Liverpool v Napoli friendly at Murrayfield?

Written warning, that's harsh just for being on a Liverpool thread all day instead of working. I've heard what those Sports Direct bosses are like.
You hang in there and keep your chin up ,something better will come along where you don't work weekends and can see every Rangers game.
Great to see that you paid for your ticket as well as an RTV subscription so you could watch it at work, well worth that written warning.
Let it go, you fucking bore.

I seen loads mate, when i got to Queen st from Edinburgh, also loads on the train up to Edinburgh from Newcastle.

I counted 8 different 'friends' on Facebook / Instagram today that went to the Liverpool game today with friends or family & 6 out the 8 are Rangers fans.

I had a great day in edinburgh and a great match despite liverpool playing so poor been expecting that after watching there last 3 friendlys Napoli played very well and should of scored more.

Would of been good to see Kent play

Klopp needs to bring players in after seeing them live they wont have a good season if they dont

it was too wet to see jamie webster play in the fan park and to get a photo with the champions league trophy

hope more good teams play next year at murrayfield

I think I would feel guilty of watching another team when Rangers are at Ibrox

my life is not just only about rangers theres more to life than them go out and see theres more enjoyable football to watch

Fair play, each to their own and all that. Even if this is what I was doing I don't think I'd be fessing up about it on here though.

Ibrox for me this afternoon.

its crime not going to a rangers game and not allowed to post about it

You don't go to to Rangers Europa games, but go to a Liverpool friendly?

You're clearly a Liverpool fan and not a Rangers fan, so I don't see anything wrong in what you're doing.

Enjoy the game mate.

ive been having back pains for the last 7 months and i work on thursday this was the match i wanted to see if i dont get any pain after sitting for 2hrs i didnt get any pain today so i can go back to go to football matches

Last edited:
Went to the Liverpool game as booked before derby was announced , Liverpool were horrendous and Napoli look an exciting unit , the 16 year old Liverpool lad was about the only good point for them

I had a great day in edinburgh and a great match despite liverpool playing so poor been expecting that after watching there last 3 friendlys Napoli played very well and should of scored more.

Klopp needs to bring players in after seeing them live they wont have a good season if they dont

it was too wet to see jamie webster play in the fan park and to get a photo with the champions league trophy

my life is not just only about rangers theres more to life than them go out and see theres more enjoyable football to watch

ive been having back pains for the last 7 months and i work on thursday this was the match i wanted to see if i dont get any pain after sitting for 2hrs i didnt get any pain today so i can go back to go to football matches

You don't need to explain yourself to random uber fans on the internet mate. You do what you want.

Im not talking about global fanbases,thats down to sky and there brilliant selling of the epl worldwide. Liverpool and man Utd have for as far back as I remember had a closeness to scotland which was due to the top players and managers who were part of their clubs.
I remember going to love street in 1977 when Liverpool came up to play st mirren for their testimonial and the away end was basically all rangers fans supporting Liverpool.
Love to see Rangers playing Milan at Twickenham and selling it out but due to the hatred toward us and the ineptitude of the authorities to get a half decent tv deal we are stuck in this cesspool called Scottish football where the only target for teams is beating Rangers.

The part of highlighted is the part where you quoted me. What I said in that post is below:

Fair play, each to their own and all that. Even if this is what I was doing I don't think I'd be fessing up about it on here though.

Ibrox for me this afternoon.

Not really the same as saying it's a crime, is it?

However, a bit naive to come on here and wax lyrical about not having attended any of our games so far this preseason, but now attending a game that doesn't involve us, when we're playing on the same day... without expecting others to have a very different view on it... no?

Nothing to do with being uber or any of the other pish mentioned in here. It's more a case of you either get it or you don't. If you need it explained to you, you clearly don't.

Quite bizarre that so many Bears went through to Edinburgh to watch a pre season friendly between a team from England and a team from Italy when our club was playing at Ibrox on the same day.
I suspect that this Liverpool love in for most has only occurred in the last 12 months and that 12 months previous to that those same people would have been on here constantly referring to them as the ' mentally challengeds of England '.

Quite bizarre that so many Bears went through to Edinburgh to watch a pre season friendly between a team from England and a team from Italy when our club was playing at Ibrox on the same day.
I suspect that this Liverpool love in for most has only occurred in the last 12 months and that 12 months previous to that those same people would have been on here constantly referring to them as the ' mentally challengeds of England '.

