lasting impact on those who were abused and on the game itself.

The Scottish FA has commissioned a report to look at historical sexual abuse in Scottish football and will be published when current ongoing legal cases are concluded. It is fundamentally important for those victims of this abuse that nothing interferes with the ongoing legal cases and they get the justice that they have been campaigning for.

Once the Scottish FA publishes its report the Scottish Government and MPs will carefully consider its findings before deciding to proceed.

I hope the above offers some background on why Mr Docherty-Hughes will hold off bringing up this issue in the Westminster Parliament.

Gareth Finn
Senior Parliamentary Assistant
Martin Docherty-Hughes MP (SNP)
West Dunbartonshire

Constituency Office:
Suite 1 | 11, Titan Enterprise Centre, 1 Aurora Avenue, Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire, G81 1BF

CELTIC Football Club have refused to sever business links with child molester Jim Torbett.

The club are still awarding lucrative contracts to Torbett's merchandising firm despite his conviction for assaulting young footballers.

Officials promised to review commercial links with millionaire Torbett - who founded Celtic Boys' Club - after he was jailed five months ago.

But his company, The Trophy Centre, continue to supply official club merchandise, including clothing, scarves and mugs.

One of his victims yesterday bitterly criticised the club for continuing to put money into Torbett's pocket.

James McGrory, now 44, was one of three boys molested by Torbett, who was jailed for two years in November.

Mr McGrory's lawyers have written to Celtic to express his horror.

Solicitor Iain Cochrane said: "Mr McGrory was surprised and distressed to discover Celtic's continuing business relationship.

"This was particularly surprising given the club's public comments at the time of the conviction."

Mr Cochrane said the replies from Parkhead had been high-handed and dismissive and the club refused even to confirm that Torbett's company were still winning contracts.

Company secretary Heather Barton merely insisted the club always acted "in the best interests of supporters".

Torbett, 51, was jailed for molesting three young Celtic Boys' Club players.

Sheriff Margaret Gimblett told him: "These children were football mad with stars in their eyes.

"You knew that and betrayed that trust. There can be no hiding place for people who abuse children."

Torbett's abuse was exposed in a series of award-winning Daily Record articles in August 1996.

He used his position as coach to abuse the boys, including Alan Brazil who went on to play for Scotland.

Records at Companies House, in Edinburgh, reveal Torbett remains a director and principal shareholder of The Trophy Centre.

Staff from the firm supported Torbett during his trial and Sheriff Gimblett revealed that only the testimonials they wrote on his behalf saved him from a longer sentence.

Yesterday, Trophy Centre director Gerry McAleer confirmed the company continued to supply Celtic but claimed not to know Torbett's status with the firm.

COPYRIGHT 1999 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday

We really need the documentary. I remember watching the documentary about us and the ebts, with all the photographs and the string attaching to facts (like a police board). It is very simple but very effective and with all those involved in this heinous crime against children and the subsequent cover up, it's going to be a heck of a big board but will finally raise the awareness to the ordinary people in the street and surely to God there will then be no hiding place for these criminals at parkhead.

If you check out a few pages ago Haining84 gave us a comprehensive summary on this mate.
It’s months away but my hope is that it will be massive when ultimately released.

A while back I mentioned that it would be interesting if as stated below ever happened, and how much a year their new suppliers were paid as opposed to the Trophy Centres £250,000?

Please note that the three articles below are from 2002,2000 and 1999. The one from 2000 seems to mention that, (unless I am reading this wrong) despite saying they were going to sever ties with the Trophy centre they actually continued paying them.

I would assume the Financial Controller circa 1999 at the club could have knowledge of this.

CHARLES LAVERY Chief Reporter EXCLUSIVE

CELTIC have severed business links with Jim Torbett, four years after he was jailed for molesting three young footballers.

The club will not renew a controversial pounds 250,000-a-year contract with a firm linked to the paedophile founder of Celtic Boys' Club.

Celtic chairman Ian McLeod ordered all ties to be cut with the Trophy Centre, in Glasgow, and put the contract out to tender.

Club insiders say McLeod was alarmed to discover the club has paid the company more than pounds 1million since millionaire Torbett, 54, was convicted of molesting young starlets, including ex- Scotland star Alan Brazil.

Club officials were told the Trophy Centre contract will not be renewed next week. Torbett made a fortune supplying merchandise, including medals and scarves, to the club.

He resigned his directorship of the Trophy Centre in 2000 after being jailed for two years in November 1998.

But he remains a key figure in the business and his car is regularly seen at Trophy Centre outlets in Glasgow.

Staff answering the phone at the shops last week continued to take messages for him.

A Celtic insider said: "The club has had a long history with the Trophy Centre but a new management has come in and that relationship has not sat comfortably with them.

"There has been work going on behind the scenes and the upshot is that the contract is about to lapse and we will be looking for a new supplier. The new managment were appalled that someone like that was still taking money from Celtic.

"The directors decided someone new will be appointed, but they are angry that they could not get out of the contract earlier.

"They have paid that firm more than pounds 1million in the time since Torbett was convicted and that is appalling."

A spokesman for the club said: "Celtic had a long-term contractual obligation with the Trophy Centre.

"This has now lapsed and we are opening up the supply of our merchandise to tender."

