Big Borna

Come off it mate, you said ‘most of their success’. I can’t remember any other success bar that one cross.

Same goes to yourself, criticise him for stuff he does wrong – you don’t need to make stuff up to criticise him for too.

What have I made up? St Mirren had 1 good chance and 2 half chances, all of which came down our left hand side.

We have high standards for our players, Barisic hasn’t regularly met those yet in my opinion. That’s not writing him off, that’s not overly critical. I still think there’s a possibility he’ll come good, but I won’t blindly defend him when it’s not warranted.

I’ll be more than delighted if he turns it round and starts putting in Tav level performances. There would be no disappointment on my part if he ends up excelling in the role, albeit I feel some of the more militant would be happier to be proved correct.

I’m certainly not one of them, though.

If Halliday or Flanagan had put in a performance like that today, I bet most people would have been happy

Last 3 games we've had 3 different LB's and the only poor performance was Halliday who is usually pretty solid

Borna never let anyone down today, But he needs to be more consistent and start giving us for 7 out of 10 performances instead of the 5 out of 10

Was a great goal. He didn't have the best of games but he had a decent game - he certainly wasn't poor though. However, for some it won't matter what he does.

His head certainly came up when he got his goal so it's clear confidence is playing a big part. He's trying and things haven't been working out. He is a very good player that need to keep playing. The gaffer obviously thinks he deserved his goal and was very pleased at him getting it. Was talking to Gerrard throughout the game as well.

Still capable of being a top player even if some of our own don't want him to be.

Thumbs up from me.

If Halliday or Flanagan had put in a performance like that today, I bet most people would have been happy

Last 3 games we've had 3 different LB's and the only poor performance was Halliday who is usually pretty solid

Borna never let anyone down today, But he needs to be more consistent and start giving us for 7 out of 10 performances instead of the 5 out of 10

Halliday got a fair amount of criticism after East Fife (and probably deservedly so).

I agree that we need more 7 and 8s from Borna. He’s capable, it’s just whether he can do what’s needed.

What have I made up? St Mirren had 1 good chance and 2 half chances, all of which came down our left hand side.

We have high standards for our players, Barisic hasn’t regularly met those yet in my opinion. That’s not writing him off, that’s not overly critical. I still think there’s a possibility he’ll come good, but I won’t blindly defend him when it’s not warranted.

I’ll be more than delighted if he turns it round and starts putting in Tav level performances. There would be no disappointment on my part if he ends up excelling in the role, albeit I feel some of the more militant would be happier to be proved correct.

I’m certainly not one of them, though.

What were the 2 half chances that were his fault?

Ive slaughtered him since half way through last season. Superb goal today. He seemed a nervous wreck on the post match interview i think that reflects his style on the pitch. Im not saying hes suddenly a superb player but lets see if that will help his confidence.

Delighted for him, his confidence has been shot so hopefully he get's it back after today. Wand of a left foot and there always has been a player in there. We are top of the league.

What were the 2 half chances that were his fault?

First one was when he allowed the ball to bounce in the final third, relinquishing possession and thankfully St Mirren’s impotence broke the move down, second one was the cross that hit the back post where I’d argue he could have closed down quicker (albeit McGregor would have ultimately been the most culpable for that one).

The problem with the left back position as a whole, is Flanagan likely would have stopped all 3 defensive issues due to the way he attacks the ball, but then no one steps up and gets the winner.

I’ll reiterate, I appreciate Borna’s contribution today. Without him we don’t win the game. I just don’t think it’s unfair to continue to expect more from the rest of his game, as he’s not always going to be banging in free kicks from 30 yards.

The boy looks so far outside his comfort zone it's unreal, looks absolutely terrified on the ball and even more scared defending.

First one was when he allowed the ball to bounce in the final third, relinquishing possession and thankfully St Mirren’s impotence broke the move down, second one was the cross that hit the back post where I’d argue he could have closed down quicker (albeit McGregor would have ultimately been the most culpable for that one).

The problem with the left back position as a whole, is Flanagan likely would have stopped all 3 defensive issues due to the way he attacks the ball, but then no one steps up and gets the winner.

I’ll reiterate, I appreciate Borna’s contribution today. Without him we don’t win the game. I just don’t think it’s unfair to continue to expect more from the rest of his game, as he’s not always going to be banging in free kicks from 30 yards.

