Atmosphere at Ibrox and how to improve it?

gerrard32

Any ideas?

The atmosphere at Ibrox has unfortunately always been poor for run of the mill games for as long as I can remember.
I used to stand in the East Enclosure as a teenager in the late 80's and we were almost the only ones in the ground singing.
We could tease the Copland into singing, "can you hear the Copland sing"? Shhhhh... then waiting for a response...
I have been to many a home game since where I have not even sung because I would be the only one within a 50 feet radius singing!
People are capable of making noise, I was at the Parma home game when Cannavarro get sent of, what a night, crazy atmosphere, so it can be done. Many other good days/nights around that time.
Thank god for the Union Bears, otherwise it would be even worse.
Away games are much better though I must admit I was very surprised at Bears not singing/joining in in our end v Midtylland. We were only 600 Bears. I met a Midtylland fan in Herning after the Midtjylland game and proud as punch asked him what he thought of the away support and he said he was a little bit disappointed because when for example when Brøndby come to Herning they make much more noise.

I know it sounds silly but I was thinking what about a leaflet on every seat with a "song sheet" with the lyrics and a bit like a hymn sheet in order of when we will sing the songs, could get more people involved. Yes I know far fetched but otherwise how else can we get the atmosphere Stevie G and the team want?

I would confidently speculate that most big clubs have a poor atmosphere at home for run-of-the-mill fixtures.

Anfield or Old Trafford are not exactly frenzied cauldrons when Crystal Palace or Burnley pay a visit.

(Sorry OP, not the answer you're looking for, but I think Ibrox currently delivers for the big fixtures)

It's a strange one. When we were all over Hibs early on, the place was great. The moment we started to lose our grip, even before their goal, the groan and grumbles started and the place went flat. Misplaced passes being hounded etc. When Ibrox crowd is on the place is rocking but I sometimes wish we were a bit more similar to our European friends who, although more meticulous and not as spontaneous/following the flow of the game, manage a consistent level of noise throughout a game.

Theres 2 other threads on the same subject.

The answer is safe standing. There is no other gimmick that will improve the atmosphere.

Letting folk relocate to a stand, next to their mates and fellow minded folk who want to stand and sing no matter who we are playing.

Thats it.

I would confidently speculate that most big clubs have a poor atmosphere at home for run-of-the-mill fixtures.

Anfield or Old Trafford are not exactly frenzied cauldrons when Crystal Palace or Burnley pay a visit.

(Sorry OP, not the answer you're looking for, but I think Ibrox currently delivers for the big fixtures)

I know mate, you are right. Many big English clubs enjoy the library experience every second weekend

I think you are placing too much importance on it OP

Ibrox was expectant, participating and into it from the first whistle on Sunday.

There was a big handball shout seconds before the actual handball to help seal Hibs fate.

Some folk thinking singing any old song at any old random time is an atmosphere. Its not.

The answer is safe standing. There is no other gimmick that will improve the atmosphere.

Letting folk relocate to a stand, next to their mates and fellow minded folk who want to stand and sing no matter who we are playing.

Thats it.

But we had that in the late 80's and it never made for an overall better atmosphere. East and west enclosure were "standing"

Extend UB section or move them to a prominent position, they’re the only ones willing to make an atmosphere
The rest are just going along for the ride

Thats it.

Just about to post the same.

Safe standing
Move the singing section into there
Make it bigger than their current section
Put it in a prominent position in the stadium.

How is Hibs not a big fixture?

I think you are placing too much importance on it OP

Ibrox was expectant, participating and into it from the first whistle on Sunday.

There was a big handball shout seconds before the actual handball to help seal Hibs fate.

Some folk thinking singing any old song at any old random time is an atmosphere. Its not.

I get you mate :) But hope you realize it could be better. I want to take my girlfriend (from Denmark) to a game at Ibrox and to be honest I would not want that game to be anyone other than the scum :-( because I want her to feel a good atmosphere

Slightly surprised at their view of our support in Denmark. I was in the main stand and our fans looked, and sounded, superb.

Slightly surprised at their view of our support in Denmark. I was in the main stand and our fans looked, and sounded, superb.

Yeah me too mate, but like I said I was in the lower tier and there were guys there not joining in at all. So I guess if you get 600 crazy Brøndby or Copenahgen fans all singing they will make more noise than we did

But we had that in the late 80's and it never made for an overall better atmosphere. East and west enclosure were "standing"
Different now. They days the support was accustom to standing etc.

Now the only people who move to it are going to be people who want to back the team for 90 minutes.

Different now. They days the support was accustom to standing etc.

Now the only people who move to it are going to be people who want to back the team for 90 minutes.

Ok, I am guessing you were not there back then.
Let just say that Rangers offer safe standing in the East and west Enclosure.
People like you say would go ther and back the team for 90 minutes. Then it would still be the same as it was 30 years ago
???
With an area backing the team and singing for 90 minutes

Ok, I am guessing you were not there back then.
Let just say that Rangers offer safe standing in the East and west Enclosure.
People like you say would go ther and back the team for 90 minutes. Then it would still be the same as it was 30 years ago
???
With an area backing the team and singing for 90 minutes
I’d guarantee it would massively improve the atmosphere yes.

UB are in a horrible position tucked away in a corner and they somehow manage to get the full BF to stand and participate at times. Frightening.

Potential is there for it to be constant but the club don’t care.

I’d guarantee it would massively improve the atmosphere yes.

UB are in a horrible position tucked away in a corner and they somehow manage to get the full BF to stand and participate at times. Frightening.

Potential is there for it to be constant but the club don’t care.

