Union Bears Have Two Choices – Lead Or Die

Lord Summerisle

Administrator
Staff member
As things stand, I'm of the opinion that the Union Bears are finished as a fans' group.

I think that the only way back for them would be if they were to work hand in hand with the club and lead the efforts to promote non-offensive songs at Ibrox and at away games.

Now, it's not for me to tell this group what to do as I'm not and never have been a member – but, if I was, I'd be approaching the club in an apologetic manner and asking what the group can do to work with the club in an effort to help educate our wider support – and safeguard the future of the Union Bears.

Just like they do with the offensive songs the Union Bears start, the rest of the ground would follow the Union Bears' lead if they started singing only acceptable songs.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the club didn't just disband the Union Bears anyway – that's why it is, for me, imperative that the fans' group seize the initiative here to 1) lead the efforts to promote acceptable singing and 2) safeguard the future of their group and improve their relationship with the club.

Sadly, however, I think the Union Bears will take the huff again and have their silent protests etc, particularly with their section being singled out by the club over recent events with the UEFA charges.

So, instead of the fans' group – and the club – being proactive, I think that, one way or another, the Union Bears are finished.

I truly hope it doesn't come to this because there is much to admire about the Union Bears, but they need to accept criticism when it's merited – which it most definitely is in this case.
Are they collectively mature enough to recognise this, though?

I'd like to think we all – the club, the Union Bears, and the wider support – want the same thing: an
Ibrox with the world-renowned atmosphere that we're known for across the globe, but an Ibrox with a support who no longer sings the songs that will eventually lead us to being banned from Europe completely.

And, make no mistake, we will be banned from Europe if this continues.

Steven Gerrard will walk if that happens.
There's no way our manager will want to be at a Rangers who are banned from Europe – and there's no way he'll want his brand associated with a club who are banned from Europe because of what is deemed to be racist behaviour.

This would give Celtic a free run at the Champions League and effectively render us unable to meaningfully compete.

Doomsday scenario?
No, it's not.
It is a stark fact that we will be kicked out of Europe if we don't change as a support.

I'd be interested to know the thoughts of posters on this board who are members of the Union Bears, and, of course, also hear from posters who aren't members of the group.

As things stand, I'm of the opinion that the Union Bears are finished as a fans' group.

I think that the only way back for them would be if they were to work hand in hand with the club and lead the efforts to promote non-offensive songs at Ibrox and at away games.

Now, it's not for me to tell this group what to do as I'm not and never have been a member – but, if I was, I'd be approaching the club in an apologetic manner and asking what the group can do to work with the club in an effort to help educate our wider support – and safeguard the future of the Union Bears.

Just like they do with the offensive songs the Union Bears start, the rest of the ground would follow the Union Bears' lead if they started singing only acceptable songs.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the club didn't just disband the Union Bears anyway – that's why it is, for me, imperative that the fans' group seize the initiative here to 1) lead the efforts to promote acceptable singing and 2) safeguard the future of their group and improve their relationship with the club.

Sadly, however, I think the Union Bears will take the huff again and have their silent protests etc, particularly with their section being singled out by the club over recent events with the UEFA charges.

So, instead of the fans' group – and the club – being proactive, I think that, one way or another, the Union Bears are finished.

I truly hope it doesn't come to this because there is much to admire about the Union Bears, but they need to accept criticism when it's merited – which it most definitely is in this case.

I'd like to think we all – the club, the Union Bears, and the wider support – want the same thing: an
Ibrox with the world-renowned atmosphere that we're known for across the globe, but an Ibrox with a support who no longer sings the songs that will eventually lead us to being banned from Europe completely.

There's no way our manager will want to be at a Rangers who are banned from Europe – and there's no way he'll want his brand associated with a club who are banned from Europe because of what is deemed to be racist behaviour.

This would give Celtic a free run at the Champions League and effectively render us unable to meaningfully compete.

Doomsday scenario?
No, it's not.
It is a stark fact that we will be kicked out of Europe if we don't change as a support.

I'd be interested to know the thoughts of posters on this board who are members of the Union Bears, and, of course, also hear from posters who aren't members of the group.
Good post UB can only go in the huff, if the club don’t close BF1 for the season.

The UB will have been told in no uncertain terms by the club - sort yourselves out or the BF1 singing section is finished.

Btw, I don’t blame the UB for this at all. It’s been part of the fans repertoire since I’ve been a supporter.

We have to change - all of us.

I’m a massive fan of the union bears . To me they are still the future of our Ibrox singing and atmosphere .

However I agree with most of your OP - the time is now to steer things in the right direction . If that doesn’t happen it could be the end , just as we were building momentum .

Let’s not forget the great songs the union bears have reintroduced and new ones belted out - 4 lads had a dream , Saturday we follow , amazing grace etc .

Doomsday scenario?
No, it's not.