The continuing links between Torbett, 54, and the club were condemned by his victims. A lawyer acting for James McGrory, now 44, had attacked the refusal of the Parkhead club to sever all ties with the Trophy Centre.

Iain Cochrane accused the club of being high-handed and dismissive of his client's concern adding: "Mr McGrory was surprised and distressed to discover Celtic's continuing business relationship."

Torbett was exposed as a child molester in August 1996. He has not been seen at Celtic Park since. He served less than half of his sentence.

COPYRIGHT 2002 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2002 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

CONVICTED paedophile Jim Torbett is raking in a fortune from Celtic FC.

The founder of Celtic Boys' Club was jailed for molesting three young players.

But Celtic Football Club has continued to work closely with the sex offender's company, The Trophy Centre.

They are his biggest clients, worth around pounds 250,000 each year.

Last night the club refused to comment on their contract with Torbett's firm.

But Celtic are under mounting pressure to walk away from the controversial business deal.

One of Torbett's victims David Gordon, 39, now a Glasgow taxi driver, said: "This man is a convicted sex offender and registered paedophile.

"Why the hell are Celtic still doing business with his company?"

Pervert Torbett, 52, was released from Barlinnie prison last November after serving less than half of his two-year sentence.

He was jailed in 1998 for acts of indecency with three young boys.

His victims included Alan Brazil, who went on to become a Scotland star.

But, while he was behind bars, the profits were piling up. As a director, Torbett owns a 95 per cent stake in the company, which stocks football memorabilia.

At the time of Torbett's conviction, former Celtic chief Fergus McCann said he would be "reviewing" the situation.

But the club honoured the remaining year of the contract and opted to renew its relationship with the firm.

It now faces growing criticism, especially as Rangers have cut all ties with The Trophy Centre.

Celtic Boys' Club secretary Robert Wilson said: "I'm sick of this. We just run the boys' teams.

"But how we've still got them after all this I don't know."

COPYRIGHT 2000 MGN LTD
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2000 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

CELTIC Football Club have refused to sever business links with child molester Jim Torbett.

The club are still awarding lucrative contracts to Torbett's merchandising firm despite his conviction for assaulting young footballers.

Officials promised to review commercial links with millionaire Torbett - who founded Celtic Boys' Club - after he was jailed five months ago.

But his company, The Trophy Centre, continue to supply official club merchandise, including clothing, scarves and mugs.

One of his victims yesterday bitterly criticised the club for continuing to put money into Torbett's pocket.

James McGrory, now 44, was one of three boys molested by Torbett, who was jailed for two years in November.

Mr McGrory's lawyers have written to Celtic to express his horror.

Solicitor Iain Cochrane said: "Mr McGrory was surprised and distressed to discover Celtic's continuing business relationship.

"This was particularly surprising given the club's public comments at the time of the conviction."

Mr Cochrane said the replies from Parkhead had been high-handed and dismissive and the club refused even to confirm that Torbett's company were still winning contracts.

Company secretary Heather Barton merely insisted the club always acted "in the best interests of supporters".

Torbett, 51, was jailed for molesting three young Celtic Boys' Club players.

Sheriff Margaret Gimblett told him: "These children were football mad with stars in their eyes.

"You knew that and betrayed that trust. There can be no hiding place for people who abuse children."

Torbett's abuse was exposed in a series of award-winning Daily Record articles in August 1996.

He used his position as coach to abuse the boys, including Alan Brazil who went on to play for Scotland.

Records at Companies House, in Edinburgh, reveal Torbett remains a director and principal shareholder of The Trophy Centre.

Staff from the firm supported Torbett during his trial and Sheriff Gimblett revealed that only the testimonials they wrote on his behalf saved him from a longer sentence.

Yesterday, Trophy Centre director Gerry McAleer confirmed the company continued to supply Celtic but claimed not to know Torbett's status with the firm.

COPYRIGHT 1999 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday
Copyright 1999 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.
I wonder if there is a way to see the value of the new contract after it went out to tender to new suppliers.
£250k seems a lot to be paying them
If the new contract was much less than £250k it would surely mean more questions to be answered

Last edited:
Good morning bears have been reading a lot of the emails on this site since yesterday and looks like SFA have a lot to answer for as they don't seem to be making any moves or progress on there report .Along with Glasgow CC I am thinking a new approach needed by bombarding both with continuous questions regarding there enquiry as to why it's taking them so long ,BE GOOD IF WE COULD ALL DO THIS AT SAME TIME MAYBE A WEEK TODAY AT 10AM THATS 27/7/19 LETS SEE WHAT FEEDBACK WE GET ON THIS AND TRY TO PUSH IT FORWARD.

WATP

I see at the bottom of the link it says a warrant is out for another arrest
Does anyone have any info on this?

The emails between Adam Tomkins & Willie Rennie are interesting Fraser.

In them Tomkins tells Rennie that in his meeting with Ian Maxwell at SFA Maxwell informed him of outstanding cases that would ‘test the veracity’ of the separate entity claim by them.

Separately there are strong rumours that someone is at large in relation to one of these cases.

This could be paedo number SEVEN from the list of Gerry McSherry & Hugh Birt ?

Thanks Tommy, email to New York Times

To:nytnews@nytimes.com

‎22‎ ‎Jul at ‎09‎:‎14

Dear Sir/Madam

I would like to make your news company aware of a National scandal here in Scotland, which is being covered up and ignored by the ruling S.N.P. Government.

