Realistically how far can we go in Europe these days?

When you look at the teams who've won it recently our chances are slim its CL sides that are winning it recently like Chelsea Atletico Man United Sevilla etc but Slavia Prague made the semis last year and I think we would at least give them a run over two legs
Well, we will be a CL side next season ;)

It all depends on the draw that is if we get to the group . looking at it the other way if we do qualify some of the No 1 seeds will want to avoid us , most of the No 2 seeds will want to avoid us ,and all of the No 3 seeds will want to avoid us .

Group stages is a unbelievable achievement from the first qualifying round. After that to get out the group is cool but you know you are going to draw a team with a budget miles more than ours and it becomes impossible then.

Would winning in Luxembourg have improved our coefficient? If so then it's important we win these games every year until its high enough for us to be seeded appropriately.

I am just happy to have a decent tie in the last round before the group stages. It's a big test for us against a team that seem to pop up regularly in European competition.

Wolves were seeded higher and got Torino so it's all relative.

If we managed to get into the knock out stages this year it would be an immense achievement.

Getting back in the group stages and being competitive in the 3 Ibrox games will be over achieving and gives us a shout at a last 32 spot same as last year

Getting into group stage after the amount of games we have to play and at the stage of the season we have to play them is an incredible achievement . But with a bit of luck quarters final would be fantastic.

It's not anymore difficult than it was 10/15 years ago.

Only thing us the qualifiers but hopefully we'll sort the coefficient in the next few years.

We need to focus fully on Legia, which is not a given. If we get into the group stages again then it will be a good test of how far we have improved. On current form I wouldn’t like to play us.

Gdansk.

Seriously though, if we can get to the group stages it is a massive achievement considering the amount of qualifiers we need to play!

I feel this current team / squad could take anyone in Europe when on form. We play some very nice stuff.

Of Europa League? The final

Look back to 2008, we would have had the exact same debate. Financial gulf was just as large, idea of a Scottish team in a final was nonsensical, and we still did it.

Anythings possible.

The financial gulf is orders of magnitude bigger now than it was in 2008 mate. Nobody can compete with the top Spanish, German, Italian, English and French sides financially anymore.

I'm not saying its impossible btw, Rangers and the scum are two clubs who are definitely capable of doing a lot better, in every sense, than they currently do within the confines of Europe. Whether that be receiving higher transfer fees and sponsorships to fund their efforts, producing quality youth players, recruiting quality players on the cheap from around the World etc, there's no reason why the Old firm cant be on a level eventually with your top end "second tier" nations clubs, llike top dutch team, top russian teams, top greek teams and so on.
Of course many of these clubs receive higher TV income, but for most its a minimal amount more than us.

Ajax nearly got to the Champions League final last year, that shouldn't be forgotten. They did that based pretty much entirely on youth players and the odd expensive purchase.

As of this season, if we were very lucky in the draw i reckon we could maybe make it to the last 16 of the EL. This Rangers team is way better than the Rangers team of last years group stages, and we should have qualified for the last 32 then.

Legia first though, two group stage appearances in a row via the first qualifying round would be tremendous.

The financial gulf is orders of magnitude bigger now than it was in 2008 mate. Nobody can compete with the top Spanish, German, Italian, English and French sides financially anymore.

I'm not saying its impossible btw, Rangers and the scum are two clubs who are definitely capable of doing a lot better, in every sense, than they currently do within the confines of Europe. Whether that be receiving higher transfer fees and sponsorships to fund their efforts, producing quality youth players, recruiting quality players on the cheap from around the World etc, there's no reason why the Old firm cant be on a level eventually with your top end "second tier" nations clubs, llike top dutch team, top russian teams, top greek teams and so on.
Of course many of these clubs receive higher TV income, but for most its a minimal amount more than us.

No one could compete with those 5 leagues back in 2008 either, just the players in those leagues get richer.

