Allan McGregor and Our Style of Play

Wes offers more domestically for me also
I disagree.

I don't think McGregor is worth sacrificing in general, as he is a much better shot stopper and communicator and all around 'traditional' keeper.

Wes is far too slow to get down to long range efforts.

However, if I was to play Wes more, I see little benefit in doing so in Scotland. McGregor will be put under very little pressure in possession and when he is, he's actually improved at clearing it to the full backs on the wings a fair bit.

I agree with your point on philosophy and our next keeper being better on the deck though.

The replies to the OP show just how stuck in the past some people are. McGregor's biggest weakness is his distribution, so many times last season we missed the opportunity of a quick counter because of it. No one is saying he's a poor goalie, it's just a weakness to his game. Everyone has them. On the other hand, he won us points with top drawer saves. It's something we'll need to consider soon.

Best keeper we had was Watterus who was fantastic with his distribution.

The goalie is now a sweeper and playmaker in most teams in England. The big punt just returns possession to the other half.

McGregor definitely didnt prove that over the course of the season, amazing form at the start and then fell off considerably.

I suspect fan opinion will start to shift on him a it this year
His form did drop off. Around the shit with the sfa and him getting furious at the world.

Mcgregor is a far superior goalkeeper it’s actaully mental that people want Foderingham to start before him because he has better distribution.
McGregor is approaching 40 and has serious weaknesses that our style of play highlight, it's more mental to reject the conversation

McG is one of our main players.

Absolutely no concerns re. him. The management won't have any, either.

Key, player.

McG is one of our main players.

Absolutely no concerns re. him. The management won't have any, either.

Key, player.
This is it.

Nothing wrong with discussion but for all the Tav, Jack and now McGregor posts the key thing is the manager sees them as absolute key men and they will always play.

If you wouldn't......................tough.

Thought Wes put to bed the myth that he was to blame for conceding all those goals against the mentally challengeds with the game against them at the end of the season there?

Boggles my mind that people are using that as a stick to beat him with when he had defenders like Russell Martin, Philippe Senderos and Rob Kiernan in front of him.

I've always been a fan of McGregor but his form definitely dipped in the second half of last season and he let us down with the silly wee kick outs at people.

I'd like to see Wes given an opportunity to earn the gloves as part of a much more reliable defence with Gerrard in charge. Reckon he would surprise a lot of people.

As I said previously, people used to say this about the fullback position when criticising Tavernier.
Man City signed Claudio bravo because he had good distribution and then after a few months he was shipping alot of goals in and then they got rid because he wasn’t actually very good at the main job of a keeper. It costs millions to get a keeper that has it all in his locker.

Man City signed Claudio bravo because he had good distribution and then after a few months he was shipping alot of goals in and then they got rid because he wasn’t actually very good at the main job of a keeper. It costs millions to get a keeper that has it all in his locker.
Then they signed Ederson who is the best In the world with the ball at his feet and won the trebel

I get it

This absolutely does not occur to you

A player sees Wes Foderingham in goal and immediately thinks ‘shoot’. There is no other explanation.

Rangers will not win a trophy with him in goal

‘Better in possession’ but only moment of any note, of any meaning, is him falling over a ball in possession against Ayr and putting us one down in a cup tie.

Big games ? Balls flying past him in the middle of the goal against Progres Niederkorn, Hibs in a Cup Final and umpteen Celtic games.

Allan McGregor, apparently crap in possession but creates us a goal with 10 men at Parkhead and has yet to concede against them at Ibrox.

Players that deliver, you just remember them delivering.

Players that don’t deliver you scramble about all day over thinking the most irrelevant intricacy to make them seem passable.

Unlike James Tavernier, who was similarly inept in Warburtons latter stages, Wes doesnt play a position where you can gamble and give him another long term go. We don’t have 10 points to toss away.

Rangers next goalkeeper will be proven quality, unless Robby McCrorie is special on loan.
As much as I really like shagger, he became a liability in a few pressure games last season.

The trouble is great shot stoppers who can also play with the ball at their feet cost a fortune. Mcgregors a great keeper but he's getting on now and there's every chance his form will drop. I expect this will be his last season as no. 1 and would imagine Gerrard will be looking to bring in a more football friendly keeper at the time. Having said that I think Wes has every chance to prove he can take the gloves.

I obviously wasn't suggesting we sign Ederson mate.

Just illustrating how having a keeper that fits your style of play makes the world of difference.
Bravo fitted city’s style of play but he was a shite keeper and that’s why they got shot of him.

If you could give McGregor Wes's distribution and ability at cross balls, then you'd have the perfect keeper.

For me McGregor is still our number 1, but Wes is an excellent keeper and not far behind him.

West isn't an excellent keeper, he's pretty average. The amount of shots hit at him from distance that he should be saving but doesn't is one of the main reasons he lost his place as soon as a competent manager came in.

Bravo fitted city’s style of play but he was a shite keeper and that’s why they got shot of him.
He was shite due to his age, he was previously top class.

Incidentally, McGregor is also at an age where he can drop off at any time, he showed signs of it last season

I get it

This absolutely does not occur to you

A player sees Wes Foderingham in goal and immediately thinks ‘shoot’. There is no other explanation.