Not a UB member but admire the way they get Ibrox bouncing and imo we need them. However we need them to cut out the songs and add ons that get is in bother. To that end sadly the club need to take lead and stop playing Simply The Best as the add ons will get us in bother also. Club cant have it both ways.
I truely hope UBs dont take huff and get on with supporting Rangers and leading us in song.

UB vs the club is much like the club vs UEFA - they're going to need to play by their rules since any fight would be a mismatch.

Doomsday scenario?
No, it's not.

I agree completely and just as an aside, to any of the UBs about to jump on this, if you dont grow up and work with the Club here then any chance of your section being considered for a safe standing area has gone.

Why are everybody blaming the union bears and putting it all on them to sort out the song list.when I have been at Ibrox or watching the games on rtv tbb or super ranges is started by the other parts of the stadium.70% of what the ub’s sing is about rangers or the players.they have brought back some old rangers songs.i have even heard them singing rangers easy ok.

Oh great, another thread blaming the Union Bears. I’ve sang the songs plenty of times and so has most people around me and I don’t sit in BF1. Anyone that’s been to any Old Firm, European or any away game at home or abroad knows it’s far more than them that sing these songs.

Blame them though because it’s the easiest group to categorise.

Maybe if the union bears are actively seen/heard trying to help the songsheet then the club would be more encouraged to cater for them. It is a shame I'm all for dropping the word 19th Century Terrorist and we have a load of acceptable songs that we no longer sing that need brought back.

Why are everybody blaming the union bears and putting it all on them to sort out the song list.when I have been at Ibrox or watching the games on rtv tbb or super ranges is started by the other parts of the stadium.70% of what the ub’s sing is about rangers or the players.they have brought back some old rangers songs.i have even heard them singing rangers easy ok.
Some fans would rather put the blame at the door of the UB, whilst most of Ibrox sing the exact same songs as them.

FARE reported TBB as coming from BF1.

I'm not blaming the UB for anything, I've sung these songs myself. I think it's important they lead the way though.

In the interests of transparency and to avoid being hypocritical, so have I, mate.
To generalise, we've all sung them in the past.

I don't, however, do anything that would damage the club, and haven't done so for many a year.

This is a line in the sand moment for us as a support.
What's done is done – what's now important is how we move on from the past.

Doomsday scenario?
No, it's not.

Bullshit. It’s not only the Union Bears who sing these songs.

I don’t think the UB deserve the finger pointing they seem to be receiving from many on here in the past 24 hours. The implication that they’re the only ones singing the banned songs and using the banned words is well wide of the mark. They’re representative of the support as a whole; some did, some didn’t.

But they can absolutely be a catalyst for good going forward. They can agree to adhere to the bans en masse. They can start other songs when they hear TBB starting up elsewhere. They can use their weight of numbers to help.

Are they responsible for the behaviour of others, absolutely not. But they can help change it.

Doomsday scenario?
No, it's not.

Im not a member but Im a big fan of the UB.

Im disgusted with those in the "wider support" who love nothing better than having a go at the UB while they sit back and contribute little if anything to the atmosphere and support for the team apart from their ST money.

I wouldnt be surprised if the UB walked away from the situation and left the rest to sit in silence.

Doomsday scenario?
No, it's not.

Excellent post mate.

I also wait for the Gangrene Brigade too be punished and demonised in the same way by Uefa etc (waits with baited breath) :rolleyes:

I don’t think the UB deserve the finger pointing they seem to be receiving from many on here in the past 24 hours. The implication that they’re the only ones singing the banned songs and using the banned words is well wide of the mark. They’re representative of the support as a whole; some did, some didn’t.

But they can absolutely be a catalyst for good going forward. They can agree to adhere to the bans en masse. They can start other songs when they hear TBB starting up elsewhere. They can use their weight of numbers to help.

Are they responsible for the behaviour of others, absolutely not. But they can help change it.
of course they are not the only ones singing but if you set yourself up as the singing section and lead the songs with a megaphone then the spotlight will fall on you, also they have plenty of previous and on this occasion "it wisnae us" wont cut it im afraid.

I'm of the opinion that if it's only the Billy boys and "we are Rangers" that are the offending songs then surely it won't be that hard to eradicate?

When BF1 started there was no sign of the Billy boys, over the years it's crept back in due to the away support aswell, to blame the union bears alone (which some seem to be doing) is harsh!

Personally I thought we had a good opportunity to add more Rangers stuff into our song book with the WATP sessions.

Not really the time for dick measuring contests. Can’t pin this solely on the UB and take the moral high ground as you can guarantee 95% of this forum who attend matches have sung the songs in question already this season at European games.

I don't care if my OP ruffles feathers, that's not my intention.
I just want what's best for my club.

If certain groups – and the support in general – need to hear some hard truths, then so be it.

