Match of the Day/ VAR

I'd take it up here, the amount of offsides we get given against us would half overnight as generally most the linesmen up here are dire

the sort of decisions when you only see one replay from BT/Sky and it's inconclusive/or a bad decision but they have no intention of showing it again

Offside decisions will not be affected using VAR unless a goal is scored, and then it will be looking to either find an offside in build-up or not find an offside.

VAR will not stop players being flagged offside in the general run of play, so you can expect roughly the same number of dodgy decisions as before.

It's got to be clear and obvious decisions only that VAR decides.
That today was a goal as far as I'm concerned.

What does that even mean? It was 100% a handball under the new rules, how much more clear and obvious does it have to be?

Really don't get the chat about ruining the game. What's worse - an illegal, last minute goal or waiting a few minutes and reaching the correct decision through VAR?

I like it. It came of the citeh players arm, it was not a goal. Normally it would have been given.
If it got introduced in the SPL I would be okay with it.

var wasn't the problem with the arm ball at city.
it only proved the ball hit the arm.
the change in the law that stated ANY hand/arm ball that leads to a goal will be penalised.
alternatively, it wouldn't have been a penalty under var,
only if the ref thought it should be.

VAR isn't the problem.
The new handball rules are just blatantly stupid. Unless the rulemakers see sense and scrap the recent changes they will ruin football.

This, no players, fans or referees were happy with that decision tonight. You cant penalise someone because the ball hits them on the hand.

Personally I just love that the correct decision is happening most of the time, the game has been littered with incorrect decisions for over 100 years resulting in leagues and cups won falsely no matter what league it has been. Apart from the main argument against it being the flow of the game and I hate jumping about with my mates to celebrate a goal to see it chalked off despite the fact the correct decision is mostly made! I find it strange so many against it on our forums considering the fact that we think that referees are against us?.If we ever get it in the Scottish leagues and If it it ever gets scrapped then don't ever come on here moaning about bad decisions. Maybe the compromise in the future should be the manager of each team is allowed x amount of appeals in a game, and after that the refs decision stands no matter what?. That way it should be only the most contentious decisions that are judged.

Last edited:
Of course not! But I’m like everyone else, shouting for the sake of Rangers when they play.
What I was getting at, from what I’ve seen in the past couple of years, we would have benefited more than the teams that we have played with the addition of VAR.

Outside of that I quite like it as a neutral. Watching everyone go mental thinking they’ve scored a last minute winner then.....a great big GIRFYU

That rule is a farce but without VAR the goal would still have been given.

VAR is designed to disallow goals where possible.

Great stuff.

Get it to F*ck.

And yet it's awarded some amount of penalties that wouldn't have been given?

I'm all for it. VAR isn't at fault, it's the rules that need clearing up.

No you are incorrect.

The rules have been changed to suit VAR. if there was no VAR we would still have the original rules and the goals would have stood.

That's just not true.

The new handball rule exists in leagues without VAR.

The day we get that VAR shit is the day I stop going to games and go and watch Non League instead. Absolutely ruining the game. The new handball rules are a ficking joke, where is the Man City player meant to put his arms? Right down by his sides, no unnatural movement towards the ball, never in a million years should that be given as a handball.

Absolute sickener for City...
If you were offered VAR to be introduced to the SPFL from next weekend would you want it?
Difficult because Wallace's goal stands and things 'might' be different.
I'd probably plump for ...not for me, if push came to shove but we don't have a league with 12 grass pitches let alone Killie providing the same VAR angles as Ibrox and the Enabler stadia provide.
Anyway I always thought the laws of the game had to be the same from grass roots to professional. How did this VAR come to pass?
About time the home nation's FAs took the world's game back

The day we get that VAR shit is the day I stop going to games and go and watch Non League instead. Absolutely ruining the game. The new handball rules are a ficking joke, where is the Man City player meant to put his arms? Right down by his sides, no unnatural movement towards the ball, never in a million years should that be given as a handball.
This is all turning a bit crazy now because unlike you I like VAR but I agree regarding the handball / striking arm rules they have become a farce.

Yip 100%. It would benefit us.
Your a dreamer pal, look at the decisions made after a game has being played, re- refereed if you want and still the wrong decision was made.
Scottish football is too feck up to be honest enough to make the correct decision and this Compliance Officer’s position proves it.

They have now made any hand ball as being deliberate, that’s a complete fecking nonsense, tonight I watched a corner being swung in and not deliberately hitting a players hand but still through a passage of play Citeh scored only for it to be rule out through an incident that didn’t really effect the reason the goal was scored.
If that is what they’re using VAR for then it will kill the game of football.

VAR isn't the problem.
The new handball rules are just blatantly stupid. Unless the rulemakers see sense and scrap the recent changes they will ruin football.

The reason the new handball laws have been introduced though is to bring in VAR. Less non-black and white decisions. Once VAR is in for a while they will surely get rid of that stupid rule.

I said to my mate before I was so happy that we play in.a league with no money if it means we can’t afford VAR. Let all them get on with whatever sport they are trying to create and we will keep playing ours.