Rangers will not win a trophy with him in goal

‘Better in possession’ but only moment of any note, of any meaning, is him falling over a ball in possession against Ayr and putting us one down in a cup tie.

Big games ? Balls flying past him in the middle of the goal against Progres Niederkorn, Hibs in a Cup Final and umpteen Celtic games.

Allan McGregor, apparently crap in possession but creates us a goal with 10 men at Parkhead and has yet to concede against them at Ibrox.

Players that deliver, you just remember them delivering.

Players that don’t deliver you scramble about all day over thinking the most irrelevant intricacy to make them seem passable.

Unlike James Tavernier, who was similarly inept in Warburtons latter stages, Wes doesnt play a position where you can gamble and give him another long term go. We don’t have 10 points to toss away.

Rangers next goalkeeper will be proven quality, unless Robby McCrorie is special on loan.

1000000000% this.

If Wes started as our 1st choice last season we wouldn't have qualified for the Europa Group stages.

1000000000% this.

If Wes started as our 1st choice last season we wouldn't have qualified for the Europa Group stages.
This is really unproductive.

I can just as easily say we win the league with Foderingham because he wouldn't have conceded the goals that McGregor should have saved.

Nobody knows so all this does is derail things

McGregor as much as i rate him as a shot stopper gives the ball away needlessly wayyyyy to often so tend to agree with the op... shagger has a couple of seasons left but i wouldn't say he's irreplaceable thats for sure !

I can just as easily say we win the league with Foderingham because he wouldn't have conceded the goals that McGregor should have saved.

Did mcgregor actually cost us any goals from his poor distribution last season?

I was hoping Nelster's post would end this thread as it's a load of p!ss.

McGregor is the better keeper, there is no debate to be had.

Wes is a decent back up, that's literally it.

I was hoping Nelster's post would end this thread as it's a load of p!ss.

McGregor is the better keeper, there is no debate to be had.

Wes is a decent back up, that's literally it.
This thread isn't a McGregor vs Wes thread, read the op.

I think goalkeeper is the least of our worries we have a very good number 1 in mcgregor and a good back up in Foderingham. I can’t see the club spending money to bring a new keeper in.

I'm not expecting this thread to go very well but it's something I think we need to consider, so here it goes

I'll say this just to avoid as much abuse as possible, McGregor is the best shot stopper in the league and one of the best in Rangers history, I dont think many people would deny that.

His biggest weakness is his distribution and our style of play emphasises it ridiculously, he takes forever to initiate counter attacks and seemingly only has a long ball out to Tavernier in his locker, even that is only successful about 50% of the time.

So far from games this season, it looks like we're planning on being a lot more possession based in an attempt to drag teams up the pitch and create space, for this to be as effective as possible it would be ideal to have a keeper with a better than average range of passing.

Considering that we should be planning for the long term future of that position anyway, should we be looking to bring someone in who can perform better in this aspect sooner rather than later?
Why wait 12 years to bring this up. McGregor has been distributing the ball in this way since Smith was manager and it didnt do us much harm back then.

The fact of the matter is McGregor is the best keeper in Scotland by a country mile and will save us vital points this season.

I think goalkeeper is the least of our worries we have a very good number 1 in mcgregor and a good back up in Foderingham. I can’t see the club spending money to bring a new keeper in.
It's not an area that needs immediate investment, it would be neglectful to not be planning for the future though given his age

Why are some people so opposed to football discussion on here?
You should have mentioned some stats, bit if a missed opportunity really, I do it all the time it’s a great way of getting the anti-analysis old schoolers riled up.

In all seriousness I agree with your point on McGregor’s distribution but I think he remains our best all round option for now. After all, most our opponents don’t exactly play a high press against us.

You should have mentioned some stats, bit if a missed opportunity really, I do it all the time it’s a great way of getting the anti-analysis old schoolers riled up.

In all seriousness I agree with your point on McGregor’s distribution but I think he remains our best all round option for now. After all most our opponents don’t exactly play a high press against us.
Statistically, McGregor actually had quite a poor season by his standards.

He was bang average in almost every department, don't have the piece on hand right now, I'll look for it

Sorry mate but you and everyone else saying this are wrong, the game has evolved.

People used that "fullbacks are there to defend" line when criticising Tavernier until people realised how vital he is offensively

If you don’t feel the positions main attribute should be about saving shots/defending the goal then why not just stick an outfield player in goal? They’ll be able to pass the ball way better than any goalie.

I understand what the OP is saying, but McGregor is the best GK in the country, regardless of distribution.

I guess I lean more old school. Give me a guy who can pull off world class saves over one who can play with the ball at his feet

I understand what the OP is saying, but McGregor is the best GK in the country, regardless of distribution.

I guess I lean more old school. Give me a guy who can pull off world class saves over one who can play with the ball at his feet
See the link above this comment mate

I see where the op is coming from, but shagger does throw the ball out well for quick attacks. I would like him to be more comfortable with pass backs and have better distribution overall. I would stick with him and if Wes stays we have good competition in this area.

Great post Brendan, but we”ll stick with the best goalie in the land and let your old team worry about having a Franz Beckenbaur like player as their goalie!

Thanks!

Back