Disabled Services at Ibrox

Official Ticketer
At the game on Sunday I noticed a few folks attending with a range of disabilities - one short-sighted, one deaf and a boy with Downs and his carer who were helped in the subway by some passing Bears. Made me proud to know that our support provide such a welcoming environment, a message reinforced by the recent Anyone Everyone campaign. It did make me wonder what the state of play is with Ibrox's disability services though. I know some posters have discussed this before and are very knowledgeable, but I was wondering if there'd been any talk of it amidst all the work going on with the stadium?

At the game on Sunday I noticed a few folks attending with a range of disabilities - one short-sighted, one deaf and a boy with Downs and his carer who were helped in the subway by some passing Bears. Made me proud to know that our support provide such a welcoming environment, a message reinforced by the recent Anyone Everyone campaign. It did make me wonder what the state of play is with Ibrox's disability services though. I know some posters have discussed this before and are very knowledgeable, but I was wondering if there'd been any talk of it amidst all the work going on with the stadium?
No need to wonder what the state of play is with Ibrox's disability services. It is simply an embarrassment to our club and the attitudes have not changed for years. From Martin Bain promising the earth and exchanging mobile numbers at an agm in the early noughties to the present day broken promises. Rangers FC do very little, nothing at all when they can get away with it. Or a token gesture when there is a pr opportunity or someone else is paying for it. Like the sensory room and the spaces at the front of the east enclosure. And you can add the 4 broomie spaces that were done simply to avoid an action by celtic for non provision of disabled spaces when they visited.

Forget that euro rules now state what provision must be made for disabled supporters, what choices the must have, what facilities they should have and how many should have access to the aforementioned basic requirements. Common decency and respect should be enough. But this season our club has once again gone back to their hands over the ears policy and done absolutely nothing. There have been no improvements in regard to facilities for our disabled supporters, no extra spaces to cope with demand and no further choice of viewing areas. Simply put, just another year putting up with the shambles that has been in place for so long. So the disgusting treatment of our disabled support continues as normal, with obviously no will to change it. As the previous years of neglect and broken promises make abundantly clear. Utterly disgraceful.

Our rsc had a 4.5 hour bus trip home on sunday and our disabled member still had water running out of his arse when we got home. I get it was monsoon conditions and you can wrap up well and seemingly waterproof but eventually, you lose.

Maybe the answer is to have a roof over your head for the couple of hours watching our team? Yes, I know, a somewhat radical thought in the 21st century.

But no doubt Rangers FC, as they have done for such a long time, will be doing further consultations and costings this tear, the fresh promises will be honoured and things will be dramatically changed for the better next season. If they are stuck they can always ask the likes of Partick Thistle for advice on how to do it.

Anyone and everyone campaign indeed, unless you are in a wheelchair. Then common decency goes out of the window and you will be treated like shit and denied your basic rights.

It is about time this was fucking sorted once and for all.

Unfortunately the above sounds similar to the very limited input Rangers has when it comes to providing service to Children and Young People that are open to social work. Glasgow social work teams send requests to all Glasgow clubs and we are miles behind Celtic with what we offer.

No need to wonder what the state of play is with Ibrox's disability services. It is simply an embarrassment to our club and the attitudes have not changed for years. From Martin Bain promising the earth and exchanging mobile numbers at an agm in the early noughties to the present day broken promises. Rangers FC do very little, nothing at all when they can get away with it. Or a token gesture when there is a pr opportunity or someone else is paying for it. Like the sensory room and the spaces at the front of the east enclosure. And you can add the 4 broomie spaces that were done simply to avoid an action by celtic for non provision of disabled spaces when they visited.

Forget that euro rules now state what provision must be made for disabled supporters, what choices the must have, what facilities they should have and how many should have access to the aforementioned basic requirements. Common decency and respect should be enough. But this season our club has once again gone back to their hands over the ears policy and done absolutely nothing. There have been no improvements in regard to facilities for our disabled supporters, no extra spaces to cope with demand and no further choice of viewing areas. Simply put, just another year putting up with the shambles that has been in place for so long. So the disgusting treatment of our disabled support continues as normal, with obviously no will to change it. As the previous years of neglect and broken promises make abundantly clear. Utterly disgraceful.

