Slight Change of Words in Songs

bainnyman

Ok I am 50 years old and over 40 years supporting the bears have sang all the songs fck the p*pope _ we are up to our knees is fe__kn blood etc etc etc

But these days as a season ticket holder for 40 year realise that these songs are outdated. BUT BUT BUT can we cannot refrain from the glorious start to songs like HELLO HELLO we are the billy boys - NO NO NO

But after the last UEFA sanctions we are snookered.

SO can we not change certain words e.g

HELLO HELLO we are the billy boys HELLO HELLO etc etc we are up to our knees with CELTIC blood surrender or your die...... (We are just hating celtic no issues)

The Follow Follow song dies away when it comes to Fck the pope and the vatican anyway - so needs a tweak

It is the word 19th Century Terrorist that seems to annoy the press so change to Celtic - worldwide it is OK to hate your rivals - most clubs have a rival the deplore,,,,

When UEFA make the decision to ban 3000 football fans from attending a match they need to be absolutley specific and explain the particular songs and offensive lines and words of these songs,
If 50000 fans hummed the tune of tbb rather than sang it would that still be offensive .

Ok I am 50 years old and over 40 years supporting the bears have sang all the songs fck the p*pope _ we are up to our knees is fe__kn blood etc etc etc

But these days as a season ticket holder for 40 year realise that these songs are outdated. BUT BUT BUT can we cannot refrain from the glorious start to songs like HELLO HELLO we are the billy boys - NO NO NO

HELLO HELLO we are the billy boys HELLO HELLO etc etc we are up to our knees with CELTIC blood surrender or your die...... (We are just hating celtic no issues)

The Follow Follow song dies away when it comes to Fck the pope and the vatican anyway - so needs a tweak

It is the word 19th Century Terrorist that seems to annoy the press so change to Celtic - worldwide it is OK to hate your rivals - most clubs have a rival the deplore,,,,
How many times is this going to get asked? We can't sing the Billy boys,no matter what words we try and use. Regardless, it wouldn't work anyway.

Genuine question. Can someone ITK explain why we can't sing a tweaked version of the Billy Boys? To my understanding "Billy" refers to a gang leader rather than King Billy so why the focus on this song in particular?

Genuine question. Can someone ITK explain why we can't sing a tweaked version of the Billy Boys? To my understanding "Billy" refers to a gang leader rather than King Billy so why the focus on this song in particular?
A reference to King Billy would be preferable.

Changing words to songs is never going to work. The song is finished. The support managed it before.

The word has changed in my eyes now. I have mates who support the green yins and I used to call them a rhyming word ( which I got from Billy Connolly) sadly for them and as distasteful as it is they are going to have to get used to me calling them paedophiles.

This is where we go. Change the narrative completely and turn it back to them. Let’s see if they fancy having the word peado being seen as the same as Roman Catholic this time.

Because a number of fans would continue to sing the original version.

And we cannot afford to have a game behind closed doors or even worse booted out of europe.

Pretty sure UEFA said that the singing of TBB in any form was a punishable offence.

Exactly, TBB is dead in the water, can never be sung at any European game, here's hoping won't be sung at domestic games to.

Believe as a support we should take this as a watershed moment and finally kick out all the ties of sectarianism that in the 21st century both blight and shame our great club.

We are a football club with strong protestant roots. However that does not have to mean anti-Catholic as many within our support take it to be by their continual singing of what they deem Rangers songs but in fact are nothing of the sort.

Other football clubs give their teams tremendous backing without the need to resort to the out-dates crap we sing. There is a tremendous Rangers songbook out there that lies unknown by the vast majority as most probably grew up on a diet of our well known "party" songs. For the good name of our club, for future supporters and also for how others see us it is time to turn over a new leaf and embrace these classic Rangers songs and ditch once and for all those songs that have no place at any football ground in a modern World.

This change the word thing has been muted lots of times but in reality , there are people who would always chants the offending word.

Too late. The words should have been changed years ago when Murray (that bastard ) told us we were being targeted but the "they'll not tell me what I can and can't sing" brigade kept signing till FARE did us. TBB all but disappeared but has gradually crept back in. It didn't matter because we were out of Europe but we're back in, FARE is controlled by tims, so we get reported. We had Simply the Best and we ruined it by adding.
It's not a level playing field so realise we are under more scrutiny and stop signing about 10% of our songs

People are going to have to accept that football is no longer the football you originally got into. It's not the 'tribal gatherings' of the 1900s described in books and on the pitch it's not even the same sport. It's "sports entertainment". It's become more about the money and theatre than the sport and tribalism.