You really need to give this a rest.

Quite bizarre a day on and your still going on about it. Get a life ffs.

Rangers are playing at home and Liverpool are playing an hour away. I would never understand the mindset where someone picks a Liverpool game over a Rangers one.

Can you actually read? It's been said about 20 times in the thread that tickets for the Liverpool game went on sale weeks before the Derby game was even announced.

I suspect that some of the disquiet is based on three things:

1. We need ££ and were playing at home an hour away
2. It is embarrassing to see so many call that game 'proper football' - what are we then?
3. The £££ spunked on replica kit and scarves by 'Rangers fans'....decking their kids out in Liverpool OFFICIAL replica kit etc when we need the cash and they don't

A friend took SIX kids in his 7 seat SUV and all seemed to have Liverpool kit or scarves etc...at least three of the kids (and my friend) are bluenoses.

Anyway the good thing is Liverpool got pumped, the good guys won (Forza Partenopei), and the ££££ spent on replica mickey mousers gear was wasted. So job done and we can all focus on Thursday evening.

well impressed with napoli, thought their touch, movement and speed of thought were fantastic, they were outstanding on the break and i thought fully worthy of the margin of their victory,my first time at murrayfield and i was very impressed with the stadium,it pisses all over any ground up here including our own in my opinion (our magnificent frontage aside) and a wee mention to the edinburgh boozers , some decent pubs had our patronage last night , expensive though ,but decent all the same ,and a good night was had until time for the last train back through west

Anyway the good thing is Liverpool got pumped, the good guys won (Forza Partenopei), and the ££££ spent on replica mickey mousers gear was wasted. So job done and we can all focus on Thursday evening.
Yip, the family had a great time, job done.
It was also a great chance to watch a cracking Italian team.
Wish folk with no interests in this game from yesterday would just focus on anything else other than this thread.

well impressed with napoli, thought their touch, movement and speed of thought were fantastic, they were outstanding on the break and i thought fully worthy of the margin of their victory,my first time at murrayfield and i was very impressed with the stadium,it pisses all over any ground up here including our own in my opinion (our magnificent frontage aside) and a wee mention to the edinburgh boozers , some decent pubs had our patronage last night , expensive though ,but decent all the same ,and a good night was had until time for the last train back through west
I thought Murryfield was incredibly well organised. Even stupid things like portaloo's everywhere so I didn't have any high drama with the wee one's.

I thought Murryfield was incredibly well organised. Even stupid things like portaloo's everywhere so I didn't have any high drama with the wee one's.
That's mainly because Rugby fans aren't generally treated like shit by their clubs and authorities. I bet the food was better too.

Enjoyed my day through in Edinburgh which was a Fathers day present . First time at Murrayfield . Liverpool were poor but Napoli well organised team and thoroughly deserved the win.

We should be resisting all attempts to bring glamour pre-season friendlies like this to Scotland, especially when it’s being held at Murrayfield.

Scottish football doesn’t profit at all from this.
I dont see a problem with playing this game up here and to be honest I would prefer it if Hampden was pulled down as it's had it's day. 3 big 50,000 plus stadiums in one city with the population scotland has is ridiculous. SFA should have made a sensible decision and moved to murrayfield. Then again what can you expect by people who have a jobs for boys policy.

I dont see a problem with playing this game up here and to be honest I would prefer it if Hampden was pulled down as it's had it's day. 3 big 50,000 plus stadiums in one city with the population scotland has is ridiculous. SFA should have made a sensible decision and moved to murrayfield. Then again what can you expect by people who have a jobs for boys policy.
How does this game of professional football benefit our game?

The proceeds are split between an English club, an Italian club and the SRU.

And I would hate to have Murrayfield as our national stadium. Glasgow is Scotland’s football capital, always has been.

Agree 100% .Plenty of food stalls and others everywhere , band leading the team buses into stadium , pre kickoff entertainment , all small details that made it a great day

And I would hate to have Murrayfield as our national stadium. Glasgow is Scotland’s football capital, always has been.

How does it negatively impact the game in Scotland ?

