Allan McGregor and Our Style of Play

Necro

I'm not expecting this thread to go very well but it's something I think we need to consider, so here it goes

I'll say this just to avoid as much abuse as possible, McGregor is the best shot stopper in the league and one of the best in Rangers history, I dont think many people would deny that.

His biggest weakness is his distribution and our style of play emphasises it ridiculously, he takes forever to initiate counter attacks and seemingly only has a long ball out to Tavernier in his locker, even that is only successful about 50% of the time.

So far from games this season, it looks like we're planning on being a lot more possession based in an attempt to drag teams up the pitch and create space, for this to be as effective as possible it would be ideal to have a keeper with a better than average range of passing.

Considering that we should be planning for the long term future of that position anyway, should we be looking to bring someone in who can perform better in this aspect sooner rather than later?

Best GK in the country, that'll do for me.

Saved us numerous times last year and would never have gotten through to the EL group stages without him.
He was an absolute godsend at the start of the season but in my opinion he conceded quite a few goals you'd expect him to save over the course of the year

He was an absolute godsend at the start of the season but in my opinion he conceded quite a few goals you'd expect him to save over the course of the year

I get what your saying but the guy is still top drawer and still the best GK at the club.

He’s a goal keeper not a play maker. If we want a tidy footballer between the sticks - why not put a pair of goalie gloves on Davis.

The issues with his distribution on this forum are overrated imo. He’s shown to be quite cable of accurately pinging the ball out to the full-back and has the necessary technical ability. Not as strong as Foderingham but that’s Foderingham’s strongest area. And as for always hitting it out to the full-back, do you not think that’s because the manager has instructed him to do so and if Gerrard had a problem with it, he would’ve told him to stop at some point over the course of an entire season?

The aimless pinpoint ball to Tav to start Ryan Kents goal at Parkhead ok for you ?
That's virtually the only instance of it being effective.

He did it like 10 times that game and it resulted in lost possession more often than not

I'm unconvinced if Foderingham is the answer, we saw him play it out from the back a lot under Warburton and the defenders couldn't handle the task.

Interested to see if our current group would make him look better at it
Not saying he is the answer. But did you see the shite he had in front of him

McGregor is by far the best keeper we have and best keeper in the country. When we do replace him I am sure the management team will look at a keeper who can play the ball out. You are more likely to get a younger player who has been brought up doing this than an older experienced one like McGregor.

As does every goalkeeper throughout a season. Look at the goals De Gea conceded last season and he is in the top five in the world

Give me a keeper who will save you 10 points a season and maybe not be great with distribution than a keeper who can ping the ball 60 yards onto the full back's toe but lose you 10 points a season.

Foderingham is a decent keeper but McGregor is on another level and he proved that last season.

All of the best teams in the world have keepers who's job it is to retain possession and initiate attacks
I do think you make a valid point overall but the problem is the best teams in the world have a hell of a lot more money than us.

Although I do think this will be his last season as our No 1

Give me a keeper who will save you 10 points a season and maybe not be great with distribution than a keeper who can ping the ball 60 yards onto the full back's toe but lose you 10 points a season.

Foderingham is a decent keeper but McGregor is on another level and he proved that last season.
McGregor definitely didnt prove that over the course of the season, amazing form at the start and then fell off considerably.

I suspect fan opinion will start to shift on him a it this year

He was our goal keeper when we got to the UEFA final. Playing a defence style. He can clearly start attacks which Gerrard requires from him

I'm not expecting this thread to go very well but it's something I think we need to consider, so here it goes

I'll say this just to avoid as much abuse as possible, McGregor is the best shot stopper in the league and one of the best in Rangers history, I dont think many people would deny that.

His biggest weakness is his distribution and our style of play emphasises it ridiculously, he takes forever to initiate counter attacks and seemingly only has a long ball out to Tavernier in his locker, even that is only successful about 50% of the time.