Like it or not, you're going to have to move with the times or find something else.

There is no tweaking, and no testing the water here. Fail to grasp that simple concept and I'm afraid were fucked.

Last edited:

In 2005/ 2006 Murray apparently agreed and made deal that we would not sign any format of the song

All BB versions are banned per uefa letter to Murray in 06 I believe

We’ve been here a million times
I’m pretty sure in the 90’s rangers tried to change the words to we are the Rangers boys and the offensive bit was changed to “we’ll do anything to see our team at Ibrox or away for we are the Glasgow Rangers boys”

Some feminist arsehole will take offence to that. Anyway just forget about it and move on it’s a fight we won’t win

Here’s an idea - don’t sing about Celtic, or IRA terrorists or the pope, full stop. Remind them of their shameful history for sure when we play them but, for me, that’s enough.

When we play them no songs about 19th Century Terrorists only songs about Paedos for 90 minutes loud and proud.

The offending word could easily be changed to scummy in Super Rangers. Fits perfectly and is 100% accurate.
This is what I have been singing for the last 6 yrs "scummy" but I changed it last year to "paedo bastards" ,ive even been up to my knees in toast n cheese.WATP

tenor.gif

We can’t sing it in any form tweeked or otherwise as UEFA have banned it in its entirety. They deemed it to be associated with bigotry regardless of the ‘f’ word when sang by our support. They also don’t give a shit who Billy is or what we have to say on the matter they’ve made a ruling and that’s the end of the matter because it’s there baw and if you don’t play by there rules you don’t play at all.

Even if we changed the words, we would get accused of singing the original version. Get rid of TBB and super rangers. They aren’t that important songs. While we are at it chuck all the UVF pish and stick to proper rangers songs.

FF doesn't need a tweak.

Sing the original lyrics and not the super staunch ones.

Follow Follow we will follow Rangers
Everywhere Anywhere we will follow on
Follow Follow we will follow Rangers
If they go to Europe we will follow on

Not too difficult even more the morons out there.

We can’t sing it in any form tweeked or otherwise as UEFA have banned it in its entirety. They deemed it to be associated with bigotry regardless of the ‘f’ word when sang by our support. They also don’t give a shit who Billy is or what we have to say on the matter they’ve made a ruling and that’s the end of the matter because it’s there baw and if you don’t play by there rules you don’t play at all.

So, regardless of what the lyrics are, it's a bigoted song. Wow, they must really hate the tune!!!

How many times is this going to get asked? We can't sing the Billy boys,no matter what words we try and use. Regardless, it wouldn't work anyway.
So Killie and others will be punished for singing their version? Surely if the club put the appropriate words ie drop 19th Century Terrorist add celtic on the big screens and interact with fans regarding what is acceptable, we wouldn't be breaking any laws. drop ftp.

"We hate Celtic. Paedo bastards." Sorted.
It's not sorted though, the club are never going to get on board with calling them paedo bastards. They're not even gonna endorse my suggestion of scummy bastards.

The whole last 2 lines would need changed for the club to endorse it as an 'official' song.

It's not sorted though, the club are never going to get on board with calling them paedo bastards. They're not even gonna endorse my suggestion of scummy bastards.

The whole last 2 lines would need changed for the club to endorse it as an 'official' song.

We'll just have to drop the "bastards" and call them smelly paedos instead. There's plenty of evidence to back up that statement. :)

The song is banned in all forms. How can people not understand this?

They refuse too. They'd rather get us banned from Europe.

It's laughable to think changing the word will actually work. Once people get a few drinks in them or some class a's the new word goes out the window.

I'm a 50 year old proud Rangers Fan, I have followed my club for all my life, I have had the privilege of being a season ticket holder for well over 30 years, I have sung every song with a passion with every add on going, but I haven't sang "ftp" 19th Century Terrorist B'staRds for years, I still sing loud and proud and back my team to the hilt. We all know there is an agenda against our club but we All need to play smart, our PR department needs to wake up and come out with something, it's not a coincidence since that mod hired their new PR company a lot of flack has come our way. We have hundreds of songs we can sing without the add ons, don't play into their hands.

Back