I know the costs involved would be large in terms of paying a fee to the team, but lets see next summer Rangers take on the likes of Liverpool etc

Maybe early in the last century when crowds were up to 150,000. These days are long gone and to be keeping a national stadium going when it's times up and keeping it going for sentimental value is nonsence. Not as if they're making a load of cash on match days with queens park.
There's a perfectly good stadium in Edinburgh with a 68,000 capacity and with Scotland's support not based in Glasgow so much these days,it makes perfect sense.
As for the money going into the game,to be honest I would prefer the sru dealt with it and came up with ideas rather than the clowns who run the sfa

Don't know about anyone else but when I bought my ticket I wasn't really caring about Scottish football.

Even if I'd bought my murrayfield ticket before the Derby game was announced?

Aye sure thing.
If you bought your tickets before the Derby game was announced, fair enough mate, but I just don't understand the mentality of people who call themselves Rangers fans but go to watch another British club, especially Liverpool. All you ever see at their games, if MotD is anything to go by, are Celtic scarves. And if you care that much about Liverpool that you'll pay good money to go and see them, don't get offended when Rangers fans get annoyed at reading stuff about their game on what's supposed to be a forum for Rangers fans.

If you bought your tickets before the Derby game was announced, fair enough mate, but I just don't understand the mentality of people who call themselves Rangers fans but go to watch another British club, especially Liverpool. All you ever see at their games, if MotD is anything to go by, are Celtic scarves. And if you care that much about Liverpool that you'll pay good money to go and see them, don't get offended when Rangers fans get annoyed at reading stuff about their game on what's supposed to be a forum for Rangers fans.

Utter bollocks.

More kids now 'neutral' and clinging to EPL highlights on Sky? Less going to actual live games?

A friendly between an English team and an Italian one is hardly going to make much of a difference. If people go to see that game there's a high chance they're already interested in either of the 2 clubs. Not having friendlies involving non-Scottish clubs won't change that.

How does it negatively impact the game in Scotland ?
Because if this becomes a regular occurrence, you have a market developing for foreign football inside Scotland. It's already difficult enough for Rangers to recruit fans without our competition becoming stronger.

Because if this becomes a regular occurrence, you have a market developing for foreign football inside Scotland. It's already difficult enough for Rangers to recruit fans without our competition becoming stronger.
Can't agree with you there. Rangers crowds are the best as far back as I remember. In the 70s even when we were doing well.outwith a rangers Tim game 30,000 was considered a good crowd. In the 80s before souness some of our home games were down as low as 7 or 8,000. Now theres a waiting list when we're winning nothing,so all's good on that front.

Can't agree with you there. Rangers crowds are the best as far back as I remember. In the 70s even when we were doing well.outwith a rangers Tim game 30,000 was considered a good crowd. In the 80s before souness some of our home games were down as low as 7 or 8,000. Now theres a waiting list when we're winning nothing,so all's good on that front.
None of those stats are particularly relevant in this discussion. The world has changed a lot since the 1970's and 80's.

In my opinion, if these games become a regular occurrence in Scotland, they'll pose a direct challenge to our ability to attract new supporters. There's already a clear trend of younger people supporting Barcelona/Liverpool/Man Utd/Bayern etc. - that's a problem for us. Our traditional supporter base is Scotland and NI, and not much outside of that. If more and more of those people become interested in leagues outside of Scotland, then we have less and less prospective supporters.

And if you don't think that's the case, then I ask - why do you think they're playing these games in Scotland?

More kids now 'neutral' and clinging to EPL highlights on Sky? Less going to actual live games?

That was always going to happen with the decline of Scottish football, more 'choice' allowed for kids now and the continual EPL/La Liga etc. matches being shown.

I really don't believe that.

These games are once a season at best, they won't interfere with fans following their clubs for the rest of the season.

I really don't believe that.

These games are once a season at best, they won't interfere with fans following their clubs for the rest of the season.
And what about young kids looking to pick up a team to support who get taken to these friendlier?

And what if they become more frequent than once a season? Do we trust these super clubs to limit themselves to one game a season in Scotland?

