Supercup refereed by a woman

The main issue is her lack of experience.

Refereed two league games and then handed the Super Cup Final? It's a farce.

Then again, we have female pundits that played for Arsenal Ladies and it's being treated as the equivalent of Thierry Henry's career.

I've convinced my bird that the best way to avoid any arguments about male vs female athletic performance is to think about them as two completely different sports operating under similar rules.

Like weight classes in the boxing it is clear that a women's team could never compete in a world where gender divides didn't exist. In fact, if gender divides were removed from football, tennis, etc., you'd see a complete disappearance of women from the upper levels of these sports.

It will always be the case that male junior athletes can beat female world record times (in sprinting, for example), so it's best to consider them two completely different sports as the male physiological advantage is so great that it completely changes the way in which the game is played. On that note, female accomplishments shouldn't be held to equal that of the men's game (just as no-one thinks Lomochenko could beat Deontay Wilder) but should be celebrated in their own right.

Just in terms of 'she hasn't refereed a European final in the men's game'. There's an argument that it would have been reffed by someone who had done so if the men's list was used. You'd counter this by saying that it isn't a 'real' European final, and that every male who has refereed one had to be given the chance to do so at some point.

She's barely refereed anything at all in the men's game.

A male referee would not be given the Super Cup Final two months into their senior career.

She's barely refereed anything at all in the men's game.

A male referee would not be given the Super Cup Final two months into their senior career.
Then that's a valid argument as the ESC is viewed by a lot of fans as a trophy akin to the other European silverware. Atleti consider it the biggest victory in their history, for example.

I've convinced my bird that the best way to avoid any arguments about male vs female athletic performance is to think about them as two completely different sports operating under similar rules.

Like weight classes in the boxing it is clear that a women's team could never compete in a world where gender divides didn't exist. In fact, if gender divides were removed from football, tennis, etc., you'd see a complete disappearance of women from the upper levels of these sports.

It will always be the case that male junior athletes can beat female world record times (in sprinting, for example), so it's best to consider them two completely different sports as the male physiological advantage is so great that it completely changes the way in which the game is played. On that note, female accomplishments shouldn't be held to equal that of the men's game (just as no-one thinks Lomochenko could beat Deontay Wilder) but should be celebrated in their own right.

Yet the media, especially the BBC, wants us to consider them equal.

And that isn't defending actual illiterates like Paul Merson. He's there because he played the game at EPL level so we have to listen to him muttering shite on it. The likes of Aluko and Scott haven't but we're meant to regard their achievements as having an equivalent value. They don't. They might well be nice and intelligent people but there's lots of nice and intelligent people I'd love to hear talk about football. They're there because the BBC decided that the top players in the women's game should be regarded as equal to the men's game (cf. Rose Reilly getting into the SFA Hall of Fame alongside Alex Ferguson).

A woman referee being handed this match ahead of male officials with vast experience is an insult. It's disrespectful to men.

Yet the media, especially the BBC, wants us to consider them equal.

And that isn't defending actual illiterates like Paul Merson. He's there because he played the game at EPL level so we have to listen to him muttering shite on it. The likes of Aluko and Scott haven't but we're meant to regard their achievements as having an equivalent value. They don't. They might well be nice and intelligent people but there's lots of nice and intelligent people I'd love to hear talk about football. They're there because the BBC decided that the top players in the women's game should be regarded as equal to the men's game (cf. Rose Reilly getting into the SFA Hall of Fame alongside Alex Ferguson).

A woman referee being handed this match ahead of male officials with vast experience is an insult. It's disrespectful to men.

You're exactly correct.

Last edited:
Hmm, no I actually think it would get better. Mindless abuse of male officials seems acceptable at football, but for the majority I reckon it being vented towards a woman would be less.

We had a thread on here a couple of weeks ago about abuse directed at a female official, and the consensus amongst about half the posters was along the lines of "it's banter and if she doesn't wanted to hear chants of 'get your tits out', she shouldn't be there."

It's a total non-story IMO. Someone's gender has no bearing on their ability to understand and apply the laws of the game.

What's your verdict people?

XiHmKhZ.png

We had a thread on here a couple of weeks ago about abuse directed at a female official, and the consensus amongst about half the posters was along the lines of "it's banter and if she doesn't wanted to hear chants of 'get your tits out', she shouldn't be there."

It's a total non-story IMO. Someone's gender has no bearing on their ability to understand and apply the laws of the game.
But their experience does

I'd suggest in real life, half the folk saying it's banter would change their tune if a female referee was getting absolute dogs abuse.

who really cares if its a woman , she surely cant be any worse than the shite that ref our games

I might be a dinosaur but I don’t agree with this. Women should officiate Women’s games and Men should officiate men’s games. Might not be popular but that’s my opinion

30 years ago I wouldn't have believed it if you told me i could watch live tv on a 'phone' anywhere in the world and also 'facetime' anyone on the planet. (and other stuff like that)

An elephant refereeing a football game in the future ? Rule nothing out !! :D
If you were going to be told you'd FaceTime in 30 years you'd likely make plans to leave the country :))

As long as they know the rules, I couldn’t care.

And they have great tits.

Only joking....

PC rubbish.

When was the last time a guy refereed a ladies match??

Lot of sh**e if you ask me.

No win situation for her.

Performs well and it will be "and so she should, she's paid to do it"

Performs poorly and "well what do you expect from a burd"

My niece plays for a ladies team. I’ve gone to watch her loads of times and she hasn’t been reffed by a woman anytime I’ve watched.

I think she’s a Liverpool fan, denied Chelsea 3 fouls and given 2 Liverpool 2 soft ones. The card for the Chelsea captain there was a joke

The blonde lines woman should get a job at an airport guiding planes she enjoys playing with her flag so much

Was only a matter if time before a female referee got a mens game. Imagine it will start to happen more and more and they will become part of World Cups or Champions League fixtures.

Yeah, but where's the equality in all this? I don't recall seeing any male officials in the Women's World Cup.

Not against it if the referee is ranked higher than male equivalents, but that is not the case.

This is mainly a PR/PC stunt, and until people who make these decisions realise that joe bloggs doesn’t give a shit, as long as it’s “the best person for the job” then it will just continue to be PR/PC stunts.

Im not sure refereeing the womens game can in any way be compared to the mens game, the step up in pace, skill and physicality may be an issue for her, lets hope for her sake she doesn't f uck this up, but if she does lets call it out no excuses because she is female
Physicality? She’s not going to be going into a 50-50 with Kante

Thought the officials did well tonight. Except for the VAR team at the penalty.
Probably the men..

Can’t agree with the comments that she’s was good, I thought she was poor, not helped by the abomination of the new offside rule.

No problem with female officials, just don’t ram the women’s game down my throat as I’m not a fan and I say that as an ex women’s team coach.

I think it has to be remembered that the whole idea of the Super Cup is a bit of a gimmick in the grand scheme of things so why should UEFA not employ a gimmick of their own in using a female referee. It's not as if it's the Champions League Final or World Cup Final or something much more serious. Personally, I have nothing at all against female referees as long as they know the rules and implement them properly. Although I do agree that, outwith these Mickey Mouse games, ability should count far more than political correctness.

Back