Not getting it, there is like 2000 fans that want to sing. Tell me where you are going to place them to change the atmosphere? Not being an idiot, just curious

Not getting it, there is like 2000 fans that want to sing. Tell me where you are going to place them to change the atmosphere? Not being an idiot, just curious
In an ideal world? CF.

Reality? BF with UB in BF3 getting everyone going.

Same set up it is around the world. Best situation would be no away fans in the corner so the atmosphere would spread easier but thats far too much to ask from the suits.

In an ideal world? CF.

Reality? BF with UB in BF3 getting everyone going.

Same set up it is around the world. Best situation would be no away fans in the corner so the atmosphere would spread easier but thats far too much to ask from the suits.

So your idea is to move the UB from BF1 to BF3 to improve the atmosphere at Ibrox on match days?
And for it to be safe standing?

So your idea is to move the UB from BF1 to BF3 to improve the atmosphere at Ibrox on match days?
And for it to be safe standing?
For the full Broomloan Front to be safe standing and everyone who wants to stand and sing every game to move there, correct.

Loads of boys who are of similar mindset would move. I know of plenty from away games who would love it. Would transform it.

Like I said, ideally CF. But it’ll be BF if it ever happens.

How do you create an away day atmosphere at home? Is the million dollar question
Be easier of we all just moaned like %^*&, at least we'd be pulling in the same direction!
It's extremely tough...sometimes you go to a concert and the atmosphere is terrible, everyone has paid money, travelled, they all love the band, probably same age group and interests...the band perform but sometimes it's still a bit meh
Ibrox is catering for people aged 5 to 95!! There's no magic formula, beer might help? I'm being serious

For the full Broomloan Front to be safe standing and everyone who wants to stand and sing every game to move there, correct.

Loads of boys who are of similar mindset would move. I know of plenty from away games who would love it. Would transform it.

Like I said, ideally CF. But it’ll be BF if it ever happens.

I like the idea mate, I do. Would also be great to be in the Broomloan front if that was the case
But :)
Not getting how that would improve the overall atmosphere. Like I said it in late 80's the enclosures were bouncing but the overall atmosphere was not great for the run of the mill games

I like the idea mate, I do. Would also be great to be in the Broomloan front if that was the case
But :)
Not getting how that would improve the overall atmosphere. Like I said it in late 80's the enclosures were bouncing but the overall atmosphere was not great for the run of the mill games
Because if you have +4k singing their heart out together with their mates and like minded folk, its easy to “drain out” the mutes.

Its honestly not a hard concept mate. Go abroad and you’ll see it.

Safe standing is coming, whether it’s next season or further in the future it’s coming back to British football I just hope we do it properly and have the whole front of a stand and not one section.
Will it improve the atmosphere at Ibrox ? I think it’s fair to say it will improve the majority of grounds including Ibrox.
I don’t think safe standing alone is the total answer though, several other posters have touched on things that would help.
I think it would help if groups were together, supporters clubs maybe and groups of friends.
When safe standing is introduced it will by its nature create a lot of movement between seats and stands as supporters move, this could be a great opportunity to group people together.
One thing I do realise though is not everyone wants to stand and sing or want to, we have a very wide age range and everyone should be looked after as much as we can but surely it’s better for somewhere to sit without having someone like me stood in front of them.

I would also invite flute bands to play at Ibrox before the game and at half time but we all know that won’t happen.

Oh and lastly, sack the Ibrox Do he is crap.

I was at the game on Sunday, I left my house at 7am for a 6 hr drive.
I was at Ibrox on 90 mins and it was half empty,
I stayed to applaud the players off the park and it was easy to walk up the stairs and out the stadium into the rain.
I went in to the wee rangers club had a couple of drinks, when i left there after 6 most of the traffic had gone.
Got home about 1am.

A lot of fans have got into this habit of leaving early and I don’t see it changing.

But you wouldn’t leave the cinema 10 minutes before a film finished.

A complete ban on songs that mention religion, 19th Century Terrorists, dead terrorists, and only football songs that everyone can / are willing to sing singalong too / have their kids singalong too

We have a season waiting list, huge demand for away tickets, if folk keep singing old songs / using old language , then time to fade them out and replace with people who are going to represent the club , not bring it into disrepute in 2019.

Folk will switch it on / go back to the old tunes for the ‘big’ games but much like putting on an old pair of slippers , comfortable / does the job as expected, there is no long term future and it’s really losing its luster , singing ‘were the 1st battalion of the uvf’ against the minnows in the spl or versus teams from Gibraltar / Denmark? I just don’t see the appeal to most people, it is out of place and does nothing to help / promote unionism (if that Is what people are thinking they are doing by singing it

Look at the difference when you have simple / universal tunes for - Alfredo / Jermaine Defoe, far better atmosphere as with the ‘every Saturday we follow / Viking clap routine (a song thankfully not bastardised (yet) by folk trying to cram in references to the provos / Northern Ireland or catholics!!

Thats it.
Agreed & ideally it would be the full Copland front, the traditional Rangers end.

The answer is simple:

Grow the size of the Union Bears in numbers and divide them into 4 stands, but that requires increasing their numbers considerably. That way you have Union Bears Surround Sound 5.1 Speakers around Ibrox :cool:

ub take the lead with chants etc as expected but with capo's at end of stands closest to BF to get as much people and rows rocking in sync with UB

Gerrard has brought up the Ibrox atmosphere plenty of times and how it helps the rangers squad and how intimidating it is for travelling teams and support, kunts that don't make an attempt to get the place rocking need a look at themselves because they're major letdowns imo, we expect nothing but the best from rangers players and they should expect nothing but the best from us in the stands

people turn there need to moan at everyrhing into singing and Ibrox will be 90 mins of noise

Back