A ‘love in’ because folk went to one game and missed one of ours in a season that will yield probably 60 competitive matches? Chuckling at yours and some others incessant whining about this, it’s hysterical pish. One of the biggest clubs in the world come to Scotland and some of you are crying about it over and over because football fans have the audacity to want to see them. It’s almost like some of you have never ever missed a Rangers game. It’s not like they are buying season tickets for Anfield, give it a rest ffs.

Btw the bus I occasionally go on didn’t make it to Ibrox yesterday either, as they had their annual golf day. How terribly unstaunch :)

None of those stats are particularly relevant in this discussion. The world has changed a lot since the 1970's and 80's.

In my opinion, if these games become a regular occurrence in Scotland, they'll pose a direct challenge to our ability to attract new supporters. There's already a clear trend of younger people supporting Barcelona/Liverpool/Man Utd/Bayern etc. - that's a problem for us. Our traditional supporter base is Scotland and NI, and not much outside of that. If more and more of those people become interested in leagues outside of Scotland, then we have less and less prospective supporters.

And if you don't think that's the case, then I ask - why do you think they're playing these games in Scotland?
I hear what your saying about the younger guys,but tv coverage has now brought these club's into our homes on a regular basis and that's something we can't change.

What a lot of shite that is haha. Btw the only folk that seem to be ‘offended’ on this thread are the ones greeting about people going along to this game, so much so that they are willing to make stuff up to try and petty point score.

I hear what your saying about the younger guys,but tv coverage has now brought these club's into our homes on a regular basis and that's something we can't change.
The clubs that will eventually make up the Superleague play all these friendlies abroad to try and recruit fans in those areas. This is always to the detriment of the national league/association in that area, as their prospective fanbase is hollowed out and they see none of the money that these fans spend on football. It's why none of the Asian leagues will ever amount to anything, no matter how rich their working classes become.

For an example closer to home, it's also a reason why Ireland has no decent domestic football league despite having a similar size population to us - everyone in Ireland supports Man Utd or Liverpool. They make money from Irish football fans, not the LOI/FAI. That started long before these friendlies became a thing, but the philosophy is essentially the same.

In my opinion, everyone who cares strongly about Rangers and Scottish football should encourage a boycott of these games and overwhelmingly reject them to protect our club.

I'm not offended and the celtic stuff is a bit wide of the mark. In northern ireland Liverpool have a massive support amongst the protestant community, my wife's family is just one example.

You must have an outstanding TV to make out scarves on motd at anfield.

To be honest, I can do what I want. I have a season ticket in the govan stand, been to both European qualifiers, the Oxford friendly and have bought both kits that have went on sale so far this season.

However, you are clearly more of a fan than me and I bow down to your superior level of staunchness.

The clubs that will eventually make up the Superleague play all these friendlies abroad to try and recruit fans in those areas. This is always to the detriment of the national league/association in that area, as their prospective fanbase is hollowed out and they see none of the money that these fans spend on football. It's why none of the Asian leagues will ever amount to anything, no matter how rich their working classes become.

For an example closer to home, it's also a reason why Ireland has no decent domestic football league despite having a similar size population to us - everyone in Ireland supports Man Utd or Liverpool. They make money from Irish football fans, not the LOI/FAI. That started long before these friendlies became a thing, but the philosophy is essentially the same.

In my opinion, everyone who cares strongly about Rangers and Scottish football should encourage a boycott of these games and overwhelmingly reject them to protect our club.
There's always been a big gap between the mainland and irish football. If anything it's our game that has moved back the way,the proof of that is the fact that the club who were 3rd in our league were knocked out by a Welsh
Club.
Unfortunately big business has taken over football and revenue is everything and the big clubs from large populated countries now pull in all the cash. I hope rangers can get into the champions league group stages soon,because I reckon it's only a matter of time that the days of Barcelona ect playing competitive games in scotland and many other smaller countries are coming to an end,with a European super league set up.
As for scottish football,the problem is rangers and them are far too big for the rest and fans of these clubs resent people leaving their towns and cities to watch the old firm,so their just thinking the way you do regarding fans going to watch big name European clubs

I took my son as Liverpool are his 2nd team and was a great opportunity for him to see them. Bought tkts before Derby game announced but then i dont need to justify that to anyone.
Hope you both had a great time, we certainly did. Unfotunatly not only should we not have had a good family day out yesterday but we should now be boycotting events like this for the greater good of Scottish football.

Back