Supercup refereed by a woman

Was only a matter if time before a female referee got a mens game. Imagine it will start to happen more and more and they will become part of World Cups or Champions League fixtures.

Impossible! Their knees are too weak for running and they don't have the emotional capacity to handle the sounds of clapping and whirring of the television cameras. They lack the emotional fortitude to stay in one place for ninety minutes, and will be doing their hair and calling for a pedicure as the match goes on. What's more, if it rains the light may reflect off of the ball and cause the irrational womanfolk to be distracted by a glimmer of light. It'll never take off.

Pretty sure been a big thread on it already tbh - fact is a ref is a ref. Doesn't make a difference in the grand scheme. Provided she is good at her job thats all that matters. We all know there are good refs and bad refs, maybe the Scottish game would be better off with female refs as their male counterparts clearly suck at it.

Does it really matter if she is good at her job?
One of the EPL games at the weekend had a lady assistant who was excellent, gender makes no difference in these situations, it’s getting decisions correct.

I couldn’t give a toss as long as they come to the correct decision, which is by far the most important thing.

Please let it be her.

Please let it be her

484-F0112-3-E14-470-F-BA44-C88-CCAD99452.jpg

If competent enough then no reason why not. May even 'temper' the abuse dished out to referee perhaps?

I suppose the only argument is that there is no female referee who has refereed a tie at this level in the men's game. It's a cyclical discussion though as the reply 'how can women get more experience in such matches' is a valid one.

Was there not a big deal made about not having men referee women’s football in the World Cup?

I don’t care either way, but for a ‘top referee’ she doesn’t appear to be that experienced

Im not sure refereeing the womens game can in any way be compared to the mens game, the step up in pace, skill and physicality may be an issue for her, lets hope for her sake she doesn't f uck this up, but if she does lets call it out no excuses because she is female

Im not sure refereeing the womens game can in any way be compared to the mens game, the step up in pace, skill and physicality may be an issue for her, lets hope for her sake she doesn't f uck this up, but if she does lets call it out no excuses because she is female
What skill and physicality do referees need to have?

They need the ability to keep pace with the game for its duration. What else?

Hope she does well, all we want from a ref is consistency, impartiality and good decisions, however if she's shite we need to be able to call that out without being called sexist - in today's world that's very likely to be the response to any criticism

What skill and physicality do referees need to have?

They need the ability to keep pace with the game for its duration. What else?
By way of comparison the womens game to top of the range mens game is chalk and cheese, its not rocket science, the differences are stark and as such the quality of refereeing needs to improve accordingly, or didnt you watch the womens world cup, do you recall some of the refereeing catastrophes at that level

By way of comparison the womens game to top of the range mens game is chalk and cheese, its not rocket science, the differences are stark and as such the quality of refereeing needs to improve accordingly, or didnt you watch the womens world cup, do you recall some of the refereeing catastrophes at that level
Hopefully, they get to the standard of men's referring to where no mistakes are ever made. :D

If she's fit (in the sporting sense), capable enough to keep up with the play, and I don't have to watch any women actually attempt the kick the ball, then I don't see a problem with this.

Hopefully, they get to the standard of men's referring to where no mistakes are ever made. :D
lest hope they get to the standard of mens refereeing and can keep mistakes to a minimum, thats the aim all around I would hope, men or women, as you said before theres no skill required so anyone can do it

The on field reaction of John Terry and Jamie Carragher would have been interesting if they’d still be playing....

If shes good enough then it doesnt matter

However, she has only refereed 2 games in Ligue 1 so I dont know how that is enough to be given a game of this magnitude

So shes only been given the game because of her gender and isnt it discrimination theyre trying to stop?

The refs let a lot of late and hefty tackles go unpunished in the Women’s World Cup.

If shes good enough then it doesnt matter

However, she has only refereed 2 games in Ligue 1 so I dont know how that is enough to be given a game of this magnitude

So shes only been given the game because of her gender and isnt it discrimination theyre trying to stop?

Considering this game is a glorified friendly I'd say she is.

PC rubbish.

When was the last time a guy refereed a ladies match??

Lot of sh**e if you ask me.

No win situation for her.

Performs well and it will be "and so she should, she's paid to do it"

Performs poorly and "well what do you expect from a burd"

The main issue is her lack of experience.

Refereed two league games and then handed the Super Cup Final? It's a farce.

Then again, we have female pundits that played for Arsenal Ladies and it's being treated as the equivalent of Thierry Henry's career.

I'm not getting why she can be considered underqualified here?

Not a massive game and it's not fucking rocket science.

Just in terms of 'she hasn't refereed a European final in the men's game'. There's an argument that it would have been reffed by someone who had done so if the men's list was used. You'd counter this by saying that it isn't a 'real' European final, and that every male who has refereed one had to be given the chance to do so at some point.

Back