There has been a paedophile ring operating at Celtic Football Club for over 4 decades, recently there have been 4 criminal convictions of former employees of Celtic Football Club and Celtic Boys Club.
The Scottish Press & Media have so far been reluctant to print anything relating to this scandal and as mentioned above copious emails have been sent to S.N.P. (M.S.P's & Westminster M.P.'s) with either no reply or a generic standard reply which offers no investigation.

A group of us are fighting for justice for the poor victims one of whom is the son of an acquaintance of mine whose life has been ruined by the beasts who perpetrated the abuse.
We have come up against a brick wall in our country and are looking for wider exposure in order to obtain an apology and compensation from Celtic F.C. for the poor victims, which numerically could run into the Hundreds.

Since there was an alleged report of abuse on U.S. soil by an employee of Celtic F.C. during a Boys Club trip to New Jersey in 1991, i would hope that this scandal may be of interest to your news company, for someone to investigate and highlight this abuse not only in Scotland but also the U.S. , any exposure and help to obtain justice for the poor victims would be greatly appreciated.

The First Minister of Scotland , Nicola Sturgeon and her Justice secretary Humza Yousaff have ignored all correspondence sent to them to date and their silence is deafening.

Thank you,
Yours sincerely
R.K.

The emails between Adam Tomkins & Willie Rennie are interesting Fraser.

In them Tomkins tells Rennie that in his meeting with Ian Maxwell at SFA Maxwell informed him of outstanding cases that would ‘test the veracity’ of the separate entity claim by them.

Separately there are strong rumours that someone is at large in relation to one of these cases.

This could be paedo number SEVEN from the list of Gerry McSherry & Hugh Birt ?
It’s never ending
It’s quite frustrating that the club are not able to be held to account until all these cases are finished as this could go on for years given that there is a good chance that there are at least another 7 out there.

I really hope this documentary that’s being mentioned makes a difference and gets the information to a wider audience.

It really does show what an absolutely cowardly shitbag of a government we have
If this was in America heads would have definitely rolled by now

I really hope that the rumours of American lawyer involvement are true as well

It’s never ending
It’s quite frustrating that the club are not able to be held to account until all these cases are finished as this could go on for years given that there is a good chance that there are at least another 7 out there.

I really hope this documentary that’s being mentioned makes a difference and gets the information to a wider audience.

It really does show what an absolutely cowardly shitbag of a government we have
If this was in America heads would have definitely rolled by now

I really hope that the rumours of American lawyer involvement are true as well

Agree Fraser. I really think the documentary could really blow things wide open.

Haining84’s info is that it is 3 programmes of 90 minutes each. There must be so much in it that another award could be coming to Dan.

Thanks Tommy, email to New York Times

To:nytnews@nytimes.com

‎22‎ ‎Jul at ‎09‎:‎14

Dear Sir/Madam

I would like to make your news company aware of a National scandal here in Scotland, which is being covered up and ignored by the ruling S.N.P. Government.

There has been a paedophile ring operating at Celtic Football Club for over 4 decades, recently there have been 4 criminal convictions of former employees of Celtic Football Club and Celtic Boys Club.
The Scottish Press & Media have so far been reluctant to print anything relating to this scandal and as mentioned above copious emails have been sent to S.N.P. (M.S.P's & Westminster M.P.'s) with either no reply or a generic standard reply which offers no investigation.

A group of us are fighting for justice for the poor victims one of whom is the son of an acquaintance of mine whose life has been ruined by the beasts who perpetrated the abuse.
We have come up against a brick wall in our country and are looking for wider exposure in order to obtain an apology and compensation from Celtic F.C. for the poor victims, which numerically could run into the Hundreds.

Since there was an alleged report of abuse on U.S. soil by an employee of Celtic F.C. during a Boys Club trip to New Jersey in 1991, i would hope that this scandal may be of interest to your news company, for someone to investigate and highlight this abuse not only in Scotland but also the U.S. , any exposure and help to obtain justice for the poor victims would be greatly appreciated.

The First Minister of Scotland , Nicola Sturgeon and her Justice secretary Humza Yousaff have ignored all correspondence sent to them to date and their silence is deafening.

Thank you,
Yours sincerely
R.K.
Mate if you've not sent it yet could you put a link to the Airport meeting on it maybe but well done keep the pressure on

I see at the bottom of the link it says a warrant is out for another arrest
Does anyone have any info on this?

ByKeith McLeod
04:30, 15 JUN 2019

One alleged victim, pictured centre, says he was abused by the coach in the early 1970s (Image: UGC/Daily Record)
Get the biggest Celtic stories by email
Subscribe
See our privacy noticeMore newsletters
A former football coach who claimed to be a scout for Celtic is wanted by police over claims he carried out a string of child sex attacks.

The ‘scout’, now 75, was the subject of a complaint to police in 2015 from a man now in his 60s. Another man later came forward with more claims of abuse.

The coach is alleged to have preyed on children in the 60s and 70s.

It is alleged by his accusers that the scout – who was involved in schools and youth football in Renfrewshire – abused boys repeatedly at a house in Paisley and at a property in Argyll and Bute.

One alleged victim has told the Record that his alleged abuser was friendly with Celtic Boys Club beasts Jim Torbett, 71, and Frank Cairney, 84, who are both now in jail.