2008 was the most extraordinary run ever, Christ we wouldve been over the moon with getting out the champions League group that year, and for some going out and pumping Lyon in their backyard was still a good campaign. No one couldve predicted what happened in the uefa cup

So it definitely can still happen, and by the way, a Scottish team in a euro final is statistically due, if you include 92/93 as a final (and we fucking should!!!) Then Scottish teams generally had a team in a final every 5-10 years:

61, 67, 69, 72, 83, 87, 93, 03, 08

Rangers in 2020 would suit me just fine

Im sorry to say but the europa league is our level. If we can make the league stages for 2, 3 or 4 seasons on the bounce that would be some achievement.
Its all about getting the coefficient up & earning some decent money compared to whats offered here.
I know everyone wants champions league, but i think thats beyond for the moment. Sorry to sound defeatist

Let's beat Warsaw first.
Personally I would take a beating in Europe to win the SPL title. That's the priority

Know what you're saying but making it to the latter stages of Europe would be huge for the club and I'd take a Europa League trophy over the SPL any day.

Our seeding is the hindrance to getting out of the group stages. I might be wrong but Im sure if we qualify we will be in pot 4 again, which means 3 teams in our group have a higher co-efficient than us every single year. To qualify , we are having to punch above our weight time and time again.

Can we do it though? If we keep Morelos and we do get to the group stages, I have a feeling we will get out of it this year. It's then down to favourable draws and home form.

Beat Spartak at home last season and we'd have been through in all honesty.
Ironically Grezda could have put us through with one fairly straightforward shot at goal.

Looking at the financial gulf between us and the big leagues in Europe these days it makes achieving any inroads into the later stages of European football a very tall ask for us.

However comparing the squad with last year we have improved massively to the point where I believe we could give anyone in Europe a game on our day. Last season's squad had guys like Ejaria, Coulibaly, Middleton, Lafferty, Grezda & even Dorrans featuring in the games against Spartak Moscow and Villarreal - where we more than managed to hold our own.

That Villarreal team we drew with twice last season managed to reach the last 8 of the competition. Is it possible that with a few big performances and a decent draw we could do the same?

Is making a run into the latter stages of the Europa League more within in our reach than we think?

No need to put Middleton in the same bracket as those other lads he was very good in those games as well as most games he played

Only the top sides can deny us progress. Yes we could fail at various stages. But there is nothing to fear. We are as good as any team up to the semi finals

With this squad and good luck with the draw we could get to last 16 I reckon. That would be a major achievement in itself given what weve been subjected to in recent years and the shit state of Scottish football.

Our best possible season would now be CL group stages, finish 3rd then an extended EL run which, with a bit of luck could see us in the semis, then a bit more luck, the final.

If we get to the group stages then depending on the other teams we meet , I think winning the group is a possibility , maybe second , this team looks very , very promising , but at that level it's a tough gig . Here's hoping though ;)

I never expected us to qualify for the groups last season. Getting there was as good as winning it for me. Thing is, we were very unlucky not to progress from that group and expectation levels are now raised.

Until the coefficient improves, the group stages in the Europa is our realistic realistic expectation.

I’ve always believed that if we reached the knockout stages, then we have a chance. We are a good team.

I didn't believe in 2007/8...and we got there.

Nobody is thinking about Broadfoot, Faye, Dailly, Adam, McCulloch in hindsight and thinking "these guys could be legends"

As Far East as Russia, as far west as Portugal, as far north as Norway and as far south as Greece.

Yes, it's no problem, Rangers are more than capable of going far, so long as Rangers show up strongly in defence and hit teams on the counter, Rangers are more than capable. We'll soon be in the Champions League group stages if we win the league as well.

I think making the group stages is a success for us where are sit currently, getting though into the knockout stages however is certainly not beyond us. I don’t agree with others that The co-efficient will effect us that much.. our ranking is based more on where we’ve been on the last 6 years and not where we are as a team right now.... I’d fancy our chances against most of the team who sit well above us in UEFa’s rankings...

Let’s get past the Poles and see where it takes us!

Maybe no further than the next fortnight.
We will certainly find out soon enough.

However, we are in it to win it.
Of course, that is a huge aspiration, but nonetheless, I would be disgusted if our players held the same opinions of many in our support regarding Europe.
Steven Gerrard came to Rangers because he knew that he would have a chance of competing with good level clubs around the continent, you can easily see that this gets his football juices flowing.

