Stewart Regan says SFA board will consider Hampden's future next month

Pentasa

I know this has been discussed already

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41936351

But its more the comments on the BBC website I want to highlight

"75. Posted bytup1903
on8 minutes ago
This sounds like a ruse to do up Ibrox for free as the current tenants cannot afford even basic repairs.

Never trust the SFA an inch. They have traded something like 14 employees with 'Rangers' in the last 20 years and this decision needs close scrutiny."

Honestly where do you start with this pish

Firstly. Hampden is not fit for purpose and should be dumped.
Secondly. Murray field should be used for cup finals and Rangers Celtic semis.
Thirdly. Scotland games should be taken round the country with the big ones at Murrayfield since it is most convenient for the majority of the present Scotland support.

Thirdly. Scotland games should be taken round the country with the big ones at Murrayfield since it is most convenient for the majority of the present Scotland support.

Cannot argue with a word of this. Makes perfect sense in every way.

Long term all games will be at the girodome. Also the sfa plan to move there offices there and pay a fortune in compo to the dims. Part of the playing deal will see the maintenance of the place mostly paid by the sfa.

It would make more sense to move their offices to Auchenhowie where it would be much more convenient for the compliance officer to ban our players on a Monday morning

I was told by a friend, his friend works for a Glasgow law firm who have been drawing up contracts for SFA to move lock stock and barrell to the piggery. So it will not surprise me.

Hampden park is an iconic name in world football. There are very few other venues that can rival it's place in the history of the game. The Government should completely rebuild it into a multi purpose arena befitting the title of National Stadium.
We must always have a neutral venue in this country.

No fuukin way in this world will I ever go to the piggery if we make a final.

My last there was 98 against hertz. No fuukin chance of me givin the poet rhats any cash any more.

Last edited:
No fuukin way in this will I ever go to a final.at the piggery if we make a final.

My last there was 98 against hertz. No fuukin chance of me givin the poet rhats any cash any more.

That's the last time I was in the piggery as well, didn't realise it was that long ago.

Flatten hampden

Build new stands closer to the pitch

The government should pay for it otherwise use murrayfield

This should be the only options on the table the piggery should not receive anymore cash freebies

We need to make more noise about this from the club

Asking for records of public cash spent there

Wether Hampden is the venue of choice or not. Unless it's Murrayfield it should remain hampden. Because if it's shelfed to the piggery then they will get train links the lot. Are we so stupid to say let's move it from Hampden?

If they are to have a "major game stadium" it has to be Murrayfield, however the way this country has went it'll end up the Piggery without Ibrox ever getting a sniff.

This was never more evident for me than when Wembley was being done up and they took the England games round the country, some fantastic atmospheres, it was obvious that there was a buzz from people who couldn't travel to London for games.
Scotland should be the same, think for instance of Tynecastle the fans are right on top of you and can influence the matches, compare this to Hampden where you're a 1/4 mile from the action & the atmosphere disappears as quickly as it began.

100% correct. Sadly common sense is a lot less common than it used to be.

It only happens if we let it happen.

dpa4h3.jpg

we let this happen

As i said before Big world cup games at Torbet Towers small ones tossed to Hibs and the Sheep.

we get friendly v Canada on a Thursday night.

anyone who thinks otherwise is still sleepwalking.

They might as well move to their real headquarters, Scottish football as far as I'm concerned is f*@*@d. I have no interest in any part of it apart from Rangers.

Hampden park is an iconic name in world football. There are very few other venues that can rival it's place in the history of the game. The Government should completely rebuild it into a multi purpose arena befitting the title of National Stadium.

why? made sense when crowds were huge, but the need for a third large stadium in a city that already has 2 50k+ stadia, purely on the basis that the 2 owners of those stadia play each other in cups now and again - when there is another large stadium in the capital, which even from Glasgow is almost easier to reach than the dreadfully served hampden, the case starts to look very very weak.

Surely if the Welsh can build a fantastic arena like the Principality Stadium, we should be looking to do something similar.

The Hampden rebuild was a mess and is not a patch on the old Hampden for atmosphere even when it is full.
Having said that it should be retained.Cup finals would not be the same at other grounds and what would happen if we were to play against them in a cup final.
As for using Murray ield why send much needed revenue outwith the Game?

When you put it like that I agree.

Murrayfield is completely neutral though and I'd take that for both football semis/finals and even though I won't attend until things change, Scotland games.

Staggered by the weight of people wanting Murrayfield.

A sparsely attended match between Hearts and Rangers is one thing - 25,000 Rangers and 25,000 Celtic fans all driving down the same motorway and travelling from the same train station is quite another. Not going to happen.

While we're at it, the amount of hatred and disdain that so many of us have for Hampden is both understandable and lamentable.

