Plastic pitches = conning the fans

defender

I thought that game was the worst I have seen, wouldn't be judgemental of the teams performance or any of the players but the pitch kills the game, even the win in Gibraltar wasn't good to watch.

Wish the club would speak out from a winning position on this (again if they already have), anyone remember or name a decent game on plastic ?

I don’t think you can criticise clubs like East Fife for having a plastic pitch. It’ll be a healthy source of income for them and allows them to avoid training costs etc.

What shouldn’t be allowed is plastic pitches in the Premier League. There’s is no excuse for the clubs and it impacts on the product we sell to TV and fans.

Ball bobbles so much and takes the pace out of the game.

I don't mind plastic pitches if they are properly maintained but they aren't so they just get worse and worse.

Should seriously ban them from the top-flight at least.

It's not like we play East Fife regularly however for other teams in the Premiership, it's a different story.

as said above you cannot criticise lower league clubs for these pitches, but the games for watching can be brutal it's a joke that spl teams are allowed them they ain't similar to playing on grass,you are just glad to be in the lead on them. they are definitely a leveller.even though you will get people saying it's the same for both sides

I don't understand why so many of our games on astroturf are televised?

It's a really poor advert for scottish football.
Pretty much every one of both our and the scum's away games are on TV so as long as teams have these pitches they'll continue to be broadcast.

I agree with the op's sentiment but i wish if we did come out n slate these surfaces we should do it against other teams in our league, namely killie n livy etc.

I have yet to see a good game of football on a plastic pitch.

Fans are being short changed on these pitches, ticket prices shouldn’t be anymore than £10 for any fan watching a substandard product.

To be fair teams like East Fife have a legitimate need for one

Definitely shouldn't be allowed in the top league and imo teams with plastic pitches should be forced to play cup games away or at a neutral venue.
The game up here is struggling to get sponsorship without making the game look amateurish

Last edited:
Didn’t the Kilmarnock or Livingstone manager last season openly admit the plastic pitch gives them an advantage?

I don’t think you can criticise clubs like East Fife for having a plastic pitch. It’ll be a healthy source of income for them and allows them to avoid training costs etc.

What shouldn’t be allowed is plastic pitches in the Premier League. There’s is no excuse for the clubs and it impacts on the product we sell to TV and fans.
Greg Stewart on rtv says he has played at bay view many times and they had a great grass park back then. I get the financial side but the game should be played on grass

They are fvckin honking. If you want to play in the top league or cups it should be you can't have one.

Vital to the youth/amateur game nowadays, but they have absolutely no place in professional football.

I think a start should be that they are banned from being TV games. Punishment for clubs who have them.

Public parks have better grass pitches than these plastic ones. It’s not a fucking excuse, there are far smaller clubs in the non-leagues who manage to keep grass pitches, so a club with league status - never mind a Premiership club - should be required to have one.

Reactions: dmg
It is terrible , my boy has played down here since he was 7 and has never played a proper game on astro and he is now under 15's . I wouldnt let them anywhere near the top divisions with those pitches.

They are fine for the lower leagues but no team in the top flight should have one.

I agree with all of the above, the pitches are horrible but you can’t blame the clubs, it’s in the rules. It’s the SPFL who need to change the rules, even then with the cost involved it would be something brought in over a few seasons, not straight away.

Players mistiming jumps and tackles, ball has an awkward bounce, and the ball doesn't move at a natural pace.

Rip them up and burn them.

I don't understand why so many of our games on astroturf are televised?

It's a really poor advert for scottish football.

Could it be that the poets in charge of tv like to show us in games where they know we’ll struggle? That way the wider uk audience thinks we’re not all that and our players aren’t able to command a decent transfer value

Could it be that the poets in charge of tv like to show us in games where they know we’ll struggle? That way the wider uk audience thinks we’re not all that and our players aren’t able to command a decent transfer value
But if a conspiracy theory there!!

No it’s the same with the Shettlestons. It’s just that all our away games are televised, and so many teams have these crap pitches now.

Love the commitment to the conspiracy mate but TV is ruled by advertising/subscription revenue. The more people want to watch a game the more they make so I doubt they think along the lines you suggest.

I thought that game was the worst I have seen, wouldn't be judgemental of the teams performance or any of the players but the pitch kills the game, even the win in Gibraltar wasn't good to watch.

Wish the club would speak out from a winning position on this (again if they already have), anyone remember or name a decent game on plastic ?
We have spoke out a few times. Usually just gets us ridicule from the usual in the media.

Love the commitment to the conspiracy mate but TV is ruled by advertising/subscription revenue. The more people want to watch a game the more they make so I doubt they think along the lines you suggest.

Nothing. And I mean NOTHING would surprise me about the bastards in charge of football in this country.

This is correct. No place for them at the top table.

Isnt it time the other clubs in the SPL called a meeting and get these pitches banned in the top flight ,SFA or SPFL are not doing our game any favours by allowing these pitches and if you cant afford the up keep of a grass pitch then you shouldnt be allowed in the SPL plain and simple ,plenty of smaller clubs can maintain a grass pitch so no excuse for likes of killie , hamilton ect .as much as i hate the c**ts i would much rather go play at tannadice or places like east end park than rugby park or accies

One of my pals is an East Fife fanatic and since the start of the season he's been telling me that their pitch was decent. It was absolutely honking imo and how anybody can expect to see decent football performed on that when you have the added factor of a very strong wind is nuts. The great Brazil team of 1970 would gave struggled on that today.

If anyone more technically gifted than me (about 99% of ten year olds) can mock up a gif of the ball bouncing up and down after defoes superb turn and touch that should be evidence enough that plastic pitches should be allowed no-where near top flight European football.

I hate watching games on plastic pitches the players hate playing on plastic pitches. They must at least ban them from the top league. We have 3 in the top division next year they should be banned. We are the laughing stock for anyone that watches football.

Absolutely this. Spfl should be stepping in to better the product on offer. But we all know they couldn't give less of a sh*t

Back