Jim Torbett was sentenced to six years in prison for child sex abuse (Image: Daily Record)
READ MORE
Former Celtic chairman claims 'no knowledge' of his business links to Boys' Club sex beast Jim Torbett

He claims the coach tried to impress youngsters with a Celtic ID card signed by a senior figure at the club and describing him as an official scout.

The scout can’t be named for legal reasons but Police Scotland have confirmed there is a warrant for his arrest. Speaking exclusively to the Record, an alleged victim of the scout said: “I was abused by this man over years, repeatedly.

“His power over boys stemmed from the fact that he carried a card saying he was a scout with Celtic FC. He would show it all the time because it gave him status.”

He added: “The abuse happened at a house in Argyll and at my own house in Paisley between 1968 and the early 70s.

“I took this to the police in 2015. They were brilliant in the way they dealt with me but nothing seems to have happened since. I want justice.

“He was a young teacher. All the guys liked him and thought he was a good guy.

“He ran the football team in second year at school and would take boys to Celtic games, in the European Cup.

“At weekends, he would take boys to Argyll. That’s where I was first abused. I remember trying to get to sleep that night wondering what had happened. I was so naive.

READ MORE
Celtic's secret two-year probe into boy's club sex abuse scandal confirmed by Peter Lawwell

“Other boys were there. I believe they were being abused as well. He would take three boys to Argyll at a time.

“A friend of mine, who is sadly deceased now, was also abused. I know of another victim who has spoken to police.”

It is claimed the abuser was so convincing he was able to befriend an alleged victim’s parents to the point where he would stay at their house.

The victim said he tried to commit suicide when he was still being abused as a child. The abuse stopped when he was 14 and he went on to play for the scout’s teams as a young adult.

He says that he and another alleged victim, who is now dead, were contacted by police in the mid-90s. They were asked whether they were abused by the scout.

He said: “I told the police nothing. I then spoke to my friend and asked if he’d been contacted. He said he had but had also said nothing.

“It was the first time we’d talked about the abuse between ourselves. When we were young, it was never talked about. Later I think we tried to remove it from our minds.

“I regret not telling the police in the 90s. Another victim must have contacted them and our testimonies would have helped.

READ MORE
Sex abuse victim to sue Celtic for hundreds of thousands of pounds over lost earnings
“I regret not speaking out then but I had young children and I wanted to forget the whole thing.

“But in later life, I’ve become more and more affected by what went on when I was young. I feel I was robbed of my childhood. Now, I feel robbed of something as simple as justice.”

The witness the scout’s teams would regularly play Torbett’s Celtic BC teams.

He said: “There were boys in our youth teams that went on to play for Torbett or Cairney at Celtic Boys’ Club.

“They had strong links and the scout was clearly friends with both Torbett and Cairney.”

It is feared the perpetrator of the abuse may now be living abroad.

Police Scotland confirmed that a warrant has been issued for the alleged abuser. The Crown Office confirmed that the case is “live”. Celtic FC made no comment.

In May, the Record revealed that Celtic FC investigated and cleared boys’ club leaders in 1986, describing claims against them as “scurrilous”.

Some of Torbett’s abuse of boys happened after that investigation.

Celtic revealed last month that they have been carrying out a new two-year investigation into the abuse claims at Celtic BC.

Both, I think.
Strange that isn't it , every day you come on here for last few months probably something else appears that you don't remember reading about before. We are led to believe on here that certain journalists pull info from FF to put in their paper cause they are too f#cking lazy to do their own investigating so why don't one of you take some time and read all through this thread all 10,000+ posts, join the dots and write a report about it you could even ask for help if you get stuck with the spelling of Celtic Football Club this info or report is that big it won't fill the back page of your rag it will fill every f#cking page of it .....

#tosaynothingspeaksalot

Mate if you've not sent it yet could you put a link to the Airport meeting on it maybe but well done keep the pressure on

Shameful Airport Pact Haunts Us After 5 Years - 19 Aug 96
Daily Record
The secret deal which protected a sex pervert for five years was struck in an American airport cafe. Hours before Celtic Boys' Club were due to fly home, five men sat around a table at bustling Boston airport. There they sealed the shameful pact that has haunted them since.

Frank Cairney - the man who WAS Celtic Boys' Club - agreed to resign and a dingy chapter in Celtic's history was born. A young player had claimed he had been touched sexually by Cairney while in bed. Now the other four men who were part of that airport deal, former chairman Jim McNally and officials Bill Gilfillan, John Gallacher and Willie Hampson, have decided to speak about it for the first time.

McNally, speaking for all four, said: "Apart from sworn statements to Celtic and the police, none of us has ever spoken about what happened. It has been painful and has taken a great toll on all of our lives. Players had been staying in the homes of ex-pat Celtic fans in Kearney, New Jersey, in 1991 for a showpiece tournament. Two were living with exiled Scot, Pat Brannigan.

Pat Brannigan told me that a boy had made a serious allegation against Frank Cairney. I interviewed the boy after Pat Brannigan came for me very early in the morning. Pat and his wife Diane were there. I asked a second boy who was also staying at Pat's house to leave the room.

The first lad was very distraught. He repeated the allegation of a sexual nature against Frank Cairney. He said it happened in Pat Brannigan's basement where the boys were sleeping. Frank had been staying at a hotel nearby. But it wouldn't have been unusual for him to be in the house because he always went around to where the boys were staying, to make sure they were all right.

