Open letter to the club

Seeing as how you brought it up can you list ALL the bigoted songs?

I'll give you a head start. FF mentions Dublin so that makes it unacceptable. Ask Gerry McNee.
*Any song that mentions the word “19th Century Terrorist” or any similar term
*Any song that mentions the Pope
*Any song which gives you even pause for thought

You know that already though, you just don’t care.

You are of course correct but dont expect anyone inside Ibrox to speak up.
This has nothing to do with offensive chanting or the word 19th Century Terrorist it's some other bastard that decided this was a better way to get us punished. To roll over and let this happen from our board is abject failure. Myself and the majority of others don't care how you practise your religion.

Dont agree. The club were warned years ago that something needed done. Simply pleading with fans was not the answer then and it still isnt now.

Robertson gets paid a handsome some and Id expect someone on his salary to do more than smile on camera as he tries to avoid taking responsibility for problems at Ibrox.

Easy target for plenty on here that probably don't even know what his job actually entails.

No point in deflecting this mate, the blame lies firmly with a percentage of the support.

I've been guilty of singing the BBs and We Are Rangers myself, but no longer.

You're so wrong. Its because I care Im on here.

Does the Sash or Derry's Walls make you "pause for thought"?

What about FF? It mentions Dublin.

What about WATP or Rule Britannia?

My point is we DONT KNOW and the club needs to sort this out now in conjunction with fans.

We dropped the Billy Boys from the songbook before, we can do it again. Because we weren’t in Europe for years, it was wrongly allowed to creep back in again and become acceptable.

The Club have done enough so far, and if it persists they will act further by refusing away tickets and issuing life bans for supporters. That’s the position fans are putting the Club in, its up to us whether we want that. We know the inevitable consequences.

If we don’t sing bigoted songs, FARE can report as much as they like, it won’t do anything. They can’t touch us.

Ultimately, this comes down to how much you love Rangers.

Fare already reported us for sectarian signing in 2011 at PSV and it was widely denied by all who were there so I'm not so confident on that point as you are.

I also dont think the club are doing anywhere near enough and not sure going to war with your own fans is the answer.

I think the club needs to engage with the fans and make sure we keep our noses clean in regards to our song book.

Sadly that’s all to common in the wider world outside football also. You are more likely to get off with assaulting a stranger on the street than if your caught by the police singing or saying something offensive. Post an offensive joke on social media and you will almost certainly be charged. I don’t agree with it, I hate the modern hunk generation that are offended by everything. That said I’m clever enough to know to keep offensive jokes in the company of friends. I just wish our fans would know to keep their songs to their locals or support busses and stop the singing at the games.

If the people on here who say they won’t be told what they can sing really want to make a stand, can I suggest they go down to their local police station, sing TBB there and take out their protest with the authorities? That way the club and the rest of our fans are not put out.
That’s all well and good but all we ask is a level playing field. We all know what would happen if a Celtc fan sang their bile outside a copshop. The police and PF would make sure collectively that the bheast got off the hook.

You're so wrong. Its because I care Im on here.

Does the Sash or Derry's Walls make you "pause for thought"?

What about FF? It mentions Dublin.

What about WATP or Rule Britannia?

My point is we DONT KNOW and the club needs to sort this out now in conjunction with fans.
The Sash, Derry’s Walls and Follow Follow (with no words changed) are fine to sing. None of them fit under those rules that I laid out above.

WATP and Rule Britannia are also fine.

This isn’t difficult. Apply the rules.

Us and the filth have been hit with fines from UEFA in the past for songs and flags ( the filth with the flags). The Scottish fa will not come after us because if they did they’d need to go after Celtic as well and Aberdeen for that matter and maybe even hibs and Hearts. That’s not going to Happen.
There’s different rules as well.
UEFA enforce a “strict liability” rule which is not in the domestic rule book and probably wouldn't survive legal challenge.

Fare already reported us for sectarian signing in 2011 at PSV and it was widely denied by all who were there so I'm not so confident on that point as you are.

I also dont think the club are doing anywhere near enough and not sure going to war with your own fans is the answer.

I think the club needs to engage with the fans and make sure we keep our noses clean in regards to our song book.
I don’t care. If they report us and we’ve done nothing wrong then that’s a different issue. It is not relevant here where we are clearly in the wrong.

If the fans continue to sing bigoted songs, they are going to war with the Club by inflicting stadium bans and fines upon the Club. Not the other way round.

Sounds like you're avoiding the question. Im asking you to name them. All of them.

Not so easy is it?
It’s pretty obvious what you should sing or say. If you need someone to list them then your beyond help. It’s absolutely obvious.

The stand closure is about racism nothing else. If anyone had checked the chargesheets against all clubs the punishment was the same for every club. The issue is race when did 19th Century Terrorists become a race. The answer is never. Someone has bundled our support in with neo nazis from Eastern Europe and punished as the same.
Ajax had a section of their stadium closed for displaying a poster with the “f” word against them a few years ago.

