Gerrard on Barker/Kent

Hank Hill

STEVEN GERRARD confirmed Brandon Barker is close to joining Rangers - as he revealed the Ibrox club asked Liverpool about Ryan Kent’s situation again this week.

SunSport revealed this morning that former Hibs winger Barker was on the verge of a Gers switch.

The Light Blues have agreed a fee with Man City, while PFA Scotland Young Player of the Year Kent remains a Reds player after the English transfer window closed.

Gerrard said: “We haven’t signed him yet. He is having a medical. It’s close.

“Would that be it in terms of the squad? Who knows.

“I don’t think it is a secret we tried to get Ryan Kent to return. Liverpool knew how much wanted the player to come back.

“But I was told a week ago by Jurgen Klopp that he wouldn’t be going out on loan. So I respect that decision.

“We checked again a couple of days ago. I spoke to the technical director Michael Edwards.

“He made it very clear again that it wouldn’t be happening. So we had to move in a different direction.

“We thank Ryan for everything he has done. Time will tell whether our paths cross again but he is a magnificent player.

“We did everything we can to get him back but it is not to be and we respect Liverpool and thank them for letting us have him for a year.”

No way both are signing. So if Barker has got as far as a medical, the Kent dream is over.

Just waiting for the first Tweet saying Celtic are after him!

I don’t get Liverpool’s stance on Kent. They’d rather have him sit in the reserves for a year and depreciate in value instead of coming back here, playing in Europe, with a chance of winning trophies and appreciating in value?

That’s what I don’t get. I understood they wanted a fee but if that’s not happening then rotting in the reserves seems a strange decision.

thumb_so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance-quick-meme-com-3733217.png

It’s a very odd stance from Liverpool. I could understand if they said the loan is only until January now, but saying no to a loan deal after the English window has closed seems to be good for nobody.

If thats the case then Liverpool should be ashamed.

Whats the point in him rotting in the reserves when he could have a great career at Rangers? All for what? Pennies to Liverpool?

Liverpool may be trying to force Kent's hand. I suppose it is possible for a player to become loan happy.

Force him to do what? The opportunity for anyone who was interested to buy him has been lost.

Only choice is u23s unless Liverpool allow him to come to us on loan.

Just my opinion i think Kent will be back in January or if we make group stages i think Liverpool will let him come back
Positive loyal

Here’s a wee prediction:

Assuming we do the business next week, if we get a performance in the first leg of the final qualifying round that makes qualification look likely, I think we’ll get him on loan with a guarantee to buy.

My timing might be out, but I do believe a loan with a deal to buy will suit all parties.

This a personal opinion, BTW, not orange-text info :))

It seems strange Liverpool would be so stubborn about it, i think he is training like Balboa in the background ready to be signed and unleashed for the old firm game :cool:

Back