Initially I found the whole thing hard to believe. I had never experienced anything like that before in my life. I honestly thought and hoped it was horseplay that had got out of hand a wee bit. Immediately I talked to the other three officials. I told them what had happened. We were visiting a theme park that day and I got the senior players together and told them what had happened.

They already knew. I asked them if they would keep their eye on this lad until we got things sorted out. We decided that we would talk to Frank Cairney and we did. He very forcibly, strenuously denied the allegation. He was very angry. He said nothing happened.

While we were talking about it, Pat Brannigan arrived and said he had spoken to his lawyer and the police. I also spoke to Pat's lawyer about the procedure and what we would do. I asked him what would happen if the boy made a formal complaint. And what he told me was the real shocker of the whole thing.

He said that Frank Cairney would be charged and that the boy, and the other boy who was staying in the house, would be put in protective custody. I was absolutely shattered about that. There was no way I could have landed at Glasgow Airport and told two sets of parents that their boys weren't there.

After that meeting I immediately contacted Celtic, but it was the Glasgow Fair and I had a terrible job trying to get a hold of people. I tried Jack McGinn, Jimmy Farrell (Celtic directors), but could not get them. I then phoned Sean McMullen and Bobby Creilly, two other boys' club officials.

I told them what had happened and I told them of my fear that the boys would be taken into protective custody and that this wasn't for me or even the boy to decide what they should do. I felt his parents should make that decision. This was the Thursday and we were due home on the Sunday.

We also booked three tickets to be held just in case the boy wanted home early. I spoke to the lad at regular intervals and he opted to stay at Brannigan's. He seemed to be coping. He continued to play in the tournament. I've always admired the boy and how he coped with all of this.

He was only 16 at the time. He actually started officially playing for Celtic on the Monday after he returned home. If the police interviewed the boy I wasn't aware of it. I think Pat Brannigan felt we weren't handling it correctly. But the reason we handled it the way we did was because I didn't believe it was up to me to decide what to do.

Eventually there was a meeting with the boy's parents which Creilly and McMullen had been trying to arrange. We left Kennedy Airport, New York, on Sunday, but still there was no word. We stopped over at Boston and this is where it all happened. There was a message at Boston for me to phone home.

I was told the meeting had concluded and the outcome was that the boy's parents were quite happy to leave the matter in Celtic's hands, provided Frank Cairney resigned from the boys' club on returning. Myself, Willie Hampson, Bill Gilfillan and John Gallacher, the four officials, met in the cafe at Boston airport and we told Frank Cairney what we had been advised.

He agreed to resign when he went home. We arrived at Glasgow and went straight to the park. Jack McGinn organised a meeting at 11am with Frank Cairney and a meeting with me at 2pm. At that meeting, he gave me a copy of Frank Cairney's resignation which said he had resigned because he had got promotion in his company and the pressure of work.

We were still concerned that we weren't quite covered, so we individually consulted lawyers and collectively spoke to a QC for advice. He asked if we could produce any more boys who could quote incidents from anywhere at any time. But we knew we couldn't do that.

The boy told me what happened. I cannot say what happened. But the parents wanted the boy to get on with his career and get on with his life, once they had been given assurances he was coping. We were never sworn to secrecy. The boy asked us not to talk about it and we respected his wishes."

The deal they had to be part of has left them sad, jaundiced men. All have since left Celtic Boys' Club.

Celtic last night set up a counselling service to provide support for families struggling to cope with the trauma of the Boys' Club revelations.

Celtic chairman Fergus McCann said: "Celtic Football Club has been receiving many calls from people and families in distress over the alleged incidents. In addition to asking people to report allegations to the police, it is obvious many need advice of trained specialists."

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Sham...after+5+years;+EXCLUSIVE:+Truth...-a061256232

ByKeith McLeod
04:30, 15 JUN 2019

One alleged victim, pictured centre, says he was abused by the coach in the early 1970s (Image: UGC/Daily Record)
Get the biggest Celtic stories by email
Subscribe
See our privacy noticeMore newsletters
A former football coach who claimed to be a scout for Celtic is wanted by police over claims he carried out a string of child sex attacks.

The ‘scout’, now 75, was the subject of a complaint to police in 2015 from a man now in his 60s. Another man later came forward with more claims of abuse.

The coach is alleged to have preyed on children in the 60s and 70s.

It is alleged by his accusers that the scout – who was involved in schools and youth football in Renfrewshire – abused boys repeatedly at a house in Paisley and at a property in Argyll and Bute.

One alleged victim has told the Record that his alleged abuser was friendly with Celtic Boys Club beasts Jim Torbett, 71, and Frank Cairney, 84, who are both now in jail.

Jim Torbett was sentenced to six years in prison for child sex abuse (Image: Daily Record)
READ MORE
Former Celtic chairman claims 'no knowledge' of his business links to Boys' Club sex beast Jim Torbett

He claims the coach tried to impress youngsters with a Celtic ID card signed by a senior figure at the club and describing him as an official scout.

The scout can’t be named for legal reasons but Police Scotland have confirmed there is a warrant for his arrest. Speaking exclusively to the Record, an alleged victim of the scout said: “I was abused by this man over years, repeatedly.

“His power over boys stemmed from the fact that he carried a card saying he was a scout with Celtic FC. He would show it all the time because it gave him status.”