Easy target for plenty on here that probably don't even know what his job actually entails.

No point in deflecting this mate, the blame lies firmly with a percentage of the support.

No it doesnt. We had 200,000 In Manchester and id hazard a guess that most couldnt tell you what is allowed. Sure we all know TBB is out but what about songs like Build My Gallows, Coming Down the Road or even FF with its reference to Dublin? We need clarity and agreement between the fans and the club. How do we get this if all we get is the usual plea for good behaviour? Its pointless and shows lack of leadership.

I don’t care. If they report us and we’ve done nothing wrong then that’s a different issue. It is not relevant here where we are clearly in the wrong.

If the fans continue to sing bigoted songs, they are going to war with the Club by inflicting stadium bans and fines upon the Club. Not the other way round.

I do care. I care that we singing banned songs and getting into trouble for it and the club seem to think that saying stop it is enough.

I also care that when we actually stop that we will be punished regardless.

These are not mutually exclusive issues.

That’s all well and good but all we ask is a level playing field. We all know what would happen if a Celtc fan sang their bile outside a copshop. The police and PF would make sure collectively that the bheast got off the hook.
That’s all whataboutery. I don’t care what they do as it doesn’t get my club into trouble. I would also guess they would be charged - I don’t believe the rest of the country is as corrupt as the SFA.

No it doesnt. We had 200,000 In Manchester and id hazard a guess that most couldnt tell you what is allowed. Sure we all know TBB is out but what about songs like Build My Gallows, Coming Down the Road or even FF with its reference to Dublin? We need clarity and agreement between the fans and the club. How do we get this if all we get is the usual plea for good behaviour? Its pointless and shows lack of leadership.
Why would mentioning Dublin in a song be something you'd need clarification on?

I do care. I care that we singing banned songs and getting into trouble for it and the club seem to think that saying stop it is enough.

I also care that when we actually stop that we will be punished regardless.

These are not mutually exclusive issues.
Im willing to stand with the Club on this and give those supporters one more chance. An amnesty.

Anyone guilty from here on in deserves a ban of at least several years, possibly life.

We have 13,000 on the waiting list for ST’s. The bigots will not be missed.

That’s all whataboutery. I don’t care what they do as it doesn’t get my club into trouble. I would also guess they would be charged - I don’t believe the rest of the country is as corrupt as the SFA.
That’s not whataboutery, it’s consistency, transparency and even-handedness. Whataboutery is them running about being offended and complaining in the first place.

Aye. I’m part of the problem. My shocking behaviour is going to make fans miss the game on Thursday. Your right. Congratulations.

You are part of the problem because you cant see what needs to be done to fix it. Simply banning some fans and appealing for others not to sing certain songs wont work. Havent you noticed? We've been doing this for years and years yet here we are with a stand closed and the message is still the same.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

That’s not whataboutery, it’s consistency, transparency and even-handedness. Whataboutery is them running about being offended and complaining in the first place.
I don’t disagree with any of your points. I would love a level playing field. In fact I’d love to go back to the good old days before the snow flake generation where we didn’t have to worry about offending everyone and anyone. Sadly the only thing we can influence is what WE do and how it affects our club.

Why would mentioning Dublin in a song be something you'd need clarification on?
Why would anyone be offended about us saying we would follow our team if it went to Dublin.

I don’t see Liverpool fans running away to UEFA to get Man Utd in trouble for singing about burning scousers.

I don’t disagree with any of your points. I would love a level playing field. In fact I’d love to go back to the good old days before the snow flake generation where we didn’t have to worry about offending everyone and anyone. Sadly the only thing we can influence is what WE do and how it affects our club.
But it’s not all we can do. What’s good for the goose and all that.

You are part of the problem because you cant see what needs to be done to fix it. Simply banning some fans and appealing for others not to sing certain songs wont work. Havent you noticed? We've been doing this for years and years yet here we are with a stand closed and the message is still the same.

Wake up and smell the coffee.
I can see what needs to be done. It’s quite clear. Don’t be a moron and sing religious crap. It’s very simple. Every person with half a brain cell should understand that singing songs about our club and the clubs history are fine. Bring religious groups etc into it are going to cause us pain. It’s bloody obvious.

Im willing to stand with the Club on this and give those supporters one more chance. An amnesty.

Anyone guilty from here on in deserves a ban of at least several years, possibly life.

We have 13,000 on the waiting list for ST’s. The bigots will not be missed.

I did a course on bullying and was surprised to find that ever one of the 200 delegates present admitted to bullying someone at some point in their life. They were all head teachers attending the course in the hope that they could identify the 'bullies' in their school and ban them.

References to 19th Century Terrorists and %^*& the Pope are the main areas mate.

References to Dublin,The UVF (as it's looked upon as WW1), plus The Sash, Derry's Walls are all fine as far as I'm aware.

Obviously the pishy Tiffany song is a no no.