Our rsc had a 4.5 hour bus trip home on sunday and our disabled member still had water running out of his arse when we got home. I get it was monsoon conditions and you can wrap up well and seemingly waterproof but eventually, you lose.

Maybe the answer is to have a roof over your head for the couple of hours watching our team? Yes, I know, a somewhat radical thought in the 21st century.

But no doubt Rangers FC, as they have done for such a long time, will be doing further consultations and costings this tear, the fresh promises will be honoured and things will be dramatically changed for the better next season. If they are stuck they can always ask the likes of Partick Thistle for advice on how to do it.

Anyone and everyone campaign indeed, unless you are in a wheelchair. Then common decency goes out of the window and you will be treated like shit and denied your basic rights.

Personally I’d kick the press out (and house them somewhere else) and make provision for disabled fans in that row. Logistically may be difficult. Failing that there are a good numbers of other solutions available. I agree it’s not acceptable to have them getting Soaking wet when it can be avoided.

Seems like nothing has changed over the years. Took my child in a wheelchair once over a decade ago. My child got the privilege of sitting in the pissing rain in the front of the East Enclosure. His first and last visit to Ibrox.

Seems like nothing has changed over the years. Took my child in a wheelchair once over a decade ago. My child got the privilege of sitting in the pissing rain in the front of the East Enclosure. His first and last visit to Ibrox.
Why has he not been back since? Was it for that reason?

Got totally soaked when taking my disabled nephew on Sunday but so did a lot of people. Whenever we get the seats at far side of the enclosure you cant see for the stewards standing in the way at the corner at the front of the Broomloan and you cant even see the goals. We complain but they soon move back. Always treated well on entering and around stadium by fellow bears.

I’ve walked past the disabled section at the front of the EE and have to say the view they get is pretty crap. Not sure where else they could be accommodated though due to the access requirements

Although I have no first hand experience of using the facilities, quite frankly from an outsider position they seem embarrassing and unbefitting of our magnificent club.

Is there a reason why we can have a platform like we have in BR5 running the length of either the Broomloan or the Copland? And have a similar raised position(s) in the Govan. I’m sure Man Utd are currently renovating parts of Old Trafford to make it more inclusive and accessible to all.

I’ve walked past the disabled section at the front of the EE and have to say the view they get is pretty crap. Not sure where else they could be accommodated though due to the access requirements
Change the access, as is required. Simple. Except there is no will to do it. The Govan east corner is a relatively simple fix and would help with a limited amount, and it would be a start. But the club have chosen, again, not to do it. You have to wonder why.

But then again, it could have been done back when the CD was built but the club lied and said there was no demand. Disgusting attitude towards our support.
Although I have no first hand experience of using the facilities, quite frankly from an outsider position they seem embarrassing and unbefitting of our magnificent club.

Is there a reason why we can have a platform like we have in BR5 running the length of either the Broomloan or the Copland? And have a similar raised position(s) in the Govan. I’m sure Man Utd are currently renovating parts of Old Trafford to make it more inclusive and accessible to all.
No doubt they are, because it is required. Not Rangers FC though, our club is simply kicking it further down the road every season.

I've been a disabled (wheelchair user) season ticket holder since 1996. Other than a move from the West Enclosure to East Enclosure there's been absolutely no significant upgrades during that time within Ibrox.

I'm 37 and have yet to see the centre circle or even penalty box lines when at matches.

Season tickets used to be complimentary from the club which I was always led to believe was due to the poor view and being exposed to the elements. However I now pay for my season ticket as I believe everyone in the disabled section does.

That in itself doesn't bother me but what does bother me is paying that price and having no option to select a different area for a better view and being out of the worst conditions.

Like most I was absolutely soaked through on Sunday and right now the bearings on my wheels are totally knackered from all the water and the puddle on the ground where my space is.

I've written to Rangers and different stakeholders and haven't had any reply other than 'its something that's being looked into'.

