Greg stewart

This. Stewart was awful. He’s the back up of the back up for me. I’d definitely be looking for another striker if we make the Europa groups.

He seems the one player short of two things in our group - pace and confidence.

A goal will help his confidence, he’s not going to gain any pace at 29 . He looks so sluggish in comparison to everyone around him .

We need to accept that weakness but we know he’s got a good eye for a pass and can be creative , it remains to be seen whether or not he continues to get a chance to show it .

Put it this way I thought he may surprise a few people in a positive way , truth be told so far it hasn’t happened, but judge him At Christmas not in August - I think you are being harsh calling him “ awful “ at this stage .

Sure today’s conditions and pitch weren’t the best, but I found with stewart’s game today, what was lacking wouldn’t have been something due to the weather/pitch.

His touch, positioning, passing and interest in general seemed very poor.

Don’t think he’s done himself much favours if he’s one of the ones giving Gerrard daggers

Not the surface, or overhead conditions to start a thread on criticising one of our players.

Especially after we won 3-0 and got out injury free.

I’ll probably give him more than the first few weeks of the season before I judge him.

It’s ridiculously early to be judging any of new players at this point whether that be in a positive or negative sense.

Aribo handled the conditions fine and put in a brilliant performance.

So why is Stewart getting away with that as an excuse?

If other players coped fine with it, why can Stewart not as well?

The only difference is Aribo is a quality player, Stewart is a few levels down from Aribo.

It’s got nothing to do with shite conditions, good players will always shine through, like Aribo today.

The gaffer said himself in his post match interview that quality players (Aribo) show their quality every time they play

He didn’t look slow when he drew the foul from the full back and got him booked.

Give the guy a chance.

The gaffer said himself in his post match interview that quality players (Aribo) show their quality every time they play

Correct, I have no time for anyone slamming players and passing judgement on their careers with us after a couple of games or less but that's not the same as saying 'x was disappointing today' or similar.
Far too much hysteria on here.

He seems the one player short of two things in our group - pace and confidence.

A goal will help his confidence, he’s not going to gain any pace at 29 . He looks so sluggish in comparison to everyone around him .

We need to accept that weakness but we know he’s got a good eye for a pass and can be creative , it remains to be seen whether or not he continues to get a chance to show it .

Put it this way I thought he may surprise a few people in a positive way , truth be told so far it hasn’t happened, but judge him At Christmas not in August - I think you are being harsh calling him “ awful “ at this stage .

The awful comment was in relation to yesterday’s game. He’s done well in places else where. He will probably have a role to an extent within the squad but he’ll be limited in appearances this season.

These threads are pish to be honest.

The conditions were poor. As said on another thread Aribo and Ojo were critisized after the Killie game.

It was a shit pitch and blowing a gale FFS.

Yeah, there's a balance to be had in terms of just pointing out what you've seen on the day and the bigger picture.

The criticisms today were valid for that 90 minutes. Doesn't mean opinions should be rigid and never change after that.

What I would say is that for anyone who didn't show up and now have the ability to be demanding more first team starts is that they'll not be expected to come in to a second string XI all the time.

Polster, Stewart and anyone else who was seen to not be utterly fantastic today will find their supporting role easier when they're playing with the more established starters.

That's before we even consider the pitch and conditions today.

He’s not a right winger. He’s a second striker. Everything that we know about him tells us that. His best game for us was the end of the Progrès match at Ibrox where he came on and played as part of a front 2.

Not sure he can operate well as a lone striker which was why Defoe was playing while he was on to get game time and try to stake a place for right wing which is the only position he’s got a chance of starting in. He didn’t take it.

I think we will see him play over the year. But it’ll be as a sub in the last 20 minutes where he’ll play narrow in a front 2 and we sacrifice one of the wings. Nothing wrong with that and it will change our dynamic a little which could be helpful in some games.

Right wing would seem to be between Arfield and Ojo. Though Hastie did actually stake a bit of a claim in his cameo today.

Last edited:
He’s not a right winger. He’s a second striker. Everything that we know about him tells us that. His best game for us was the end of the Progrès match at Ibrox where he came on and played as part of a front 2.

Not sure he can operate well as a loan striker which was why Defoe was playing while he was on to get game time and try to stake a place for right wing which is the only position he’s got a chance of starting in. He didn’t take it.

