Edmundson and Helander

The main thing Gerrard had to address when he arrived was the defence, and my God has he built solid foundations. 4 very good central defenders and Allan McGregor as goalkeeper.

Ooh Laa Laa

Although there's loads of negative comments in our impartial mhedia about how Gerrard will find it impossible to keep a happy dressing room with so many players not getting any game time, I haven't noticed any such thing.
The principle of having two equally capable players for every position is working a treat as far as I can see.
Goldson and Katic have performed excellently so far but they've just been reminded that Helander and Edmundson are more than capable of taking their jerseys.
This is a great position to be in!

3 at the back for most of the game would allow the wing backs to make a midfield 5 hopefully giving us more options of a pass to break down packed teams.

As opposed to now when in most games our wing backs do exactly the same thing and have 2 wide forwards in front of them?

Playing 3 at the back would essentially mean dropping a wide forward for a defender. The way we play, our wing backs are usually part of the attack already.

Got great cover now in central defence ,big Katic fan but don't think he will be at his peak for another couple of seasons but very good just now ,Edmundson looks a Quality player just now ,Goldson a warrior and Helander not seen enough of him yet but what I have seen looks solid . Hoping SG gives 3 at the back another go in easier games ,think the way Edmundson carries the ball into midfield could be a great assert to us .

Katic an edmondson are Young aswel
But there my favourite 2 of the 4

Goldson is great aswel

Not sold on helander yet
Be interesting once fully fit an up to speed though
Helander looks far more assured than their dumpling at less than half the price. Having experienced Internationals in Davis, Defoe, Helander and now King will bring invaluable leadership, and should help us avoid that Jan/Feb blip we had last year

There all class, i've always loved Katic and for me Helander is going to be a brilliant signing. Who are the best two, difficult one, glad I'm not the manager.

Helander looks far more assured than their dumpling at less than half the price. Having experienced Internationals in Davis, Defoe, Helander and now King will bring invaluable leadership, and should help us avoid that Jan/Feb blip we had last year

Hopefully mate
I just don’t think he’s up to speed yet

That’s why he’s my least favourite out the 4

It'll be interesting to see whether it's Goldson or Katic that makes way for Helander in the big games coming up on the next few months.

Both Helander and Katic look more suited to a back 3, they follow their strikers out aggressively, sometimes even into the other half, leaving a lot of room for opposition AMs running from deep. But we can't really play a back 3 often given we are normally up against 1 striker and 9 defenders, so every time we used it we would be rusty. Therefore it's going to be a back four with some frightening moments

3 at the back for most of the game would allow the wing backs to make a midfield 5 hopefully giving us more options of a pass to break down packed teams.
Going forward we pretty much move to a back 2. Having a 3rd central defender would limit us more.

.......................McGregor
Tav....Goldson Edmundson..Helander.Jones

................Davis..Jack...Aribo

........................Arfield
........................Morelos

5-3-1-1 with Tav and Jones having very few defensive responsibilities

I wouldn't be against it.

One bad result and it was shelved indefinitely. I'd like to see it at home against a side that sits in and see how we go.
I'm no Stevie G, but I'm sure 3-0 up at half-time and we can run this for 45 minutes a few times to see if the players can get it going?

.......................McGregor
Tav....Goldson Edmundson..Helander.Jones

................Davis..Jack...Aribo

........................Arfield
........................Morelos

5-3-1-1 with Tav and Jones having very few defensive responsibilities

So what you seem to be doing there is playing our current team with Helander replacing a left back? Could be done but why not just play as 4,3,3 with Helander actually being the left back?

Back