I've been to lot's of stadium's in Scotland, Britain and whilst following Rangers in Europe and as far as disabled facilities are concerned Ibrox is one of the poorest.

I haven't even mentioned how ridiculous the waiting list debacle is. At least I'm able to have the chance to get to Ibrox.

I sit in the club deck and was embarrassed on Sunday looking down at disabled section in the east enclosure.
The area offers no protection in inclement weather to wheelchair users or helpers. Wheelchairs were sitting in large pools of water and I would happily partake in any campaign to encourage the club to provide better facilities.

I've been a disabled (wheelchair user) season ticket holder since 1996. Other than a move from the West Enclosure to East Enclosure there's been absolutely no significant upgrades during that time within Ibrox.

I'm 37 and have yet to see the centre circle or even penalty box lines when at matches.

Season tickets used to be complimentary from the club which I was always led to believe was due to the poor view and being exposed to the elements. However I now pay for my season ticket as I believe everyone in the disabled section does.

That in itself doesn't bother me but what does bother me is paying that price and having no option to select a different area for a better view and being out of the worst conditions.

Like most I was absolutely soaked through on Sunday and right now the bearings on my wheels are totally knackered from all the water and the puddle on the ground where my space is.

I've written to Rangers and different stakeholders and haven't had any reply other than 'its something that's being looked into'.

I've been to lot's of stadium's in Scotland, Britain and whilst following Rangers in Europe and as far as disabled facilities are concerned Ibrox is one of the poorest.

I haven't even mentioned how ridiculous the waiting list debacle is. At least I'm able to have the chance to get to Ibrox.
Wow. I never realised it was that bad. So poor.

That’s disgraceful

Forlannister on here is your go to guy for info

If you want to contact the club directly you want to speak to Liz Kay who is our disabled SLO

I'm totally shocked reading some of the experiences on here.
It's unacceptable to have such a shocking lack of proper facilities for our diasabled supporters.
I was delighted when the RFFF was used to spruce up the facilities at Auchenhowie for the youth teams but I'd have preferred these funds used to look after our supporters first if I'd known and I'm quite sure it would have received universal support.
Does anyone know if the RFFF is now cleaned out or could indeed be used to improve our disabled supporters lot?

Thanks for setting it out, I suspected that was the case but didn't know for sure. It had been months since I saw this topic last brought up, does seem like if there's to be any change it will need a real push by the fans. Could it be something Club 1872 champion?

I'm totally shocked reading some of the experiences on here.
It's unacceptable to have such a shocking lack of proper facilities for our diasabled supporters.
I was delighted when the RFFF was used to spruce up the facilities at Auchenhowie for the youth teams but I'd have preferred these funds used to look after our supporters first if I'd known and I'm quite sure it would have received universal support.
Does anyone know if the RFFF is now cleaned out or could indeed be used to improve our disabled supporters lot?
We should be sorting out this issue before we look at stadium expansion. At worst doing both together

Thanks for setting it out, I suspected that was the case but didn't know for sure. It had been months since I saw this topic last brought up, does seem like if there's to be any change it will need a real push by the fans. Could it be something Club 1872 champion?
C1872 were in discussion with the club about it. Not sure where the chat went

The recent campaign for everyone, anyone must have forgotten to include the disabled fans in their remit. or maybe ignored them because those facilities would cost actual money.

The facilities for our disabled supporters have always seemed to me to be shocking. If I remember correctly the number of allocated spaces was only increased ( east enclosure ) because it was a requirement when the stadium was used for rugby during the Commonwealth Games.

Notwithstanding that it is obvious to everyone that the most vulnerable of our supporters are housed in the most exposed part of the stadium in a country where wet weather is all too frequent. To see these supporters on Sunday, despite the result, looking thoroughly miserable and absolutely soaked through is something those in charge should be ashamed of.

Last edited:
Was looking down at our supporters myself on sunday,somthing really has go be done and with a matter of urgency as winter is not far away.

The fix is really quite simple use the away end for wheelchair users and put the away fans in bf1.

Was looking down at our supporters myself on sunday,somthing really has go be done and with a matter of urgency as winter is not far away.
When you come to think of it, Kilmarnock were taking a lot of flak for housing their disabled supporters under a flimsy tin roof but at least they were partially protected from the worst of the elements!