I think we will see him play over the year. But it’ll be as a sub in the last 20 minutes where he’ll play narrow in a front 2 and we sacrifice one of the wings. Nothing wrong with that and it will change our dynamic a little which could be helpful in some games.

Right wing would seem to be between Arfield and Ojo. Though Hastie did actually stake a bit of a claim in his cameo today.

Can you change that 'loan' striker, SA. Confused the hell out of me.
Agree with Hastie, looked like he has something. I also think Polster may come good, wasn't great today and that may have affected Stewart or Stewart not doing well may have been a factor in MP's performance but his athleticism and desire is a good basis to build on.

His loan spell at Aberdeen was the wrong choice for him and has clearly knocked his confidence a bit as the only thing you could really say he got from it was a sore neck looking up at their high balls. Was very ineffective for them due to their style of play.

As for the first half of the season at Killie, he was great for them. If we can get him back to playing like that, he will be a decent back up addition to the squad.

He looked far from great yesterday, however too early to have any real gripe as that pitch was awful and better players than him had poor games also.

Can you change that 'loan' striker, SA. Confused the hell out of me.
Agree with Hastie, looked like he has something. I also think Polster may come good, wasn't great today and that may have affected Stewart or Stewart not doing well may have been a factor in MP's performance but his athleticism and desire is a good basis to build on.

Spelling corrected.

I think Polster is fine to have around the squad but the step down from Tav to him is dramatic. We don’t need to spend millions getting a back up right back close to Tav’s level and Polster is fine for cover. But, if Tav were injured or left then we’d need to buy better to replace him. I suspect we will see more of Polster’s missus than of him throughout the season. Certainly hope so...

Last edited:
Certain games he will have a better chance of making an impact behind the striker i think the lack of game time has probably dented his confidence .

I know it's early days but I haven't been impressed with him at all so far.

His first touch is poor, he takes an age to turn and things like a simple 5 yard pass seem to be misplaced a fair bit.

I think he's actually trying too hard if that makes sense.

Ultimately a guy like Stewart is only intended as a squad player.

He can cover as a wide attacker or as a striker if needed.

Some games he’ll play very well, others he won’t, but we do need players like him in the squad.

I so love how this forum or some on it write off a plater after 1 game on a horrendeous platic pitch in horrible conditions ..
A poster posted and asked had our support hardened... .. no chance.. give me thevsupport of the 70s and 80s... we had each others backs..

Sure today’s conditions and pitch weren’t the best, but I found with stewart’s game today, what was lacking wouldn’t have been something due to the weather/pitch.

Don’t think he’s done himself much favours if he’s one of the ones giving Gerrard daggers

Hold on... what's this about?!

Have I missed something?

Hold on... what's this about?!

Have I missed something?

Gerrard said in an interview the other day that players would be given a chance against East Fife - players who'd been giving him daggers about not being involved.

To be clear, he didn't say it in a negative sense, he was just meaning some players are itching to get a chance.

Gerrard said in an interview the other day that players would be given a chance against East Fife - players who'd been giving him daggers about not being involved.

To be clear, he didn't say it in a negative sense, he was just meaning some players are itching to get a chance.

Ahhhh gotcha. That makes me feel a bit better!

I read it as in there was some discontent.

I get & agree with folk saying shouldn’t write off players after 1 game especially in poor conditions but surely big part of message boards is to share thoughts & opinions on what you see especially after SG putting down a marker to show what can do in rare chances like this.
Out of the fringe players who featured yesterday Stewart was the biggest disappointment for me as was too predictable in one on one situations & was too easily handled. I’m saying that as thought it was an opportunity to see what he can do & for him to give a good account of himself. Given competition is so fierce, lets not kid ourselves on that future chances wont be influenced by who showed up & who didnt in rare test excercises like this.

If you play Stewart out wide, you’ll get nothing from him.

Striker or a ten, as everyone with a brain explained before he signed. I can see why Gerrard played him for the minutes but it’s just not his position.

Should have bagged himself a goal first half. A different team playing their first game together in tough conditions.

Give him more than one game to judge him.
Hastie showed he should be featuring ahead of him for me. Stewart was brutal to watch. Early days

He’s done well in his playing time up until yesterday so I think it would be harsh to judge him on 60 minutes or so.