I 100% agree on expecting more, especially going forward, but even you have to admit those two ‘half-chances’ are beyond scraping the barrel. A wild cross to no cünt that happened to hit the post and another that wasn’t even an quarter-chance let alone a half-chance.

I 100% agree on expecting more, especially going forward, but even you have to admit those two ‘half-chances’ are beyond scraping the barrel. A wild cross to no cünt that happened to hit the post and another that wasn’t even a chance let alone a half-chance.

The point being they came from defensive mistakes or inadequacies. They were less of an issue against St Mirren, since they’re pish, but if that was to happen again on Thursday, we’re less likely to get away with it like we did today.

I’d like to see him be far more aggressive against the opposition. Doesn’t need to be flying into tackles, but at least compete a more for 50/50s. He doesn’t look like he believes he’ll win them, such as the ball he let bounce.

He had a good game today and proved he can be a match winner with his free kicks.

Best set piece taker at the Club.

Those saying he had a bad game, I’m not sure what you were watching tbh. Some people’s biases outweigh the evidence they see in front of them.
He never had a bad game today but needs to work on closing down his opponent earlier.
It is no coincidence that st boo gaffer put on McAllister and targeted him.
Did ok against a tricky player but it shows you where others think our weakness is.

He never had a bad game today but needs to work on closing down his opponent earlier.
It is no coincidence that st boo gaffer put on McAllister and targeted him.
Did ok against a tricky player but it shows you where others think our weakness is.
I don’t think it’s wise for our left back to press a winger when the CB covering him (Helander) isn’t exactly known for his recovery pace.

As one of (if not his biggest) critic.
Well done Borna Barisic
What a free kick and absolutely vital goal

I can't believe what I've just read ;)

giphy.gif

Was fine today. Standard responses on here though. His play seems to get micro managed. Similar to the treatment Tav got, and to a degree still gets.

The point being they came from defensive mistakes or inadequacies. They were less of an issue against St Mirren, since they’re pish, but if that was to happen again on Thursday, we’re less likely to get away with it like we did today.

I’d like to see him be far more aggressive against the opposition. Doesn’t need to be flying into tackles, but at least compete a more for 50/50s. He doesn’t look like he believes he’ll win them, such as the ball he let bounce.

No, the point being you said they got most of their success down his side and went on to qualify that with a ‘half-chance’ that was a wild cross to nobody and a ‘half-chance’ that was nothing.

I agree he has to offer more going forward, I agree he has to be more aggressive when defending – but let’s be honest about his performance and stop searching for anything to mark as a negative.

No, the point being you said they got most of their success down his side and went on to qualify that with a ‘half-chance’ that was a wild cross to nobody and a ‘half-chance’ that was nothing.

I agree he has to offer more going forward, I agree he has to be more aggressive when defending – but let’s be honest about his performance and stop searching for anything to mark as a negative.

What else do you want to call it? The only time they even remotely looked like scoring came from his side. That’s not even debatable.

They then bring on a winger to target that side. Do you think that was coincidence?

I’m being perfectly honest about his performance, you’re the one that seems to be in denial here.

These are the games hes going to play in,when we need a bit more defensively ie..the next 2 games,I fully expect Flanagan to be playing.

What else do you want to call it? The only time they even remotely looked like scoring came from his side. That’s not even debatable.

They then bring on a winger to target that side. Do you think that was coincidence?

I’m being perfectly honest about his performance, you’re the one that seems to be in denial here.

You’re right, the one time they remotely looked like scoring was the one through Borna’s legs. That’s it. The others weren’t chances.

Brining on a winger to target his side means nothing in the context of a single game – they’d caused no bother down his side at all at that point.

Would help if he had a wide player in front of him who didn’t keep giving the ball away. Jones was very poor today.

Jones was poor but he needs to be an attacking threat himself....I don't expect him to be Tav but I'd like him to at least try to do some things on his own.

Every single Rangers fan wants him to succeed. Not every single Rangers fan is 100% narrow minded and can look at him, his performances and persona objectively.

Great goal. 3 points.

We move on

People like to stick to their opinions and be proved right it's human nature but if you give opinions on players who don't start well then the odd one disproves you over time. When that happens you should be delighted and be big enough to say I got it wrong I hope BB does that to me but I'm still far from convinced-I hope he kicks on clearly he's trying as SG alluded to but I do wonder about his self-belief.