Would it be feasible to build a (structurally sound) roof? Or would that obstruct the view of the rows behind? I’ve never sat down there

Would it be feasible to build a (structurally sound) roof? Or would that obstruct the view of the rows behind? I’ve never sat down there
That was my first thought aswell mate,there should be some clever engineering solution to this am sure.

There should be a disabled lift in each stand. The one in main stand is tiny.
The middle section of each stand should be broadened and wheelchairs should be there, ensuring they get a good view.

It’s a disgraceful view, and in big games tons of police and stewards standing around in line of sight. Top priority should be establishing a raised/covered viewing area for these fans who have been treated so shabbily.

Not practical m8 unless we took out 4 rows of the enclosures witch no chance Rangers will do sad but true.
There is 7 wheelchair spaces in the away end 10x better view than the enclosures and could easily be adapted for our whole 75 wheelchair season ticket holders.

This thread, and the one after Killie, really makes me question the Everyone! Anyone! campaign.

It smacks of a typical PR campaign of style over substance.

They could have used the launch as a platform to discuss how Ibrox will be improved for wheelchair users and other fans with specific needs.

Then it might have meant something.

WE really should be better than this.

Have supported Rangers coming up for 60years we gave up our season 2 tickets 2001 due to our mobility
Last year we were told that there was a lift to club deck so decided to got to European games ,when enquired was that we would have to prove we were both disabled and could not use stairs but also had show documents, thought this was disgusting and told them so but also emailed to no this day still no response from the club I still love ,not the club people who are running it.
WATP

Have supported Rangers coming up for 60years we gave up our season 2 tickets 2001 due to our mobility
Last year we were told that there was a lift to club deck so decided to got to European games ,when enquired was that we would have to prove we were both disabled and could not use stairs but also had show documents, thought this was disgusting and told them so but also emailed to no this day still no response from the club I still love ,not the club people who are running it.
WATP
Sorry mate but I don't think that's an unreasonable request.
There are loads of folk in the Club Deck who probably just couldn't be arsed climbing the stairs and try it on so they need to ensure that you do indeed require assistance.
I'm quite sure if you contacted them with any suitable confirmation that you indeed have mobility issues (a letter from your GP, production that you're a blue badge holder) or many other ways to prove your condition, they would look on it sympathetically and issue you with a lift pass.
They're not monsters!
I have issues similar to yourself and I have to say I was given every support that I thought I required, including a lift pass and the assistance of a steward to help me to my seat if I required it.

Sorry mate but I don't think that's an unreasonable request.
There are loads of folk in the Club Deck who probably just couldn't be arsed climbing the stairs and try it on so they need to ensure that you do indeed require assistance.
I'm quite sure if you contacted them with any suitable confirmation that you indeed have mobility issues (a letter from your GP, production that you're a blue badge holder) or many other ways to prove your condition, they would look on it sympathetically and issue you with a lift pass.
They're not monsters!
I have issues similar to yourself and I have to say I was given every support that I thought I required, including a lift pass and the assistance of a steward to help me to my seat if I required it.
Cheers m8 may try this year again now I know it can be done
WATP

Cheers m8 may try this year again now I know it can be done
WATP
No worries mate, I'm sure they'll do everything they can to ensure you have as easy and safe access to your seat as they possibly can.
They just need you to provide a wee bit of evidence that you genuinely require it so don't be offended.
Good luck!

Not every disabled person has a wheelchair or even a carer. Access for people with mobility issues is terrible.

I have MS and it's a weekly struggle to get to Ibrox. Fortunately my seat is at the back of GF6 but to get there either means a very slow walk from the Subway (stairs and crowd) or from a far away parking space. I have a blue badge but there are no spaces.

I have asked about parking behind the SJ stand and have been asked for evidence before I can get onto a waiting list- even though there were lots of spaces on Sunday.

My slow walk meant that I was soaked by the time I got to my car on Sunday.