So far from games this season, it looks like we're planning on being a lot more possession based in an attempt to drag teams up the pitch and create space, for this to be as effective as possible it would be ideal to have a keeper with a better than average range of passing.

Considering that we should be planning for the long term future of that position anyway, should we be looking to bring someone in who can perform better in this aspect sooner rather than later?
No ..... And tell your local shopkeeper to stop selling you glue ...... Sorry Mate

IMO this will be McGregors last year with us . Least as first choice. If he starts well he deserves to be no1 if he doesn’t then Wes deserves his chance. Next summer a no1 would be a priority for me

He's a goalkeeper, his job is keep the ball out the net.
And he’s part of a team.

The team’s job is to win matches. Keeping the ball out of the net is only one part of that equation.

There’s a reason Liverpool and Man City spent so much on their first choice keepers. And it wasn’t for shot stopping alone.

If you could give McGregor Wes's distribution and ability at cross balls, then you'd have the perfect keeper.

For me McGregor is still our number 1, but Wes is an excellent keeper and not far behind him.
I personally view distribution as the most important trait considering our style of play and opposition tactics

I'd be more inclined to play Wes against teams that press high in numbers.

So Europe basically.

Almost no one bothers our keeper or centre halves in Scotland.

Goal keeper are there to make make saves. Distribution should be one of the last things we should be focusing on when looking for the next keeper.

I get you, you're absolutely right.

I also believe that might be why we conceded a lot of long range goals, I can't remember many even being attempted against us last season

I get it

This absolutely does not occur to you

A player sees Wes Foderingham in goal and immediately thinks ‘shoot’. There is no other explanation.

Rangers will not win a trophy with him in goal

‘Better in possession’ but only moment of any note, of any meaning, is him falling over a ball in possession against Ayr and putting us one down in a cup tie.

Big games ? Balls flying past him in the middle of the goal against Progres Niederkorn, Hibs in a Cup Final and umpteen Celtic games.

Allan McGregor, apparently crap in possession but creates us a goal with 10 men at Parkhead and has yet to concede against them at Ibrox.

Players that deliver, you just remember them delivering.

Players that don’t deliver you scramble about all day over thinking the most irrelevant intricacy to make them seem passable.

Unlike James Tavernier, who was similarly inept in Warburtons latter stages, Wes doesnt play a position where you can gamble and give him another long term go. We don’t have 10 points to toss away.

Rangers next goalkeeper will be proven quality, unless Robby McCrorie is special on loan.

I get it

This absolutely does not occur to you

A player sees Wes Foderingham in goal and immediately thinks ‘shoot’. There is no other explanation.

Rangers will not win a trophy with him in goal

‘Better in possession’ but only moment of any note, of any meaning, is him falling over a ball in possession against Ayr and putting us one down in a cup tie.

Big games ? Balls flying past him in the middle of the goal against Progres Niederkorn, Hibs in a Cup Final and umpteen Celtic games.

Allan McGregor, apparently crap in possession but creates us a goal with 10 men at Parkhead and has yet to concede against them at Ibrox.

Players that deliver, you just remember them delivering.

Players that don’t deliver you scramble about all day over thinking the most irrelevant intricacy to make them seem passable.

Unlike James Tavernier, who was similarly inept in Warburtons latter stages, Wes doesnt play a position where you can gamble and give him another long term go. We don’t have 10 points to toss away.

Rangers next goalkeeper will be proven quality, unless Robby McCrorie is special on loan.
I dont want to be a dick but I stopped reading at "teams think shoot when wes is in goal"

We conceded so many long shots because our shape allowed for them, I cant remember any even being attempted against us last season let alone scored

That's virtually the only instance of it being effective.

He did it like 10 times that game and it resulted in lost possession more often than not

If he got the long pass wrong 9/10 times how many were knocked out by opposition defenders in a deep attacking position? Probably the majority but us being sh!te at throw ins is another thread on it's own.
If there was the perfect combination of shot stopping and distribution, that each keeper has, they would probably cost a fortune and be playing elsewhere unless they came through the ranks.

Back