"Celtic shouldn't have to play European qualifiers"

Well at least they won’t have that problem next season as that problem will be with the 2019/20 Champions!!!!

The current Champions League format is far from perfect but I wouldn't want to watch the champions of e.g. Malta, Kosovo, Bosnia, Estonia, Faroes, Latvia, Armenia etc qualify for anything other than the early preliminary or qualifying rounds. They would generally be cannon fodder for big Group Stage teams should they parachute in there.

As for Celtic they must be the most Narcissistic club in world football with their 'Ideas
of Granduer' that they are so superior they shouldn't have to play qualifiers in the Champions League! In reality they are little better than the champions of Denmark, Bulgaria, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Sweden etc as the co-efficients show.

On the few occassions they have qualified for the Champions League Group stages they then became cannon-fodder for the Barcelona's, PSG's etc. Much and all as I love too see them humiliated and embarrased in those matches, I prefer when it comes to watching matches (involving other teams) that these are closer games i.e. a 3 v 2 match is more exciting and enjoyable as opposed to 7 v 0 game

UEFA could correct this anomaly of 'Champions' League by just renaming it something like The European League of Eilte Clubs 2020/21. You can only be champions when you win the damn thing.

They shouldn't be, if the shoe was on the other foot we would be saying exactly the same thing

Totally ageree.
It is a nonsense that any league winner has to qualify when down to 4th place can get in from 'stronger' leagues.

Champion League has been a total disaster for European football and I'd happily scrap it and go back to knockout again or at least have a totally random draw for leagues with no pre qualifying needed. That would be more exciting.

Champions should never have to play more games than non-champions.

I hate Celtic, but I'm not too staunch to know when they're right about something.

Champions should never have to play more games than non-champions.

I hate Celtic, but I'm not too staunch to know when they're right about something.

Think a lot of people are forgetting that, fingers crossed, we'll be in this position this time next year, and you can guarantee that they'll be a lot of moaning about how the Champions of Scotland 19-20 need to play so many qualifiers.

We'd agree if we were champions playing in the champions league
It's because of their lack of progress in Europe they have to,its all based on the coefficient.

The fact is they have failed continually to qualify during their unimpossed free run in the Champions League.

Dhims and then the real world ...

11th December 2013 - Barcelona 6-1 dhims
27th July 2005 - Artmedia Bratislava 5-0 dhims
12th July 2016 - Lincoln Red Imps 1-0 dhims
28th August 2002 - Basel 2-0 dhims
30th July 2014 - Legia Warsaw 4-1 dhims

Only Champions should get straight entry into the “Champions League” not fourth place teams whose leagues are subsidised by TV deals due to high population. It’s not going to change though in the great capitalist beast that is modern European football.

I actually agree , although maybe for different reasons.
The champions of Scotland should play in the Champions league.
isn't a champions league anymore, liverpool won it and they aren't champions of their own league.just a European super league in all but name now.should never be that way

The reason is Scottish teams getting beat by teams that they should be beating over the years.Kilmarnock just letting country down again.
Does seem unfair when sides like ourselves and Celtic who have reasonable European pedigrees have to play so many qualifying rounds and 4th place teams from England Spain Germany etc all go into group stages.Uefa just want the sides fron bigger countries involved in Champions League

That's the same logic that will eventually lead to the Champions League being for the top five big leagues only!

He's right. It's an absolute joke that the Champions of Scotland (and Holland etc) have to go through umpteen qualifying round while the team that finishes fourth in England qualify automatically for the Champions League. UEFA have, and continue to, rip the arse out of football.
The team that finished 4th in England won the tournament
Surely that would suggest they belong in that company

Remember a time when it was just the champions of a country who were in it.Now it’s utter pish.It bores the drawers off me.Every season there is hardly an upset.It is a predictable set of matches and most are utter gash.

Remember a time when it was just the champions of a country who were in it.Now it’s utter pish.It bores the drawers off me.Every season there is hardly an upset.It is a predictable set of matches and most are utter gash.
Have to agree it has become all too predictable, no more surprises

Similar piece about us in the Evening Times on Friday:

UEFA SHOULD RETHINK THE QUALIFYING PROCESS
Rangers may have lost to Progres in the first Europa League qualifying round two years ago on their return to continental football after a seven year absence.
But what exactly is the point of the Glasgow giants taking on Luxembourgian minnows? Why did they have to play two matches against tiny St Joseph’s of Gibraltar? These mismatches are non-events.

Yes, Scotland’s poor coefficient means that their representatives in Europe now have to go through four rounds before getting into either the Europa League Pr Champions League group stages. But UEFA should seriously reconsider doing away with these meaningless encounters when they next revamp the competition.
https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/17795921.rangers-2-0-progres-five-things-learned-Ibrox/

Said the same for years. Waste of time watching now.

Bring back the old format with winners only and an unseeded draw. That would make it exciting :)

Qualifiers are actually the best part of it now, very little corporate in the stands and champions playing champions in the main.

The CL should be a straight knock out competition with no seeding and league winners only. Throw 64 names in a hat and lets see what happens. If needs be then play a few qualifying games to get the required 64 teams.

Cambell Ogilvie is to blame for the current arrangements based on pure greed.

The CL should be a straight knock out competition with no seeding and league winners only. Throw 64 names in a hat and lets see what happens. If needs be then play a few qualifying games to get the required 64 teams.

How do you get 64 teams though from 55 nations?

Was this your view when Ogilvie first mentioned the concept?

You couldn't make this twat up.

If they didn’t have a hand in us being relegated to the bottom of Scottish football, then the European challenge that they have so miserably failed at over the last 8 years could have had a different outcome. Beating Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs etc is one thing, but a good European outfit or a well organised Rangers team with some good footballers is a different entity. Most of their squads value is based on winning trophies against inferior opposition, the cards are certainly very unstable.

Back