Match of the Day/ VAR

Honestly no. I think people thought that VAR would just provide a black and white decision and clear up controversies and errors. However, it's already been seen that it's still open to interpretation. However it certainly hasn't helped that it has also come into the EPL at the same time as new rules for handball and for goalkeepers at penalties

Think it was Danny Murphy that said its taking some of the enjoyment out of football and I agree with that - that one today, how many people actually saw it in real time. I get that the decision is technically correct but its killing the ebb and flow. However its only a matter of time til it comes to Scotland and no doubt it'll be a shambles. Is it in the europa league group stages?

I like it. It came of the citeh players arm, it was not a goal. Normally it would have been given.
If it got introduced in the SPL I would be okay with it.

Nah, keep as simple game played by humans (occasionally orcs) simple with human decisions aka open to mistakes.

Shouldn't have to rely on luck or technology to prove you’re the best.

Nope hate it.
Thought it would be good for contested decisions between players, but for uncontested stuff like this or hairline offsides GTF. End up more like a computer game, Could see live crowds voting with their feet and leave it to the geeks to decide who wins, then watch it on the telly

Think it was Danny Murphy that said its taking some of the enjoyment out of football and I agree with that - that one today, how many people actually saw it in real time. I get that the decision is technically correct but its killing the ebb and flow. However its only a matter of time til it comes to Scotland and no doubt it'll be a shambles. Is it in the europa league group stages?
Its trying to make an imperfect game perfect to the detriment of us fans.

What a volley that was from Pukki.

Regarding VAR, I was all for it but given the way it was used at the women’s World Cup and that shambles today I don’t want it anywhere near here. Especially when you could have Collum video ref and Clancy on the pitch.

Honestly, I’d say yes, purely because some of what goes against us is so unbelievably sinister and blatant, that were it not dealt with after VAR review, I really think folk down South etc would start to say “hang on a minute, somethings up here” and it would be widely reported that there’s dodgy goings on in Scotland.

VAR had %^*& all to do with that decision.

VAR was implemented correctly and it's the rule that's changed re: handballs!
No you are incorrect.

The rules have been changed to suit VAR. if there was no VAR we would still have the original rules and the goals would have stood.

I'd take it up here, the amount of offsides we get given against us would half overnight as generally most the linesmen up here are dire

the sort of decisions when you only see one replay from BT/Sky and it's inconclusive/or a bad decision but they have no intention of showing it again

You really think so?

Who do you think they'll put in charge of the review team?

Think of the damage the RC compliance officers have done to us through the years in comparison to the filth, no, make that in comparison to the rest of the league.

Be careful what you wish for.
A foul is a a foul and offside is offside. They can not argue with the laws of the game.

We have more of the ball and play in the opponents half more often than not. We should, in theory, get more free kicks, penalties and red cards for opposing players.

How many times in the last couple of years would VAR have helped us?

It’s not an opinion as fuckwits like Michael Stewart would have you believe. It’s the laws of the game.

A foul is a a foul and offside is offside. They can not argue with the laws of the game.

We have more of the ball and play in the opponents half more often than not. We should, in theory, get more free kicks, penalties and red cards for opposing players.

It’s not an opinion as fuckwits like Michael Stewart would have you believe. It’s the laws of the game.

Nurse!!!!!!

No way would VAR have stepped in and sent off a Stokes etc ect

I hate VAR.

However a lot of people moaning about todays decision saying it wasn't clear and obvious, it was it clearly strikes his arm and under new rules its not a goal and a free kick.

Nah, keep as simple game played by humans (occasionally orcs) simple with human decisions aka open to mistakes.

Shouldn't have to rely on luck or technology to prove you’re the best.
Were you saying that when Morelos goal was chopped off in Moscow?

Fouls are still an opinion of the referee.

It’s killing the game. I hope it never comes in up here

If that had hit the defender's arm it would not have been a penalty.

So different rules apply to defending than attacking.

That rule is a farce but without VAR the goal would still have been given.

VAR is designed to disallow goals where possible.

Great stuff.

Get it to F*ck.

In theory, VAR was introduced so as to eliminate subjectivity on the part of referees in their decision-making. But subjectivity still exists since the VAR personnel making the call still have to exercise their judgement based on how they interpret the visual evidence.

For eg. in the City v Spurs game. a City player was barged in the back by a Spurs defender as he was attempting to control the ball in the 6 yard area, the referee's view was obscured. The incident was shown again on replay and in each instance I would have given city a penalty, yet the decision by the VAR official was to play on - which I found to be utterly ridiculous. Obviously, I had a completely different take on it. By the way, I'm not a supporter of either team.

If VAR is to be retained, it should be used as 'confirmation' in matters such as - did the ball cross the line, was there encroachment, was there handball, was their malicious intent in a tackle or clash, etc. and should only be employed at the request of the i ref.

Back