"UEFA can't do that" - oh yes they can

It's pretty straightforward. We know the situation. People need to refrain from singing those songs. We have a great songbook. Lets use those instead.
It's only the word 19th Century Terrorist that is an issue for UEFA. We should stick the BB and SuperRangers on ice for this season and try and bring them back with PG13 add ons.

That’s the thing.

UEFA don’t care, Rangers don’t care and Steven Gerrard doesn’t care.

We can ask where this has come from, why now and why no scrutiny of the Yahoos Provo rousing / hun baiting songbook, but those are questions for a more sober morning - right now there’s only one thing we need attend to and that’s cut out the add ons and get rid of the bampots in the support for whom having the opportunity to sing sectarian songs is more important than watching The Rangers.

That’s the thing.

We can ask where this has come from, why now and why no scrutiny of the Yahoos Provo rousing / hun baiting songbook, but those are questions for a more sober morning - right now there’s only one thing we need attend to and that’s cut out the add ons and get rid of the bampots in the support for whom having the opportunity to sing sectarian songs is more important than watching The Rangers.

Plenty of the bampots are on here that just don't get it. They wont get it until we're kicked out of Europe altogether.

serious question - what stops entryism? e.g. rival fans disguising themselves as home support and intentionally singing offensive songs.

If strict liability comes in then i can see this being a sneaky tactic.

Surely the solution comes in better stewarding to actually get the people who sing the songs rather than a blanket solution that punishes regular fans.

So far we have 4lads and TheCopland and c1872 being fed by the club.

Who thinks this is the best strategy?

@mdingwall - I don't envy being one of your admins tonight, but is there any chance some of the 40 million threads on the subject could be merged?

There's far too many posters wanting to be the star of the show today with their "This is what we need to do" & "This is what i think" type posts instead of adding to existing threads.

I know it's UEFA's competition, but surely legalities still stand. Say for instance Real Madrid, Lazio and Legia Warsaw fans made monkey noises at a player and were fined. And Spartak Moscow fans did it and had stadium closed. Surely, regardless of previous offences, they would have reason to legally challenge said ruling. I know it's a convoluted point, but they can't be above the law?

Uefas rules are clear as crystal

They aren't anti rangers or anti protestant

We stop singing about 19th Century Terrorists and hating Catholics (FTP), we won't get punished.

Amazed people think it's their human right to attend a professional football stadium and 'sing what they want'

Uefas rules are clear as crystal

They aren't anti rangers or anti protestant

We stop singing about 19th Century Terrorists and hating Catholics (FTP), we won't get punished.

Amazed people think it's their human right to attend a professional football stadium and 'sing what they want'

The sense of entitlement is astounding.

They think it's acceptable to continue singing these songs, as if no-one has ever told them it's not, and as if the club has never got into trouble over this before.

They are not ignorant. They're just stupid and selfish.

That’s the thing.

Exactly. It’s over, it’s been lost. We can’t sing 19th Century Terrorist at Ibrox anymore.

After all we’ve been through this doesn’t even make the top 50 traumas we’ve went through recently.

It's only the word 19th Century Terrorist that is an issue for UEFA. We should stick the BB and SuperRangers on ice for this season and try and bring them back with PG13 add ons.
It isn't only the word that's the issue though, Uefa will absolutely hammer us if we go near any song with reference of being up to our knees in blood. If they can be put on ice then they can be put to bed for good.

I know it's UEFA's competition, but surely legalities still stand. Say for instance Real Madrid, Lazio and Legia Warsaw fans made monkey noises at a player and were fined. And Spartak Moscow fans did it and had stadium closed. Surely, regardless of previous offences, they would have reason to legally challenge said ruling. I know it's a convoluted point, but they can't be above the law?

Where are they challenging it? Are you prepared for the Club to stop playing in Europe while we make a legal challenge?

UEFA have always been anti British. They banned English clubs from Europe for years due to hooliganism while European thugs were acting in the same manner and got off scot free.
You do know that the straw that broke the camels back with reference to English fans behaviour was 39 supporters being killed inside a football stadium?

That’s the thing.

