Have we ‘hardened’ as a support?

TheHazard

Vanity Queen
Good times create weak men.

Hard times create strong men.

Watching them completely sh*t their pants over the last week has been hilarious.

They’ve had it easy and have become drunk on success.

Does the ‘House of cards’ also include their support?

And what about us?

Have the last 7 years ‘hardened’ us?

Bar a few bear pit perma-pessimists, I sense a deep sense of resilience amongst our support.

Interesting times ahead.

The last seven years have turned me into a very bitter person when it comes to all things Scottish football. I will be an insufferable lady's front bottom when 55 is confirmed.

Hardened is probably the right word, but I'll never ever forget what all those bastards done and I'll certainly never forgive.

And an AWOL one like thousands of others when we win it :D

I wouldn't say hardened. As their attempt to achieve 10 in a row nears the end game we can see an inherent progression in our team and Celtic fans sense regression. They are definitely getting twitchy but, as we all know, that could change in a week.

Watching them completely sh*t their pants over the last week has been hilarious.

And what about us?

Bar a few bear pit perma-pessimists, I sense a deep sense of resilience amongst our support.

Interesting times ahead.
The hysteria in the match threads suggest not

To an extent I agree. However, I think that we've still got a long way to go to overcome the hardships of the last 7 years or so. It's been said by lots before, but there's a huge amount of scar tissue with the support. You only need to look at the collective nervousness that appears when Hibs pull one back last week. It was a game that we completely dominated, but harsh lessons over the past few seasons have almost conditioned us to expect a collapse in those circumstances.

I feel with Gerrard at the helm both the team and the supporters are building a strong winning belief, but it's far from unshakeable. I think it's very important for a variety of reasons that we win the League Cup this season as it will prove to everyone (most importantly ourselves) that we have the mentality required. Until we win something it's premature to talk about the power balance shifting.

I think it's also clear to see that despite the bravado from the other side of the city, their confidence is only a thin veneer and if we can exert consistent pressure, neither their manager or fanbase are equipped to deal with it.

I watched that game today and it brought back memories of being in Methil when we played them in the league during our troubles.

A stark reminder of where we have been and what we have been through the last 7 years, I could not handle that again ever in my lifetime.

It feels so good to be back where we are right now and having people in Scotland talk about us as genuine title contenders.

I'll celebrate so hard when we win our first major trophy and 55 will be something else for all of us.

Hopefully not long to wait at all.

I would say it has softened them as opposed to hardened us

They have played without competition for about 7 years and been indulged by football authorities/politicians/media to think they are untouchable in every sense

The shock that a challenge to that 'superiority' is starting to bring shows just how mollycoddled and lazy they have become

I think the appointment of Steven Gerrard as manager has emboldened us. He is a man of the highest quality and standards and they have put Neil Lennon up against him.

Rangers are back. We have a leader as manager and players of quality in the side. The support is happy and feeling good about itself.

This only ends one way. Bring on the Celtic!

I think the appointment of Steven Gerrard as manager has emboldened us. He is a man of the highest quality and standards and they have put Neil Lennon up against him.

Rangers are back. We have a leader as manager and players of quality in the side. The support is happy and feeling good about itself.

This only ends one way. Bring on the Celtic!
The appointment of Steven Gerrard certainly hardened me.

I have a book which I note snide comments from people I have come across over the last 7 years, you know the ones, not really into football, but let their bitterness slip.
I’m hoping FF have a plan for cards, like the Xmas cards, to be sent to these pricks.
I might even go out my way to send Tom Boyd one, signed by Beaton, inviting him to a party down the pub.

The last seven years have turned me into a very bitter person when it comes to all things Scottish football. I will be an insufferable lady's front bottom when 55 is confirmed.

Hardened is probably the right word, but I'll never ever forget what all those bastards done and I'll certainly never forgive.
I will never forgive either no money from me for any away teams, those days are gone.

I was much like you, only teams i realy hated were Celtic and the sheep, even so i still thought,when the tims were Going through their hocus pocus bad times, i enjoyed watching them being humiliated but didnt want them out of buisness, now i would gladly see every FLU***ING one of those clubs that put the boot into us wiped of the face of the earth along with their moronic supporters, i used to go to Scotland Games done Wembley twice Great, the moron supporters have destroyed the Scottish national squad for their own selfish ends in the hope of a crumb from the great baron greenback s table, i have no great interest in The Scottish team anymore i dont wish them ill but Until the paedo enablers are struck from the Seen F All echelons of power,they are also my enemy and i want them Destroyed, I am so proud of my team, but more so our fans We didnt, WE havent and We wont SURRENDER

I have a book which I note snide comments from people I have come across over the last 7 years, you know the ones, not really into football, but let their bitterness slip.
I’m hoping FF have a plan for cards, like the Xmas cards, to be sent to these pricks.
I might even go out my way to send Tom Boyd one, signed by Beaton, inviting him to a party down the pub.
I would love for every bear to buy an extra box of fire work s this year and put the fireworks away till may and every one let them of at a given time gmt of course, or they lighted balloons red white or blue helium balloons, like the first of january straight after the bells air horn s etc

Amen Brother

I watched that game today and it brought back memories of being in Methil when we played them in the league during our troubles.

A stark reminder of where we have been and what we have been through the last 7 years, I could not handle that again ever in my lifetime.

It feels so good to be back where we are right now and having people in Scotland talk about us as genuine title contenders.

I'll celebrate so hard when we win our first major trophy and 55 will be something else for all of us.

Hopefully not long to wait at all.
Remember Souness' first season - We only beat East Fife at ( the old ) Bayview on penalties ; Look at , and remember , what followed .......

Our fans, since Feb 14th 2012, have been nothing short of magnificent.