I did a course on bullying and was surprised to find that ever one of the 200 delegates present admitted to bullying someone at some point in their life. They were all head teachers attending the course in the hope that they could identify the 'bullies' in their school and ban them.
You know that those singing bigoted songs have lost when they have to result to bizarre anodyne anecdotes.

I can see what needs to be done. It’s quite clear. Don’t be a moron and sing religious crap. It’s very simple. Every person with half a brain cell should understand that singing songs about our club and the clubs history are fine. Bring religious groups etc into it are going to cause us pain. It’s bloody obvious.

What about our club anthem FF? It mentions Dublin and Gerry McNee doesnt approve. What about WATP or Rule Britannia? None of them are 'religious'. Should they be banned?

The problem stems from inside Ibrox. They need to engage with fans and get agreement on what we can and cant sing.

Being vague isnt working.

What about our club anthem FF? It mentions Dublin and Gerry McNee doesnt approve. What about WATP or Rule Britannia? None of them are 'religious'. Should they be banned?

The problem stems from inside Ibrox. They need to engage with fans and get agreement on what we can and cant sing.

Being vague isnt working.
If you don’t know what’s acceptable and what’s not then that’s ridiculous. But yeah I’m the problem. I seem to manage to not be a tool at a football match.

The dj at Ibrox could start playing all our old Rangers versions of our traditional songs we have shit loads maybe start with that instead of the new pish fast shite versions.

You know that those singing bigoted songs have lost when they have to result to bizarre anodyne anecdotes.

I dont sing bigoted songs. What made you think I did?

Im trying to point out that general statements about 'bigots' isnt helpful. It hasnt worked up till now and it wont in the future.

Rangers need to grasp the nettle. Arrange meetings with fans and sort out whats allowed and what isnt.

If they dont you can look forward to more fines, bans, stadium closures and points docked.

If you don’t know what’s acceptable and what’s not then that’s ridiculous. But yeah I’m the problem. I seem to manage to not be a tool at a football match.

Ok then. Are WATP, FF and Rule Britannia acceptable?. Are the Sash and Derrys Walls? What about Super Rangers or songs about Celtic being paedos?

The point is its not so simple and we need thr club to get talking to fans.

What's the difference between an open letter and just a standard letter?

Serious question by the way, it's not a set up for a joke.

An open letter is a letter that is published on a public forum, newspaper etc. It is addressed to a particular person but is intended for the general reader, usually in order to protest or give an opinion about something.

A standard one would be to send it privately to the club with nobody else in the public able to opine.

The stand closure is about racism nothing else. If anyone had checked the chargesheets against all clubs the punishment was the same for every club. The issue is race when did 19th Century Terrorists become a race. The answer is never. Someone has bundled our support in with neo nazis from Eastern Europe and punished as the same.

I agree 100%, by this logic songs about Lee Rigby and any other British soldier should be open to the same sanctions.

Al give you one ..50 p flute

Agreed 100%. Makes me cringe. Especially the video from Sheffield. Its beyond stupid.

I even suggested an alternative for the 'non bigots' to sing IF we HAVE to sing it at all.

You're now doing what Rangers need to do. Start discussing the dos and donts. Get agreement and tell Uefa this is where we're at.

I hate to say it but I dont see the club engaging with fans on this and I expect more problems in the future unless they do.

This pretty much captures it. 19th Century Terrorist, Pope, Sands etc - its not really difficult to figure out. Do we really need someone to tell us to stop this stuff? Really?

Very good post. Straight to the point. I hope you keep posting similar as its a bit of an uphill struggle trying to get enough fans to see that the club needs to lead us on this.

Can you give me a list of ALL the songs Im not allowed to sing? Im a bit of a numbskull.

Right numbskull here’s a list

The 50p flute song for starters

The Billy Boys or any song that calls people 19th Century Terrorist Bastards

Follow Follow when you pollute it with Fcuk the Pope and the Vatican

Any song about the UVF or the UDA

I’ve been following home and away for decades so please don’t doubt my loyalties. This is not complicated, we need to stop it now. The songs at Kilmarnock we’re full of the stuff mentioned yet we have some fantastic old and new songs and chants that don’t have the garbage in them.

Let’s clean this up and let’s start on Sunday.

This pretty much captures it. 19th Century Terrorist, Pope, Sands etc - its not really difficult to figure out. Do we really need someone to tell us to stop this stuff? Really?

Today's stand closure answers the question for you.

Yes we need someone to tell us exactly what we can and cant sing.

Lets get talking to the club and get agreement before its too late.

Right numbskull here’s a list

The 50p flute song for starters

The Billy Boys or any song that calls people 19th Century Terrorist Bastards

Follow Follow when you pollute it with Fcuk the Pope and the Vatican

Any song about the UVF or the UDA

I’ve been following home and away for decades so please don’t doubt my loyalties. This is not complicated, we need to stop it now. The songs at Kilmarnock we’re full of the stuff mentioned yet we have some fantastic old and new songs and chants that don’t have the garbage in them.

Let’s clean this up and let’s start on Sunday.

Add ons to all our traditional songs needs to stop this is a watershed momment

Back