Cryptic Kent Speaks

Those saying we have Jones now I assume are fishing

As good as Jones has been, he isn’t a patch on Kent.

I’d be delighted if we got Kent back.

Kent is technically the better player, but Jones has a level of directness that Kent sometimes lacked. I agree that Kent is the better player, but Jones can contribute as much albeit with a slightly different playing style. Ideally you would have the both of them as options!

I’d suggest Fact 2 is the most important of all here.

See if you put your house up for sale and nobody wants to buy it do you think you should be forced to rent it?

No, but we aren't talking about bricks and mortar here are we? We are discussing a human being who happens to be employed to play football and has been told by his current employer that they see no future for him at the club!

Don't see the point in signing Barker if we are still pursuing Kent.

Kent, Jones, Barker, Murphy, Hastie, Middleton. 6 left sided players on our books.

Especially when there are other areas needing addressed; left back, possible third striker.

Murphy, Hastie and Middleton will all be out on loan anyway.

Agree about left back. 3rd striker is a meh not convinced we'd get a good striker to come and play back up to Morelos and Defoe.

Gerrard said he would take this right to the wire. Unless a European club comes in for a bid then I think he will be back. It just doesnt make sense to let him rot. I think he would put a transfer request in before he does that?

When he has penned the deal he would have had hopes of making it as a Liverpool player.

It doesn't look like that is going to happen now.

Who knows. If I were in his position, looking at a squad who had just been in the champions league final with players like Mane, Salah etc and my career was at a bit of a stall, I’d sign in a minute to secure finances whilst trying to make my next move in developing. At Liverpool or elsewhere.

I don’t think he can be criticised for signing a contract then wanting out in different circumstances where he sees his future elsewhere.

Understandably it has to suit Liverpool aswell.

The bottom line is the fee is too high. They want 10 million, but nobody was remotely biting at that. If you look at his career so far, he was excellent with us for 6 or 7 months. Outside of that he was distinctly mediocre. I'd offer 4.5 plus a graduated 20 percent sell on uo to 15 million. The cards are now in our favour.

No, but we aren't talking about bricks and mortar here are we? We are discussing a human being who happens to be employed to play football and has been told by his current employer that they see no future for him at the club!

We are discussing an asset who happens to be remunerated to reflect that.
The rest is just wailing and gnashing of teeth frankly.
Which would be fine if it was some moral stance but it’s not is it?
It’s because we want him. Which kinda lessens the weight of the argument.

And next season when they are on our books and not out on loan. Signing Kent means someone like Barker doesn't even make the bench. What's the point in that. I want to improve the first team but having signings not even making the bench is pointless, unless we are going to do a hell of a lot of rotating.

You've been shouting about a lack of quality for weeks and now turning up your nose at Kent coming back. You're a hard one to work out sometimes CC.

See if you put your house up for sale and nobody wants to buy it do you think you should be forced to rent it?

Yea but neither do you rip out its interior decoration, move it to a poorer area and negatively impact its value which is what fact 4 is.

Yea but neither do you rip out its interior decoration, move it to a poorer area and negatively impact its value which is what fact 4 is.

I’ll not extend the house metaphor any further to avoid confusion eh? :D

Do you think for a second if Ryan Kent suffered a career ending injury tomorrow that the same posters on here would be suggesting Liverpool don’t pay the rest of his contract?
Because the “no future here” cuts both ways. As I said above, the myopia and feet stamping is just a bit cringe for me.

Can see this pissing off Klopp and a year in the under 23 team may beckon.
A year in the 23s will destroy whatever value he gained from last season, if teams aren't paying 10m just now no chance they'll do it after that. Hopefully we go back in for him and January and failing that go in for him next summer on a permanent

When Ryan Kent walked out to play for Liverpool U23s at the Kirby Academy on Saturday it must have felt a million miles from what he has been used to.

Instead of the 50,000 adoring fans at Ibrox over the past year, Kent was doing his thing in front less than 200 people as Liverpool's youngsters were battered by their Tottenham counterparts.

It's not what he - or Liverpool for that matter - would have expected when he returned from such a successful stint in Glasgow.

His early pre-season form looked promising as well and there seemed no doubt he would earn a move.

But with a deadline day move to Leeds not happening – it has been reported the Championship side wanted to pay no more than £5m for him – and Rangers unable to afford the kind of money Liverpool want for a permanent deal, the tricky winger has been left stuck in reserve.

Steven Gerrard has ruled out a move due to the finances involved but if the opportunity came up again then he would be at the front of the queue to persuade Liverpool that Rangers would be his best option for another loan spell.

It seems that it will take Jurgen Klopp and Liverpool changing their mind on letting the 22-year-old leave on loan for that to happen but in football things can change in a heartbeat.

In his early games, Jordan Jones is beginning to look like an adequate replacement while there are options there in the shape of Scott Arfield, Brandon Barker and the returning Jamie Murphy, who admittedly is set for a loan spell himself.

But Rangers and their fans would get a huge boost if last year's PFA Scotland Young Player of the Year rocked up at Ibrox again.

Certainly, Kent would surely prefer a return to Rangers than the less raucous environs of Premier League 2.

The weekend game against Spurs ended in a 4-0 defeat with the likes of Kent, as well as Rhian Brewster and Harvey Elliot all playing. But it couldn't stop them going down heavily.

Here's how our colleagues at the Liverpool Echo assessed Kent's performance.

The verdict
Ryan Kent no doubt wouldn't have pictured himself at the Academy on the opening day of the season having regularly turned out in front of 50,000 at Ibrox last term.

(Image: SNS)
Yet the winger lined up on the left flank here, part of a strong Liverpool forward line.