Liverpool without Europe just isn't Liverpool.
Well guys and gals, when I was a lad, we had reached a European final before Liverpool had even got going, indeed we had hit three finals with a victory before they even had their first bauble.
In my opinion Rangers without Europe simply isn't Rangers.
That is why Steven Gerrard gets it!

Anyone who doesn't understand the current project better get up to speed.
Steven Gerrard isn't here because Rangers are in touching distance of league number 55, that will just be a means to an end, he is here to take his managerial ability and his ambitions to the very heights of the game, and for Mr Gerrard that height is found in competition in Europe.

That said, ...let's get that title won on our way.

Looking at the financial gulf between us and the big leagues in Europe these days it makes achieving any inroads into the later stages of European football a very tall ask for us.

However comparing the squad with last year we have improved massively to the point where I believe we could give anyone in Europe a game on our day. Last season's squad had guys like Ejaria, Coulibaly, Middleton, Lafferty, Grezda & even Dorrans featuring in the games against Spartak Moscow and Villarreal - where we more than managed to hold our own.

That Villarreal team we drew with twice last season managed to reach the last 8 of the competition. Is it possible that with a few big performances and a decent draw we could do the same?

Is making a run into the latter stages of the Europa League more within in our reach than we think?

The target is making the group stages.

After that all that matters is the league and Gerrard knows that.

Making the Groups two years in a row from the first qualifying round would be an incredible achievement.

But we can't look past Legia. Going to be very tough games.

Legia is indeed massive , the gaffer himself has said we are in a 50/50 game here .

Agreed would be massive to make it again .

Moving forward to answer the OP - if we manage to finally normalise our retail, get the club functioning the way it can on all fronts , there is no reason why we can’t aim for getting out of a group stage as a realistic target in the not too distant future . It’s difficult with seedlings but make Ibrox a fortress and three home wins in the group virtually guarantees second spot .

For now though qualification is the grail .

The job Gerrard has done already is amazing. We reached the group stages from the first qualifying round and were very unlucky not to go further in the competition. As manager he's had 20 European ties and only lost 2 that is some achievement when you consider where we were before he took over. There is no team in the Europa league that we should fear however there are plenty of teams who will not want to be drawn against us.

Making the group stages would do me fine.

anything more than that would be a BIG bonus.

Group stage is achievable but really depends on the draw.

I think we can be more than a match for anyone if we play well so who knows what could happen.

We could get drawn in a group with CSKA Moscow, APOEL and Red Star this year so I’d fancy us to win that.

Equally we could get Sevilla, Frankfurt and Wolves!

It really comes down to fine margins, we could have won or lost at Villareal with late chances at either end, we were a linesman's flag and a Grezda miss from winning both games against Spartak.

If we get into the group stages our home form must improve to qualify further.

If Leicester can win the EPL over the course of a full season, then winning the Europa is achievable.

Highly unlikely, sure, but it isn't impossible. Grit and determination, luck of the draw etc can go a long way.

Oh and before anyone says it, no, I don't think we're going to win it this year. Getting into the group's is a huge bonus and anything beyond that is amazing given where we've come from.

The financial gulf between Rangers and some of the others is a reasonable assessment as to why we have a limited chance of progress and I consider this a fair assumption to make.BUT the financial gulf means nothing if you squander your financial wealth on run of the mill overpriced players :oops: FF the beasts from the east just spent £10m on 2 world class defenders just to prove there is a financial gulf between them and us..:p

It's a big ask but with a favourable draw, getting out of the group stages is possible.

After that when the third placed teams from the Champions League groups drop in and we're up against other group winners all with single players worth more than our whole team then we've got no chance.

As far as as each draw takes us mate. We could have drawn wolves and possibly already be heading out. We might get a good group and finish 1st and go through the first knock out round then possibly another. Or we could get a lady's front bottom of a draw and finish bottom. Or we could have got a worse draw than the Danes and already be out. not sure I get your concept

Back