Few stadia in the world has more sporting, cultural and musical significance than Hampden. Moreover, as Rangers fans, few stadia has been more significant to us in our journey towards becoming the world's most successful football club. Survey a random collection of Rangers fans and ask them for their favourite game and I'm sure a majority would name one that has taken place at Hampden. Since I bought my season ticket in 2002, most of the best memories I've had of following Rangers in the last 16 years - Lovenkrands' last minute winner, the 2003 treble, the Davie Cooper final, Novo's screamer, the Jelavic cup final, the semi final win on penalties - have all taken place at Hampden.

Notwithstanding its location in a Glasgow suburb and its horrendous transport links (which I'd argue aren't actually that bad) any attempt to break connections with our glorious footballing past should be rejected. West Ham, Arsenal and Man City have all moved to soulless identikit stadia, sometimes miles away from their old ones, and have struggled because of it. It still pleases me, in some small way, that Hampden still exists in the same position as it did for so many of our glorious cup triumphs.

So let's keep Hampden where it is - let's just do it better.

Staggered by the weight of people wanting Murrayfield.

A sparsely attended match between Hearts and Rangers is one thing - 25,000 Rangers and 25,000 Celtic fans all driving down the same motorway and travelling from the same train station is quite another. Not going to happen.
60,000 Rangers and Cellick fans milling about Glasgow city centre and then heading to Porkheid is not an attractive scenario either.

The idea of using Murray has been bandied about before but it is the police who always shoot that idea down. They will not have over 50000 old firm fans travelling through to Edinburgh for a match.
They would not be able to control it.
Saying that we all know it won't matter a jot as it is going to the peadodome so that liewell has an even bigger retirement fund and dirty des has more money to squirrel away tax free.
Feck the tims and the sfa - same snakes different name

I hope that they just share it out on a rotation basis but most likely lawwell will get his want. No doubt yet more money flowing like shit down the sewer to the forces of darkness.

No, it's not. But in terms of transport, policing and infrastructure, far easier.

There's a wider picture. The SFA moving into celtic park would be some coup for them and a move that'd be very difficult to undo.

Its a big issue. Our board and PR should be commenting on and heavily involved influencing whatever happens next here.

While we're at it, the amount of hatred and disdain that so many of us have for Hampden is both understandable and lamentable.

Few stadia in the world has more sporting, cultural and musical significance than Hampden. Moreover, as Rangers fans, few stadia has been more significant to us in our journey towards becoming the world's most successful football club. Survey a random collection of Rangers fans and ask them for their favourite game and I'm sure a majority would name one that has taken place at Hampden. Since I bought my season ticket in 2002, most of the best memories I've had of following Rangers in the last 16 years - Lovenkrands' last minute winner, the 2003 treble, the Davie Cooper final, Novo's screamer, the Jelavic cup final, the semi final win on penalties - have all taken place at Hampden.

Notwithstanding its location in a Glasgow suburb and its horrendous transport links (which I'd argue aren't actually that bad) any attempt to break connections with our glorious footballing past should be rejected. West Ham, Arsenal and Man City have all moved to soulless identikit stadia, sometimes miles away from their old ones, and have struggled because of it. It still pleases me, in some small way, that Hampden still exists in the same position as it did for so many of our glorious cup triumphs.

So let's keep Hampden where it is - let's just do it better.
That is history, all you say is true but the reality is it is a dump, transport links are a joke. It is not fit for purpose, Murrayfield is. No brainer. No to the girodome for anything, or Ibrox. Scotland games should all be at Murrayfield. End of.

Hampden is the home of Scottish football and should remain so. Sadly the last redevelopment wasn't thought through properly and the atmosphere isn't the same as it once was. I would love to see the place rebuilt in roughly the same location. It has happened twice before. In fact, my old house stands on what was the footprint of the original Hampden. More or less where Queens Park Bowling Club is now. Will the Scottish government find the money for this? I highly doubt it. What a shame.

I think its a bit of sabre rattling by the sfa,, I think they will stay at hampden with a much better deal for the sfa than they currently have,, if they were to leave, then hampden would never survive, qpfc would never be able to fianance the upkeep of the place through a couple of concerts every summer

If its not going to be Hampden or Murrayfield, then it must be rotational, even the SFA can not contemplate giving one team the advantage of playing every semi final and final at home.

That is history, all you say is true but the reality is it is a dump, transport links are a joke. It is not fit for purpose, Murrayfield is. No brainer. No to the girodome for anything, or Ibrox. Scotland games should all be at Murrayfield. End of.

You can't decry Hampden's transport links and then suggest that Murrayfield is an alternative.

In the last 20 years there has been at least 14 Glasgow teams in the Scottish Cup final. It's at least 15 when you look at the League Cup final. For the vast majority of Rangers and Celtic fans who attended these finals, Hampden was relatively straightforward to get to - far more so than Murrayfield would be.

I've noticed that you've said Scotland games but there is not a future that has Scotland games and domestic cup finals being played at different stadia.

They'll keep Hampden.

Back