I see the post from the excellent @Bluenozebob who said that , "I wish we now had half the backbone of our 70's and early 80's support. " and I disagree. I have follow followed from the mid 60s and in no way would the Rangers crew of the 70s put up with 'the journey' in the way that the Bears of 2012 onwards have done.

Backbone? Resilience? Loyalty? The current crop of Rangers fans have it abundance and I will shed tears when we lift our 55th title in May.

I would love for every bear to buy an extra box of fire work s this year and put the fireworks away till may and every one let them of at a given time gmt of course, or they lighted balloons red white or blue helium balloons, like the first of january straight after the bells air horn s etc

Sounds like a plan for 55 :))

And what about us?

Interesting times ahead.

The years, and what happened to us, have focused my support.

These days, I rarely watch any football not including Rangers.

My sole footballing focus, and interest, is placed firmly on Rangers.

55 will possibly require surgery to remove the Clarkson like smug bastard grin off my face.
watching the implosion of the demented will fill my heart with protestant joy.

Our fans, since Feb 14th 2012, have been nothing short of magnificent.

I see the post from the excellent @Bluenozebob who said that , "I wish we now had half the backbone of our 70's and early 80's support. " and I disagree. I have follow followed from the mid 60s and in no way would the Rangers crew of the 70s put up with 'the journey' in the way that the Bears of 2012 onwards have done.

Backbone? Resilience? Loyalty? The current crop of Rangers fans have it abundance and I will shed tears when we lift our 55th title in May.

I get what you're saying Bud, re our current support, and I've been following from around the same time as your good self.
My post was more aimed at the topic of the OP, in respect of hardening as a support in general.
I just feel that back then, we had an element of strength about us, that kept certain issues at bay, which nowadays, seem to be thrown at us willy nilly.
EG, the ongoing trial by Sportscene, the Kilmarnock shambles, BBC Scotland, the Compliance officer and so on.
Different times both from a football and political perspective I guess.
Irrespective, the loyalty of the Rangers support as a whole since 2012 has been nothing short of remarkable......and continues to be so.

My feelings exactly mate,smashing post.

We’re in the 70s now, and yes from the 1950s being live and let live, in the past. NOW no way these beasts that have Infested all media and Government with the Republican Natsis. We do have people we know of a different religion and respect that. However we live in times where there are 19th Century Terrorists (Political Sense) ruling our Country and the only way to put them down is to revolt and VOTE THEM OUT, and don’t listen/watch 19th Century Terrorist broadcasts. We are the Majority don’t let that shit in Edinburgh put us down.

I don't remember much backbone about our early 80's support. It dwindled away to rock bottom by 85/86 pre Souness.

The support since 2012 has been phenomenal.

10th May 1980 at Hampden for one.
Quite a few confrontations with the Aberdeen mob in their silly clothes near the hill behind the Beach End early to mid 80's.
Ditto away to Dundee Utd, Hibs and Hearts on the way back to where our buses were parked.
Bohemians v Rangers 1984.
These were instances where opposing supporters ( and Southern Irish Police) thought they could take liberties with our support, but found out it wasn't exactly as simple as that.

Before they raped us I had no feelings either way about other teams apart from the huns and the sheep I have always hated them and that will never change. I used to go to Scotland games home and away .
Now I detest every team ( mind you made friends with some of the wee teams on the rise to the top so teams like East Stirling and Ayr were respectful to us ) ,I detest the National team now with a vengeance.
I'm guilty as charged from some on here for being to confident this season .Pish I've watched us annihilate the huns last season ,so they have won the last nine trophies but their team is sliding ,they defo have a downgrade in manager .
We are far better than last year our players have improved ,our signings have strengthened our squad and we have Aribo .Our manager was a rookie last year now with a years experience under his belt he will not make the mistakes he made last season. So sorry if it offends some in here but I think we ,yes we will win the treble this year.

Anyone who thinks that mobs support has softed against us needs to go get a mental check up, they hate us, absolutely utter detest us, they would see us dead and buried and Ibrox flattened.

They've been revelling in what happened to us, the day we win the league I will celebrate like never before.

I have noticed their level of hatred and obsession is higher than I can ever remember. So too their sense of victimhood and paranoia. Alas I can see 55 leading to civil war.

You would have thought it would have made us more resolute and cautious with a healthy dose of pragmatism.

It really hasn’t.

The circle jerking for guys like Coulibaly, Cardoso, Kamara was premature. There were guys wanting to give Green and Pedro more time. Some wanted Murty on a three year deal.

I think the example that embodies it most was the treatment of a poster on here who said he saw Pena out drinking and folk jumped on him. The optimism over him and Herrera was very farfetched.

There’s a real psychological experiment to be had in what seems to be our desire for a saviour and a pin up, even when evidence suggests the contrary on that individual.

My heart has certainly been hardened over the last seven years.

I've a lot less tolerance for people talking ill informed s**te, or making 'jokes' about Rangers in a social situation, and I'll call out guys I've known a long time, where previously I would have laughed it off.

I'm also quick to point out how the other mob have been essentially made to look good by the rest of Scottish football until fairly recently (a raw nerve with most of them).

Have you seen this place when we drop points? It was a fucking madhoose when we went through against Progress in what was effectively a dead rubber.

This place is not a barometer of our Support neither is twitter and facebook, talking to people in Rangers pubs/clubs is chalk & cheese to the madness that gets typed out on here

Send him a card with a picture of his beelin' facial expression, caught on camera when the Rangers young lads won the cup.

For me, strengthened, not hardened. Each time we've had to eat shit on this journey I've thought, and my children feel the same, it will only make it all the sweeter when we're finally back where we belong, champions. I'm not bitter, I'm just longing for that joyous day. And I can see it coming.

Back