A foul is a a foul and offside is offside. They can not argue with the laws of the game.

We have more of the ball and play in the opponents half more often than not. We should, in theory, get more free kicks, penalties and red cards for opposing players.

How many times in the last couple of years would VAR have helped us?

It’s not an opinion as fuckwits like Michael Stewart would have you believe. It’s the laws of the game.
The CO’s are supposed to work to the laws of the game and look where that has got us.

Look at the arguments in here alone about whether VAR decisions have been right or wrong.

If it ever comes to Scotland...

Just you sit back and watch Dom, Mick and Barry furnished with powers never known before, do untold damage to our club.

Do you think they’ll give a f uck if they get it “wrong”?

VAR would be a disaster for us.

At first I thought it was a good idea but I’ve changed my mind. Saying that, the new hand ball rule also honks and was something to do with tonight’s uproar. In old money (last year) that was a goal. And so it should have been!

The CO’s are supposed to work to the laws of the game and look where that has got us.

Look at the arguments in here alone about whether VAR decisions have been right or wrong.

If it ever comes to Scotland...

Just you sit back and watch Dom, Mick and Barry furnished with powers never known before, do untold damage to our club.

Do you think they’ll give a f uck if they get it “wrong”?

VAR would be a disaster for us.
Of course it would, I don’t really know what it is about our support being so subservient to what’s being happening to the club for so long (feck knows the board have being) that they can’t really grasp the rules aren’t the same because of the blatant, unashamed intimidation from the Timpanzees and their puppets in the media.

The match referee should still have the final say like in the World Cup there should be a screen at the side of the pitch for the match ref to view and then only he can decide if the incident - whatever it is needs to be upheld or reversed.

It wasn't under FIFAS new handball rules.

The rules are shocking surrounding handball, but VAR analysing nearly everything is irritating. Really hate VAR and much prefer watching matches that don't have it. It's also a further separation from grassroots football as only the top divisions have it.

A foul is a a foul and offside is offside. They can not argue with the laws of the game.

We have more of the ball and play in the opponents half more often than not. We should, in theory, get more free kicks, penalties and red cards for opposing players.

How many times in the last couple of years would VAR have helped us?

It’s not an opinion as fuckwits like Michael Stewart would have you believe. It’s the laws of the game.

VAR would have disallowed quite a few of our goals last season, so let's not pretend everything went against us.

When you spend 5 minutes after a goal checking to see if someones armpits off side then the games up. Turns in to a farce. Even Lloris was laughing shaking his head.

They trialled VAR in one of Bournemouths pre season games ( Lazio) and they had a goal chalked off. A defender went to clear a cross and it hit the arm ( which was by his side tucked into his body ) of an attacker who was challenging him not even a foot away, fell to another attacker who scored. I thought then it was a stupid rule because if it hadn't hit his arm it would have hit his body anyway, so he gained no advantage from it. I can understand it if the arm is outstretched, but not when it just hits you.

The system they use is awful! Big fan of the 3 challanges in tennis and the elective double checking by refs in rugby, but it all seems so random inconsistent and provides a level of accuracy that is sometimes actually inappropriate.

The VARs use especially around penalty retakes blatently favours the taker and had catastrophic conseqences in womans world cup. It was a farce and they are trialling it at the very top level bizarrely!?

I have no idea of the qualifications required to get a place on a VAR committee, whether it be former refs only or ex players included, but just for talking sake we’ll let the SFA introduce their VAR team.

“The SFA are pleased to announce our video review panel for season. 2020/21.
The panel shall consist of former grade1 referee Stuart Dougal, former English league grade1 referee Dermot Gallagher, Former Women’s grade2 referee Bernadette McMonaghan and finally former footballer Michael Stewart”

You may mock this, but it wouldn’t be too far off the mark.

At the season’s end there will be a Followfollow thread along the lines of
“VAR Count for season 20/21.”

Rangers have had 11 goals chalked off to Celtc’s 2 through VAR.

Rangers have had 1 penalty given to Celtc’s 5 through VAR.

Rangers have conceded 4 penalties through VAR to Celtc’s none.

Blah, blah, blah, and so on.

Stick your VAR right up your hairy farter because it will mean the league destiny is in the hands of rabid Rangers haters who won’t give a f uck if they get decisions wrong.

The compliance officer?
You ain’t seen nothing yet.

It still comes down to someone opinion. Goal line technology is fact.
The penalty in City game is a penalty in my opinion, var said no.
The Sterling offside goal last week, what part of him was offside and could he score with that body part? Again somebody's opinion.

I liked it at the world Cup but they've made up these stupid new rules and they really are a joke

Imagine defoe scoring that (jesus) on the 1st September and then it being disallowed, it would be bedlam

Like all refereeing, it requires consistency

The spurs defender had a city player by the throat in the box yesterday and it was no pen yet sterling got booked for less

Ridiculous and all VAR seems to have done is reduce the amount of goals

No , for me technology should be used for straight yes or no decisions like on the goal line , it’s a Definitive answer with no need for interpretation, unlike penalties , red cards etc which are still based on the refs opinion which can be wrong , so I don’t see the point.