Last edited:
The sensory room is a useful addition to Ibrox. But, in my opinion is merely a tick box exercise. The view is ok from the viewing area but in the bigger games the view is shocking looking towards The Copland Road end as the number of Stewards and Police make it virtually impossible to see without standing up for the whole game.

Not every disabled person has a wheelchair or even a carer. Access for people with mobility issues is terrible.

I have MS and is a weekly struggle to get to Ibrox. Fortunately my seat is at the back of GF6 but to get there either means a very slow walk from the Subway (stairs and crowd) or from a far away parking space. I have a blue badge but there are no spaces.

I have asked about parking behind the SJ stand and have been asked for evidence before I can get onto a waiting list- even though there were lots of spaces on Sunday.

My slow walk meant that I was soaked by the time I got to my car on Sunday.

When the rugby was held at Ibrox during the Commonwealth Games I attended with my two children. At the time I was using a walking stick and limping having not long undergone surgery on my ankle. At Ibrox Subway Station there was a buggy for those with mobility issues and I was offered a lift to the stadium ( I turned it down as I felt I didn’t really need it). Maybe the club could look into something similar on match days given the numbers travelling to the match by subway.

When the rugby was held at Ibrox during the Commonwealth Games I attended with my two children. At the time I was using a walking stick and limping having not long undergone surgery on my ankle. At Ibrox Subway Station there was a buggy for those with mobility issues and I was offered a lift to the stadium ( I turned it down as I felt I didn’t really need it). Maybe the club could look into something similar on match days given the numbers travelling to the match by subway.
Who by? A Subway person, a Clydesider or someone else?

I've got ADHD, I've given up trying to get help with tickets, tried to speak to the disability team / SLO, got nowhere, well saying that they never even called me back despite numerous emails. Have to make do with watching at home. Pish.

This thread needs actioned! I’m sure 99% of people who attend Ibrox had no idea the terrible conditions disabled supporters face whilst trying to watch our team. I agree with the above posts that any remaining RFFF funds (and then some) should be used to seriously upgrade the facilities at Ibrox to bring them up to a standing befitting a club like ours. Nobody should feel like it’s a chore coming to Ibrox!

I've got ADHD, I've given up trying to get help with tickets, tried to speak to the disability team / SLO, got nowhere, well saying that they never even called me back despite numerous emails. Have to make do with watching at home. Pish.
What is it specifically that you struggle with in regards to tickets for games? Is it anything on of us on FF could help with?

Who by? A Subway person, a Clydesider or someone else?
Not sure who provided the “buggy” but it was a police officer who was standing near it who asked if I wanted to use it.

As an aside to this, I found this article which indicates that Club 1872 were going to fund a mobility vehicle. I don’t know how this was progressed though.

http://club1872.co.uk/news/project-poll-results-walking-football-and-mobility-vehicle/

If we want to be seen as a 21st century Club, we should have transport like a golf cart that shuttles up and down from Mafeking Street (Subway) to the Copland and Sandy Jardine Stands. Say between 2pm and 2:30. Disabled fans could have a pass for it, and it could transport us up the slope to somewhere near the turnstiles.

An electric 6-seater vehicle (with a roof) like they use at Malaga Airport to give disabled assistance. (they have a full team of folk who do everything possible to help travelers who have accessibility issues).

After 2:30 it would probably get too busy to operate.

That would be a godsend for fans like me.

If we want to be seen as a 21st century Club, we should have transport like a golf cart that shuttles up and down from Mafeking Street (Subway) to the Copland and Sandy Jardine Stands. Say between 2pm and 2:30. Disabled fans could have a pass for it, and it could transport us up the slope to somewhere near the turnstiles.

An electric 6-seater vehicle (with a roof) like they use at Malaga Airport to give disabled assistance. (they have a full team of folk who do everything possible to help travelers who have accessibility issues).

After 2:30 it would probably get too busy to operate.

That would be a godsend for fans like me.

Seems there was a plan for such a vehicle.

http://club1872.co.uk/news/project-poll-results-walking-football-and-mobility-vehicle/

Does anybody know what happened?

If we can have a vehicle to go round sweeping up rubbish after the fans have nearly all left, can we not get something like this?

Back