An encouraging pre-season – having impressed at Bradford City with the first team – was then hampered by illness, while interest from Rangers, Leeds United and others didn't materialise in a move.

Kent could still move back to Rangers, or go abroad, before September 2, whether on loan or permanently.

For now he continued ticking over with a performance that at times showed his greater experience at first-team level, one turn in particular drawing a booking for Tottenham right-back Jubril Okedina.

Similar to Brewster and Elliott, though, the flashes were occasional rather than consistent in admittedly increasingly difficult conditions. Like Liverpool overall, he could have done more.

If it was going to lie derelict for a year I'd say it would be the better option, especially if the person renting it promised to improve it and leave it in much better condition.

Reactions: LD5
We are discussing an asset who happens to be remunerated to reflect that.
The rest is just wailing and gnashing of teeth frankly.
Which would be fine if it was some moral stance but it’s not is it?
It’s because we want him. Which kinda lessens the weight of the argument.

He is a human being. You can refer to him as an asset if you like, but the bottom line is, asset or not, he has been told by his employer that he has no long-term future with them and then has been priced out of a move elsewhere and has seen his other avenue away (on loan) be dismissed.

I'm not sure what his remuneration has to do with it to be honest. The boy quite clearly wants to carve out a career playing football at as high a level as possible and his employer is making that difficult for him to do and potentially harming his further development.

If that were you (and remuneration wasn't the only factor in your decision making) then I feel you would be a bit pissed off as well.

Wonder if the club has thought about a deal along the following lines (and whether LFC would be interested) ?

We pay 2M to take him permanently now, with an agreement that Liverpool can take him back for the same fee after 1->2 # years, or we split any future transfer fee 50/50 ...
Might sound like nonsense, but there needs to be an agreement that suits all parties if it is going to happen, and Kent playing for their U-23s is madness.

Offer to loan him with an obligation to buy next year when we’ll be in a better position to buy as can’t see Alfie staying next two seasons

He’s clearly fed up and you can’t blame him. He wants to come here. He would have a good sell on value and we would have amazing quality on both wings and once Ojo leaves we still would have Kent.

Need to remember his bird is from up here too.

Not only is he playing U23 games in front of 15 people instead of full houses with us. He isn’t getting his end away as often as he would like.

I have felt all summer we would get him. This only further confirms my thinking. I reckon Liverpool are hoping we make group stages and bid for him instead of another loan.
Give us him on loan with the option to buy then.
Our chances of making the groups are increased by having Kent on board.

It’s great that he wants to be playing, but the melodramatic slave talk etc is a bit much.
I don't doubt for a second that he's on a cracking salary.

If he signs for Rangers, that post will be getting dusted down for a 'Rangers star in mocking slavery outrage' by the record.

Wonder if the club has thought about a deal along the following lines (and whether LFC would be interested) ?

We pay 2M to take him permanently now, with an agreement that Liverpool can take him back for the same fee after 1->2 # years, or we split any future transfer fee 50/50 ...
Might sound like nonsense, but there needs to be an agreement that suits all parties if it is going to happen, and Kent playing for their U-23s is madness.
That would be an awful financial deal for us as Liverpool would simply buy him back for the £2m and sell him for 7 times that.

I'm saying/asking why did we sign Barker if we are still pursuing Kent? We've numerous left sided attackers. Could we not have held off?

We are actively looking to move players out. We will see where the squad is at come the end of the transfer window. Gerrard wants 2 players for every position and even bringing Kent back, we could be in that position when we move guys out the door.

I actually agree Barker seems a pointless signing when we already have Jones. Said as much the other day but Kent is a different kettle of fish we simply need to move for a player of his quality if its doable.

I'm not a fan of players publicly having a go at their club, it's not something I would want any of our players doing.

How many years does Kent have left on his Liverpool contract?

Will your house get depressed and de motivated because it isn’t allowed to be sold or hasn’t fetched the price it’s owners want ?

You’re saying that Liverpool have said they want to sell him but now won’t and are deliberately hampering his career?

What facts do we know that prove this?
He facts we know are... they wanted to sell him, no one wanted to pay the price they set and now they are saying he is going nowhere and he wont be going anywhere near their first team!

In my books they are hampering his career if they dont loan him out!

I think Klopp is being a big of a cnut with the lad. Telling him to find a home, then stifling a loan back to us, then parking him in with the U 23 team, no wonder he’s pissed off.

Off topic, but did you see the gaffer had his lad in the full home kit on Instagram?

A thought that aswell but comon he has started a hell of a lot betrer than kent did and kent was known of the Bristol City flop by the papers no one thought kent would turn out so good so who knows how good jones is going to be hes with better players and team now i think we will get better returns from jones but i love kent and would love him back

He didn't exactly strike me as the philosophical type, if im being brutally honest.
He’s surprised me with this bible shit tbh didn’t strike me as that kind of guy

Look at his tattoos:
1D8OOTs.png

He also has something from Psalm 46 tattooed on his left forearm.

Last edited:

If Jones can be consistent with his performances of the last two games then I'd start him over Kent.

Kent may be more technically gifted and has more tricks from what I've seen but Jones looks like he might be more effective. He looks more willing to run at defenders and looks to have a better end product. I say 'looks like' as it's far too early to judge but I think both Ojo and Jones will post more assists and Ojo will certainly get more goals than Kent did last season.

I'd love us to get Kent back but if Jones continues with the levels shown against hibs and the Danes then Kent, unless he's improved over the summer, wouldn't be a guaranteed starter for me.

Would love to have him back on loan .
Don't really get all the Instagram shite
But ffs Ryan Kent .." Don't bite the hand that feeds you "
Get your nut down and go through the proper channels .

Back