No , for me technology should be used for straight yes or no decisions like on the goal line , it’s a Definitive answer with no need for interpretation, unlike penalties , red cards etc which are still based on the refs opinion which can be wrong , so I don’t see the point.

Agree with this.

If they are wanting to move it to a system which would be more pallatable it should only be used factual decisions or completely blatant ones (e.g. a two footed leg breaker in the box that was somehow missed by the ref).

Using it for tight decisions is & will ruin the game.

Don't get me started on the new handball rule. Anyone who thinks that is the best way to govern handballs is an idiot & knows nothing about football.

Those complaining probably wanted City to win.
There was too many problems with the previous rule on handball in the penalty box and no consistency with decisions.
The new rule was simplified to make it clear to players about what handling in the box would now mean. Every club was informed and the players.
For anyone to start moaning about it now is a joke.
The same with offsides it doesn’t matter how slim the decision is , offside is offside.
So those complaining about it are wasting their time and energy, they are the rules of football now so give it a rest. I wish we had it up here, if it is clear on video it means we can’t be cheated by a ref influenced by a hostile crowd.

VAR not the main problem in the City game (or Wolves last week) it’s the stupid rule change about any attack where the ball touches an attacking player’s arm that leads to a goal the goal won’t stand. A stupid rule brought in simply to show the benefits of VAR.

A perfectly good goal disallowed for no reason.

Those complaining probably wanted City to win.
There was too many problems with the previous rule on handball in the penalty box and no consistency with decisions.
The new rule was simplified to make it clear to players about what handling in the box would now mean. Every club was informed and the players.
For anyone to start moaning about it now is a joke.
The same with offsides it doesn’t matter how slim the decision is , offside is offside.
So those complaining about it are wasting their time and energy, they are the rules of football now so give it a rest. I wish we had it up here, if it is clear on video it means we can’t be cheated by a ref influenced by a hostile crowd.

I used to think it would cut out the cheating against us, but look at the penalty appeal that was turned down for City yesterday, if VAR is saying that's not a penalty its a riddy

Those comparing it to the CO. What a croc of shit.

a person appointed by a biased organisation who we have no real say on gets the job. The last 3 have all had Celtic leanings and they make decisions behind closed doors.
With VAR it is three refs I believe and we see the evidence they are using on screen as they make the decision.
Of course this is fairer and couldn’t be as easily manipulated as the CO nonsense is up here.

VAR isn't the problem.

This ^^^

Even if the bheasts scored a goal like Citeh scored I wouldn’t complain, last night wasn’t a handball, it’s just fucking stupid and ruining the game.

This wasn’t VAR’s fault even though I hate it.

I quite like it when im watching other leagues but do not want it in scottish football.

Bobby Madden out on the pitch with big Craig Thomson watching replays of every incident desperate for any excuse to chop Rangers goals off and get more of players carded..... aye but what about the penalty we would get with 10 mins to go when 3-0 up against Hamilton.:rolleyes:

If we win the league this year i think it will be brought in next season as tims and press will demand it.

The rule is the problem, I get where they are coming from with it but again a rule poorly implemented.
It should have been where the ball goes directly into the net, or where it allowed the player accidentally handling the ball (in what is normally deemed a non infringement way) allowing him to control it and score, anything other than that should be play on. This should only apply in the attacking half as well.

Where does VAR stop, defender accidentally in his own box handles the ball in a way which doesn't break the rules and then boots the ball up the park, goalkeeper trips up and ball goes in the net, is it a goal or a penalty? It can't be neither or both lol.

The hand ball rule is crazy, if the hand plays ball yeah no problem but if the ball plays hand not for me even Lloris was laughing at the decision

We can't have VAR and still have part time referees. If we want to improve refereeing in Scotland we need the refs to be full time professionals before we start thinking of VAR.

See this new handball rule, I get that because City scored from it the goal was disallowed. That's fair enough, I agree with that albeit it could be cleared up a little.

See if the ball hits the Spurs defender in that same incident and falls favourably for another Spurs defender to clear does play just go on with no infraction made then?

See this new handball rule, I get that because City scored from it the goal was disallowed. That's fair enough, I agree with that albeit it could be cleared up a little.

See if the ball hits the Spurs defender in that same incident and falls favourably for another Spurs defender to clear does play just go on with no infraction made then?

Yes which is farcical.

Interestingly I'm sure it was a City goal last season that was the reason for this stupid rule. Aguero sliding in on the line and the ball hit his arm accidently and went in

Yes which is farcical.

Interestingly I'm sure it was a City goal last season that was the reason for this stupid rule. Aguero sliding in on the line and the ball hit his arm accidently and went in

Imo this handball rule should not have been changed, it's a incident that is so miniscule in the amount of times it happens.

I don't feel comfortable in a goal being chopped off because it hit a forwards arm when he had zero intention of using his arm.

Back