He added: “The abuse happened at a house in Argyll and at my own house in Paisley between 1968 and the early 70s.

“I took this to the police in 2015. They were brilliant in the way they dealt with me but nothing seems to have happened since. I want justice.

“He was a young teacher. All the guys liked him and thought he was a good guy.

“He ran the football team in second year at school and would take boys to Celtic games, in the European Cup.

“At weekends, he would take boys to Argyll. That’s where I was first abused. I remember trying to get to sleep that night wondering what had happened. I was so naive.

READ MORE
Celtic's secret two-year probe into boy's club sex abuse scandal confirmed by Peter Lawwell

“Other boys were there. I believe they were being abused as well. He would take three boys to Argyll at a time.

“A friend of mine, who is sadly deceased now, was also abused. I know of another victim who has spoken to police.”

It is claimed the abuser was so convincing he was able to befriend an alleged victim’s parents to the point where he would stay at their house.

The victim said he tried to commit suicide when he was still being abused as a child. The abuse stopped when he was 14 and he went on to play for the scout’s teams as a young adult.

He says that he and another alleged victim, who is now dead, were contacted by police in the mid-90s. They were asked whether they were abused by the scout.

He said: “I told the police nothing. I then spoke to my friend and asked if he’d been contacted. He said he had but had also said nothing.

“It was the first time we’d talked about the abuse between ourselves. When we were young, it was never talked about. Later I think we tried to remove it from our minds.

“I regret not telling the police in the 90s. Another victim must have contacted them and our testimonies would have helped.

READ MORE
Sex abuse victim to sue Celtic for hundreds of thousands of pounds over lost earnings
“I regret not speaking out then but I had young children and I wanted to forget the whole thing.

“But in later life, I’ve become more and more affected by what went on when I was young. I feel I was robbed of my childhood. Now, I feel robbed of something as simple as justice.”

The witness the scout’s teams would regularly play Torbett’s Celtic BC teams.

He said: “There were boys in our youth teams that went on to play for Torbett or Cairney at Celtic Boys’ Club.

“They had strong links and the scout was clearly friends with both Torbett and Cairney.”

It is feared the perpetrator of the abuse may now be living abroad.

Police Scotland confirmed that a warrant has been issued for the alleged abuser. The Crown Office confirmed that the case is “live”. Celtic FC made no comment.

In May, the Record revealed that Celtic FC investigated and cleared boys’ club leaders in 1986, describing claims against them as “scurrilous”.

Some of Torbett’s abuse of boys happened after that investigation.

Celtic revealed last month that they have been carrying out a new two-year investigation into the abuse claims at Celtic BC.

Thanks Humbug

I suspect their new PR company will be all over this trying to avoid any coverage

Daily Record
The secret deal which protected a sex pervert for five years was struck in an American airport cafe. Hours before Celtic Boys' Club were due to fly home, five men sat around a table at bustling Boston airport. There they sealed the shameful pact that has haunted them since.

Frank Cairney - the man who WAS Celtic Boys' Club - agreed to resign and a dingy chapter in Celtic's history was born. A young player had claimed he had been touched sexually by Cairney while in bed. Now the other four men who were part of that airport deal, former chairman Jim McNally and officials Bill Gilfillan, John Gallacher and Willie Hampson, have decided to speak about it for the first time.

McNally, speaking for all four, said: "Apart from sworn statements to Celtic and the police, none of us has ever spoken about what happened. It has been painful and has taken a great toll on all of our lives. Players had been staying in the homes of ex-pat Celtic fans in Kearney, New Jersey, in 1991 for a showpiece tournament. Two were living with exiled Scot, Pat Brannigan.

Pat Brannigan told me that a boy had made a serious allegation against Frank Cairney. I interviewed the boy after Pat Brannigan came for me very early in the morning. Pat and his wife Diane were there. I asked a second boy who was also staying at Pat's house to leave the room.

The first lad was very distraught. He repeated the allegation of a sexual nature against Frank Cairney. He said it happened in Pat Brannigan's basement where the boys were sleeping. Frank had been staying at a hotel nearby. But it wouldn't have been unusual for him to be in the house because he always went around to where the boys were staying, to make sure they were all right.

Initially I found the whole thing hard to believe. I had never experienced anything like that before in my life. I honestly thought and hoped it was horseplay that had got out of hand a wee bit. Immediately I talked to the other three officials. I told them what had happened. We were visiting a theme park that day and I got the senior players together and told them what had happened.

They already knew. I asked them if they would keep their eye on this lad until we got things sorted out. We decided that we would talk to Frank Cairney and we did. He very forcibly, strenuously denied the allegation. He was very angry. He said nothing happened.

While we were talking about it, Pat Brannigan arrived and said he had spoken to his lawyer and the police. I also spoke to Pat's lawyer about the procedure and what we would do. I asked him what would happen if the boy made a formal complaint. And what he told me was the real shocker of the whole thing.

He said that Frank Cairney would be charged and that the boy, and the other boy who was staying in the house, would be put in protective custody. I was absolutely shattered about that. There was no way I could have landed at Glasgow Airport and told two sets of parents that their boys weren't there.

After that meeting I immediately contacted Celtic, but it was the Glasgow Fair and I had a terrible job trying to get a hold of people. I tried Jack McGinn, Jimmy Farrell (Celtic directors), but could not get them. I then phoned Sean McMullen and Bobby Creilly, two other boys' club officials.