The sad thing is there are so many positives the UB's can bring. I sat in the Family Stand above them for during Warburton's time here and the way they way they interacted with kids up there and got them to join in with the songs (Magic Hat song and Warburton's Blue and White Army for example) was absolutely brilliant to watch.

But the last couple of years, IMO anyway, has saw a change in direction from them. The flyer before the Celtic match in 2018 for example was a massive own goal and just bone headedly stupid on their part.

Last edited:
There is a collective responsibility for where we are now but the Union Bears should now be pro-active and offer to be a major part of the solution (a no brainer for them if they have any sense). For many years now they have been recognized as our 'cheerleaders' so they are best placed to lead our cheers.

Never been a better opportunity for them IMO if they have the where withall to take it?

Bullshit. It’s not only the Union Bears who sing these songs.

Are we not constantly told how they are they are now the only place in the stadium with some atmosphere, no one else sings etc.?

The point OP is making is they do make the most noise and if they lead the way, the rest of the stadium will either be drowned out of follow suit. It's a good idea and the only one that will keep them alive as a group. Hopefully they care more about Rangers than their own group and take this on board.

I'm not blaming the UB for anything, I've sung these songs myself. I think it's important they lead the way though.

But did you sing them after UEFA told us not to in 2006?

The BB was finished at Ibrox (except in a random outbreak v Queen’s Park). But hasn’t been creeping back since around 2015. The UB arnt blameless in that, I was in the BR for the Hibs game and was really surprised that Ross was on the mic leading into the BB by singing the original version (which would obviously lead to 19th Century Terrorist blood). I am always a supporter of their attempts to improve Ibrox, but a bit of egoism has taken hold.

I think you can possibly work back to unravel event from spring.

- chants at Steve clark
- board tell UB they are not moving to BF3
- UB protest
- board looking for a smoking gun to close area for good

This looks like it has an inevitable, depressing ending.

Last edited:

Doomsday scenario?
No, it's not.

Cant argue with any of that. The stakes are enormous. No way Gerrard will hang about if we have been kicked out and banned for being 'racist'. Yes we know 19th Century Terrorist is not a race but UEFA dont give a %^*&. I'm worried that our season is about to be derailed massively because if this.

Anyone who sings these songs going forward is actively trying to destroy our club. We've taken a massive hit to our reputation, and any further sanctions are only going to do more damage

For those, predictably, saying it's wrong to single out the Union Bears, I can't be any clearer in my OP about what I want to happen going forwards:
I want the Union Bears to work with the club to achieve the end result of a packed and atmospheric Ibrox with the fans' group leading the way and showcasing their many admirable qualities.

The Union Bears are not immune from criticism, however – and certainly not over this current issue with UEFA.

Actually, I don't know why I'm spelling this out, it's all there in the OP.
I'm just not sure some posters are actually reading what I've said.

Best starter post and topic I’ve read over the last 24 hours. Couldn’t agree more - is 100% do or die for the UB. Sadly I also agree with the prediction of the position the UB will likely take. However if their position is to look to harm and damage Rangers then they can’t have an argument if they are banned from Ibrox. They can be a force for good over this issue or sign their own death wish, up to them and their leaders to decide.

If it was primarily the UB section that was the issue then they need to take stock and quickly.

Sort it or the club will be forced to sort it.

I hate to throw rocks at my own but collective brains really need to be engaged here before some real damage is done.

No doubt we’ve all sung inappropriate songs but most of us grow up and realise that they are irrelevant to our club and stop.
Reading the posts here since yesterday makes one appreciate that many are stuck in the 17/18th centuries and possibly our club will be stuck in and endless loop of needless conflict.

I totally agree with the OP.
You can't be the section who lead the singing and take the deserved acclaim for it, especially when the ground joins in, then not see the obvious conclusion when the ground joins in the unacceptable songs.

I really hope the UB will be sensible and mature enough to see this as their chance to lead the support through a quick and permanent change for good. The credit they would get for it would be huge. But if they decide to take offence at being singled out or to refuse to change as we are being singled out, it would sadly only end one way.

If they can't be mature about the situation, the club will take the matter out of their own hands.

They staged a protest, as is their right, but you describe it as a "huff". That's disrespectful and, dare I say it, immature.

Dont forget the UB are fans like you and me. They work hard to create an atmosphere while others do nothing. If they walk away Ibrox will be dead. That might suit some.

To be honest the UB could actually seize the initiative here and progress their relationship with the club, a sort of "we will scratch your back if you scratch ours".

If the UB sit down with the club and offer to TRY and lead the way in changing the songbook at Ibrox and beyond then maybe the club will be more willing to work with them towards things like a standing section.

Let's take this setback and use it to our advantage. Let's move our songbook into the 21st century and keep on building on the good work that Steven Gerrard and his staff have done so far.

Let's not risk it all by refusing to stop singing words that dont even deserve a place in our stadium.

Let's not risk losing Steven Gerrard.

Back