He can be of use over this season imo.

He's here as a member of the squad on low risk wages.

He allows us to rest key players in fixtures like this and can be thrown on in tight games as he's got the ability to see passes others don't.

Low risk squad member who'll play a part.

There’s another thing about his game that I think yesterday didn’t help on.

He likes to play subtle little passes for runners, as he’s not the fastest himself.

If you think about who he would be playing in from that right hand side, Polster, Docherty, Kamara, ie right sided & central players, they never really gave the guy options from my recollection of the match.

Normally Tav, Ojo would be runners, with Alfie also showing ?

I get & agree with folk saying shouldn’t write off players after 1 game especially in poor conditions but surely big part of message boards is to share thoughts & opinions on what you see especially after SG putting down a marker to show what can do in rare chances like this.
Out of the fringe players who featured yesterday Stewart was the biggest disappointment for me as was too predictable in one on one situations & was too easily handled. I’m saying that as thought it was an opportunity to see what he can do & for him to give a good account of himself. Given competition is so fierce, lets not kid ourselves on that future chances wont be influenced by who showed up & who didnt in rare test excercises like this.

From what i’ve seen of Stewart, his game is about exploiting space. He sees gaps and movement and passes that others don’t. His touch and control are good and he can hold the ball in tight areas. He’s a bit like an upgrade on Holt.

He is not, however, fast or good at beating opponents on the run. His passing is also more about short controlled balls rather than crosses.

He’s just not very good as a winger. Either very very narrow inside forward or second striker.

Not sure he can operate well as a lone striker which was why Defoe was playing while he was on to get game time and try to stake a place for right wing which is the only position he’s got a chance of starting in. He didn’t take it.

He did well in the striker role against Oxford to be fair, and they are probably a good bit better than East Fife.

But we had a bigger better pitch with, more importantly, runners giving him options.

Spelling corrected.

I think Polster is fine to have around the squad but the step down from Tav to him is dramatic. We don’t need to spend millions getting a back up right back close to Tav’s level and Polster is fine for cover. But, if Tav were injured or left then we’d need to buy better to replace him. I suspect we will see more of Polster’s missus than of him throughout the season. Certainly hope so...

I’d get Polster out on loan to get playing time & to work on his touch & crossing. He’s still relatively young, so it may still be worth a try.

As you say, right now there’s a big creativity gap with Tav.

I’d get Polster out on loan to get playing time & to work on his touch & crossing. He’s still relatively young, so it may still be worth a try.

As you say, right now there’s a big creativity gap with Tav.

With Flanagan backup right back? Could work. But I have to say that I don’t see Polster ever being our first choice right back. Don’t think he’s a development prospect. He was bought purely as a squad player who could cover absences in a couple of positions. He’ll make a handful of appearances over a few years and then disappear leaving only a faint memory of his girlfriend. And there’s nothing wrong with that. Such players are needed and will maybe one day get us through a tight spot.

If we judged our players after every game we’d have no squad. How about we see out at least the first month of the season before drawing absolutely shite conclusions like the op? :D

With Flanagan backup right back? Could work. But I have to say that I don’t see Polster ever being our first choice right back. Don’t think he’s a development prospect. He was bought purely as a squad player who could cover absences in a couple of positions. He’ll make a handful of appearances over a few years and then disappear leaving only a faint memory of his girlfriend. And there’s nothing wrong with that. Such players are needed and will maybe one day get us through a tight spot.

Yes, I’m saying that Flanagan should be Tav’s cover & that we need a new LB SA.

I’m with you on Polster, but given his great attitude & physicality it may be worth giving the guy a chance to develop to an acceptable level in terms of distribution, touch, crossing, because as he stands today I don’t see him being good enough to start for Rangers.

This whole daggers thing, i think it was an off the cuff remark, said in jest. No player in that changing room would draw daggers at SG, they’re all probably still star struck :D

I don't think Stewart will start many games! He'll come of the bench and make an impact throughout the season, not one of the 'glamour' signings but hopefully he provides an impact across a long season

Tbh no point judging stewart out wide this is why he was shite for aberdeen, he’s a back up striker. Playing behind the strikers

Back