Don't worry about them. They will get stung by this as well. Their behaviour in europe is abhorrent its inevitable. We need to focus on us and wise up, don't give UEFA any reason to cite us again.

On ice? The club's message is that the songs are banned. This fanciful notion that TBB will be fine after a Disneyfied reboot is one that was debunked once and for all in 2006.

It's done, has been since the punishment received for the Villareal home game in 2006.

serious question - what stops entryism? e.g. rival fans disguising themselves as home support and intentionally singing offensive songs.

Surely the solution comes in better stewarding to actually get the people who sing the songs rather than a blanket solution that punishes regular fans.
I'd imagine Uefa wouldn't give a toss as the argument would be that we should know who is being admitted to the stadium.

On ice? The club's message is that the songs are banned. This fanciful notion that TBB will be fine after a Disneyfied reboot is one that was debunked once and for all in 2006.

It's done, has been since the punishment received for the Villareal home game in 2006.
I hear what you're saying but I was trying to be diplomatic.

We can disagree with the ruling all we want, but if we disobey then we are only hurting ourselves. This might not be fair, but sometimes life isn't.

If we dwell on this and feel sorry for ourselves the we are letting them win. We have to move forward and take ownership of the situation. We have plenty of songs we can sing and plenty of talent in our support to create new ones.

If you want to hurt those who are attacking us then let that be 55. That will be the best antidote we have.

Nothing.

Remember that fucking bampot who wore a pope shirt, draped himself in a palestine flag, handcuffed himself to the post and started launching sectarian slurs at the front row in the middle of a European game against Maccabi Haifa?

We got fined for that.

"1. Any person who insults the human dignity of another person or group of persons on whatever grounds ... incurs ..."

This has happened at football grounds around the world since the day dot and continues to happen at football grounds everywhere.

Contrary to the message in the OP tweet, maybe our problem is that no-one on our side is willing to argue against this nonsense.

Where are they challenging it? Are you prepared for the Club to stop playing in Europe while we make a legal challenge?
I'm not saying Rangers are challenging it! I'm wondering at what point do you say we are not being treated fairly or equally, and what recourse is there? Do UEFA operate above national law, court decisions in member states? Do you just have to accept rulings which are blatantly biased if you want to participate in their competition?

It seems to me that Uefa take a no tolerance approach in anything they do. They have recently made Partizan and AEK Athens play behind closed doors I’m sure. I can see the daft uefa music being booed as it’s played next week, does anyone know what what Man City fans were punished for in regards to this, and what was the punishment exactly?

Nothing.

Remember that fucking bampot who wore a pope shirt, draped himself in a palestine flag, handcuffed himself to the post and started launching sectarian slurs at the front row in the middle of a European game against Maccabi Haifa?

We got fined for that.
He came onto our pitch, in our stadium, and was able to run the length of it. The fine will always be with the club, doesn't matter who the pitch invader is. I was at Ibrox that night and remember very angry fans singing "Security, you're having a laugh".

Times have changed and we, as a support, need to move with the times. Like it or not, the rules have been laid and we need to adhere to them, otherwise the club we are supposed to be supporting suffer both on the field and off. We wouldn't turn up at Ibrox and sing racist songs/chants, or homophobic, so why continue with the sectarianism? Get our own house in order firstly then we can turn our attention to that republican, anti-protestant mob.

My worry is what’s been reported from the Two rounds following ST Joseph’s. Could the second and third punishments be implemented before we know it

Bit panicky about this. I hope UEFA issue a punishment to change things. To get the message across. So hopefully time is given to the fans to sort this out.

I'm not saying Rangers are challenging it! I'm wondering at what point do you say we are not being treated fairly or equally, and what recourse is there? Do UEFA operate above national law, court decisions in member states? Do you just have to accept rulings which are blatantly biased if you want to participate in their competition?

For a club with our resources? Pretty much, yes.

It's very, very easy and the club need to lead here. Songs about us; fine. Songs about being protestant; fine. Songs slagging opposing football teams; fine. Songs about other people's religion; not fine. It's not that hard. Why anyone wants to sing about the pope or 19th Century Terrorists in this day and age is beyond me.

Latest posts

Back