I told them what had happened and I told them of my fear that the boys would be taken into protective custody and that this wasn't for me or even the boy to decide what they should do. I felt his parents should make that decision. This was the Thursday and we were due home on the Sunday.

We also booked three tickets to be held just in case the boy wanted home early. I spoke to the lad at regular intervals and he opted to stay at Brannigan's. He seemed to be coping. He continued to play in the tournament. I've always admired the boy and how he coped with all of this.

He was only 16 at the time. He actually started officially playing for Celtic on the Monday after he returned home. If the police interviewed the boy I wasn't aware of it. I think Pat Brannigan felt we weren't handling it correctly. But the reason we handled it the way we did was because I didn't believe it was up to me to decide what to do.

Eventually there was a meeting with the boy's parents which Creilly and McMullen had been trying to arrange. We left Kennedy Airport, New York, on Sunday, but still there was no word. We stopped over at Boston and this is where it all happened. There was a message at Boston for me to phone home.

I was told the meeting had concluded and the outcome was that the boy's parents were quite happy to leave the matter in Celtic's hands, provided Frank Cairney resigned from the boys' club on returning. Myself, Willie Hampson, Bill Gilfillan and John Gallacher, the four officials, met in the cafe at Boston airport and we told Frank Cairney what we had been advised.

He agreed to resign when he went home. We arrived at Glasgow and went straight to the park. Jack McGinn organised a meeting at 11am with Frank Cairney and a meeting with me at 2pm. At that meeting, he gave me a copy of Frank Cairney's resignation which said he had resigned because he had got promotion in his company and the pressure of work.

We were still concerned that we weren't quite covered, so we individually consulted lawyers and collectively spoke to a QC for advice. He asked if we could produce any more boys who could quote incidents from anywhere at any time. But we knew we couldn't do that.

The boy told me what happened. I cannot say what happened. But the parents wanted the boy to get on with his career and get on with his life, once they had been given assurances he was coping. We were never sworn to secrecy. The boy asked us not to talk about it and we respected his wishes."

The deal they had to be part of has left them sad, jaundiced men. All have since left Celtic Boys' Club.

Celtic last night set up a counselling service to provide support for families struggling to cope with the trauma of the Boys' Club revelations.

Celtic chairman Fergus McCann said: "Celtic Football Club has been receiving many calls from people and families in distress over the alleged incidents. In addition to asking people to report allegations to the police, it is obvious many need advice of trained specialists."

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Shameful+airport+pact+haunts+us+after+5+years;+EXCLUSIVE:+Truth...-a061256232
I sent the above to the New York Times and Boston Globe a couple of weeks ago along with another email.

I know the man personally. He will not report it. He will go after them first. He was on FF up until about a month ago.

Mate, I’d advise him against doing that. I can understand his anger, but at the end of the day he’ll be the one in serious trouble. Tell him not to risk wrecking his life by doing anything daft. As much as it may go against his principles, tell him to report it to the proper authorities. That in itself will temper his actions.

Daily Record

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Shameful+airport+pact+haunts+us+after+5+years;+EXCLUSIVE:+Truth...-a061256232

“Whilst there is no legal requirement to report a crime, there is a moral duty on everyone of us to report to the police any crime or anything we suspect may be a crime.”

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q514.htm

They exist in a moral vacuum

Daily Record

There is no more damaging story for them than this one yet it doesn’t seem to have been followed up

1. It shows that Celtic FC were making decisions for the boys club
2. What did Celtic FC say to the parents that made them leave matters in the clubs hands
3. Has anyone spoken to Pat Brannigan since to get his story
4. Why were the police never informed so as to prevent Cairney offending again
5. Why would Jack McGinn be involved with the resignation if they were a separate entity
6. They state that they were not concerned that they were quite covered- that just goes to show that their only concern was for themselves and not the welfare of the kids or to prevent further offending
7. Why did Celtic FC set up a counselling service if they were a separate entity

Lots of questions need answered and this is only one of many many many incidents

They will deny. They will deflect. That’s what they do. A two year internal investigation ( in their words) is an attempt of damage limitation. They have tried to separate the club from the boys club. And then they prove their guilt by the announcement of St pats. They know they are guilty. Mrs Gray and others know they are guilty. There is a member on here that grew up with Andrew Gray. A member who is his best friend to this day. A man who is fighting for justice for his pal who is now not with us anymore.
And then we have a shameful Scottish press. A political party that governs our country that have no intention of upsetting the Scottish republicans. A justice secretary that is out for his own means and can openly support his club but not support the people who need his support. We live in a country of political corruption. That’s been proved to me and a few others who have been in contact with Andrew’s pal and the gray family. Please believe me that there are people on here that are willing no matter what to do whatever it takes to get justice.
I’m not scared of lurkers. Believe me I’ve had them contact me. I’m not scared of being questioned by anyone on this subject. I’m doing it for a member on here who I met and told me his best pal and his family have been let down by the club that they loved.
Now we are getting somewhere. This thread has more than 10,000 posts. More and more people getting involved and especially to us being active in contacting various organisations. There are a lot of intelligent people on this thread. People that are going out their way to get justice. And we will get justice. And hopefully certain individuals that are in the government in Scotland will be brought to justice also. We need the inquiry to do so.