The free kick is out of this world.

Only a complete moron doesn't want him to succeed-encouraging that the manager said there he is pushing on in training-that's good to hear.

The goal should give him confidence but he's got miles to go in terms of what we need at LB even today the number of times he cuts back is incredibly frustrating-he nees to be capable of going into tight areas and making things happen.

This is my biggest problem with him as well.

Just looks so one-footed when he gets the ball up the pitch and doesn't have a trick to beat a man, or the power to go past them ala Tav.

He’s been a disappointment so far, so lets get that out of the way first before anyone accuses me of accepting mediocrity. He has to do a lot better, but there’s no doubt in my mind there’s an agenda against the guy so strong that even when he gives a decent performance he’s still repeatedly singled out by the same dullards time and again.

Flanagan (who was said to be one of the worst defenders we’d ever signed last year by the experts) sells two cheap goals in consecutive games and it’s all very quiet, Halliday stinks he place out and gives up a clear chance against a bunch of plumbers and postmen and it’s all very quiet. Barisic is beaten once, does not much else wrong and scores a spectacular match winning goal, and it’s still littered with comments like “still shite”, “heart of a mouse”, “passes backwards too often”, “still sell him when the first offer comes in”.

The biggest contrast would be between the way he and Tav are perceived, I love Tavernier, he really does bring so much to the side, has grown as a captain and is clearly FAR more important to use than Barisic. But if he makes a mistake, good luck pointing it out, because you’ll be ambushed with folk desperately trying to shift the blame to anyone but him. He is the polar opposite from Barisic in that he’s bullet proof. Irony is, “heart of a mouse” could have easily been a criticism made of Tav a coupe of years back, because when the team were getting turned over with ease he more or less threw in the towel with the rest of them, especially in the league ‘decider’ at the piggery.

Barisic has to do more and show far more consistency, but the feeding frenzy that ensues after every performance is beyond pathetic at this point.

He was garbage before the goal. Then scored a screamer. He was visibly more confident the rest of the game and improved.

So basically, everyone who has been claiming it is mental thing appears to be correct. Let's home he kicks on from here. Still way too many crosses down his side.
Tav has had multiple games over the seasons that have not only lost us goals but cost us games with slack passing but you can't give him stick, oh no.

He’s been a disappointment so far, so lets get that out of the way first before anyone accuses me of accepting mediocrity. He has to do a lot better, but there’s no doubt in my mind there’s an agenda against the guy so strong that even when he gives a decent performance he’s still repeatedly singled out by the same dullards time and again.

Flanagan (who was said to be one of the worst defenders we’d ever signed last year by the experts) sells two cheap goals in consecutive games and it’s all very quiet, Halliday stinks he place out and gives up a clear chance against a bunch of plumbers and postmen and it’s all very quiet. Barisic is beaten once, does not much else wrong and scores a spectacular match winning goal, and it’s still littered with comments like “still shite”, “heart of a mouse”, “passes backwards too often”, “still sell him when the first offer comes in”.

The biggest contrast would be between the way he and Tav are perceived, I love Tavernier, he really does bring so much to the side, has grown as a captain and is clearly FAR more important to use than Barisic. But if he makes a mistake, good luck pointing it out, because you’ll be ambushed with folk desperately trying to shift the blame to anyone but him. He is the polar opposite from Barisic in that he’s bullet proof. Irony is, “heart of a mouse” could have easily been a criticism made of Tav a coupe of years back, because when the team were getting turned over with ease he more or less threw in the towel with the rest of them, especially in the league ‘decider’ at the piggery.

Barisic has to do more and show far more consistency, but the feeding frenzy that ensues after every performance is beyond pathetic at this point.
Can't disagree with any of this.

Moments of skill like that can make yje difference in a title race. We kept a clean sheet with him in defence and he scored the match winner gaining us 2 points we could have easily dropped.

He's clearly a confidence player so maybe it's time we start backing him properly.

Rangers left back has decent game, in a defence that doesn't concede and scores a top notch free kick which wins the match.

Still not good enough for some.

I have seen our other left backs turn in many poor performances and who are prone to selling the jerseys on occasion without half the aggro Borna gets. Why is the bar set so much higher for him?

Back