Just on and the first post I read. Brilliant post and I agree 100% with your sentiments.

We're all genuinely disgusted and stunned at the lack of support for the victims and their families, even from the Government owing to their own personal/political agendas, yet relatively, as supporters, it affects us a lot less in the grand scheme of things, compared to the people who have been abandoned to try and deal with it as best they could. They're the people who have had to live it and respect to each and every one of them in the dignity they've shown throughout. I hope they get everything they wish for and that it brings them some peace. NOBODY should deny them that.

Keep doing what you and many or here are already doing BN. Respect to you too mate and to the others. They know who they are. We need to help collectively to strengthen their case by whatever means we can. ONE email, or ONE letter, really does make a difference. Imagine if we all did just that.

Daily Record

Lol I would have done it but not got a clue how too

Sent to Boston Globe and New York Times a couple of weeks ago.

Reference my last email to you I would like to give you some more information on the subject.

Daily Record

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Sham...after+5+years;+EXCLUSIVE:+Truth...-a061256232

Thank you again for taking the time to read my email and I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

this is the information i have on the new york times and boston globe newspapers...there are email addresses and also a general email address....feel free to take your pick and fire off emails to them and hopefully someone will pick it up and run with it.

EMAIL ADDRESSES FOR NEW YORK TIMES & JOURNALISTS:

NYTNEWS@NYTIMES.COM
BENJAMIN WEISNER – WEISNER@NYTIMES.COM

JOURNALISTS & EXECUTIVES OF NEW YORK TIMES. (SEND EMAILS TO NYTNEWS@NYTIMES.COM MARKED FOR THEIR ATTENTION).

DEAN BAQUET – EXECUTIVE EDITOR
JOSEPH KHAN – MANAGING EDITOR
REBECCA BLUMENSTEIN – DEPUTY MANAGING EDITOR
TOM BODKIN – DREATIVE DIRECTOR
MATTHEW PURDY – DEPUTY MANAGING EDITOR
REBECCA CORBETT – ASSISTANT EDITOR
SAM DONICK – ASSISTANT MANAGING EDITOR
MONICA DRAKE – ASSISTANT MANAGING EDITOR
STEVE DUENESS – ASSISTANT MANAGING EDITOR
ALEXANDRA MAC CALLUM – ASSISTANT EDITOR
MICHELL MC NALLY – ASSISTANT EDITOR
ALISON MITCHELL -ASSISTANT MANAGING EDITOR
CAROLYN RYAN – ASSISTANT MANAGING EDITOR
MATT ERICSON – ASSISTANT MANAGING EDITOR
CLIFFORD.J.LEVY – ASSOCIATE MANAGING EDITOR
JAMES BENNET – EDITORIAL PAGE EDITOR
JAMES DAO – DEPUTY EDITORIAL PAGE EDITOR
KATHLEEN KINGSBURY – DEPUTY EDITORIAL PAGE EDITOR
ARTHUR OCHS SULZBERGER JR – CHAIRMAN OF THE NEW YORK TIMES
A.G.SULZBERGER – PUBLISHER
MARK THOMPSON – PRESIDENT & CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
MEREDITH KOPIT – EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT & CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
ROLAND A.CAPUTO – EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT AND CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
NEW YORK TIMES EMPLOYEES CONTINUED:

DIANE BRAYTON – GENERAL COUNSEL & SECRETARY
NICK ROCKWELL – CHIEF TECHNOLOGY OFFICER
ELLEN C. SHULTZ – EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT TALENT AND INCLUSION
WILLIAM T.BARDEEN – SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT – STRATEGY AND DEVELOPMENT
R.ANTHONY BENTEN – SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT – TREASURER AND CONTROLLER
STEPHEN DUNBAR – JOHNSON – PRESIDENT INTERNATIONAL
LAURA EVANS – SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT – DATA AND INSIGHTS
TERRYL.HAYES – SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT - LABOR RELATIONS AND FACILITIES

BOSTON GLOBE EMAIL ADRESSES AND JOURNALISTS:

PATRICIA.WEN@GLOBE.COM
TODD.WALLACK@GLOBE.COM
SPOTLIGHT@GLOBE.COM
DAVID ABEL – REPORTER
PETER ABRAHAM – REPORTER
YVONNE ABRAHAM – REPORTER
DUN ADAMS – REPORTER
SCOTT ALLEN – ASSISTANT MANAGING EDITOR PROJECTS
EVAN ALLEN – REPORTER
TRAVIS ANDERSEN – REPORTER
LESLIE ANDERSON – REGIONAL EDITOR
STEVE ANNEAR – REPORTER
DUGAN ARNETT – REPORTER
MARK ARSENAULT – REPORTER
DON AUCOIN – THEATRE CRITIC
MICHAEL J.BAILEY – ASSISTANT NIGHT EDITOR
PETER BAILEY-WELLS – PRODUCER
BILLY BAKER – REPORTER
MEGHAN BARR – ARTICLES EDITOR
LESLEY BECKER – DESIGN EDITOR
MICHAEL BELLO – DEPUTY CITY EDITOR
JULLIAN BENHOW- REPORTER

i will be firing out some emails over next few days and see what bites i can get.

Cheers Tommy. You're an absolute star mate and I'm grabbing that for later in the week. Keep it going. I'm sure it IS making a difference,

Back